Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,427 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! (19700 Views)

How Many Clothes Is Too Much Clothes / Are Civilians Who Wear Camouflage Molested By The Army? / Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Rick9(m): 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Dreyl(m): 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2013
Me I usually wear camo anytime even in the barrack••••••

1 Like

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Nnemco22: 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2013
well dia is nothng wrong with it except wen is being abused.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Policewoman(f): 12:36pm On Apr 03, 2013
Okija_juju: I have been wondering if it is illegal for civillians to wear camouflage clothing items in Nigeria.

I have heard rumours of military personnel stripping civillians of their camouflage pants and shorts.

Also, is it illegal to wear 'POLICE' designer shirts as well.. Thanks.
Yes it is illegal to wear POLICE designer shirts or whatever. If we catch u, we go arrest u.

1 Like

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by thelastPope(m): 12:37pm On Apr 03, 2013
It is illegal depending on the scenario. Not every offence is spelt out in the constitution explicitly. For example, you can be charged for impersonation if you wear a camouflage. Celebrities wear it for certain performances or shows, not as regular everyday wear. If they are caught on the streets with it, they can be charged for impersonation. Also, there are different kinds of camouflage. There are camouflage for fashion and there are camouflage for the military. You shouldnt wear military camouflage
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Beaf1: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
We were told a poor lecturer's car tyre bust near JTF checkpoint in Kano. They almost killed him with beating despite the fact that it was never his fault. Dont even pray for a misfortune to befall you like the above close to army personnel let alone provoking them intentionally.

In this era when robbers and Boko Harem use carmouflages to operate hmmm..

If you put on a camouflage in the north today Army will only punish you and strip you n.aked but Boko Harem will mistaken for a real army (their enemy) and kill you. Fact!

2 Likes

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by OlaAjia(m): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2013
Rich4god: Better experiened than told. I think, you can try wearing an army camo then walk through an army check point. Their response/action to you will help you determine if its legal or not. On ur 2nd question, never heard of police designers shirt.

In Nigeria these days, the response or lack thereof, of soldiers or policemen to an action is hardly a yardstick for ascertaining the legality or otherwise of that action, as recent illegal actions of theirs; for example, the murder of a pregant woman in front of a bank, suggests they hardly respect any code of conduct.

If the OP is interested in the legality of dressing in a certain way, the best place to determine this is in the constitution; and as far as I know, there is no law against dressing in camo, but there are extant laws against specifically dressing as an officer of the law or a soldier (the uniforms and ways of wearing them have well defined formats) and you could be arrested and charged with a law pertaining to imposture if caught.

Hope you found that helpful.

1 Like

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Okijajuju1(m): 12:41pm On Apr 03, 2013
Policewoman: Yes it is illegal to wear POLICE designer shirts or whatever. If we catch u, we go arrest u.

Bia!! Idi serious?! shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Policewoman(f): 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2013
OlaAjia:

In Nigeria these days, the response or lack thereof, of soldiers or policemen to an action is hardly a yardstick for ascertaining the legality or otherwise of that action, as recent illegal actions of theirs; for example, the murder of a pregant woman in front of a bank, suggests they hardly respect any code of conduct.

If the OP is interested in the legality of dressing in a certain way, the best place to determine this is in the constitution; and as far as I know, there is no law against dressing in camo, but there are extant laws against specifically dressing as an officer of the law or a soldier (the uniforms and ways of wearing them have well defined formats) and you could be arrested and charged with a law pertaining to imposture if caught.

Hope you found that helpful.
In Nigeria, there are written and unwritten laws.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Policewoman(f): 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
Okija_juju:

Bia!! Idi serious?! shocked shocked shocked

Eh, Adim sirios. Ana m agwa gi eziokwu as bros concern wink
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Revolva(m): 12:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
When army discipline you ..you go know say police na ur friend...oya wear am pass dodan baracks..infact take am sew native sef!!!
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by OlaAjia(m): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
Policewoman: In Nigeria, there are written and unwritten laws.

