Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,522 members, 7,801,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan (25450 Views)

Court Freezes Ubah’s Capital Oil Accounts / TSA Freezes Interbank Market, Bank Transactions FROZEN!! / Blogger Seun Oloketuyi Arrested For False Publications About Bank CEOs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by madejibo: 9:23am On Apr 04, 2013
Sometimes in March 2012, I got a call on my phone, the caller said she was Modupe from Loan recovery Unit, GT bank, Allen Avenue Branch. I was initially startled. I asked what the problem was and she said I am owing the bank 221,000 naira as at February 2012. I was so surprised because I have never taken a loan from the bank. Luckily I was around Allen Avenue at the time and I drove straight to the branch and met the said Modupe woman who turned out to be my account officer (a woman who I have met before in that same branch and I can categorically say she is the most unfriendly banker have ever met, a trait in all GTB staff). 

We chatted and she told me I took a loan from the bank in 2007, a loan of 49,000 naira. I initially laughed because it was funny to me. 1st, since 2007 no one from the bank has called me on this invisible "loan". Secondly I have never taken a loan before from GTB or any other financial institution in Nigeria. As a former banker myself I know loans are not taken in proxy. I told her that  to please investigate further that there is a mix up somewhere. She gave me a look like "onigbese" go and pay your money.

I went and I kept on using my savings account, depositing and withdrawing as usual, even my domiciliary account I used it normally.

Let me say something here, from 2007 till 2010 I stopped using GTB, I stopped using it because of their poor services, another reason is because I was working in another bank so all my transactions were routed through the bank I worked for easy monitoring. But when I left my bank I reactivated my accounts with Gtb and I kept on using both my savings and domiciliary any time there is need for it. GTB debited my account twice for one MasterCard, a card I never requested for and I went to complain to this same Modupe in 2010 (my first meeting with her) she just told me to close the account and gave me a don't disturb me look. Note also because of this MasterCard issue I wrote their head office I got calls of apology and no one told me of my proxy loans.

Back to the main story, I kept on calling Modupe how far with her investigation and she kept on telling me "I will get back to you". Then Saturday, May 26th I tried using my ATM card to withdraw and money didnt come out, I thought it was a card problem so I left it till Monday. When I got to the bank I was about to request for a new card in the same Allen Avenue branch and the babe said I can't that I have to see Modupe. I proceeded to see her and she explained that in May 2007 the teller in Ikoyi branch mistakenly posted into my account the sum of 102,000 naira instead of 10,200 naira and I withdrew via ATM the sum of 60,000 before they could find out the mistake. Let me state categorically here I can't even remember paying any money into my account that period. 

I was furious, a colleague of Modupe told me to shut up and go and pay the money that I was a thief. A fat tall guy in Allen Avenue, I was so annoyed and proceeded to the head office and it took the help of security men to calm me down. While in the head office I met Osemota, a lawyer in their legal department and I wrote a complaint letter, this was may, 28th 2012. 

A week later I also proceeded to the internal control unit of the bank in Adeniyi Jones, I met Mr Yakubu and I wrote that I need proofs of those transactions in 2007. Till date all the tell me I should go and pay my proxy debt. 
I have written series of letters to the bank since then, I met with my new account officer Stella, in February 2013 and in her words she said "oga go and pay your gbese nothing I can do, we can't give u proofs". I also met Shola, the new man at Adeniyi Jones, he took over from Yakubu, and he too can't give proofs.

It is also worthy to note that between 2007 and May 2012 I never got debit interest alerts on my phone nor my email, but since May 2012 I have been getting debit interests alerts. A lot of things too have transpired between us but I can't put all into writing now, as we talk GT bank has refused to give me my money they sat on in my savings and domiciliary accounts till I pay off my proxy loan.

What a bank, What a country!
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by tajulasblog(f): 9:48am On Apr 04, 2013
Am so sorry 2hear dt, and gtb is my fav *NG* bank! What ashame! I hope dey gt2c/read dis so sumtn is done abt it! GTBAnk epic fail!
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by rudzob: 10:06am On Apr 04, 2013
I wish Fola Adeola reads this,a financial institution he founded I will like to know what legacy he left behind? and to think he wanted to become a vice-President of this nation.

2 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by fm7070: 10:17am On Apr 04, 2013
You made a mistake of running the account after you've been informed that you're owing them.
It is possible that you're truly owing them, but they should have given you a proof.
You can either report them to CBN or go to court, by then, they will pay through their anus if you're right.

5 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by madejibo: 10:27am On Apr 04, 2013
fm7070: You made a mistake of running the account after you've been informed that you're owing them.
It is possible that you're truly owing them, but they should have given you a proof.
You can either report them to CBN or go to court, by then, they will pay through their anus if you're right.
sir, I was so sure I didn't take any form of loan, have written CBN, house of reps, no response. I operated my account to tunes of millions cos between 2010 and 2012. If I was a runaway debtor will I operate an account there? I have applied for a job in the bank, will I do dat if I am a thief. Just a failed system

1 Like

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by i1: 10:50am On Apr 04, 2013
if you reported the matter to the cbn, follow-up from there. furthermore i think the bank should print your statements as well as provide you wuth the teller of that particular transaction(blue copy or scanned copy), if they fail take them to court for breach of bankers customers relationship(sue yakubu, shola, stella and especially modupe).
there is a standard but gtb falls short here.

