Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:52 PM

Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? (10973 Views)

Just Got My NYSC 2015 Batch A Call Number Via Sms / Good Place 4 Ppa Dat Will Pay Me In Lagos State / NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by ada2000(f): 2:00pm On May 11, 2006
Hello All

I am in the UK and will be coming back to do my NYSC for this Aug/Sept, I have been told that I can choose what state I want to serve in.
I have never lived or studied in Nigeria before,  I usually come  for two weeks hols every few years and usually have a great time , so to me this is a chance to get familiar with home.

Anyway I am thinking of choosing River state ( port Harcourt)  because is close to my family in Abia state. but just wanted to ask   if anyone has served in Port Harcourt and could share with me their camp experience?
                                                                                                                                                                                        I am very confused now because alot of the stories i have read here about camp is all too bad, so i really don't know if i should cancel coming for it,

please advise me, if you can. I am confused and don't want to make the wrong choice.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by Hotstepper(f): 4:14pm On May 11, 2006
although i haven't done it but planning to do it when am done skool next year, do it if it is sumthing u really wanna do. Port Harcourt is a nice city to do it in, let others who live in nigeria or have done it, tell you more, Good luck
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by kajad(m): 5:05pm On May 11, 2006
I do not know the stories you heard about camp that is so bad.
The only thing I can tell you is not to come home with too much expectation; note the realities in Nigeria viz a viz the infrastructure. The worst thing that can happen to one coming home form abroad is the realities of having to live without things he/she took for granted.

The good part is that you will meet a lot of young people like yourself who have lots of ideas and have developed great optimism and ways of having fun like you never imagined; Like a lot of people you may just meet your true best friend during your service

So, go and have some fun, you definitely will not be the weakest amongst 1001 girls!
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by wiseguy(m): 2:04pm On May 12, 2006
If you are posted in the city center for your primary assignment, all well and good. But if they take you to a remote village, you'll not find it funny. When I served (4 yrs ago), there was no problem but now there are crises almost in every part of the state especially in the villages where they resent non-indigenes so much (Its not their fault). So, the safest place for now is to stay within PH city. The creeks and villages are boiling. If you can't guarantee your doing it in PH city then go to Abuja, Enugu, Imo or Abia. Don't try Lagos you can't cope for now.

The camp is the same everywhere, not in infrastructure though but in experience and life generally. Whatever you see in any camp is part of the fun. Just make the most of it.
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by kajad(m): 2:35pm On May 12, 2006
@ wishguy
You served 4 years ago when there was crisis all over the country and noting happened to you. You are telling someone coming to serve now how terrible it will be! Some of you guys never cease to amaze me.   angry  angry  angry
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by xkape(m): 3:55pm On May 12, 2006
@ada
I served in Port Harcout last year and i decided to stay. Took a job here instead of lagos or Ibadan. I guess i love the place.
When u come around buzz me and i ll show u the ropes grin cool wink
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by wiseguy(m): 4:39pm On May 12, 2006
wiseguy:

, When I served (4 years ago), there was no problem but now there are crises almost in every part of the state especially in the villages

@kajad
I don't know where you got your interpretation of what I posted. The above quote was exactly what i posted. I did not say that there was a problem then. I said there are problems now. Atleast she deserves to know the situation on the ground and that I can tell because I still live in PH. Mind you this is someone coming home to experience Life for the first time. She needs a soft landing and she must be told the truth.
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by NSNA: 4:45pm On May 12, 2006
I am in the UK and will be coming back to do my NYSC for this Aug/Sept
how is that possible schooling outside of Nigeria and doing NYSC
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by kajad(m): 5:42pm On May 12, 2006
wiseguy:

@kajad
I don't know where you got your interpretation of what I posted. The above quote was exactly what i posted. I did not say that there was a problem then. I said there are problems now. Atleast she deserves to know the situation on the ground and that I can tell because I still live in PH. Mind you this is someone coming home to experience Life for the first time. She needs a soft landing and she must be told the truth.

