Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? (5938 Views)

My Wife Does Not Like Sex. What Else Should I Do?. / My Wife DOES NOT WORK !!! Conversation Between A Husband And A Psychologist / Husband Has HIV But Wife Does Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by ayobase(m): 9:19pm On Apr 14, 2013
Got this from BC.

The following are Questions and Answers between Husband (H) and A Psychologist:

P : What do you do for a living Mr. Bandy?
H : I work as an Accountant in a Bank.

P : Your Wife ?
H : She doesn't work. She's a Housewife only.

P : Who makes breakfast for your family in the morning?
H : My Wife, because she doesn't work.

P : At what time does your wife wake up for making breakfast?
H : She wakes up at around 5 am because she cleans the house first before making breakfast.

P : How do your kids go to school?
H : My wife takes them to school, because she doesn't work.

P : After taking your kids to school, what does she do?
H : She goes to the market, then goes back home for cooking and laundry. You know, she doesn't work.

P : In the evening, after you go back home from office, what do you do?
H : Take rest, because i'm tired due to all day works.

P : What does your wife do then?
H : She prepares meals, serving our kids, preparing meals for me and cleaning the dishes, cleaning the house then taking kids to bed.

From the story above, who do you think works more

The daily routines of your wives commence from early morning to late at night. That is called 'DOESN'T WORK'??!!

Yes, Being Housewives do not need Certificate of Study, even High Position, but their ROLE/PART is very important!

Appreciate your wives. Because their sacrifices are uncountable. This should be a reminder and reflection for all of us to understand and appreciate each others roles.
All about a WOMAN ....

When she is quiet, millions of things are running in her mind.

When she stares at you, she is wondering why she loves you so much in spite of being taken for granted.

When she says I will stand by you, she will stand by you like a rock.
Never hurt her or take her wrong or for granted if you have got one.

12 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 14, 2013
OP is an Aspirant for the Position of House Wife's Husband. Hope you win.

1 Like

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 14, 2013
don't working women also do the things in that list

is this another thread trying to get working mothers fight with stay at home mothers?

2 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by MMotimo: 12:13am On Apr 15, 2013
Don't know how many times this issue comes up in this section but I will say what I have always said. Culturally, Nigerian women, especially Southerners have been raised to believe that you have to bring in an income in order for your spouse and his family to respect you. Never mind that you have abused women with full time jobs.

A lot of people think staying at home makes it more likely your husband will abuse you. Please, spend time on courtship, know whom you are marrying. If hes going to be an abuser, chances are, you will see signs if you spend enough time in courtship. A very small minority of men can change overnight into monsters but that is not the norm. By the way, be careful that you, the wife, do not change into something the guy did not bargain for. If you were the saving type before he married you but afterwards, suddenly develop a taste for keeping up with the Joneses, that would not be fair to him.

Staying home (usually the woman in African settings) is a lifestyle choice and is determined by affordability and trust. I bolden this because for most people, it's not affordable but that does not mean you disparage others who can afford the choice. Above all, it should always be a joint decision and like most things in life, subject to change if it is not sustainble. No point doing it if one partner resents the other partner staying home or if it is not an affordable choice for your family

If the working partner's income is not sufficient to finance household expenses, you probably should not opt for it. When I say expense, that includes aso ebi, your Brazillian weaves, owambe parties, vacations, clothing, etc and any financial assistance to relatives/friends on both sides. I may be able to run my household on N50000.00 a month but maybe yours runs on $8000.00 per month. The same question still applies - can the working partner sustain the expenses? If so, for how long and at what cost?

At this point, I must say that if you don't have direct access to the income earner's accounts/earnings, if your assets and liabilities are not in joint names, then you should probably not stay home. Already, there's a comma in the situation if only one party makes and controls the financial decisions. In order for it to be successful, there has to be trust on both sides and each side should be comfortable with the other's spending habits.

Life insurance policies are available in Nigeria, same as in the West. It is called insurance in case the unexpected happens, fear of death should not mean you can't stay home and raise your kids if that is your family's desire. Sadly, the vast majority of Nigerian women that work, still have no net worth to show for it. It is still the constant hand to mouth, keeping up with the Joneses, dodging randy bosses at work who derive joy from chopping another man's wife.

