Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,068 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Unhealthy Nigerian Foods - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unhealthy Nigerian Foods (6274 Views)

Tyler Perry Has This To Say To Fat And Unhealthy People. / Nigerian Foods That Help Lower Blood Pressure / 5 Top Weight Loss Nigerian Foods! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Needlelady(f): 2:39am On Apr 07, 2008
List the unhealthy things we normally eat in Nigeria. Suggestions for substitutes are welcome please.
I can only remember: egusi, palm oil, kolanut, goat/sheep/cow meat, blue band margarine, pure water,soda, gulder, star etc
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by ifyalways(f): 2:04pm On Apr 07, 2008
Needlelady:

I can only remember: egusi, palm oil, kolanut, goat/sheep/cow meat, blue band margarine, pure water,soda, gulder, star etc
Are they really unhealthy shocked
whats your def of unhealthy?

@topic,Suya/ fried/roasted meat hawked by mallams. embarassed
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 07, 2008
how do u define unhealthy food?

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Needlelady(f): 4:06pm On Apr 07, 2008
high calorie,high cholestrol(ldl) etc.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Cristalz(f): 9:25pm On Apr 07, 2008
Suya, Kilishi, Boli, Roasted corn, Pastries(yes,all of 'em), Eggs, Groundnut oil, Chicken, Sugar, Butter, Coffee, Soft drinks, Alcoholic drinks, Artificial fruit juices, ice-cream, red meat, salt, infact,the list goes on and on. Practically endless. Thing is,if you start examining healthy and unhealthy foods,the fact is that you'll probably end up not eating at all. As in,just go near Nutritional Biochemistry and you'll be scared to eat,i swear.So just eat with moderation or get advice from your doctor.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by TOYOSI20(f): 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2008
@ Topic,

Zobo, and kunu tongue
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 07, 2008
agidi, all mama-put prepared meals
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Cadet(f): 1:45am On Apr 08, 2008
Poultry. I don't care which, they're unhealthy. ok, maybe healthy, because of minerals and nutrients in them, but Nigerians consume too much meat. For every meal, must there be meat? Can't Rice and soup be consumed without fish or meat?

Reasons why my step dad and I don't use to get along, every time i cook, I don't usually cook meat, then he gets angry and refuse to eat it. Like I care! Some Nigerian people needs to understand that eating meat with every meal is not healthy!
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by redsun(m): 2:28am On Apr 08, 2008
I don't know there is anything wrong with egusi,melon.High consumption of meat is dangerous,but minimal is safe, especially when it is cooked seprately and added to a meal not always cooking and eating with all the fatty stock,meat stock should be used minimally.

Fish is better with its omega 3 contents,it helps the brain to develop,eat more fish and vegetables,maybe you will change.Less fat,less sickness.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by TheSly: 2:32am On Apr 08, 2008
92% of Nigerian foods are unhealthy!
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by redsun(m): 2:47am On Apr 08, 2008
Abstain from sugary and processed food,like white rice,it is mere cosmetics,locally made unrefined brown rice is hundred percent better,all you need to do is take your time to make it stone and shafts free.

Red meat apart from fatty is cancerous. Too much salt is dangerous.it eats into your heart.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 08, 2008
Cadet:

Poultry. I don't care which, they're unhealthy. ok, maybe healthy, because of minerals and nutrients in them, but Nigerians consume too much meat. For every meal, must there be meat? Can't Rice and soup be consumed without fish or meat?

Reasons why my step dad and I don't use to get along, every time i cook, I don't usually cook meat, then he gets angry and refuse to eat it. Like I care! Some Nigerian people needs to understand that eating meat with every meal is not healthy!

actually, u r wrong here. fish is very healthy. it has plenty of omega3 which is good for the heart. white meat such as chicken/turkey without the skin is good.

although i hate fish with a passion.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Cadet(f): 9:11pm On Apr 08, 2008
too much of anything good is a bad thing
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by chrisoml(m): 8:10am On Apr 09, 2008
4me all foods r unhealthy according to all that is been posted here to the extent that someone said that "92% of Nigerian foods are unhealthy!" so what do we do then?
starve to death? grin
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Rebellious(f): 8:42am On Apr 09, 2008
®~^Sly^~®:

92% of Nigerian foods are unhealthy!