5 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by hectoro(f): 10:57am On Apr 04, 2013
Get a serious lawyer and sue them for the embarrassment and inconvenience!! Lousy banks
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by LEvuls(m): 11:03am On Apr 04, 2013
How can this trash happen?
well its still one sided story.....looking forward to hear GTB version before i know who stole from who.

Case adjourned

Next person please.

3 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by coldgate(f): 11:04am On Apr 04, 2013
Oga, get a Lawyer. Even if you had taken a loan, there are procedures to be followed. No one expects you to pay without documets evidencing your debt. Naija Banks are funny sha.

2 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by madejibo: 11:05am On Apr 04, 2013
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by ebamma(m): 11:07am On Apr 04, 2013
and why should we belief u that u are not liable of the said offence abi u be Jesus Christ?

1 Like

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 04, 2013
Na wa ooo, so GTB is not the best bank after all.
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by jagabanban: 11:12am On Apr 04, 2013
Question is, how was the loan taken? Which documents did you sign obtaining the soft loan? Did you just walk into the bank and asked for a loan and it was granted based on verbal discussions? Let them provide the necessary documents. I am surprised their Internal Audit did not investigate to this level.

Something is fishy! I suspect its human error. If GTBank cannot prove you took the loan, they'll have no choice than to write it off. Its very basic!

And if all that does not work, result to bad publicity for the bank on FB, twitter (cc GTBank twitter handle) and the likes. Someone will contact you. I can assure you of that.

3 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 04, 2013
Nawa o,just hearing of this for the first time.
Its a one sided story,but I think its a customer's right to have access to transaction history,there's more to this.there is a mix up somewhere,or maybe someone forge ur signature,and document to defraud the bank.

2 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Adanyebe(m): 11:14am On Apr 04, 2013
Are u sure is GTB or r u talkin of BTG wink
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by bleeper: 11:14am On Apr 04, 2013
@ OP, do a letter to CIBN. The Lagos Office is at Adeola Hopewell, VI. The Institute has an active committee that review such complaints. I am sure you would get a faster resolution. But seriously, no bank in Nigeria is worth the hype. All, na same thing, a direct reflection of a failed larger system.
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by baynix(m): 11:15am On Apr 04, 2013
Wetin Concern Fufu Seller Wit Hungry Man Size??

I 'll Keep Ma Money Whr I Can Smell N See It!!
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by stagger: 11:16am On Apr 04, 2013
OP,

I am highly surprised that you are here talking about this when GTB has presented you with a glorious opportunity to become a multi-millionaire through payment of restitutory damages.

GO AND GET A CORPORATE LAWYER AND TAKE THESE MOFOS TO COURT!

5 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by madejibo: 11:16am On Apr 04, 2013
i.:
if you reported the matter to the cbn, follow-up from there. furthermore i think the bank should print your statements as well as provide you wuth the teller of that particular transaction(blue copy or scanned copy), if they fail take them to court for breach of bankers customers relationship(sue yakubu, shola, stella and especially modupe).
there is a standard but gtb falls short here.

in my statement it is there that 60k was withdrawn via ATM in 2007, but I have requested for the teller I used to pay in the said 10,200 which was wrongly posted to 102,000 also the footage of the withdrawal at the ATM, but they have refused me this, the bank can easily doctor a bank statement no one should work with a bank's bank statement.
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 04, 2013
pls get ursef a very good lawyer dat can fight ds case for u.
madejibo: Sometimes in March 2012, I got a call on my phone, the caller said she was Modupe from Loan recovery Unit, GT bank, Allen Avenue Branch. I was initially startled. I asked what the problem was and she said I am owing the bank 221,000 naira as at February 2012. I was so surprised because I have never taken a loan from the bank. Luckily I was around Allen Avenue at the time and I drove straight to the branch and met the said Modupe woman who turned out to be my account officer (a woman who I have met before in that same branch and I can categorically say she is the most unfriendly banker have ever met, a trait in all GTB staff). 

We chatted and she told me I took a loan from the bank in 2007, a loan of 49,000 naira. I initially laughed because it was funny to me. 1st, since 2007 no one from the bank has called me on this invisible "loan". Secondly I have never taken a loan before from GTB or any other financial institution in Nigeria. As a former banker myself I know loans are not taken in proxy. I told her that  to please investigate further that there is a mix up somewhere. She gave me a look like "onigbese" go and pay your money.

I went and I kept on using my savings account, depositing and withdrawing as usual, even my domiciliary account I used it normally.

Let me say something here, from 2007 till 2010 I stopped using GTB, I stopped using it because of their poor services, another reason is because I was working in another bank so all my transactions were routed through the bank I worked for easy monitoring. But when I left my bank I reactivated my accounts with Gtb and I kept on using both my savings and domiciliary any time there is need for it. GTB debited my account twice for one MasterCard, a card I never requested for and I went to complain to this same Modupe in 2010 (my first meeting with her) she just told me to close the account and gave me a don't disturb me look. Note also because of this MasterCard issue I wrote their head office I got calls of apology and no one told me of my proxy loans.