Why are you staying home? For the vast majority, it's to raise their kids. For a few, it's simply a preference. If your spouse is fine with it and you can both make it work, do not let the mischievous sow discord in your home by calling you names.

If part of your self worth is tied to your career or how much money you make, it's probably not a good idea. For some people, working is not about money but about self worth/esteem
If you are going to miss the workplace environment, you should probably just keep working. If you are going to feel embarrassed and useless because you are not working, then keep working.

A much as possible, let your value system be based on experiences, not on acquisitions. I tell you, life becomes so much simpler once it's no longer just about acquisitions. Focus on building NW while at the same time, building your children (those that make the choice for kids).

Finally, yes, I stayed home for a couple of years, in Naija and in the West. I work now, because our kids are much older/independent and household expenses have grown. My extended family do not pry in my business so I didn't have to explain to anybody but I know it took a lot for my Mum not to say anything. She started working at 18 and only retired when she had a solid gold pension and left with a sizable package. If she were dead, she might have turned in her grave, she drummed career mum into me at an early age.

I stayed home but I have always had access to everything my husband has/earns and vice versa. I am that wife that knows where everything is and whose husband will "sign here" without a second glance because of mutual trust. It doesn't matter which gender plays the lead financial role, trust is non-negotiable when it comes to money, epecially for a Naija couple.

8 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by damiso(f): 7:01am On Apr 15, 2013
MMotimo: Don't know how many times this issue comes up in this section but I will say what I have always said. Culturally, Nigerian women, especially Southerners have been raised to believe that you have to bring in an income in order for your spouse and his family to respect you. Never mind that you have abused women with full time jobs.

A lot of people think staying at home makes it more likely your husband will abuse you. Please, spend time on courtship, know whom you are marrying. If hes going to be an abuser, chances are, you will see signs if you spend enough time in courtship. A very small minority of men can change overnight into monsters but that is not the norm. By the way, be careful that you, the wife, do not change into something the guy did not bargain for. If you were the saving type before he married you but afterwards, suddenly develop a taste for keeping up with the Joneses, that would not be fair to him.

Staying home (usually the woman in African settings) is a lifestyle choice and is determined by affordability and trust. I bolden this because for most people, it's not affordable but that does not mean you disparage others who can afford the choice. Above all, it should always be a joint decision and like most things in life, subject to change if it is not sustainble. No point doing it if one partner resents the other partner staying home or if it is not an affordable choice for your family

If the working partner's income is not sufficient to finance household expenses, you probably should not opt for it. When I say expense, that includes aso ebi, your Brazillian weaves, owambe parties, vacations, clothing, etc and any financial assistance to relatives/friends on both sides. I may be able to run my household on N50000.00 a month but maybe yours runs on $8000.00 per month. The same question still applies - can the working partner sustain the expenses? If so, for how long and at what cost?

At this point, I must say that if you don't have direct access to the income earner's accounts/earnings, if your assets and liabilities are not in joint names, then you should probably not stay home. Already, there's a comma in the situation if only one party makes and controls the financial decisions. In order for it to be successful, there has to be trust on both sides and each side should be comfortable with the other's spending habits.

Life insurance policies are available in Nigeria, same as in the West. It is called insurance in case the unexpected happens, fear of death should not mean you can't stay home and raise your kids if that is your family's desire. Sadly, the vast majority of Nigerian women that work, still have no net worth to show for it. It is still the constant hand to mouth, keeping up with the Joneses, dodging randy bosses at work who derive joy from chopping another man's wife.

Why are you staying home? For the vast majority, it's to raise their kids. For a few, it's simply a preference. If your spouse is fine with it and you can both make it work, do not let the mischievous sow discord in your home by calling you names.

If part of your self worth is tied to your career or how much money you make, it's probably not a good idea. For some people, working is not about money but about self worth/esteem
If you are going to miss the workplace environment, you should probably just keep working. If you are going to feel embarrassed and useless because you are not working, then keep working.

A much as possible, let your value system be based on experiences, not on acquisitions. I tell you, life becomes so much simpler once it's no longer just about acquisitions. Focus on building NW while at the same time, building your children (those that make the choice for kids).

