Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,935 members, 7,803,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? (21857 Views)

How To Reduce Data Consumption In Windows 8.1 (disable BITS) / Computer Village Shut Down Temporarily. / How Do I Disable Or Bypass My ISP Firewall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by haizeek(m): 9:28am On Apr 02, 2013
For various reasons, i want my laptop to appear broken to others at a certain point. these people are computer literate.
Whats the best way to temporarily disable the computer from working?

1 Like

Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by haizeek(m): 9:50am On Apr 02, 2013
am using hp
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
What is your operating system?
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by onegig(m): 3:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Guy..me no fit give you wetin you want but damn What's the use....?

I know some hard to please peeps who would use your system like rain water... Here's it bro...but be careful

-start->run->cmd
-type 'start notepad'
In the notepad window
-type '@echo off'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-highlight and copy all the 'start notepad' crap and then press and hold the ctrl+v keys on the keyboard to paste that about a million times
-click file and save as
-select all files as the filetype
-save the file as start.bat to the root c:
-close notepad
-In the command prompt window type 'reg add hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentv… /v start /d c:\start.bat'

Now whenever you start the computer it will attempt to load the thousands of instances of notepad that you put in the .bat file and the computer will lock up when trying to do pretty much anything.

Just boot into safe mode by tapping F8 on startup and choose safe mode and move the file from the c: to anywhere else and it will boot up fine.

type 'reg SPACE add SPACE hklm\software\microsoft\windows NO SPACE \currentversion\run /v start /d c:\start.bat'

If that doesn't make sense, then the abbreviated version

r a h\s\m\w\c\r /v s /d c:\path

Hope that makes sense.
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
On Windows XP set your page file size to 0. This will keep the system at welcome screen, it won't boot beyond that point.
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by haizeek(m): 8:19am On Apr 04, 2013
chuks315: What is your operating system?

window seven
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by haizeek(m): 8:21am On Apr 04, 2013
onegig: Guy..me no fit give you wetin you want but damn What's the use....?

I know some hard to please peeps who would use your system like rain water... Here's it bro...but be careful

-start->run->cmd
-type 'start notepad'
In the notepad window
-type '@echo off'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-highlight and copy all the 'start notepad' crap and then press and hold the ctrl+v keys on the keyboard to paste that about a million times
-click file and save as
-save the file as start.bat to the root c:
-close notepad
-In the command prompt window type 'reg add hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentv… /v start /d c:\start.bat'

Now whenever you start the computer it will attempt to load the thousands of instances of notepad that you put in the .bat file and the computer will lock up when trying to do pretty much anything.

Just boot into safe mode by tapping F8 on startup and choose safe mode and move the file from the c: to anywhere else and it will boot up fine.

type 'reg SPACE add SPACE hklm\software\microsoft\windows NO SPACE \currentversion\run /v start /d c:\start.bat'

If that doesn't make sense, then the abbreviated version

r a h\s\m\w\c\r /v s /d c:\path

Hope that makes sense.

bro me no understand this one
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 04, 2013
You can make the computer slow, by reducing the amount of RAM the computer will work with. It will discourage people from using the computer.

Open Run type msconfig Click OK. It will open 'System Configuration'
Click 'Boot' Tab
Click 'Advanced options' button
Click 'Maximum memory' check box, set the value relative to the actual amount of RAM. Example 1/4 or 25% ie 256MB if you have 1GB RAM, 512MB if you have 2GB RAM or peg it at 512MB regardless of your RAM size.
Click OK, Apply, OK
Restart the computer for the setting to take effect.

To undo the setting simply uncheck the 'Maximum memory' check box. If the system is too slow, that opening the System Configuration takes long, Restart the system in safe mode and undo the setting.

You can also try 'Base video' under 'Boot' tab 'Boot options'. This setting will reduce[shrink] the display area of the screen, effective discouraging gaming. It will make 15.6" screen look like 10"

PS: Page file option will not work if you have a high amount of RAM. (or above minimum requirement)
Re: How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working? by onegig(m): 10:00am On Apr 04, 2013
haizeek:

bro me no understand this one

Let me explain to you.

Open notepad, In the notepad window
-type '@echo off'
-type 'start notepad' press enter and continously type start notepad on a newline..
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-type 'start notepad'
-click file and save as
-save the file as start.bat to the root i.e the local disk C:
-close notepad

open command prompt..

-In the command prompt window type 'reg add SPACE hklm\software\microsoft\windows NO SPACE \currentversion\run /v start /d c:\start.bat'

(1) (Reply)

Hp Elitebook 8460p Intel Core I5 128gbssd or 320gbhdd/4gb@50k / How To Hack A Facebook Account / Best Place To Buy World Class Computer Accessories In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.