Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch (6981 Views)

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages / NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by teeceexx: 7:39am On Apr 12, 2013
Again, NCC Fixes New Date For Mobile Numberportability Launch

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has again fixed another date for the launch of Mobile Number Portability (MNP). This time, the commission chose April 22 as the new launch date across all networks of Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM).

The Director of Corporate Affairs at NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, who dropped the hint Thursday, told THISDAY in a telephone interview that NCC eventually settled for the April 22 MNP launch date, having been convinced by the network operators that their networks were ready for the roll out of Mobile Number Portability in Nigeria.

“We are going to celebrate it in a colourful launch that will hold in Lagos on April 22,” Ojobo said.

NCC had earlier warned that it was not going to shift grounds on the planned roll out of MNP, and insisted that the roll out must be in April this year, without mentioning any particular date in April. The reason for not fixing a particular launch date earlier, according to Ojobo, was to allow the operators to choose a convenient date, based on the state of readiness of their networks. He had however insisted that the roll out of MNP would not exceed April this year.

NCC had fixed April 1, for the launch of MNP, but shifted it to an unknown date in the same month of April, after telecoms operators came begging for three weeks extension to enable them complete test-run of their networks, in preparation for the eventual roll out.

NCC had in 2006, announced for the first time that it was going to implement MNP, but it was not implemented, as telecoms operators resisted it on the ground that the network infrastructure as at then, was not robust enough to accommodate the challenges associated with mobile number porting.

In 2009, NCC re-introduced Mobile Number Portability and again the operators turned it down, giving the same reasons. In 2012, NCC gave December 2012 as deadline for operators to commence the exercise, but they reluctantly agreed yet they could not meet the deadline.

In January, NCC fixed March 25, as the new date for the commencement of MNP, but again, telecoms operators were unable to meet up with the March date, a situation which compelled NCC to further shift date to April 1.

Having discovered that the April 1 date was not going to be feasible, NCC Thursday, announced April 22 as the new date for the launch of MNP.

In technical parlance, Mobile Number Portability is a process that allows subscribers to migrate from one network to another, in search of better quality of service, while still retaining the original phone number, irrespective of the network the subscriber chooses to migrate to.

NCC in its released guidelines for MNP, made porting free of charge for subscribers, but insisted that subscribers could port their numbers, once in every 90 days.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/again-ncc-fixes-new-date-for-mobile-number-portability-launch/144719/

2 Likes

Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by possibilita(m): 8:56am On Apr 12, 2013
undecided na una sabi cos i no need to port i already have the whole network sim in my pocket thanks to china phone with 3 sim two of it can take all the sim cardsgrin una fit put the day for 22 april 2222 no be my problem.

7 Likes

Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by honey001(m): 9:21am On Apr 12, 2013
Bunch of inconsistent people
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by coolsamba(m): 9:23am On Apr 12, 2013
Ok
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by aminho(m): 9:25am On Apr 12, 2013
Na u sabi
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by chukiz(m): 9:27am On Apr 12, 2013
who care
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by Elsafema: 9:27am On Apr 12, 2013
This will certainly be the end of some netwk provider
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by FXKing2012(m): 9:28am On Apr 12, 2013
Waooo...that is the same day Wunmi Allen aka shopclue is going to pay Aigbe aka aeromon his 900,000 naira
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by femi1743: 9:31am On Apr 12, 2013
Huuray..4th 2 comment on ma frst try....bt its a nyc idea if it cn b implemented lst lst sha...
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by gen2briz(m): 9:31am On Apr 12, 2013
NCC....... Money Don change word
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by Fishout(m): 9:32am On Apr 12, 2013
they no ready.they will still swift d date.ALL NA YEYE network.
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by petrus4good(m): 9:33am On Apr 12, 2013
Not going to be feasible
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by gen2briz(m): 9:34am On Apr 12, 2013
femi1743: Huuray..4th 2 comment on ma frst try....bt its a nyc idea if it cn b implemented lst lst sha...

You need another network...the one you dey use to slow
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by petrus4good(m): 9:34am On Apr 12, 2013
Not feasible
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 12, 2013
i have d sims for d major networks in nija.. una fit shift d date to next 3 years...i dnt give a damn....

THANKS TO MY TECNO N3

1 Like

Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by luluosas(m): 9:49am On Apr 12, 2013
deejay_harry1: i have d sims for d major networks in nija.. una fit shift d date to next 3 years...i dnt give a damn....

THANKS TO MY TECNO N3
Na dem sabi. Me I no dey kukuma port sef.
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by luluosas(m): 9:53am On Apr 12, 2013
possibilita: undecided na una sabi cos i no need to port i already have the whole network sim in my pocket thanks to china phone with 3 sim two of it can take all the sim cardsgrin una fit put the day for 22 april 2222 no be my problem.
Same thing here jare.
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by duwell(m): 10:01am On Apr 12, 2013
MNP to me is needless
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by Emmyesq(m): 10:02am On Apr 12, 2013
NCC nor be wetin una suppose do be that, instead make una tell them make them reduce. Their tarrif, una dey do portability.......
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by ayanfe09(f): 10:16am On Apr 12, 2013
Emmy(esq):
NCC nor be wetin una suppose do be that, instead make una tell them make them reduce. Their tarrif, una dey do portability.......
abi nah. Na them sabi.
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by otunlexy(m): 10:24am On Apr 12, 2013
Ncc,phcn,nuc,efcc,npf and other government regulatory body ar all bunch of crap..instead of scrapping all dis org.dey ar busy delibrating on scrapping jamb and neco..to hell wit all of ya angry
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by 2NDACCT(f): 10:40am On Apr 12, 2013
ok
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by dridowu: 10:45am On Apr 12, 2013
I cnt wait to lif emptyhen 2 eti baba

1 Like

Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by MMM2(m): 10:56am On Apr 12, 2013
Ncc

We don hear 2 then
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by amanyi4u(m): 12:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
what happen to the #6.40 per minute call to all networt which is to commence 1st of this month by the YEYE NCC?
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by temisilva(m): 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
abeg ask dem o
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by ibrash600: 1:29pm On Apr 12, 2013
na wu go port b4... If dem lyk make dem postpone am 2 2015, na thir wahala b dat.... tongue
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by JideTheBlogger(m): 1:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hmnn...hope they wont change the date again. can't wait

Read the steps to take in changing from one network to another via mobile number portability in Nigeria here.
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by Yingcusidar(m): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
It's a good thing sha...
Throwing to MTN. Lolz
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by oluemmakay(m): 7:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
If my original network is MTN and change to Etisalat. Which network will i recharge on?
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by luluosas(m): 7:21pm On Apr 12, 2013
oluemmakay: If my original network is MTN and change to Etisalat. Which network will i recharge on?
Etisalat of course
Re: NCC Fixes April-22 For Mobile-Number Portability Launch by OLEBRUKU(m): 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
will dat change d price of garri?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should You Buy Xiaomi Phones...? / How To Retrieve Lost MTN Sim / This Is How Blackberry Is Going To Dislodge Samsung Once And For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.