Finally, yes, I stayed home for a couple of years, in Naija and in the West. I work now, because our kids are much older/independent and household expenses have grown. My extended family do not pry in my business so I didn't have to explain to anybody but I know it took a lot for my Mum not to say anything. She started working at 18 and only retired when she had a solid gold pension and left with a sizable package. If she were dead, she might have turned in her grave, she drummed career mum into me at an early age.

I stayed home but I have always had access to everything my husband has/earns and vice versa. I am that wife that knows where everything is and whose husband will "sign here" without a second glance because of mutual trust. It doesn't matter which gender plays the lead financial role, trust is non-negotiable when it comes to money, epecially for a Naija couple.

Nails it for me.+100 likes.Though it has to be said that for a naija couple,trust is a subjective word.All in all,koko is for me,analyse YOUR own peculiar situation and marriage and do what works for YOU.Though i think if you have to ASK for money for soup,chances are you really have no business staying at home.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 15, 2013
Now topics like this need to make front page.

Amazing.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by oluks05: 7:50am On Apr 15, 2013
MMotimo: Don't know how many times this issue comes up in this section but I will say what I have always said. Culturally, Nigerian women, especially Southerners have been raised to believe that you have to bring in an income in order for your spouse and his family to respect you. Never mind that you have abused women with full time jobs.

YOU MAKE SENSE DIE!!!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by claremont(m): 9:07am On Apr 15, 2013
There are ladies who do all these and still work. They are not super-human, they are just normal ladies who have decided to get off their lazy a/sses and go to work. I strongly believe that the fact that a lady performs 'traditional roles' shouldn't be an excuse for her not to work, it's simply laziness.

What really is the point of investing so much time and resources in getting a good education only to end up with a full-time housewife designation?! Absolute non-sense IMHO.

4 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 15, 2013
oluks05:

YOU MAKE SENSE DIE!!!
NA YOU MAKE SENSE PASS AS YOU QUOTE THE WHOLE POST. Shior.

1 Like

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Temismith(f): 11:12am On Apr 15, 2013
No comment.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by 1k001(m): 11:56am On Apr 15, 2013
claremont: There are ladies who do all these and still work. They are not super-human, they are just normal ladies who have decided to get off their lazy a/sses and go to work. I strongly believe that the fact that a lady performs 'traditional roles' shouldn't be an excuse for her not to work, it's simply laziness.

What really is the point of investing so much time and resources in getting a good education only to end up with a full-time housewife designation?! Absolute non-sense IMHO.

...A point among several others is that good outcomes for children is proportional to the amount of education of the mother (systematic review published in the lancet)

There is a big difference, nay a wide chasm between a housewife with a masters degree and one with a primary school education.

@topic my wife does far more work than me staying at home and complains far less than i do. I couldn't do half the things she does even given double the time. women are wonderful creatures! They cannot be appreciated enough!!

2 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by ayobase(m): 1:07pm On Apr 15, 2013

I know that God has been blessing u real good, and he will never stop blessing u real good!

U have said it all beyond how I could have!

U are INDEED a wife!

U are gonna make many enemies though!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by ayobase(m): 1:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
rokiatu: Now topics like this need to make front page.

Amazing.

Only topics that can fetch Seun more MONIES via postings dey make front page!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by MMotimo: 4:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
claremont: There are ladies who do all these and still work. They are not super-human, they are just normal ladies who have decided to get off their lazy a/sses and go to work. I strongly believe that the fact that a lady performs 'traditional roles' shouldn't be an excuse for her not to work, it's simply laziness.

. My paragraph 3 applies. For you, it's laziness. Safe to say it would not be a joint decision in your household and that's just fine. For those that choose the option, let it be "just fine" too.

My epistle is mainly for those for whom it is/will be a viable option but who are afraid of being called names by society.

I am pretty sure we have stay at home Moms in this section who would never admit to it because they are afraid of being called leeches.

As for waste of education, who says a SHM must be illiterate? And really, is it my business or society's, how much her education cost or what she has decided to do with it.

2 Likes

Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by ayobase(m): 4:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
MMotimo: . My paragraph 3 applies. For you, it's laziness. Safe to say it would not be a joint decision in your household and that's just fine. For those that choose the option, let it be "just fine" too.

My epistle is mainly for those for whom it is/will be a viable option but who are afraid of being called names by society.

I am pretty sure we have stay at home Moms in this section who would never admit to it because they are afraid of being called leeches.

