Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business (7405 Views)

100 Fresh New Business Ideas For 2015 + How To Get Funding / Venture Capital Funding For Dotcom Startups In Nigeria? / Where Can I Get Funding For My Sme "ice Block Making Business" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 11:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
How about a nairaland version of Dragon's Den? For those who don't know/watch it - Dragon's Den is a reality TV show which features entrepreneurs pitching their ideas to potential investors for an equity investment. On this thread, entrepreneurs could pitch their ideas to Dragon's who could potentially finance their business. Personally, I am happy to fund good business ideas BUT with a maximum cap which I will not disclose. Also happy to co-invest if my maximum investment is reached. My interest lies in this because I am not a business people and would rather see my money go to work as opposed to leaving it in the bank. Please note the due diligence will be carried out and legal documents will be need to be signed before any investments are made.

Personally, I am NOT interested in ideas like forex and animal farming, would like to hear more original ideas. Just give a vague overview so the idea is not copied and discussions can be taken offline after signing a non disclosure agreement which protects the entrepreneur.

So the thread is open to entrepeneurs and potential investors grin - lets hear from you.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
Lol! @ animal farming. But I believe it's also a profitable kind of business.
Anyways I'm looking forward to responses on here and hope to see brilliAnt ideas being discussed. How vague can participants be?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 12:01am On Apr 05, 2013
@Brand_new, I know its profitable but would just like some more innovative ideas cheesy. The participants should be able to give a teaser that will pique investors interests so vague but not too vague.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 05, 2013
Okay then, so who goes first?
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by elvis10ten(m): 8:23am On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Barcholder: 8:27am On Apr 05, 2013
Brand_new: Okay then, so who goes first?

check out the "Easiest way to get rich....." thread for your first entry. I doubt you can beat that.

There are literally too many opportunities in Nigeria. I'd rather keep some of them to myself at this time, as I have some of my workers progressing the launch soon.

Here's one for you to chew - A comprehensive car breakdown service, like RAC or AA. Here's another. The digitisation of the company registration process in Nigeria, similar to what the passport office has managed to do. Its taken nearly 3 weeks to get my company name registered. Here in the UK, it takes 3 hours. To my horror, it costs c. £600 in nigeria, and in the UK its £30. A very lucrative contract that would be, in the region of $100m.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 10:26am On Apr 05, 2013
Barcholder:

check out the "Easiest way to get rich....." thread for your first entry. I doubt you can beat that.

There are literally too many opportunities in Nigeria. I'd rather keep some of them to myself at this time, as I have some of my workers progressing the launch soon.

Here's one for you to chew - A comprehensive car breakdown service, like RAC or AA. Here's another. The digitisation of the company registration process in Nigeria, similar to what the passport office has managed to do. Its taken nearly 3 weeks to get my company name registered. Here in the UK, it takes 3 hours. To my horror, it costs c. £600 in nigeria, and in the UK its £30. A very lucrative contract that would be, in the region of $100m.

@Barcholder, I think you missed the point of my thread. I am not looking for business ideas - I have several million dollar ideas myself but I don't fancy myself a business person as such. I am interested in investing in young entrepreneurs with a passion for their business. I read your 'Easiest way to get rich", your enthusiasm for the solar power business is commendable but I also know that several solar businesses have started up in Nigeria and haven't done so well but I sincerely hope you succeed with your venture. Perhaps, I will drop my comments on your thread but payment plan for Nigerias is a NO NO.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 10:44am On Apr 05, 2013
elvis10ten: https://www.nairaland.com/1230881/investors-needed-nigeria-internet-start-up

@Elvis, I am most impressed with your age and desire to succeed. I am not very technical but managed to get the gist of your application. Correct me if I am wrong please but my understanding is that you have developed a software that will allow people send text messages from their phones for about N2? My questions:

1. Can this be implemented in other countries?
2. The users you have now - how did you get them?

I am seriously interested in investing in your idea - this was the kind of stuff I had in mind when I started the thread and you are completely right from your thread, you can get investment at such an early stage. It is a huge risk for the investor funding it but it is high risk high reward if it goes well. The bigger investors come in later to invest millions because the business has fully developed and the business model proven. Hopefully it will get to that stage smiley.

You requested for 250,000 and some of the money will be to hire an android developer. If I go ahead and invest, my proposal is to give you130,000, we will find an android developer together and negotiate with him and I will pay the developer directly - this option is because I am thinking of using offshore based developers based in India or Phillipines. However, if you know someone you would prefer to use then I am also open to that. The rest 100,000 you listed for other expenses will be disbursed to you as at when needed. Also, can you clarify what kind of advertising you hope to achieve for 20,000.

Finally, what percentage of equity are you will willing to give for this investment?
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 05, 2013
@Somebody, will PM you as regards a project similar to this one. We could discuss it here if you like but will like to give you a synopsis privately.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 10:58am On Apr 05, 2013
Brand_new: @Somebody, will PM you as regards a project similar to this one. We could discuss it here if you like but will like to give you a synopsis privately.