Don't you just love it when random unproven "facts" like these are thrown at you?
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by redsun(m): 12:17pm On Apr 09, 2008
Compare to america and europe on average,nigerian food is far much healthier for the fact that they are mostly organic,unprocessed and unpreserved.

Western foods are poisonous,full of fat,insecticides and preservatives.The organic foods in the west is out of reach for an average person,very expensive.

Just like every other thing,food requires common sense,the more fatty and polished(process) food you eat,the more fat and unpolished you are going to become and the more chances of health and personality complications.

Organic lean meat,whole grain foods,fish,mostly oily ones,fruits and vegetable, i think should be suitable for anyone,notwithstanding the race or location.

Yam is good too,because it is full of fiber,natural minerals and vitamins.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Needlelady(f): 2:46am On Apr 10, 2008
4me all foods r unhealthy according to all that is been posted here to the extent that someone said that "92% of Nigerian foods are unhealthy!" so what do we do then?
starve to death?
Lol, this is so hilarious. I think Nigerian foods are healthy because they are not genetically modified. It's only the fast food joints that are springing up everywhere that is the problem.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by TheSly: 2:56am On Apr 10, 2008
Rebellious:

Don't you just love it when random unproven "facts" like these are thrown at you?

I seriously don't think i comprehend what u conveyed!
Anyways. . .forget about the ''Unproven facts''
Contribute to the topic! . . . . . . . . . . .savvy?
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by TheSly: 2:59am On Apr 10, 2008
starve to death? grin
No u can eat sushi for all i care tongue
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Rebellious(f): 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2008
®~^Sly^~®:

I seriously don't think i comprehend what u conveyed!
Anyways. . .forget about the ''Unproven facts''
Contribute to the topic! . . . . . . . . . . .savvy?

If I don't know anything about the topic I don't throw out anything that comes to my mind instead I try to research on that topic or better still I don't say anything. Not trying to cause a fight but you really could learn from that.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Needlelady(f): 5:21pm On Apr 11, 2008
fried dodo, ewedu,fried fish, fried meat.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Mustay(m): 12:33pm On Apr 12, 2008
haba! needlady, we should only moderate the way we eat those u mentioned in your last post or u wan make man come dey chop plantain and rice raw? @ topic AGEGE BREAD
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by cashoggy(f): 1:39pm On Apr 14, 2008
I think we'll help ourselves by stating the reason why we perceive a partricular kind of food
unhealthy instead of just tagging it so without any reason. For instance, I refuse to agree with the poster who said plantain, a very rich source of pottasium, is unhealthy. If we consider the roadside dust that settles on it when it's being roasted, then it cannot be healthy. But if it's made at home you'll be doing yourself a lot of good nutrition-wise.

Another person said ewedu is unhealthy. , na wah o.I cannot begin to enumerate the loads of good the soup does to your system. Please, whoever knows any unhealthy trait in ewedu should come and post it here.

Like some other posters have said, too much of everything is bad. We should try and moderate what we eat, and also make it a point of duty to buy organically grown vegetables from the market, though they look less attractive, they are much healthier. Processed foods are not healthy. [b]FAST FOODS ARE FAST KILLE[/b]RS. Juice out your fruits at home rather than the canned ones with preservatives. Hey, health is wealth oh.
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by MP007(m): 3:40pm On Apr 14, 2008
none,
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by Fancier(f): 4:40pm On Apr 25, 2008
too much of anything good is a bad thing

I still believe this coz we have to watch every thing we take into our system.
e.g Fruitt duic(5 alive/5 dead, ), name them all, they can serve as a source of of apetizer or whatever but do U know the contect of sugar U have in there? the Vegetables you buy in the market do you know how long it as been in the market, even if it stll look fresh. As I know the nutirents in vegetables depriciate everyday as far as it has been plucked 4m its tree. So we should just b careful about what we eat, Try and balance your diet and stop taking junck fooods, nd dont forget to visit ur medical doc 4 checkup, Lastly it is very Necessary 4 U 2 Pray,
Re: Unhealthy Nigerian Foods by oritsematosan1: 9:00am On Feb 05, 2015
We should go on vegetables, fruits not fruit juice ...on a daily basis. they really help boost immune system and balance insufficient diet, body needs. Please note fruit should be taken before meal not after as majority do.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For November 28 2020 In Nigeria / She Cannot Use Sanitary Pads! / Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.