Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,951 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Nigeria History Makers In Pictures - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria History Makers In Pictures (85378 Views)

Soldiers Nab Bomb Makers In Gombe (see What They Recovered) / I’m First To Create 5,400 Jobs In Nigeria’s History – Jonathan / Great Leaders In Nigeria's History Before Total Colonisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 14, 2013
T9ksy:

Thanks Kats, for the clarification and the reference. Much appreciated.
Sorry, the man you were thanking was talking mere trash. What he was alluding to was far more than the source that he quoted mentioned.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by igbanbajo(m): 11:53am On Apr 14, 2013
abbk000: Lord Lugaurd... He essentially created today's Nigeria.
Noted.

Click link for picture
https://www.nairaland.com/1255360/nigeria-history-makers-pictures/5#15221801
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 14, 2013
Katsumoto:

The question you should be trying to understand is why there were no Muslim Yoruba officers in the 50s and 60s?

The hypothesis was/is that the Yoruba christian officers could be indoctrinated through British missionaries but if the Yoruba Muslims didn't follow anyone in Nigeria (the Sultan) or the British, then indoctrination would have been difficult. If you look at the events in the 60s, it is not so far fetched. If the Yorubas had provided equal numbers in the Army, it wouldn't have been so easy for either the Northerners or Easterners to take power. We know that both Easterners and Northerners took power through force while the Yoruba didn't have the numbers to intervene.
It was as a result of christianization policy then. Even if you wanted to go to an higher institution, u'd have to convert in other to be admitted. The same trends was in most of the public sectors. My own father got a schorlarship which he could not use unless he converted

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Pennywise(m): 12:42pm On Apr 14, 2013
Still a very beautiful thread even though I have seen most of the pics before.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Katsumoto: 3:11pm On Apr 14, 2013
honor2011: It was as a result of christianization policy then. Even if you wanted to go to an higher institution, u'd have to convert in other to be admitted. The same trends was in most of the public sectors. My own father got a schorlarship which he could not use unless he converted

So all the Northerners converted to Christianity before being admitted to the military and civil service?
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 14, 2013
Quaritch: Col. Benjamin Adekunle sending out a radio signal in Ikot Okpora during the civil war of 1967-70

THE BLACK SCORPION
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by farem: 5:40pm On Apr 14, 2013
Quaritch: Fashions by Shade Thomas .... "Shade's Boutique" 1960s

Shade Thomas is reputed to have kick-started the Nigerian fashion industry, using traditional African fabrics and inventing many styles. Her design store, Shade’s Boutique, was the go to place for men and women of Lagos style. Examples of her creations include the boubou which she adapted from the men’s Agbada, the hassle-free pre-fitted gele. Her twist on the iro and buba led to the zipped wrapper skirt. Her line of fashion forward ankara jump suits, aso oke dresses, beaded shoes and embroidered culottes proved she was leaps ahead of her time when she stepped onto the scene in the early 60s.

I GUESS THE YORUBAS HAVE THIS THING IN THEM. THEY HAVE BROUGHT BEING SOCIAL TO NIGERIA.

[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by farem: 6:05pm On Apr 14, 2013
Quaritch: The then minister of labour Honourable chief Festus Okotie-Eboh and his wife make a grand entrance at a government reception (for Queen Elizabeth II). His outfit starting with the the feather tipped boater and ending in a 20-foot train that winds up around the neck of a small boy is a mixture of Nigerian modern and traditional.

Source: Life Magazine archives

[color=#990000][/color]
I HEARD THIS IS THE GRAND LOOTER IN NIGERIA. FOUNDATION OF THEM ALL. I GUESS ALL THE EXPORTED CASH COULD BE TRACED AND WOULD BE ENJOYED BY THE SMART WHITES, ENJOY THE SWEAT OF "FOOLISH' BLACK.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by T9ksy(m): 6:59pm On Apr 14, 2013
Pangea:

Ojukwu body language is that of a man who is going to have his war at all cost, not ready to back down, with I'm here because I just want to satisfy all you international community?
Two years later I'm sure he'd be regretting not putting an end to everything after the meeting!
Too bad, about a million died to proove nothing! angry

Gbam!!!

Ojukwu's pose shows that he knew there was going to be war whilst gowon's was clearly that of relief thinking he has just

manage to avert a civil war in the country. Infact, everyone there looked relieved except ojukwu, who despite been

surrounded by all these smiling and jokey faces, couldn't bring himself to crack a smile.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by emmatok(m): 8:00pm On Apr 14, 2013
Quaritch: Letter to West Africa magazine on the origin of the name Biafra. Nov.1968

Let me keep this for reference.

