Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For (22227 Views)

I Have This Tokunbo Car For Sale On Instalmental Basis / A Tokunbo Toyota Highlander 2008 For Sale / I Need A Tokunbo Car Dealer In Lagos Who Does Financing Through The Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by automedics: 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
The following are the very important things that must be rigourously observed when you presumably an average person without any form of technical automotive knowledge wants to buy an automobile.

1.Don't let the aesthetic,that's the shimmering or sexy look of the car fool you. Usually, vehicles prepared for sale are deliberately burnished to glimmer.

2.Be very observant, immediately you turn the key on(just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn't working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

3. As soon as the engine is cranked within a few seconds, it must not be up to a minute, the entire dashboard signs' lights must go off.

4. If you notice the CHECK ENGINE light going off simultaneously with the ALTERNATOR light and/or the OIL PRESSURE,then something is wrong.
5.Once the engine has been cranked and is running at idle, the person/s in the vehicle must not feel any discernible vibration. If you feel any form of vibration, it's either bad engine mounts/s, or bad transmission mount or the engine is misfiring.
6. If the vehicle has an automatic transmission system,simply engage the gear with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, you must not feel any sudden shudder or jerking. It should be a smooth engagement with the vehicle simply trying to move in the direction("grin" forward and "R" backward) of the gear engaged.
7. If all the above observations have been satisfactorily met, while the vehicle's still running smoothly in idle, put on the AC(air conditioner). The needle on (or counter of) the RPM guage must still remain at the same position, allowing for maximum of fifty, over or below(not up to a movement between two stroke marks of the RPM guage). This is a good load test on the engine.
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to http://www.carfax.com/, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).
If you are happy with the report and all observational and physical test explained above, satisfied, you can then pay for the car.
]http://automedicsafrica.com/new/?p=816
Follow us on twitter @automedicsnig

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by gwariman007: 2:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
bless u my bro for this public enlightement ...
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by caesaraba(m): 2:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
It's a good read. Thanks.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by MadCow1: 3:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
Finally, a gd post making front page...rather than daily updates from Tonto Dikeh's publicist and some front page wannabe's posting pix of "who wore it better"! angry

21 Likes

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Akpaife(m): 3:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
Wht abt plane?

1 Like

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by imperiouxx(m): 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
automedics:

2.Be very observant, immediately you turn the key on(just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn't working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

Is this second point peculiar to Nigeria/Africa or everywhere?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by chygoz3(m): 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
Interesting piece of information. So if I check my father's car's VIN, I should be able to know who the car belonged to?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by ifyfaith: 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
tanx
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by cashii25: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
Thanks , very good post !
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by hrmkz: 4:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
Nice one...
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by calculusx(m): 4:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
Good One Sir. I will be joining your next set of students very soon to acquire more knowledge. Knowledge is POWER.

How I wish buyers can heed to your advise,majority of them are looking for cheap cars forgetting nothing good comes cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by lanetrips: 4:11pm On Apr 15, 2013
Hi,pls wat causes the sudden shudder/jerking.regards..
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by sansom1(m): 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Good post,keep it up.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by jamp: 4:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
Bless you brother this is realy good
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by fuckluv(f): 4:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
Very good info. Thanx! Check ur inbox for d gift for service rendered wink
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by veesion: 4:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
nice post
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
korrect post tanx
but does this apply in Nigeria too? the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to carfact.com, to get the vehicle history"...
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by nenergy(m): 4:46pm On Apr 15, 2013
Hmmm, Car purchase is a long-term capital expenditure, so i'll rather buy a low budget (cheap ass) "tear rubber", than risk being duped.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2013
Thanks bro! Text ur account number for a job well done
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by chubbytee: 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
8.Before you make any payment for, or on, the vehicle: look through the lower region of the automobile's windscreen, literally in front of the steering wheel, or on the door frame of the driver's side, for the 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)log on to carfact.com, to get the vehicle history( service,ownership;incident-like accident/s etc).

This is a nice post, i really enjoyed it. However, I tend to go against para 8.
Do I hear why? I'll tell you....
In this part of the world, we don't keep effective and detailed records of repairs
and pimping carried out on vehicles.
once again, your no.1 to 7, very accurate and impressive. grin grin grin
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
Story! Carry an experienced mechanic to see the car if possible two different mechanics at two different dates.

Give them food, them go tell you car wey still dey bam. Then dont buy a car on the first day you visit a car shop. Check the car several times.

There is also a way of knowing stolen cars, from a tampered chasis number below the windscreen or on the driver's door.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by Pacify: 5:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
Jus what I need
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by sammmiey1: 5:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
@op I logged on 2carfax.com,it only states my car has 25 history records and nothing more.where do I get to view d records?
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by blackmann(m): 5:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
I have a minor correction for your no.7 point. When you switch on the Ac Compressor, the engine tends to "Rev" for just under a second due to the load change as you mentioned. It is just like you giving a humph when you lift a heavy object. You will notice this by the RPM needle rising slightly and returning to the position it was.

4 Likes

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by omowolewa: 5:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
Timely post!
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by sammmiey1: 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
You will be charged when you log on to carfact.com 4any info on ur car,its suppose 2b free.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by blackmann(m): 5:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
samm_miey: @op I logged on 2carfax.com,it only states my car has 25 history records and nothing more.where do I get to view d records?

Usually on CARFAX you pay to have your vehicle reports given to you.

One more thing to add to the OP's post. Once you've satisfied yourself and have made your purchase, take the car to a very repuitable mechanic to have it thoroughly checked out. And there is a component that most mechanics say has to be removed that reduces the temprature of the engine(i've forgotten the name. Any of you guys can help me out here). this component usually makes the engine fan kick in once the engine gets hot. PLEASE DO NOT AGREE TO THIS. This component has been programmed to make the fan kick in when the engine gets too hot. If it is disabled, the fan will just continue to blow and this will put alot of stress on the engine of the car. Those that manufactured the car know why they put it there in the first place. At least we as humans will not put on an AC when the weather is very cold, will we?

2 Likes

Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by chemvic: 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
God bless you really good! @automedics.......ur post was just so timely for me!
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by spyroxy1(m): 5:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
NICE 1
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
Yeah, it's fine to av a good knowledge of this but it is better if u still take a trusted expatriate with u cos dose boys could go to any length to deceive one.
Re: Buying A Tokunbo Car: Things To Watch Out For by lekanSuccess(m): 5:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
Very nice tip

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2021model Mercedes Benz Maybach GLS 600 Fullest Option Brand New / CLEANEST 2015 4RUNNER 30M LAST!!! / 2017 Model Benz C300 Toks Fully Loaded Good Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.