I got you quite well! I want to know the problems that are in these villages and how thay affect a youth corper. When you served there were more problems associated with election and it did not affect you. Why are you claming there are crisis now for a coper?

If Shell give you a job in any village in Rivers state which will you reject because of this your so called crisis? Please give a name.

I Live in PH 2 and i want to know those problems you claim are on ground and how the will affect her during service.

@NSNA
I m sure you are not a Nigerian.
Every graduating Nigerian under 30 irrespective of where you schooled is expected to do a compulsory I year national service. It used to be a thing of pride to have the opportunity to serve.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by freelance(m): 6:49pm On May 12, 2006
I think i wud advice you to serve in lagos.am a corper right now and my friends in port harcourt are complaining of some many things like everything is expensive and light.so i wud advice you to serve in lagos. its better here.take care and all the best
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by bolex(m): 7:55pm On May 12, 2006
freelance

almost 98% of your life

you spend in Lagos

why not move around to some place you never been and catch the fun

abi

cool

That is whay NYSC is meant for now

As for me

When the time comes

I sure will do that thing

God please grant me that chance
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by gem87(f): 11:21pm On May 12, 2006
p.h is a cool place, there's competition enough money and pollution too lol
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by beyonce1(f): 2:22am On May 13, 2006
bolex:

freelance

almost 98% of your life

you spend in Lagos

why not move around to some place you never been and catch the fun

abi

cool

That is whay NYSC is meant for now

As for me

When the time comes

I sure will do that thing

God please grant me that chance

Hey @Bolex na where you find your 'ENGINEER' title if you never graduate? because I JUST WONDER O  undecided
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by Idekeson(m): 3:14pm On May 13, 2006
ada2000:

I have been told that I can choose what state I want to serve in.

Why are you given the option to choose the state to serve? Does it apply to all corpers or only graduates of foreign universities?
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by Hotstepper(f): 7:51pm On May 13, 2006
it is only for those who studied abroad, I shall be doing mine in Abuja when the time comes esp. since ma field is mostly in Abuja as per gov't jobs, am doing pols. science kiss
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by Idekeson(m): 1:29pm On May 14, 2006
Hotstepper:

it is only for those who studied abroad, I shall be doing mine in Abuja when the time comes esp. since ma field is mostly in Abuja as per gov't jobs, am doing pols. science kiss

Most foreign graduates will obviously choose major cities in Nigeria. This is contrary to the goals of NYSC. You should be ready to serve anywhere you're posted except you can show compelling reasons that you cannot. Of course familiarity isn't one of them, cause one of the goals of NYSC is to get Nigerians familiar with different parts of the country.
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by gem87(f): 4:31pm On May 14, 2006
well i'm glad i get to choose where to do it cuz i'm thinking ph city too
been there luved it goin bck i hope
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by maki(f): 2:35pm On May 15, 2006
@ada2000

hey girl if you want to come and serve in PHC there's nothing wrong with the place, you can come around do your thing, aint nobody is stoping ya. Port Harcourt is every other place where you have the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, a londoner can cope very well in PHC.
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by Seun(m): 2:39pm On May 15, 2006
I do not recommend Port Harcourt for any purpose at this time. the so-called militants have made the place too hot for comfort: car bombings, kidnappings, an assasination, pipeline vandalism, etc. Too hot. Please don't go there.
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by ada2000(f): 3:04pm On May 15, 2006
@XKape

So you served in PH and stayed, what did you like about PH so much to make you stay on??

@seun

what do you mean by too hot,,are you talking about the sun or what and who is been kidnapped, your comments is kind of puttin me off now going there,, please explain more
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by maki(f): 3:16pm On May 15, 2006
Seun:

I do not recommend Port Harcourt for any purpose at this time. the so-called militants have made the place too hot for comfort: car bombings, kidnappings, an assasination, pipeline vandalism, etc. Too hot. Please don't go there.