So BIAFRA is IBONIZED lol.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Goldcon: 8:11am On Apr 15, 2013
Mennnnnn, I think I have to start keeping my old pictures because in the near future history will remember me too as a great achiever and history maker; being remembered for my worthy contributions to my generation.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by nagoma(m): 10:07am On Apr 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

So all the Northerners converted to Christianity before being admitted to the military and civil service?

No of course you know what he means. Those yorubas who wanted to join the army were coerced into conversion to Christianity. This fits into your assertion that Muslim yorubas had no allegiance to the sultan in sokoto and were more or less independent. The British had an agreement with the sultan of no mass evangelization of Muslims. As the Yoruba Muslims were so to say on their own , this gave the brits a fertile conversion zone. I will not be surprised if the majority "Christian" Yoruba officers mentioned were of Muslim background and were Muslims before they took interest in the colonial military employment.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Mcdondayan: 12:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
Quaritch: Young Olusegun Obasanjo being congratulated after completing his tour of duty in the Congo in 1961. Before Congo, Obasanjo had completed the 6 months Short Service Commission at the Mons Officer Cadet School in Aldershot, England. When Obasanjo joined the Nigerian Army in 1958 at age 21, he initially trained at the Regular Officers Special Training School, Teshie Ghana, before he was selected for the short course in England. - Source : Obasanjo...In the Eye of History - (Ecclesia Interactive)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by dulphines: 4:56pm On Apr 15, 2013
tomakint:

I just love this guy for REAL! A determined soldier, a reformer, a defender of truth and above all, a true PATRIOT! Adieu,Patrick Chukwuma Nzeogwu cool

Never knew him or heard anyone addres him as Patrick. Must be your uncle!
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by tomakint: 5:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
dulphines:

Never knew him or heard anyone addres him as Patrick. Must be your uncle!
This site is your friend to clear the confusion, how I wish he was my UNCLE! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukwuma_Kaduna_Nzeogwu

Below is my personal timeline of this Fine Soldier

Chronology of Kaduna Nzeogwu (The Enfant Terrible of Nigeria’s Political History)

February 26, 1937: Birth of Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu to Mr and Mrs. James Okafor Elizabeth Nzeogwu from Okpanam in Delta State.

1950: Gained admissions into St. John’s Secondary School, Kaduna. His admission number was 164.
March 1957: He entered as a soldier-in-training as an officer cadet in the Nigerian Regiment of West African Frontier Force.

December 1959: Passed out of Sandhurst Royal Military Academy.

May 1960: Returned to Nigeria, a well trained young army officer and was posted to First Battalion in Enugu.

November 1960: Became one of the Nigerian Military contingent sent to quell the post independence crises in Congo.

May 1961: Arrival from Congo. He was involved in a motor accident with minor injuries.

April – July 1962: Attended two military courses at the British School of Military Intelligence and became the First Nigerian to be trained in Military Intelligence. He later attended the staff college in India.

October 1964 - 1965: Met with the principal actors in the coup at Taragarh

January 15, 1966: 2 am, he led a military coup d’état alongside Emmanuel Ifeajuna that toppled the first civilian government in Nigeria.

January 19, 1966: Left Kaduna for Lagos after the abortive coup.

January 1967: Released from prison by Lt. Col. Ojukwu.

July 6, 1967: Out break of the Nigerian – Biafran War.

July 29, 1967: Nzeogwu was trapped in an ambush near Nsukka while conducting a night reconnaissance operation against federal troops of the 21stbattalion under Captain Mohammed Inua Wushishi.

July 31, 1967: His body was found by the Federal Troops and was flown to the Kaduna Military Cemetery,
where he was given a full military burial in full appreciation of his well known nationalistic feeling.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Willzkid(m): 6:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
Quaritch: DAILY TIMES, SEPTEMBER 9, 1971
The death of "Dr." Ishola Oyenusi... — with ''the boy is good'' right?

please can someone also post pics of Lawrence Anini?
I want to know what that guy looked like

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by funnyx(m): 6:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
Quaritch: Fashions by Shade Thomas .... "Shade's Boutique" 1960s

Shade Thomas is reputed to have kick-started the Nigerian fashion industry, using traditional African fabrics and inventing many styles. Her design store, Shade’s Boutique, was the go to place for men and women of Lagos style. Examples of her creations include the boubou which she adapted from the men’s Agbada, the hassle-free pre-fitted gele. Her twist on the iro and buba led to the zipped wrapper skirt. Her line of fashion forward ankara jump suits, aso oke dresses, beaded shoes and embroidered culottes proved she was leaps ahead of her time when she stepped onto the scene in the early 60s.