There is no such thing as unwritten law. Anything implemented in the guise of unwritten law is jungle justice; otherwise, there simply isn't a point for a constitution, and anybody might as well go out and do anything and call it an unwritten law.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by kennydee05(m): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
What of if I wear my Oga @ the top shirt?
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by seunny4lif(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2013
In trinidad $ Tabago na die oooo and all the same for Caribbean island....In west Africa don't try this at home just like WWE,dey talk...
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Reptyle(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2013
@ OP

Wearing "camo" is not illegal...but like many other things in this country, it's better to apply wisdom. If those military guys get you, they will drill (read beat)you within an inch of your life and strip you publicly. As a barrack boy, I have seen this happen so many times.

If you make it out of hospital in one piece after your ordeal, you can probably sue and get some justice from the courts...or leave your assailants to God... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Okijajuju1(m): 12:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
Policewoman: Eh, Adim sirios. Ana m agwa gi eziokwu as bros concern wink

Odikwa egwu o!!

Thats how one guy was made to wear the back of his shirt at State CID a while back. It was one High ranking officer that pointed out to the guy later that why was he wearing the back of his shirt and he explained. The Officer was so angry. He asked why they would make him do that?! He was asking since when did 'Police' designer shirts become a part of Nigerian Police uniform?

But now I keep hearing of people who have been harrassed for wearing it.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Policewoman(f): 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
OlaAjia:

There is no such thing as unwritten law. Anything implemented in the guise of unwritten law is jungle justice; otherwise, there simply isn't a point for a constitution, and anybody might as well go out and do anything and call it an unwritten law.
Ok o. I don talk my own finish.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Policewoman(f): 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2013
Okija_juju:

Odikwa egwu o!!

Thats how one guy was made to wear the back of his shirt at State CID a while back. It was one High ranking officer that pointed out to the guy later that why was he wearing the back of his shirt and he explained. The Officer was so angry. He asked why they would make him do that?! He was asking since when did 'Police' designer shirts become a part of Nigerian Police uniform?

But now I keep hearing of people who have been harrassed for wearing it.
Not like it is a crime. But our people always like harassing people who wear them. Not in all cities sha.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Nuzo1(m): 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Its legal.

In fact, its legal in almost all countries I know. Peasants in these countries use it as their work clothe.
They only wear their camo in war zone while dressed in civil military dress in civil environment, hence why nobody takes civilians wearing such serious.

But in Nigeria, the military wear it in the streets. Hence why its advised to avoid camo for the sake of security purposes. Hoodlums use the outfit to rob, kill and destroy innocent Nigerians and their properties.

Bottomline is that in the military, its prohibited to wear combatant uniform in the name of camouflage in a civil environment.

Nigerian Army banned her personnel from wearing camo sometime ago. It didn't work.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by thelastPope(m): 12:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
OlaAjia:

The UK has an unwritten constitution. Always read before you type.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Lilimax(f): 12:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
Okija_juju: I have been wondering if it is illegal for civillians to wear camouflage clothing items in Nigeria.

I have heard rumours of military personnel stripping civillians of their camouflage pants and shorts.

Also, is it illegal to wear 'POLICE' designer shirts as well.. Thanks.
Na lie! Is it not because there was a recent picture of Terry G wearing an army camouflage posted by NL? This uniform is readily available in the market...
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by claremont(m): 1:04pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nigeria still remains one of the few lawless countries where citizens are regularly assaulted by people who have sworn an oath to protect them. In the UK, every John Doe can legally buy the British Army complete regalia on sites such as Ebay. The law doesn't stop anyone from wearing whatever he/she wants to wear.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that there is a specific part of the Nigerian constitution that says it is unlawful for a Nigerian citizen to wear camouflage-type clothes. Nigerian soldiers who assault citizens that wear this type of clothing are not only undisciplined, but are also a reflection of the lawless nature of the Nigerian society.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 03, 2013
Let's look at it from a more diversified angle, what if d military should allow that with d high level of insecurity in this country don't u think some hoodlums will take advantage of it? Then it will difficult to identify d real military men. It is better this way.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by Godhelpus: 1:17pm On Apr 03, 2013
Okija-juju.......av tried it n notin happened even all d soldiers weybdey bonny camp,abarti barack,marda barrack,ojo barrack dem rear me die,OFFICER NO BARRACKS

Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by OlaAjia(m): 1:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
thelastPope:

The UK has an unwritten constitution. Always read before you type.