Back to the main story, I kept on calling Modupe how far with her investigation and she kept on telling me "I will get back to you". Then Saturday, May 26th I tried using my ATM card to withdraw and money didnt come out, I thought it was a card problem so I left it till Monday. When I got to the bank I was[b] about to request for a new card in the same Allen Avenue branch and the babe said I can't that I have to see Modupe. I proceeded to see her and she explained that in May 2007 the teller in Ikoyi branch mistakenly posted into my account the sum of 102,000 naira instead of 10,200 naira and I withdrew via ATM the sum of 60,000 before they could find out the mistake.[/b] Let me state categorically here I can't even remember paying any money into my account that period. 

I was furious, a colleague of Modupe told me to shut up and go and pay the money that I was a thief. A fat tall guy in Allen Avenue, I was so annoyed and proceeded to the head office and it took the help of security men to calm me down. While in the head office I met Osemota, a lawyer in their legal department and I wrote a complaint letter, this was may, 28th 2012. 

A week later I also proceeded to the internal control unit of the bank in Adeniyi Jones, I met Mr Yakubu and I wrote that I need proofs of those transactions in 2007. Till date all the tell me I should go and pay my proxy debt. 
I have written series of letters to the bank since then, I met with my new account officer Stella, in February 2013 and in her words she said "oga go and pay your gbese nothing I can do, we can't give u proofs". I also met Shola, the new man at Adeniyi Jones, he took over from Yakubu, and he too can't give proofs.

It is also worthy to note that between 2007 and May 2012 I never got debit interest alerts on my phone nor my email, but since May 2012 I have been getting debit interests alerts. A lot of things too have transpired between us but I can't put all into writing now, as we talk GT bank has refused to give me my money they sat on in my savings and domiciliary accounts till I pay off my proxy loan.

What a bank, What a country! 
If u were mistakenly paid, dey wuld have got in touch wit you since 2007!
GT Bank fall my hands abeg and i know also dat dey aint customer friendly undecided undecided
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 04, 2013
fm7070: You made a mistake of running the account after you've been informed that you're owing them.
nawa for u o. So u can drink water from the cup without knowing? Bankers are too fraudulent.
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 04, 2013
ebamma: and why should we belief u that u are not liable of the said offence abi u be Jesus Christ?
URE PROBABLY A STAFF OF THE GTBANK.
MAYBE URE EVEN THE MODUPE OR THE YAKUBU SEF.

11 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by uboma(m): 11:22am On Apr 04, 2013
stagger: OP,

I am highly surprised that you are here talking about this when GTB has presented you with a glorious opportunity to become a multi-millionaire through payment of restitutory damages.

GO AND GET A CORPORATE LAWYER AND TAKE THESE MOFOS TO COURT!

Good advise
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by dridowu: 11:22am On Apr 04, 2013
What are u guz stil doing wit gtb and co, 1st bank , d only bank in 9ja

4 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 04, 2013
See wahala
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by thirdi(m): 11:29am On Apr 04, 2013
Am sure the staff of that branch used your account to reconcile some missing funds.

1 Like

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by dude(m): 11:30am On Apr 04, 2013
op,

i can give you a phone number of a Deputy Director in banking supervision department of CBN if you are interested, send your email address. Am really surprised this is happening in GTB.
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 04, 2013
I can't stop shaking my head. The Modupe lady displays the attitude of an average Nigerian banker...SMH again, so so sad. oga go and pay your gbese, can you imagine?

First of all get a good lawyer and fight them.

Secondly, if you can find a way to publicise this on social media via twitter and Linda Ikeji, you can be sure some people will lose their jobs and you will get compensation. ARRANT NONSENSE.

By the way GTB is fond of deducting unncessary charges from bank accounts, unseen master cards, texts messages and the almighty COT etc, all these I never receive because I am not in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by ManTiger(m): 11:36am On Apr 04, 2013
GTB dey Bleep up big time, i think they now have alot of young boys that used to be into Yahoo.
A friend dad operates an a/c which used to be in tune of Millions, both savings and current,
When the man died, we approached the bank and after we met all the requirement, we were told that the man only maintain one account and has never open a current account. they told us that the amount in the saving is about 800k. luckily we found the Old man's cheque book and some stuffs in his diary and we're still on the issue since April last yr.

3 Likes

Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by madejibo: 11:38am On Apr 04, 2013
dude: op,

i can give you a phone number of a Deputy Director in banking supervision department of CBN if you are interested, send your email address. Am really surprised this is happening in GTB.
madejibo@yahoo.com
Re: GTB Freezes My Account For False Loan by begwong: 11:38am On Apr 04, 2013
ASK THE BANK TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE STATEMENT OF YOUR ACCOUNTS FROM INCEPTION TO DATE.
FROM THERE,CONTACT YOUR LAWYER.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Types Of People Around You When You Start Making Money / Governor Emefiele And His Parallel Foreign Exchange Universe / Recoloured Naira Notes Still In Circulation - CBN Insists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.