This is Alhaja Shade that Obey sang about undecided
Alhaja lo n sobokun fun Alajala

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by dulphines: 8:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
tomakint:
This site is your friend to clear the confusion, how I wish he was my UNCLE! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukwuma_Kaduna_Nzeogwu

Chronology of Kaduna Nzeogwu (The Enfant Terrible of Nigeria’s Political History)

February 26, 1937: Birth of Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu to Mr and Mrs. James Okafor Elizabeth Nzeogwu from Okpanam in Delta State.

1950: Gained admissions into St. John’s Secondary School, Kaduna. His admission number was 164.
March 1957: He entered as a soldier-in-training as an officer cadet in the Nigerian Regiment of West African Frontier Force.

May 1960: Returned to Nigeria, a well trained young army officer and was posted to First Battalion in Enugu.

November 1960: Became one of the Nigerian Military contingent sent to quell the post independence crises in Congo.

May 1961: Arrival from Congo. He was involved in a motor accident with minor injuries.

April – July 1962: Attended two military courses at the British School of Military Intelligence and became the First Nigerian to be trained in Military Intelligence. He later attended the staff college in India.

January 15, 1966: 2 am, he led a military coup d’état alongside Emmanuel Ifeajuna that toppled the first civilian government in Nigeria.

July 29, 1967: Nzeogwu was trapped in an ambush near Nsukka while conducting a night reconnaissance operation against federal troops of the 21stbattalion under Captain Mohammed Inua Wushishi.

July 31, 1967: His body was found by the Federal Troops and was flown to the Kaduna Military Cemetery,
where he was given a full military burial in full appreciation of his well known nationalistic feeling.

cry
tomakint:

You'r a great historian. Thanks for the info. I'm better informed about this great soldier.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by tomakint: 10:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
dulphines: cry

You'r a great historian. Thanks for the info. I'm better informed about this great soldier.
You're welcome Sir, that's what 'Nairaland' is all about wink
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by tomakint: 12:27am On Apr 16, 2013
Katsumoto:

He gave the order, he wasn't physically present.
Foot soldiers win battles but it is the Generals that take the glory, so Danjuma is responsible for the death of that Icon (Fela's Mom)! By the way, are you a Mallam Katz? shocked
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by nagoma(m): 7:42am On Apr 16, 2013
dulphines: cry

The genocidal tribe -centric soldier who killed leaders from other tribes and spared his own. The evil man who destroyed democracy at it's birth. He is the reason why Nigeria is where it is , insecurity, hatred and suspicion and some slowpoke is calling him - "a great soldier" . What kind of nonsense is this ?
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by tomakint: 8:41am On Apr 16, 2013
nagoma:

The genocidal tribe -centric soldier who killed leaders from other tribes and spared his own. The evil man who destroyed democracy at it's birth. He is the reason why Nigeria is where it is , insecurity, hatred and suspicion and some slowpoke is calling him - "a great soldier" . What kind of nonsense is this ?
.....and in your mind now 'Your Murtala Mohammed' who was erroneously celebrated as a hero is a 'great soldier' a murderer, demented psychotic, drunkard, blood-thirsty vampire of the deepest dye undecided
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Katsumoto: 10:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
tomakint:
Foot soldiers win battles but it is the Generals that take the glory, so Danjuma is responsible for the death of that Icon (Fela's Mom)! By the way, are you a Mallam Katz? shocked

He is partly responsible. Fela ultimately held Obasanjo responsible since Obasanjo was the HOS.

Courage and bravery may win battles but strategy wins wars; Generals take the blame for failure in war as well as the glory for winning.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by vanbonattel: 10:47pm On Apr 16, 2013
T9ksy:

Gbam!!!

Ojukwu's pose shows that he knew there was going to be war whilst gowon's was clearly that of relief thinking he has just

manage to avert a civil war in the country. Infact, everyone there looked relieved except ojukwu, who despite been

surrounded by all these smiling and jokey faces, couldn't bring himself to crack a smile.

If you lost 30,000 defenceless children, mothers and teenagers to a brutal murdering spree while Gowon and others looked on for 4 months, you will be cracking a laugh with him?
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 2:40am On Apr 17, 2013
Kolington Ayinla's brand of music.

Not many know he served in the Nigerian army for 10 years. On discharge, he became a musician.