Thanks - PM is fine.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by elvis10ten(m): 2:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
somebody:

@Elvis, I am most impressed with your age and desire to succeed. I am not very technical but managed to get the gist of your application. Correct me if I am wrong please but my understanding is that you have developed a software that will allow people send text messages from their phones for about N2? My questions:

1. Can this be implemented in other countries?
2. The users you have now - how did you get them?

I am seriously interested in investing in your idea - this was the kind of stuff I had in mind when I started the thread and you are completely right from your thread, you can get investment at such an early stage. It is a huge risk for the investor funding it but it is high risk high reward if it goes well. The bigger investors come in later to invest millions because the business has fully developed and the business model proven. Hopefully it will get to that stage smiley.

You requested for 250,000 and some of the money will be to hire an android developer. If I go ahead and invest, my proposal is to give you130,000, we will find an android developer together and negotiate with him and I will pay the developer directly - this option is because I am thinking of using offshore based developers based in India or Phillipines. However, if you know someone you would prefer to use then I am also open to that. The rest 100,000 you listed for other expenses will be disbursed to you as at when needed. Also, can you clarify what kind of advertising you hope to achieve for 20,000.

Finally, what percentage of equity are you will willing to give for this investment?

@somebody here are the answer to your questions:
1)YES IT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IN OTHER COUNTRIES ABOUT 205+ COUNTRIES ARE SUPPORTED. THE MAIN REASON WE RESTRICTED THE NATIONALITY OF OUR USERS IS BECAUSE OF INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT. NOW WE HAVE MORE THAN 5 PAYMENT GATEWAYS BUT WE HAVEN'T IMPLEMENTED THEM IN XMX ME YET.
2)I CAN REMEMBER VIVIDLY THAT I GOT ABOUT 800-900 USERS BY MYSELF THROUGH TELLING MY FRIENDS OF FACEBOOK AND 2GO, UPLOADING IT IN FILE SHARING SITE AND TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT IT IN FORUMS LIKE NAIRALAND. THEN SOME OF MY FRIENDS HELPED ME GET SOME USERS. I WAS SUPRISED WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT WE HAD ABOUT 23 SIGN UP PER DAY AND I AM SURE THIS WASN'T ME OR MY FRIENDS REFERING PEOPLE, ITS THE USERS OF XMX ME THAT WERE INVITING THEIR FRIENDS.

Ok, i go with your first proposal. I really don't have anybody in mind, so it will be ok. BUT it will be better we look for an IOS(Iphone) developer, because with my java and j2me knowledge it will be very easy for me to learn android programming and build an application in it so we can reduce the cost. So i will upgrade the j2me app and build an android app then the IOS developer builds an iphone app. We are also building a web app, it is 75% done. The list of items i wrote in that thread was not all that is needed, they were also some misc. Items like funding the payment gateway to verify them or during registration. But i think 130,000 can get the basic needed items. The 20,000 i want to use for advert, i can't tell u anything about this here, it will be through email. XMX ME IS EXTREMELY UNIQUE. My email is: Elvis.chidera@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
somebody:

Thanks - PM is fine.
Madam, I think your attention is needed on this thread.
www.nairaland.com/1123104/kindly-frustrated-soul/5#15095528
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by APFM(m): 6:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
I have sent a request to PM you...My proposal is on Manufacturing
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Seun(m): 6:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
I'm watching this thread.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
Looks like it's gonna be an interesting thread.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by free2ryhme: 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2013
i pity your ideas.. cos u nvr can tell what will happen after it leaves your system onto a public domain ..
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by vizboy(m): 8:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
will be following these thread
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by esere826: 7:11am On Apr 06, 2013
free2ryhme: i pity your ideas.. cos u nvr can tell what will happen after it leaves your system onto a public domain ..

There are a thousand and one ideas in Nigeria
There are extremely very few idea investors in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 06, 2013
I can conveniently say no investor would be interested in just an idea. You'd need to have a working business with income potentials to pique an investors interest. Then he can inject. More funds for expansion. No one is interested in just an idea.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Nedum1979: 9:35am On Apr 06, 2013
I currently marketing ROOF TILES in ABUJA with OBUMEK INTERNATIONAL CO LTD and SKY ROOFING TILES NIGERIA LTD they are all importers of ROOF TILES from KOREA . The business of the ROOF TILES is booming here in ABUJA, when you import from good countries like: SWITZERLAND, NEWZENLAND, KOREA AND BELGIUM. And the profit margin is okay. You can call me for more insight in the business my number‘s are 08038930922 or 08095936512
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by esere826: 9:22am On Apr 07, 2013
Some entrepreneur could action providing low-oil fast foods in Lagos metropolis
It will work if well planned