As for waste of education, who says a SHM must be illiterate? And really, is it my business or society's, how much her education cost or what she has decided to do with it.

Ur siggy said it all!

U do not need to keep explaining...ur first post on this thread is enough for the wise!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by MMotimo: 4:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
damiso:

Nails it for me.+100 likes.Though it has to be said that for a naija couple,trust is a subjective word.All in all,koko is for me,analyse YOUR own peculiar situation and marriage and do what works for YOU.Though i think if you have to ASK for money for soup,chances are you really have no business staying at home.

Asking for soup money? In Naija, the cash management was one of my chores. I made the ATM withdrawals and was saddled with running from machine to machine when the yeye networks crashed angry

Over here, my debit and credit cards access everything, we have joint access and I still manage the cash flow.

As for trust, THAT just might be the biggest challenge.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
@MMtimo.... I commend you genuinely from the bottom of my heart, but from what I gathered from your post, bottom line=TRUST &RESPONSIBILITY.

No offence to anybody but I'll still be 100% as usual; with all these new age women emerging , very delinquent, disregardful ( No respect whatsoever for elders/ in laws) and most of all untrustworthy( not prudent). <--- with all those bad qualities these guys have no other choice but still marry them abi? So they will have themselves ( men) to blame if they entrust all their hard earned effort with those women .....

Your view is exactly what @lemon tried to explain few days ago here
: ( she wants to help multiply somebody else's $1=10 but spend hers solely on herself just cause it's a man's duty to care for his family, like really??)

but I tell you I don't see that happening these days..... Their brain works like a Mac, very calculated and conniving & schemed you have no idea with their pancaked faces angry

You also talked about knowing one another during courtship before going into marriage, I was engaged for 5years , I know what that guy is thinking before he talks, I'm sure it's a taboo now grin

Let those plastic bones go and work and bring earnings too-- my take.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 5:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
jydogirl12: @MMtimo.... I commend you genuinely from the bottom of my heart, but from what I gathered from your post, bottom line=TRUST &RESPONSIBILITY.

No offence to anybody but I'll still be 100% as usual; with all these new age women emerging , very delinquent, disregardful ( No respect whatsoever for elders/ in laws) and most of all untrustworthy( not prudent). <--- with all those bad qualities these guys have no other choice but still marry them abi? So they will have themselves ( men) to blame if they entrust all their hard earned effort with those women .....

Your view is exactly what @lemon tried to explain few days ago here
: ( she wants to help multiply somebody else's $1=10 but spend hers solely on herself just cause it's a man's duty to care for his family, like really??)

but I tell you I don't see that happening these days..... Their brain works like a Mac, very calculated and conniving & schemed you have no idea with their pancaked faces angry

You also talked about knowing one another during courtship before going into marriage, I was engaged for 5years , I know what that guy is thinking before he talks, I'm sure it's a taboo now grin

Let those plastic bones go and work and bring earnings too-- my take.

You call them new age, I say these characteristics are not new ones but that of women over the ages

Sweet!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
[/quote]
biolabee:

You call them new age, I say these characteristics are not new ones but that of women over the ages

Lol.... Over the ages? Elaborate pls?
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
jydogirl12:

Lol.... Over the ages? Elaborate pls?

You highligted some xteristics
But I tell you I don't see that happening these days..... Their brain works like a Mac, very calculated and conniving & schemed you have no idea with their pancaked faces

These are not new age
Women have generally been conniving
That is why the virtuous woman is rare and extolled

Good women (just like men) are rare
So no be today

No be person be jezebel
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
biolabee:

You highligted some xteristics
But I tell you I don't see that happening these days..... Their brain works like a Mac, very calculated and conniving & schemed you have no idea with their pancaked faces

These are not new age
Women have generally been conniving
That is why the virtuous woman is rare and extolled

Good women (just like men) are rare
So no be today

No be person be jezebel

That's your own take(generalization/sarcasm) .... Lets work with statistics here( age groups) ...... How many women in this 'day & age' will a man entrust ALL his Accounts to manage compared with ones within @MMtimo age bracket ?

How many 'family dispute' threads on NL family section alone are from 10years and up marriages compared to newlyweds?

Statistics/ percentages-----> don't mix apples with oranges.

