Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood (2522 Views)

Jay Z & Solange’s Fight Compared With Ray Rice & Fiancée (julius Agwu's Version) / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood / Jeta Amata Is Working On A New Thriller With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 5:07am On Aug 15, 2005
It's kind of suprising to hear you guys ask if Denzel would make it in Nollywood. I reserve my comments but Nollywood or whatever is real crap.

Its only in Nigerian movies you can predict what can happen, If they don't use charm, they use the church as if they are in Vatican city. Not to talk of those midgets they use for the role of small boys, Real crap. Each tyme i see them act as little boys it saddens my heart.

Please never compare Any Nollywood or crap to Holywood, please.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 5:14am On Aug 15, 2005
you're nigerian you have to support Nigeria ..duh!. don't criticize. hope/pray it gets better.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 5:16am On Aug 15, 2005
Not all Nigerian movies are based on charm/church. have you seen "Games women Play"? That movie was a very good movie. It was totaly non-predictable. I predicted all i could predict but the movie totaly proved my predictions wrong. I agree to the fact that they use those old men to act little kids part. That is so annoying.

And ohhh puh-lease spare me the part of not comparing Nollywood movies to Hollywood movies. Not all Hollywood movies are good/makes sense. You just watch some movies and u wish u had watched a NIgerian movie instead. Some Hollywood movies makes me sick and want to puke. Most Nollywood movies beats some Hollywood movies Hands-down. Example of hollywood movie that made me puke is Pieces of April. And some other movies.

Hollywood movies are like so over-rated. I ain't saying Nollywood movies are[b] Good[/b], i am just saying, we demote and criticize them too much. Nollywood movies are stuffs that happen in Nigeria, Nigerians are mostly[i] juju freaks, 419 freaks, or church freaks[/i]. While Nollywood movies are like what happens in America, Friction, action, Science, Kids in Love, and whatnot.

SOme Americans watch these Nollywood movies we NIgerians Criticize and they are like, wow that was good.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 5:38am On Aug 15, 2005
Wesley i am Nigerian but it sickens me when i hear people say trash. 95% of Nigerian movies are on the same story line, Either someone use charm on the other or the pastor casted out evil spirit,

Angel dont tell that not all nigerian movies are predictable, despite the fact you mentioned one or two dont mean that they aint predictable. for example, why is that in almost every movie if one person does charm on the other he must always pay by getting mad or blood gushing out of his mouth after confessing his sins. Or someone forgives his uncle who killed his dad, they repeat the same thingy over and over again but in another way. That industry is dead and has no hope of revival. I hate to say this No nigerian Actor or Actress deserves to be nominated for any awards in West Africa not even Africa as a whole.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 5:43am On Aug 15, 2005
no nigerian actor/actresses deserves an award except my fav. actress omotola J. (because she rocks.) and H-Angel's fav. actor/actress. i'm guessing nddy doesn't have one. too bad.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 5:45am On Aug 15, 2005
Jolade has always been good for Nollywood (crap)
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 5:46am On Aug 15, 2005
hey. she's my role model cool not that i wan't to act or anything. but she still is... don't bash her liek that!
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 5:48am On Aug 15, 2005
You are wrong nddy. You said all Nigerian Movies, are predictable, If i can name some that are not predictable, that means, not [b]all [/b]of them are.

And all the blood gushing out thingy, these things happen in NIgeria..seriously, you might not see them regularly, but they do happen. The stuffs that are being acted in Nigerian movies are stuffs that happen in NIgeria. I agree that their production is bad, and also that most movies are re-make of other ones. the industry is not dead, because if they are dead...u wouldn't be talking about them.

There are movies (nigerian movies) out there, that are extremely interesting and you'd wish u can watch them, over and over again (i don't have lists). There are defintely actors and actresses that i will even nominate for the Emmy award! Trust me! SOme actors/actresses in Nigeria acts good. The only thing that hides their talent is the story line, and or people that they are acting with. Most NIgerian actresses are good, and they know what they r doing. talk about Liz benson, RMD, that old man (Olu jacobs), Gennivive, Omotola, Ramsey noah, patience ozokwor, teco benson, sam something, jim iyke, ini edo, some hidden talents and so many others.

I don't want you thinking i am in total support of NIgerian movies, i am just tryna tell u that Nigerian movies/actors/actresses aren't as bad as you think they are.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 5:52am On Aug 15, 2005
Wesley are u tryna tell me Olu Jacobs, stephanie okereke doesn't deserve awards Y'all should please wake up and realize that there's no way a black man can turn white. NIgerians will act like Nigerians, and Americans will act like Americans.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 6:03am On Aug 15, 2005
Gosh Angel i am not totally against it but it freaks me out when nigerians try to upgrade their stands by pulling shoulders with the best movie industry in the world.. For goodness sake there is a big gap, its not going to get up to half in our own generation. not even our kids. It's not as if i hate the country but the I hate when they try to compare themselves to developed nations that have gone far. To me the industry has no future - it's dead. no hope. Lovers of Nollywood, no offense, pls try something different.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 6:07am On Aug 15, 2005
no hope? what do you mean no hope? Dead? what in the world are you thinking. wake up. nollywood is sooooooo not dead.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 6:09am On Aug 15, 2005
Two words: I disagree!

