Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. (19421 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Pampering Of Kids; Is It True Love For Kids Or Misconception Of Love? / People Who Choose Not To Have Kids Or Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by bebe2(f): 5:42pm On Apr 02, 2013
i didnt know the best way to structure the subject jare embarassed, but i know wat i want to ask grin

pple often assume that kids living abroad are spoilt. e.g my mum came to visit and she kept complaining my kids are spoilt. so and so cant wash dishes, so n so cries too much etc. children at home dnt behave like this u need to be firmer.
then i went home to visit and met my sister's kids (they live wit my mum), oh dear lord, the 6yr old was rotten he wanted his way and he got it. he would scream the house down. disobey u and runoutside as if to say come and chase me. my mum kept saying " may God deliver dis boy o" i cudnt keep to my self i had to confront my mum. she said no mind am o, na devil dey manifest himself. grin cheesy

wats ur opinion or experience

1 Like

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by ZACHIE: 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Naughtier is appropriate
The mother makes the children. How she wants them to be is above all a reflection of how she was brought up.

10 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by bebe2(f): 6:26pm On Apr 02, 2013
ZACHIE: Naughtier is appropriate
The mother makes the children. How she wants them to be is above all a reflection of how she was brought up.

Noted, tanks.
As per topic, all kids have a degree of stubboness born with dem. some are worse than other depending on how the parents handle them cool
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by jidewin(m): 1:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
maybe been naughty runs in the family grin grin grin kidding.. but as a parent,be firm in areas that will positively enhance the children's societal influence.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
They are both as bad as each other. I lived in two countries for a period of time and so I would know grin

However, kids in Nigeria have more respect for their elders unlike the kids abroad.

12 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by coogar: 7:27pm On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123: They are both as bad as each other. I lived in two countries for a period of time and so I would know grin

However, kids in Nigeria have more respect for their elders unlike the kids abroad.

the so-called respect is shrouded by hypocrisy.....
the kids in naija are as bad as the ones abroad. the only difference is the kids abroad are trained to be upfront and outspoken. the ones in naija are trained to listen and not talk back. their minds are the same but one is free to express himself while the other is meant to keep mute!

40 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

the kids in naija are as bad as the ones abroad. the only difference is the kids abroad to be upfront and outspoken. the ones in naija are trained to listen and not talk back. their minds are the same but one is free to express himself while the other is meant to keep mute!
you have a good point there.
maybe its the 'kids' that i hang around with are respectful to their elders. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 1:19am On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

the kids in naija are as bad as the ones abroad. the only difference is the kids abroad to be upfront and outspoken. the ones in naija are trained to listen and not talk back. their minds are the same but one is free to express himself while the other is meant to keep mute!

sad but why would a kid talk back to his or her elders? To prove what? That they are really outspoken and rude?... By the time an outspoken and upfront child embarrasses you, infront of your friends and colleagues, and you see the frown and shock on their faces, then u will understand. A child should be trained on how to listen , think before asking questions mildly , not lousely. And when that outspoken child grows up, especially the mum the op says na devil dey display, abi?
Don't worry when he grows up, I pray say the Devil no go truly display... Then the mother will know what unrest , high bp, and fear means, especially when she is old and frail.
Av seen such scenarios, happen on several occasions, and where does it leads? Uncontrollable tears and incessant increase of Bp, which leads to untimely death of such parents.
To before warned , is to before armed...am not saying terrorize a child when bringing him or her up, but train children wisely and firmly.

48 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by onila(f): 3:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
kids from lagos

children shld never be raised in lagos

all the children from Lagos , I know lack manners and are very rude

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by MacLovington(m): 3:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

Opinions are repressed in Naija due to seniority. This repression can find release in many unpleasant ways such as cultism where at least you find equality of sorts. Not to mention other vices.

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by razznaija(f): 3:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
There really isn't any difference between the two, although Nigerian kids are docile and timid unlike kids abroad that are loud and out spoken. they can still both be naughty in their own way.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2013

14 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by TableLeg(m): 3:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
It depends how the kids are brought up!
The environment plays a part too but it is irrelevant if you lay down solid values, principles, attention, monitoring, care and whatnot!
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by searay(m): 3:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
Booked
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by TableLeg(m): 3:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
onila: kids from lagos

Poppycock and gobblydygooks!
Lagos or Harare or London, it doesnt matter, it is predominantly about how you bring them up and how you manage their exposure!!!
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by cpacash: 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2013

is this because you grew up in a village?

