Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help (4118 Views)

7 Tips That Will Make Driving In Wet Weather Safer And More Bearable. / My Car Exaust Smokes White Only On Cold Start Up. What Is Wrong? / 1996 VW Vento Or 1996 Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 12:04am On Apr 18, 2013
Can anyone help me with the starting up challenge av been having with my 1996 Toyota Camry for a while now.
When my car sit overnight, it start up immediately at a single cracking as long as the weather is not so cold in the morning.
If it rains overnight or the weather is so Cold, my Car will crack but will not fire up. After several attempt of no Start up, I will start smelling Gas.
Most Times, I will just leave the Car and go to work.

Immediately I return from work or after Sun has shine for a While, my car will start up at a single crack with no stress at all.

At times, @ relatively cold weather, It will Start up at a single Crack and it will start to idle eratically like it wants to die. Most times it will die and i will start it up immediately for like 2 times before the car gets to normal Operating Temperature.
Once the car get to operating temperature, the eratic idling will stop and all will be well with the car until the next cold or Extremely cold morning.

At times, when the car is idling eratically(i.e the idle needle is moving bet 900 - 500 RPM) @ start up, the Engine will throw up a cell light of P0300 (Random /Multiple cylinder Misfiring).

Even though my car has over 330,000 km on her dash, she is well maintained.
I have just installed new spark plugs(Denso)and Plug wire last month yet am still having cell light of P0300 (Random /Multiple cylinder Misfiring).

What could be the cause of cell light P0300? Could it be Distributor, Rotor, Cap, Coil, Igniter or Excessive Carbon Build up on the Top Cylinder as a result of the Age and Mileage of the car?

I need the help of the Experts in the House.....

Thank you
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 6:58am On Apr 18, 2013
I would check the values of CTS. If its giving you more than 3 volts in the morning before cranking the engine, then the CTS is faulty, its flooding the engine.

Also, does your engine have cold start injector?

Ikenna.
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Ikenna for ur response.
What do you mean by CTS? Do you mean coolant temperature sensor or Engine Coolant Temperature(ECT) as my car uses the 2. The former is located @ the lower radiator chamber.

Also,by my understanding,5s Engine in which 1996 Camry uses is not Equiped with Cold Start Injector . It uses ISC valve which I learnt has Manufacturer defect.
Am wondering weda I can use that of a later year say 1997-1999 Camry?
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 1:30pm On Apr 18, 2013
issy1500: Thanks Ikenna for ur response.
What do you mean by CTS valve?

By my understanding,5s Engine in which 1996 Camry uses is not Equiped with Cold Start Injector . It uses ISC valve which I learnt has Manufacturer defect.
Am wondering weda I can use that of a later year say 1997-1999 Camry?

CTS: Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Its usually located around Thermostat housing. It should have 2-wire connector.

Ikenna.
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 2:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Ikenna,
I doubt weda the CTS on my car is working right from when I bought the car as a tokunbo 2 years ago oh cos both my ac and radiator fan runs non stop right from when I put on my ignition.
I had even swaped a diff CTS from a colleague about a year ago to know weda my was faulty, still no diff as the my fan still run non stop as against the way it should be (I.e CTS controlling fan operation)
I will check the volt like u av said sha oh
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 2:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
But could a faulty CTS make my car to be having random cylinder misfiring at early morning start up interchangeabilly switching from one cylinder to another from time to time at start up and immediately the car reaches operating temperature all will be well again?
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 2:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
issy1500: But could a faulty CTS make my car to be having random cylinder misfiring at early morning start up interchangeabilly switching from one cylinder to another from time to time at start up and immediately the car reaches operating temperature all will be well again?

Misfiring is usually symptom of an ignition issue.

A faulty CTS would cause engine flooding, hard starting and hesitation at cold start. Am not sure about misfiring.

Ikenna.
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 10:31pm On May 04, 2013
I fixed a new fairly used complete distributor and cap that i got and the Cold weather starting difficulty / Multiple cylinder misfiring @ cold start up is now a thing of the past.
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by issy1500: 10:36pm On May 04, 2013
@ Ikenna, Thanks for your support. It was quite helpful
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by ferraridai: 9:16pm On Feb 27, 2015
THANKS FOR THIS REPLY. it helped me. the only challenge i have now is that when it starts early in the morning it misfires for few minutes but after that,the engine works perfectly well. the car i was working on had the same symptoms like what u described here and it's a 95camry
Re: 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help by DECOtech(m): 11:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
Ikenna351:

Misfiring is usually symptom of an ignition issue.

I believe you. but do not leave the fuel rail pressure out of your check list

(1) (Reply)

Peugeot 307 Issues: Anti Air Pollution SOLUTION / Which Should I Go For? 206 Or 406 / 2002 Accord Idling Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.