Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha (8405 Views)

Female Suicide Bomber Kills 7, Injures Many In Maiduguri / Independence Day: We Have Uncovered Plots To Wreck Havoc In Abuja – Ohanaeze / 15 Die As Rainstorm Wreaks Havoc In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Ebestsmscom: 6:52am On Apr 16, 2013
7 Feared Dead As Rainstorm Wreaks Havoc In Onitsha

AWKA — SEVEN persons were feared dead and goods worth millions of naira destroyed in the commercial city of Onitsha during a down pour.

Those who died included two men said to be driving in a Toyota Camry car towards Asaba in Delta State, as well as a Keke NAPEP operator and his passengers. A crane was used to recover the Toyota car and the two occupants.

The identities of the victims have not been established, but they were said to be carried by the ravaging flood at the slum area of Okpoko junction, near the Upper Iweka road in Onitsha. Two other corpses were also seen at a spot near the Kate bus stop in the area.

It was gathered that corpses of the occupants of the Camry car were recovered yesterday, but the Keke NAPEP operator and his passengers were yet to be found, though the tricycle had been recovered.

Mostly affected were the Onitsha Electronics International Market and Enamelware Market which are adjacent the Head Bridge-Upper Iweka expressway on the Okpoko end of the road where many warehouses were submerged.

Traders at the market were seen salvaging their goods washed away by the flood yesterday with some of them claiming that everything they had in their shops went with the flood.

The Public Relations Officer of the traders’ association, Mr. Innocent Ezemenari, said it was difficult to quantify the loss immediately, even as he said that it ran into millions of Naira.

According to him, most of the people affected were young traders who had just been settled by their masters, while others were those who got their goods on credit.

While calling on President Goodluck Jonathan, Governor Peter Obi and people of goodwill to come to their aid Ezemenari urged the Federal Ministry of Works to extend the drainage system along the Upper Iweka-Head Bridge axis to the River Niger to allow free flow of water during the rain.

The traders’ spokesman observed that if urgent measures were not taken, the entire market would be sacked when the rains become heavy.

He appealed to Anambra State government to speed up work on the on-going Sakamori drainage project which is costing the state and federal governments about N2 billion.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/7-feared-dead-as-rainstorm-wreaks-havoc-in-onitsha/
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Tsmooth1(m): 7:07am On Apr 16, 2013
The 1st shall become the last. Holy B: Chapter18: Verse22!
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Cupidkc(m): 7:18am On Apr 16, 2013
OMG....not again.
Come to think of it,we are yet to experience more heavy rain.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by mekaboy(m): 11:09am On Apr 16, 2013
do we always have to wait till things spoil in this country before we fix it?

was there no sign of this from last year flood?

angway may GOD comfort them.

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by jimharry21(m): 11:21am On Apr 16, 2013
i hope this is not tsunami attack on my people.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Deivid10(m): 11:21am On Apr 16, 2013
So, Hw did it hapn?
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by gabzzy: 11:23am On Apr 16, 2013
may their gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Ichel: 11:23am On Apr 16, 2013
T-smooth:
bookin space for 1st to.......person?
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by RiKKies: 11:27am On Apr 16, 2013
What a tragedy?
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by ifyfaith: 11:27am On Apr 16, 2013
hmmmmmmmmm.dis world na wah, it was even fore told n yet d gov n d people havent done anytin yet
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by adingo: 11:32am On Apr 16, 2013
 believe if drainages are built, it should be covered so as locals won't be able to pour trash...if it not covered, more havoc would definately occur

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Dygeasy(m): 11:33am On Apr 16, 2013
Really sad.

