Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. (1708 Views)

Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria / An SS3 Student Build A Prototype Of Bulldozer And A Dump Truck. / A Local Prototype Of Track Type Excavator Made and Remotely(wired)Controlled. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 8:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
Dear Science Pals, I really need ideas on how to build a local radio transmitter that could cover, for a start, a small town with an estimated inhabited land area of 15 square kilometers. I'll appreciate it if the radio materials/components can be locally sourced or economically affordable for a low income earner. Thank you all.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 12:05am On Apr 06, 2013
I kw hw to make a transmitter.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 2:00am On Apr 06, 2013
Do you mind sharing?
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 7:35am On Apr 06, 2013
You' put your number let's talk.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 8:23am On Apr 06, 2013
For the records, I can build a bug. So a transmitter that will require an external antenna that will reach outside is not a big deal. It can easily cover 1 kilometers.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 8:57am On Apr 06, 2013
Am talking about a 15 square kilometer range using an omnidirectional antenna with a power of, lets say, 100W.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 9:06am On Apr 06, 2013
We that make transmitters do rate transmitters like 1 to 2 kilometers. And 1 kilometer if u kw the range, is quite far. You are talkiing about 15 kilometers.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 9:21am On Apr 06, 2013
These things do interfere with with radio signals. It can jam tv signals or fm. That is why some countries prohibit it.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 9:39am On Apr 06, 2013
The transmitter project is meant to be a localized functional radio station. Can a one or two kilometer range antenna cover an inhabited land area of about 15 square kilometers under favourable atmospheric conditions?
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 9:39am On Apr 06, 2013
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 9:56am On Apr 06, 2013
I know that 1 kilometer is 1000 meters. The normal 3- 6 watts transmitter i make can cover a large area. But for something like the one u're talking about, you'll need a licence to operate.
Yes, some people do make transmitters that go far range, but not in the fm band. You are talking about fm band here
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 10:16am On Apr 06, 2013
Not only me makes it, some people do make it. But we do reduce the power at times, because if u keep on increasing the power, it will keep on going far. It is easier for u to say it, but we that make it kw that it not a toy. And nobody will make such transmitter for u.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 10:22am On Apr 06, 2013
And believe me, you cannot make it. So don't waste your time.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 10:59am On Apr 06, 2013
Yea, I do know about the licence and all. The project has got a local government backing so it's not an illegal project. If you couldn't build such transmitter as you asserted, hope it's advisable to buy a powerful wireless microphone transmitter, a PCI fm adapter and a PC for the project?
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 11:21am On Apr 06, 2013
Even wireless microphone don't go that far. They can't even reach 1 kilometer.
A town is rated at 1to 2 kilometers. If you measure the town from the middle outwards it may be up to 1 kilometer or even less, or maybe even 2kilometers, I don't know what u mean by 15 square kilometers.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 12:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
I understand that the 15 square kilometer you said is up to 1 kilometer i said. I did'nt kw what 15 sq km was.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 1:26pm On Apr 06, 2013
ok. Measuring the town from the center outwards is up to 6-8km at all four cardinals. Link the ends of the four 6km lines together with an imaginary line to make a square. That's about how I need to radio coverage to be.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 1:51pm On Apr 06, 2013
My man, if measuring it from the center outwards is up to 6kms, then it means that measuring it from end to end will be up to 12 kms, which you have made a mistake because 12km has nothing to do with 15 square metres, it is more larger than 15 sq mtrs. Measure it this way, u know that 30 inch makes 1 meter, now, measure out 10 mtrs, you kw how long it is. Now, 1000 of 1 metre is equal to 1 kilometer. If u use your mind to kw how 1000 mtrs is, u will find out that 1 kilometer is quite long.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2013
Read my posts again. I never quantified in square meters. My quantification was in square KILOMETERS.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 3:13pm On Apr 06, 2013
By the way bro, I've experimented with a wireless transmitter with a frequency of about 625.40Mhz, accompanying wireless microphone and small transistor radio, surprisingly, the transistor radio was able to pick up clear signals on a frequency of 101.7 from a considerable distance. I believe if I bring in an omni-directional antenna into this basic apparatus, the range reach will improve to atleast 4 kilometers on all four cardinals. Thanks for your help anyways.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 5:20pm On Apr 06, 2013
If your transmitter is transmitting at 625 mhz and u're picking it at 101.7 mhz, then you're picking the harmonics which is not the main signal. The harmonics is less powerful than the main signal. And it will not reach 1 km. I corrected myself by saying that the so called 15sq km is appro to 1 point something km. The thing is this, original knowledge is not free. I will not give u for free
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 6:27pm On Apr 06, 2013
I don't claim to know that's why I came on nairaland to seek for knowledge and ideas but it seems you're hell bent on exploiting and ripping me off. Thanks anyway.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by DDon11: 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2013
If u want to learn how to make a radio transmitter, just google radio transmitter. It is on the net, that is where i learnt mine.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by fr3do(m): 8:08pm On Apr 07, 2013
D Don1: Even wireless microphone don't go that far. They can't even reach 1 kilometer.
A town is rated at 1to 2 kilometers. If you measure the town from the middle outwards it may be up to 1 kilometer or even less, or maybe even 2kilometers, I don't know what u mean by 15 square kilometers.

Divide by 'pi'
And find the square root
That shud give u̶̲̥̅̊
the range
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by fr3do(m): 8:13pm On Apr 07, 2013
D Don1: If your transmitter is transmitting at 625 mhz and u're picking it at 101.7 mhz, then you're picking the harmonics which is not the main signal. The harmonics is less powerful than the main signal. And it will not reach 1 km. I corrected myself by saying that the so called 15sq km is appro to 1 point something km. The thing is this, original knowledge is not free. I will not give u for free

To hell with ur 'original knowledge'
How much do u
know?
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by donigspain(m): 9:37pm On Apr 07, 2013
@fr3do, bro please don't mind that guy. He has not even made any valuable scientific contribution that would warrant his 'original knowledge' claims.
Re: HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. by benjaminkishola(m): 1:55am On Jan 03, 2018

(1) (Reply)

I Need Skysat Sk-201 Software / Woman Thought To Be Dead Was Actually Taking A Nap In A Canal Due To Heat (photo / Most Expensive Military Platforms Of The East And The West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.