8 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Eyomezee(m): 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]I feel naughtiness is relative!!! U measure degress of naughtiness wit d society or environ we find oursefs. A society where indecency is accepted cant say any body acting indecently is naughty bt oda society will say de re naughty cos de don't accept such...

1 Like

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by alaoeri: 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2013
Op there are naughty kids everywhere, what u need to ask is the percentage, which one is higher home or abroad & i think its abroad. For example don't be silly dad where i come from that's an insult both for yankee nothing dey there.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
Definitely kids abroad. Some of them are bottom line spoilt, it's ridiculous. Nigerian kids for the most part are wired not to talk back at an elder with reckless abandon. The consequences of that action won't even allow you to act up.

Abroad, they think spanking a child translates to child abuse. Foster care people can actually take your child away because of that. So that has given the kids the leverage to act up and get away with it.

7 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by iykak47: 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
MacLovington: .

Opinions are repressed in Naija due to seniority. This repression can find release in many unpleasant ways such as cultism where at least you find equality of sorts. Not to mention other vices.
What about those kids abroad that take guns to school to shoot their teachers and school mates, are they Nigerians? undecided

10 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by babseg(m): 3:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
OP, you should be careful and look after your children. The child's age depends on what i have to say.

If the child is btw the ages of 1-4 they may be exhibiting tantrum. on the other hand they may be suffering from learning disability or autism. Most of us doesnt know this.

A good sign is restlessness. You will need to study them and go on the internet to search for knowledge on these things.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
Then again, it depends on how you train them. My aunty actually spanks the rubbish out of her kids. They know what's up, they know what's coming if they misbehave. Woe betide who go wan call 911 for that house.

8 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by 50calibre(m): 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
Definitely children living abroad where disciplining or scolding a child is considered harsh and child abuse.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by onila(f): 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
cpa-cash:

is this because you grew up in a village?
well look at me

much more behaved than lagos nasty kids

i detest them
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

looks like what my aunty would do to her kids grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by onila(f): 3:21pm On Apr 05, 2013
Table Leg :

Poppycock and gobblydygooks!
Lagos or Harare or London, it doesnt matter, it is predominantly about how you bring them up and how you manage their exposure!!!
majority of them are rude

the atmosphere in lagos makes them like that

nothing to do with hometraining
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2013

Onilachukwu, wetin you smoke today?
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by AjanleKoko: 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

Hardly. Most kids in Nigeria nowadays, mine included, express themselves freely.
Times have changed, most children go to private schools that are based on British/European or American standards, and they are taught using methods not very different from how children abroad are taught.

Plus, kids living in Nigeria are way more exposed these days. Thanks to DSTV that is priced as low as N3,000, kids have access to Disney, Cbeebies, and all these other foreign kiddie TV programs, the average lower-middle class kid in urban Nigeria (Lagos, Abuja, PH and some other urban state capitals) speaks British or American-accented English gleaned from watching TV, probably is unable to speak his or her local language, plays regularly with computers and tablets, goes to the movies, and so on. Not much different than an average lower-middle class kid anywhere in the West.

My son had to go to school in the US for a short period while his mother was there, a couple of years ago. He was generally adjudged to be the most outspoken and talkative kid in his class. I found that amusing, because Americans are talkative by nature.

As per the topic, it's about the parent's standards and how they choose to raise their kids. I know lots of badly-brought-up kids who have never left the shores of Naija, and I know lots of children with excellent manners that have never set foot on the African continent.

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by TableLeg(m): 3:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
ItsModella: Definitely kids abroad. Some of them are bottom line spoilt, it's ridiculous. Nigerian kids for the most part are wired not to talk back at an elder with reckless abandon. The consequences of that action won't even allow you to act up.

Abroad, they think spanking a child translates to child abuse. Foster care people can actually take your child away because of that. So that has given the kids the leverage to act up and get away with it.
Bull crap!
I have seen very well behaved kids abroad and i have seen several bottom line spoilt rotten ones in Lagos .... I insist, it is how you bring your kids up that matters and what you expose them to or allow them expose themselves too without proper management!!

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
onila: majority of them are rude

the atmosphere in lagos makes them like that

nothing to do with hometraining
how does the atmospheric condition of Lagos affect the kids? nothing wey i no go hear for nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nightshift(m): 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2013

Lagos kids are used to an environment where everyone screams as if they've been hit by debris from another planet. From my observations, Lagos kids seems to want you to 'dash' them something before they help in house chores. The problem in the West is that kids want to own every new gadget, or the latest sneakers, thereby keeping you on your toes financially.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Wife Lied To Me About Her Age / Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? / Marriage Rules For The Digital Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.