( I think my ban is expired grin)
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 7:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
jydogirl12:

That's your own take(generalization/sarcasm) .... Lets work with statistics here( age groups) ...... How many women in this 'day & age' will a man entrust ALL his Accounts to manage compared with ones within @MMtimo age bracket ?

How many 'family dispute' threads on NL family section alone are from 10years and up marriages compared to newlyweds?

Statistics/ percentages-----> don't mix apples with oranges.

( I think my ban is expired grin)

i am not generalising
the fact that sth is not common makes it rare ie the proverbs 31 woman lets not go into that here

Unfortuartely also i dont have facts based on marriage age segments

But what i can say is this more men entrust their finances to their wives now than the previous generation
This does not mean there are more virtuous women now

ehya... u are unbanned
I thought Tee would ban u till the next Beijing conference tongue

Anyway go and sin no more cheesy
yay
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2013

Is this one okay? undecided Smh And it's one lady that will marry this one. BIG CROSS! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by damiso(f): 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2013
MMotimo:

Asking for soup money? In Naija, the cash management was one of my chores. I made the ATM withdrawals and was saddled with running from machine to machine when the yeye networks crashed angry

Over here, my debit and credit cards access everything, we have joint access and I still manage the cash flow.

As for trust, THAT just might be the biggest challenge.

No MMotimo i was not referring to you o.I was just saying generally if a woman has to be chasing her man around for allowance or housekeeping grin she probably has no business being at home.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by MMotimo: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2013
@Jide

Who is lemon and what's the talk about multiplying money and spending yours on yourself?

I agree with Biola, the younger generation is more into the openness and cooperation when it comes to household finances. I do not know a single couple in my parents' circle that have joint anything. It's MY account, MY tenants, MY shares, MY land, etc then OUR church and maybe OUR children grin. In my Naija circle, which is a small one by the way, I know of only one jointer couple. My best friend is a jointer though but she's from a different culture.

. . . . . and thanks for announcing my 6 decades on a public forum angry tongue

@ damiso

Ok but even for those who have to ask, if it works for their marriage, does it really matter to any of us? Naija women are very full of "I can't take that" even though they accept worse from their own husbands. Personally, don't like to put mouth in other people's marriages and the way they do things. Even my own Father doesn't get how/why I handle household finances and everything is joint

@ biolabee

That your crush wink wink Is she Ada or Kishanna Sands? Or is Kishanna Bahamian-Igbo?
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2013
@MMotimo

er er.... ermmm

please o i am not a finder of trouble o
that lady is on her own o.....
She has not come out to say otherwise.. pasting pics of someone else to generate thread appeal
Na wa o

Phew!
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 16, 2013
MMtimo..... lol @6 decades.

Now lets break the younger generation down, when I said the older generation, I didn't mean your or my parents age group, Noooo( those are archaic grin) ..... but I meant your age group cool ( 28-30&up), now don't get me wrong ofcourse there're still bad eggs in that group but few.

Oh that lemon, she brought up the idea -> labour monopoly just for men only while the wife ( shm) stays home as the financial advisor/expert ( mtcheww) equipped with with money multiplying power and buys cheap groceries.

Yeah I'm minding my own business , I just find it odd when a human being that's good at fighting for gender equality says she doesn't have to work/help financially just cause she'a a She.
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 4:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
jydogirl12:
, I just find it odd when a human being that's good at fighting for gender equality says she doesn't have to work/help financially just cause she'a a She.

That statement set the female cause back by 60 years
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 16, 2013
biolabee:

That statement set the female cause back by 60 years

Buzz off!! angry tongue
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
jydogirl12:

Buzz off!! angry tongue

to where...., Like the greatest, i float like a butterfly and sting like a bee tongue tongue cool

#NothingDoMe
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^^ who is he talking to? undecided

I'm back cool *kills all butterflies&bees with Raid* angry
Re: Because Your Wife "DOES NOT WORK"? by biolabee(m): 8:33pm On Apr 16, 2013
jidegirl12: ^^^ who is he talking to? undecided

I'm back cool *kills all butterflies&bees with Raid* angry

the more you kill me, the more i multiply
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

#NothingDoMe

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marriage Dilemma / She Deceived And Forced Me Into Marrying Her / What Should Children Do If They Catch Either Parent Cheating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.