The industry has a future. Everyone has a future! There's hope, if people like you learn to appreciate and develop the industry. There can be a big gap but who doesn't want to learn from the best? They r compaaring themselves to Hollywood because they want to learn from Hollywood in other to improve.
WHy do you think Nigerian producers produces movies and shoot guns and try to make their movie as "americanized" as possible it's all just to satisfy people like you that aren't satisfied. Example of this movies are "GSM connection", "Terror". The Nigerian movie Industries are trying, they are doing all they can do to improve, but we nigerians don't want to see that...all we see is the bad side of them! We don't see the side of them that has[b] "we are trying"[/b] writen all over it.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 6:17am On Aug 15, 2005
When you commend something and say you are trying it means no future. For the past ten or fourteen years no definite improvement. The improvement is stagnant; it's not visible.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 6:19am On Aug 15, 2005
nddy:

WHEN YOU COMMEND SOMETHING AND SAY YOU ARE TRYING IT MEANS NO FUTURE. FOR THE PAST TEN OR FOURTEEN YEARS NO DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT . THE IMPROVEMENT IS STAGNANT. ITS NOT VISIBLE

hehe you were probably 3 or something how would you know if it improved or not. puhlease....
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 6:21am On Aug 15, 2005
angry angry

When you are trying, it means you want to be better. Being better is a great future.
STFU angry. For the past fourteen years there have been improvement. Nothing is stagnant, things change. Do u watch NIgerian movies at all??
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 6:30am On Aug 15, 2005
what has improved, maybe the intoduction of those lil boys, its just replacing stupid things with stupid things. they dont improve they just replace old tires with fairly used owns. notin new
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 6:32am On Aug 15, 2005
why do you always look @the bad side of things and never at the good side. you're sick nddy. grab some medication.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 6:33am On Aug 15, 2005
Watch nigerian movies then come and tell me if something as improved or not. Are you sure you've seen old movie Dude....there are changes. Watch a movie that was made in 1998 and watch movies that are made in 2004.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 6:42am On Aug 15, 2005
ok can you give me an example. I cant find any. they have the same story line from 1998 to 2005. Notin changes. As i said earlier the just replace the stupid things with things more stupid). I aint saying i dont watch nigerian movies but please they have not reached the stage to dine with the masters. They have a long way to go. Pls Genny or Genevieve aint gat what it takes to be in Hollywood
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 6:47am On Aug 15, 2005
We ain't saying they should dine with masters. We are talking about them improving. You said they have no future...so i had to prove you wrong.
As for genevieve's dream, it could happen, but probability of it's happening is as low as my temperature.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2005
then why say you would nominate her and some guys for emmys. oh gosh
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 6:52am On Aug 15, 2005
not emmys!!! didn't you say an african award or something
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 6:59am On Aug 15, 2005
I said i would nominate them for emmy's because most of them act good. You are like sooooooooo against Nigerian actors and actresses.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:13am On Aug 15, 2005
do you understand the meaning of getting an emmy's nomination
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:14am On Aug 15, 2005
gosh
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:15am On Aug 15, 2005
i won't say they deserve emmys but at least they deserve more than the crap you're feeding them
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:19am On Aug 15, 2005
i doubt it
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:22am On Aug 15, 2005
Is it just me or don't u know what emmy is?? Did u see that crazy girl that won emmy's for best international movie. Acting "Maria Full of Grace". The movie was a total waste of time. It was a french movie. Very stupid and it doesn't even deserve a piece of my ass. But it got an emmy.
If Nollywood movies are promoted to international levels, just like french movies and indian movies, and the all-known Fake Chinese movies , I bet one of our actress or actors would win an Emmy award. International emmy award that is.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:25am On Aug 15, 2005
you don't have any rights whatsoever to talk ill of any of those stars by the ways you know (minus the untalented ones)     who do you think you are, G-d, we might as well bow down before  you rolleyes
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:41am On Aug 15, 2005
why do nigerians hate critics, most people dont understand what criticism is all about. the fact i criticise dont mean i dont respect them as humans. You see when you listen to your critics more than people who praise then know you are heading somewhere. i can tell you cant distinguish what criticism is all about.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:43am On Aug 15, 2005
it's a good thing to criticize but it's another thing to be extreme about it. you sounded like simon cowell you know?
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:43am On Aug 15, 2005
If you have payed close attention to this whole thread, you would see that i criticized Nigerian movies. You were totaly against it, you were like[i] NO moving forward, like they gon be stagnant forever, like nothing good is gonna happen in the Nigerian movie Industry[/i]. It's one thing to criticize and it's annother thing to totaly be against them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prison Break Downloads, Help! / First Nollywood, Hollywood & Bollywood Movie You Ever Watched? / What Tv Show Consumed You? Best Cliffhangers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.