Daily Times. 4th May 1979

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 2:55am On Apr 17, 2013
Amos Tutuola, (born 1920, Abeokuta, Nigeria—died June 8, 1997, Ibadan, Nigeria), Nigerian author of richly inventive fantasies. He is best known for the novel The Palm-Wine Drinkard and His Dead Palm-Wine Tapster in the Deads’ Town (1952), which was the first Nigerian book to achieve international fame.

Tutuola had only six years of formal schooling and wrote completely outside the mainstream of Nigerian literature. From 1939 he worked as a blacksmith and at other jobs until his first novel was published. He was influenced by D.O. Fagunwa, a Nigerian author who wrote similar folk fantasies earlier in Yoruba. Tutuola was also familiar with The Thousand and One Nights, Pilgrim’s Progress, and other episodic stories that had been used as textbooks at the Salvation Army primary school that he attended. Tutuola wrote his works in English.

In The Palm-Wine Drunkard and his subsequent novels, Tutuola incorporated Yoruba myths and legends into loosely constructed prose epics that improvise on traditional themes found in Yoruba folktales. The Palm-Wine Drinkard is a classic quest tale in which the hero, a lazy boy who likes to spend his days drinking palm wine, gains wisdom, confronts death, and overcomes many perils in the course of his journey. The book has been translated into 11 languages.

Tutuola followed up his first book with My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (1954), which reiterates the quest motif through the experiences of a boy who, in trying to escape from slave traders, finds himself in the Bush of Ghosts. Another quest is found in Simbi and the Satyr of the Dark Jungle (1955), a more compact tale focusing upon a beautiful and rich young girl who leaves her home and experiences poverty and starvation. In this and the books that followed—The Brave African Huntress (1958), The Feather Woman of the Jungle (1962), Ajaiyi and His Inherited Poverty (1967), and The Witch-Herbalist of the Remote Town (1981)—Tutuola’s rich vision imposes unity upon a series of relatively random events. His later works include Yoruba Folktales (1986), Pauper, Brawler, and Slanderer (1987), and The Village Witch Doctor and Other Stories (1990).

Tutuola’s vivid presentation of the world of Yoruba mythology and religion and his grasp of literary form made him a success among a wide British, African, and American audience. The theatrical and operatic versions of The Palm-Wine Drinkard made by others have also proven popular.

Culled from Encyclopedia Britannica

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 2:56am On Apr 17, 2013
The mother of Fani Kayode Mrs Aurora Kayode nee Fanikmokun. Aurora Fanimokun was the first daughter of the respected Rev. Suberu Fanimokun of the Lagos colony (as it then was) and he was the Principal of the famous CMS Grammer School, Lagos. Her husband Victor Adedapo Kayode died at the relatively young age of 42 in 1941 whilst he was presiding over an important land case. A few of years after his death Madame Aurora Kayode remarried. Her second husband was Ernest ikoli, a well-known and very prominent ijaw man. Source: RemiKayode

The parents of lawyer and politician Fani kayode, Mr Victor Adedapo Kayode (the tall gentleman on the left) and Miss Aurora Fanimokun (centre) on their wedding, London 1920. Source: RemiKayode.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 2:57am On Apr 17, 2013
1957 picture of Eze Nri dancing. With him is a Dwarf

The tradition of Nri dwarfs, known throughout Igbo land is based on kindliness. Children from the surrounding country who were dwarfs were taken to the palace of the King in Aguku Nri, where they were made welcome. Later, they were trained as doctors and priests . After training , they traveled far and wide, usually on the shoulders of their followers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 2:59am On Apr 17, 2013
University herald editorial board, from left to right, Chinua Achebe, Chukwuemeka Ike, Mabel Segun, D. Oforiokuma and Agu Ogan, University college Ibadan 1952.

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 3:00am On Apr 17, 2013
Sir Kofo Abayomi (1896- 1979)Opthamologist & Politician
He was born Kofoworola John in Lagos of Oyo heritage. He attended Methodist Boys' High School Lagos and studied Pharmacy at the Yaba Higher College. He went on to study Medicine at the University of Edinburgh and specialised as an Opthamologist. He later became the first private practitioner to be elected president of the Nigerian Medical Association. In 1930 he changed his surname to Abayomi and married Oyinkan Ajasa(later Lady Abayomi). Abayomi was a founding member of the Nigerian Youth Movement (NYM) in 1933 and later its President. He was also a prominent member of the Action Group. He became the first Nigerian Chairman of the Board of the University College Hospital, Ibadan. Abayomi was knighted in 1954

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

AA Mohammed: Zip And Buttons Of Deputy Commissioner Of Police, Lagos / Police Carried Yoruba Nation Protester Like A Baby / Photo Of Senator Godswill Akpabio On His Hospital Bed In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.