May God comfort their families and may we not experience any more of these kind of events.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by KingOmarion(m): 11:35am On Apr 16, 2013
You r a slowpoke for putting a dot on ur comment....wat an slowpoke
T-smooth:

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Dygeasy(m): 11:36am On Apr 16, 2013
ifyfaith: hmmmmmmmmm.dis world na wah, it was even fore told n yet d gov n d people havent done anytin yet
there's little the people can do bro!
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Ibangap(m): 11:37am On Apr 16, 2013
When i hear abt d predictions of dis year's flood nd hw massive its going to be, am being tempted to scream 'End time!'..... But wait o, i tot God said he was not goin to destroy the earth wit flood again?
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Aafulenu(f): 11:39am On Apr 16, 2013
that sunday's rain was just to heavy. the havoc it caused ehhh.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by JojoArmani(m): 11:40am On Apr 16, 2013
wat a sad news in Onitsha dis morning RIP to those dat lost their life and so sorry to those dat lost their properties and goods.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Akshow: 11:57am On Apr 16, 2013
KingOmarion: You r a slowpoke for putting a dot on ur comment....wat an slowpoke
so putting a dot on his comment is a problem? dude get a life pls. what a silly deluded clown. @topic may the souls of the departed rip. sad news i tell ya. and to think the rainy season has not yet get to its peak. may God protect us all
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by MadCow1: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2013
mekaboy: do we always have to wait till things spoil in this country before we fix it?

was there no sign of this from last year flood?

angway may GOD comfort them.

How do you fix rainfall and flooding sir..

How do you fix natural disasters?!
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by ZUBY77(m): 12:30pm On Apr 16, 2013
I witnessed the rain first hand. There was a 7 hour hold up at the niger bridge due to some accident at the Asaba end of the bridge. I spent four hours on top of the vibrating bridge and i was kind of scared. I was in my car with my wife on our way bak from Onitsha on Sunday night and she was more than scared. I was telling her not to be afraid while i was afraid. I updated my facebook account several times during that horrible stay on top of the bridge. I think i am going down to the eastern side of the bridge to live

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 16, 2013
does anyone have any video of the storm? please we would love to get some to broadcast on BattaBox and speak to you on the phone about what happened... thanks o
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Cupidkc(m): 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2013
Its a pitiable one.....and to think that enough warning were and is been made before now.
RIP to the souls of the departed.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2013
Sins of the father
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by kalunomics(m): 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Sins of the father
smh
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by OCcool: 2:36pm On Apr 16, 2013
KingOmarion: You r a slowpoke for putting a dot on ur comment....wat an slowpoke
what's wit the insults,why split ur hea.d over wat isn't ur business? He decides to put a dot on his comment, so? Was it on ur hea.d he put the dot? Go get a life pls!! @topic RIP 2 the dead. May God help us all.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by kponkedenge(m): 4:52pm On Apr 16, 2013
And u r a fastpoke for quoting him mumu
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by wahihi(m): 5:03pm On Apr 16, 2013
IT IS REALY A SAD NEWS MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THIS COUNTRY NIGERIA. AND MAY GOD GRANT THE FAMILY OF THOSE THAT LOST THEIR AND PROPERTY TTHE HEARTH TO BEAR THE LOST R I P TO THE DEAD.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Mgbadike80: 5:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
Why can't the government implement complete a drainage project on time? I blame it on the government. They like stretching project time as long as possible often going into decades.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Sins of the father

Da fvck
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by BarryX(m): 6:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ain't gonna be funny this year men....We should brace up for the worst because with the way things are going, Last year might be ''tiko tiko gbaskelebe'' Pardon me , don't wanna sound like a doomsday prophet.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by BarryX(m): 6:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ain't gonna be funny this year men....We should brace up for the worst because with the way things are going, Last year flooding might be ''tiko tiko gbaskelebe'' Pardon me , don't wanna sound like a doomsday prophet.
Re: Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha by Valto(m): 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2013
may God av mercy.... R.I.P to the dead. to those that lost their goods and properties may God replenish ur loss....amen

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Locates 19 Illegal Polling Units In Akwa Ibom State. / See What El Rufai Is Doing In Kaduna. Photos. / Possible Outcome;2015 Presidential Election In Yoruba States;an Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.