The UK's unwritten constitution is not the same as unwritten law. The unwritten as used for the UK's constitution is not so in the sense that there is no written legal document from which laws and eddicts are derived, rather, it is "unwritten" in the sense that the codes are derived from many written sources. The "Unwritten" here is actually a misnomer for a more appropriate 'Uncodified'. Actually, the UK's laws come from well documented treaties, and past judgements from the law courts and most especially, from parliarmentary conventions.

The UK police, as a point of reference, has very well defined powers and boundaries, as given to them by the parliarment, and you'll hardly find them go outside of the defined laws to implement an arbitrary act called "unwritten law".

Despite all of these, the UK system is still subject to much debate and many people, including myself, don't see it as an ideal system of government as it leaves much room for abuse as I earlier stated.

My point that there is no such thing as unwritten law still stands.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by nijaspace(m): 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
Try wearing it in Maiduguri and... No body will tellyou to remove it and continue your journey with pant or niker if you are lucky to be wearing one because the boko haram will look for you and if you enter the HOT hands of the JTF, you will first of all faint before they start dealing with you. Therefore, you should advise yourself not to wear it. You can as well tell yourself that it is illegal to wear it so that you will not be tempted to wear one. Wisdom is profitable to direct...
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by antontech(m): 1:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
why camouflage,if u like dia outfit dat much why not go join them
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by ugosly(m): 1:35pm On Apr 03, 2013
to add to every other thing that has been said,the high rate of armed robbery,bombings,ethnic maimings and attacks have been carried out mostly by people wearing police uniforms and camouflage...so i dont think you wanna b treated as a suspected terrorist.
I remember during my service year wen i was almost disgraced in front of one chic i ws just chyking newly and in full public glare,thank God i had my Corper I.D with me,n a boxers i for wear go house that day.
So dear Okija for ur own good,dont even try it.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by lond07: 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
claremont: Nigeria still remains one of the few lawless countries where citizens are regularly assaulted by people who have sworn an oath to protect them. In the UK, every John Doe can legally buy the British Army complete regalia on sites such as Ebay. The law doesn't stop anyone from wearing whatever he/she wants to wear.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that there is a specific part of the Nigerian constitution that says it is unlawful for a Nigerian citizen to wear camouflage-type clothes. Nigerian soldiers who assault citizens that wear this type of clothing are not only undisciplined, but are also a reflection of the lawless nature of the Nigerian society.

Finally somebody made the point I was looking out for and it was you

Thumbs up to you.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by sandysprax(m): 1:47pm On Apr 03, 2013
claremont: Nigeria still remains one of the few lawless countries where citizens are regularly assaulted by people who have sworn an oath to protect them. In the UK, every John Doe can legally buy the British Army complete regalia on sites such as Ebay. The law doesn't stop anyone from wearing whatever he/she wants to wear.

I'm telling u bro. I weep at the way every riff raff in Uniform treats helpless and peasant civilians in this country. I've sworn that God willing, my kids will not grow up in this jungle called Nigeria cos I would rather die than watch any beast maltreat my daughters in my presence.

I worked with G4S at the just concluded London 2012 Olympics alongside the military and armed policemen. Even as an ordinary guard, I could tell soldiers not to pass a certain area and they would apologize and simply take another route which is an impossibility in Nigeria. They see themselves there as servants of the people rather than mini gods.

The problem still boils down to law enforcement and the lack of it. Cos I think, In the UK, the fear of the law always keeps everyone in check be u military, civilian or even govt official. Only the Queen is sacred when the law is concerned.
Re: CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! by boolet: 1:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Folly is the only excuse for someone to dress an an imam while he's not one. Why would one choose to use military paraphernalia when he/she is not in d military?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Ways To Wear Coloured Jeans To Sync With Your Style Personality / Fashion ~ Beauty & Grooming Tips : Post Them Here. / Daily Crochet Inspirations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.