Seun just shut it angry angry angry
is anybody looking for you? who even knows you
so far as those militants are concern you are invisible
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by kitaun(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2006
Served in Rivers state,finished just few months ago.
Guyz pls note that PHC is just a LGA in Rivers State,and u might not be lucky enuff to choose after 3wks orientation where u will spend the rest of the period,served in a village and i thoroghly enjoyed myself ; that was at Tai lga(ogoni land),though i cant say the same NOW because of the present situation of the place whether ada wld enjoy her stay,especially with the poor state of camp facilities that wld have put off an ajebo 4rm overseas like ada
Pls get posted to any of the villages and ur life will not remain the same again HALLELLUYAH grin grin grin
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by ada2000(f): 10:28am On May 16, 2006
@ kitaun

who told you that am ajebo??, am sure i can survive in any village that you went to.

Anyway can you tell me a little more about the camp experience?? what was it like?? what were you doing for the whole 3 weeks?? and what was the facilities like?
What did you like and hate about it, please fill me in on what to expect in camp??
and did you get to go out , as in have time off or what?
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by xkape(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2006
@ada2000

Sorry i didnt see ur question earlier

PH is a new environment for me and i like new things.
Secondly, contrary to what people may say about militants and all, PH is more peaceful and laid - back than lagos. U dont need to hustle around like a headless chicken cos u want to live.
All the violence and militancy dont really affect the average person, they mostly occur at the oil locations. There are also a lot of cult killing and so but i wont say they are more than other places and they are mostly localised to some parts of PH, mostly "town" All major cities in the world have thier own "down-town " areas.
Generally, ph is peacefull and u dont have to look over ur shoulder for pickpockets and dupers and hypnotists and ritualists like u would in Lagos
Besides if u get into the right places, u can make truckloads of money in Ph grin
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by maki(f): 9:30am On May 22, 2006
xkape:

@ada2000

Sorry i didnt see your question earlier

PH is a new environment for me and i like new things.
Secondly, contrary to what people may say about militants and all, PH is more peaceful and laid - back than lagos. U don't need to hustle around like a headless chicken because u want to live.
All the violence and militancy don't really affect the average person, they mostly occur at the oil locations. There are also a lot of cult killing and so but i wont say they are more than other places and they are mostly localised to some parts of PH, mostly "town" All major cities in the world have their own "down-town " areas.
Generally, ph is peacefull and u don't have to look over your shoulder for pickpockets and dupers and hypnotists and ritualists like u would in Lagos
Besides if u get into the right places, u can make truckloads of money in Ph grin

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin

Correct Guy
Re: Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? by moots(m): 11:45pm On Oct 04, 2009
Portharcourt is alright in my opinion. Although it may have its peculiar problems just like any city in Nigeria, congestion, traffic hold ups etc. But I believe those are part of the stuff that makes NYSC an experience and you will be serving with a lot of young nigerians coming from different parts of the country who have various backgrounds, cultures, experiences etc so it should be a challenging and fun ride. Just like some posters mentioned you should not come with the expectation of having an Alice in Wonderland life style.

I worked in Shell Portharcourt for about 6 years before relocating to UK and I enjoyed it. I am from the Northern part of the country, but I made it my home learnt new things, learned to cook the local food, visit some of the villages, learnt about the culture of the peope and respected their culture and mode of life. I still believe Corpers are given due regard by the communities they are posted to.

When I did my NYSC I was posted to Benue state, even though I had never been there before; i ended up enjoying my service year beyond measure. I was also offered a job then, but because I wanted to do other things I did not take up the offer.

So wishing you all the best

(1) (Reply)

N19,000 Wont Be Enough So Get More Pay As A Corper / Ex corpers now in the real world. Welcome guys. Whats next? / CONGRATULATIONS To 2012/2013 Batch C Corp Members.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.