Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,439 members, 7,801,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) (34548 Views)

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria / Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night / Nigeria To Replace South Africa In G20 As Economy Grows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 50calibre(m): 7:29pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nigeria is a very weird place, economy is growing yet it isn't evident in the lives of the average Nigerians. Incomes aren't rising, prices aren't falling, people aren't getting richer, how the hell is the economy growing when people aren't spending as they should.

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by charcoalblaq(m): 7:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
I have said it on my thread that we as Nigerians are sitting on a gold mine. However the potential for start ups to be part of this movement enough to attract the attention of this foreign and local investors is very low regardless of how brilliant the business idea is.

To give start ups the required visibility to attract the needed attention would require monies that most family and friends cannot provide, and banks and other financial institutions would not give.

Regulated Crowd Funding would give businesses the required push to become visible enough to attract the attention of big investors who can then invest towards expansion.

All this billions would continually be out of reach to the average Nigerian entrepreneur unless we make ourselves more visible.

The founder of Iroko TV got 150,000USD before his concept got the attention of the likes of Tiger Capital who then invested 8 million USD.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Klinee: 7:39pm On Jun 02, 2013
That is cool
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2013
50calibre: Nigeria is a very weird place, economy is growing yet it isn't evident in the lives of the average Nigerians. Incomes aren't rising, prices aren't falling, people aren't getting richer, how the hell is the economy growing when people aren't spending as they should.
The more you look, the less you see grin
Maybe na gradual process sha.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by LondonX: 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2013
50calibre: Nigeria is a very weird place, economy is growing yet it isn't evident in the lives of the average Nigerians. Incomes aren't rising, prices aren't falling, people aren't getting richer, how the hell is the economy growing when people aren't spending as they should.

Bro., help me ask the pseudo-economists on this forum.

Everything is a bubble!

The more you look in Naija, the less you see.

GDP is growing at an alarming rate, yet the poor are getting poorer by day.

Foreign investment is growing, yet the unemployment rate is also growing.

Manufacturing is growing, yet the country is importing more. grin

The country's name ought to be changed from Nigeria to Oxymoron!! tongue

Laughable! - you definitely can't make this shiit up. grin undecided

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by jajad: 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2013

People are getting richer. Business is good!
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by buchito1(m): 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
Wud all dis tinz dey stated make nepa bring lite?? Mtchewww!
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by gramci: 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
jajad:

People are getting richer. Business is good!

Please kindly ignore them next time
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
Rossikk:

U welcome bro.

Rossikk, thank you brother. This is what our lovely country is all about. It is our collective aspiration as a nation. where we want to be and where we are heading to.

No amount of challenge , bad press or beer parlour gossip can slow our growth, not to talk about stalling it.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by takeprofit: 7:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nigeria is developing fastest under goodluck jonathan. yet stop him simply because of political interest.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 4Play(m): 7:49pm On Jun 02, 2013

People make this comment glibly, I used to say the same, that people are not spending and incomes are not rising but this is demonstrably false. If your baseline is 1999, the end of military rule, consumer spending in Nigeria has exploded and wages have risen significantly.

I know anecdotes are not the best benchmark, but when I contrast the wages of our security guard/driver with 2004, converted to British Sterling, wages seem to have risen significantly even for blue collar workers in the last decade.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
I'm happy my people are starting to realise the goldmine we are sitting on and cursing while looking for visas to dead places like pakistan and dying places like Europe. Our time is now. Forget about leaders who just pile up money they cant ever finish spending - as long as the minimum conditions are met, investment will come! Development IS happening albeit in the peculiar top down manner of Nigeria. Regardless of visionless leaders, corruption and insecurity, Nigeria IS overcoming its challenges and will keep growing. In the name of all our ancestors gone, I swear we will get somewhere in this generation. And it's already happening.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by lacasa: 7:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
in the words of ff...

"You talk of economy growing when families still can't afford three square meals daily"

#... in hausa language, we call this "dogon turanci".
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by invectives(m): 7:52pm On Jun 02, 2013
sheyie2007: industrialization on a full scale.. lets go there
This confirms what those chinese where constructing in calabar the other day i was there.Serious industrialization.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 50calibre(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
London-X:

Bro., help me ask the pseudo-economists on this forum.

Everything is a bubble!

The more you look in Naija, the less you see.

GDP is growing at an alarming rate, yet the poor are getting poorer by day.

Foreign investment is growing, yet the unemployment rate is also growing.

Manufacturing is growing, yet the country is importing more. grin

The country's name ought to be changed from Nigeria to Oxymoron!! tongue

Laughable! - you definitely can't make this shiit up. grin undecided

It's baffling, maybe it's some kind of new and previously unknown economic situation.

an oxymoron indeed.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by aceTS: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2013
hahahahahaha.......tales by 40 laptops. reminds me of the abacha junta

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 5columnist: 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
onye guy: Okay we don hear Joor cool cool
Onye Guy you happen to be a moderator or another brainless none entity. The potentials that info like this hold for young Nigerians is far more than the kobo kobo millions that come from blogging gossips and peddling lies. Why are we not long term driven in this country?
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
Oh look, a troll. Can I keep him?
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by LondonX: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
50calibre:

It's baffling, maybe it's some kind of new and previously unknown economic situation.

an oxymoron indeed.

It's called: The Nigerian Economic Model.

An anomaly that defies logic!!! grin Bunch of jokers and their gullible sheeple.

Off to watch England take on Brazil!! wink

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by na2day(m): 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
Smokes and mirrors,

Even, a broken clock is right twice a day!

The running of Nigeria is on autopilot, don't be surprised, the speeding car is running smoothly on the express road, the big question is what happens when it gets to a corner?

Nigeria has been to countless of corners in this present administration, and the car kept on crashing into them and you guys want us to take the chief pilot seriously?
Mtsheew angry

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
@Rossikk,

Although we sometimes do not see eye to eye on these boards, I commend your fact-based research. Well done.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by laksides: 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
With all this, yet nigerians are still suffering lipsrsealed
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 5columnist: 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
lakside s: With all this, yet nigerians are still suffering lipsrsealed

We are 160 million and counting.. we need to kick start the economy first of all before we feel the impact.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by point5: 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2013
@Op..abeg dey don dey collect CV?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nigeria is a goldmine. What is lacking is credit facilities and stable electricity. When these 2 are ironed out, then the boom will spiral. I have had no single doubts that we are living in the epicenter of growth and prosperity often marred by mediocres in power. We need to keep this tempo by demanding that GEJ be returned for another term.
[size=18pt]
FRESH AIR!
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Drdreluv: 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2013
no jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by BlackBaron: 8:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
Our country is the only country amongst the 37th-41st biggest gdps/economies(rankings based on different international financial organisations) in the world that still manages to be ranked low in the human development index (hdi)

#Food for thought.

There's a drain somewhere...
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by xxyz17(m): 8:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
Some people will shamelessly regard this thread as a propaganda even when every thing the op posted have a verifiable link. Sometimes I get to wonder, does it mean that some Nigerians don't want our country to move forward or what?

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by otokx(m): 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2013
and there is still no light in ALUU and UNIPORT

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Concerned Military Officers Caution Osinbajo On Cabal's Games - Sahara Reporters / 2019: How Sanwo-olu’s Formal Declaration Finally Sealed Ambode’s Fate / Gunmen In Military Uniform Kill A Policewoman In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.