Women (25 -50) dey try loose weight, our fast food people dey worsen matter

Abeg if d thing work, make entrepreneur and investor give me my cut oooo
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by freetowns: 10:32am On Apr 07, 2013
I was just online this morning looking at some sites to see if there is anything available in regars to this.I saw so many Angel Investors site but i dont really think I was interested in it. But one website seem to stand out for me, though I think they are relatively young business just starting up. www.businessdens.com . I think this company might be really good in future, as the say they are a not for profit company. I just registered with them to see if it really works
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by esere826: 2:06pm On Apr 07, 2013
There is another business idea that surprisingly, I dont see playing out in Nigerian companies
its a multimillion pounds business model strategy. I am nursing the idea of doing it in the mid term future,
but for now....
Investors and business owners take note
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by emandman: 5:48pm On Apr 07, 2013
I lyk d XMX ME thing.hw do i register
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by somebody(f): 11:22pm On Apr 07, 2013
Thanks for the responses guys. However, will like to see more interest from potential investors - it doesn't have to be a huge commitment, I certainly don't have millions to give out. Please, also don't send me a PM if you haven't indicated on this thread that you are sending one as I won't respond. Finally, it'll be great to have a summary of the ideas on here and more private details can be sent via PM. At least, others will get to see the ideas and who knows become the investors. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by sholatech(m): 3:17am On Apr 08, 2013
I am following this thread, and can join poster in both the analytic and willing to co-invest

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by neksummi(m): 7:44am On Apr 08, 2013
NIce thread. I'll be following.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by esere826: 9:16am On Apr 08, 2013
SME Growth Strategy

Strategic investment in an established Medium size enterprise that competes in the service sector
SME hires BDM's on a renewable one year contract and profit sharing
BDM's are fresh retirees from target market companies
eg, Former Minister targeting his ministry; former CTO of Shell targeting Shell

Wages are set after analysis of potential business etc
A lot of thinking and planning needs to be done around brand positioning and the 'critical mass' needed to create a trusted perception of their own career exit strategy by those that will be handing out the contracts

SME can also expand into African market by following same strategy of using their ex prsidents and formers Ambassadors as BDM's
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by rozayx5(m): 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
somebody: How about a nairaland version of Dragon's Den? For those who don't know/watch it - Dragon's Den is a reality TV show which features entrepreneurs pitching their ideas to potential investors for an equity investment. On this thread, entrepreneurs could pitch their ideas to Dragon's who could potentially finance their business. Personally, I am happy to fund good business ideas BUT with a maximum cap which I will not disclose. Also happy to co-invest if my maximum investment is reached. My interest lies in this because I am not a business people and would rather see my money go to work as opposed to leaving it in the bank. Please note the due diligence will be carried out and legal documents will be need to be signed before any investments are made.

Personally, I am NOT interested in ideas like forex and animal farming, would like to hear more original ideas. Just give a vague overview so the idea is not copied and discussions can be taken offline after signing a non disclosure agreement which protects the entrepreneur.

So the thread is open to entrepeneurs and potential investors grin - lets hear from you.

@op , nice thread

@bolded, successfull traders dont need dragons dens to succeed grin grin
cause they see dolls daily

i hope peoples ideas are not also stolen here
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by Mcleo007(m): 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
Nice step in a right direction @op. I've always thought in that direction of bringing investors with real finances to throw around to ingesting in potential SmEs that have the potential to grow big. You make money investing than when you just stash it in the bank.

I'm a business owner and entrepreneurial enthusiast. My main stay is in the world of fashion. Why fashion? It falls within the 3 folds of human livelihood that can never be surpressed no matter what (food, clothing and shelter). Clothing is an essential part of human living. I co-established a fashion company that is 3yrs old now and I must say the challenges have been overwhelming and despite being focused on what we wanted from the outset, the finances with which to pursue the dream didn't come forth as expected. They came in phases and each phase creeping into the next. Adding to that is the NIGERIA factor of production which comes at a high cost. Our vision is to build a brand name like the ones you find abroad (Givenchy, D&G, Chanel and more) by making good clothing for majority of Nigerians who want to look good in nice wears. One would ask; the Remi Lagos, Mai Atafo, Frank Oshodi and Mudi who grace the fashion runway every other evening, how many people wear their products? Just a few people in the upper class. People in the middle class and lower want to wear good clothes and associate with a local name, but find themselves unable to afford the clothes made by these talented designers because of the huge prices and unavailability of their products. This is where we want to come in.

In the face of rediscovering and rebranding the business since the constraints to grow effectively is taking its toll on us(We are into clothing creation for people of diverse age, class and orientation: corporate shirts, casuals and African wears), we have made contact with clothing companies outside the country; one in Dubai and 2 others in China that can replicate our designs with good finishing at a cost that is way lower and profitable to when produced here in Nigeria. Why should one continue to produce here when the cost of production is dream killer, and even the cost of producing a single finished Shirt in China or Dubai is cheaper than the amount you spend to buy just the fabric for same product here in Nigeria? It is that wide! As such, we can storm the Nigerian market with our clothing designs and supply to boutiques at good prices and make our profit. For this dream and pursuit to be, we need little financial support. Whoever is ready to help in this light can indicate so I can send a PM in that regard. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Dragon's Den - Get funding for your business by elvis10ten(m): 9:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
e mandman: I lyk d XMX ME thing.hw do i register
VISIT www. to register.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Business Can I Do In 9ja From U.k. Pls / Buying Cars By Bidding On Copart.com, Auctionexport.com, And Other Auction Sites / How To Register A Business Name In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.