Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Story: Taking Chances - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Taking Chances (392135 Views)

10 Bestseller E-novels For The Taking / "Taking My Chances" Episode One / Taking Over(a Play) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 10:31pm On Apr 26, 2013
Okay, first of first, if I was Jide's father I would have sent a slap at him for cussing in my face. He can misbehave o but not the F word in my face.

Poor Daisy, I almost feel her sadness and that Ade seems like quite a character waltzing up the stairs reminds me of Louis Litt from Suits.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by Ishilove: 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2013
Just reading the first post. You gat something going on, princesa, good show! I will read the rest and make my comments later cheesy
Re: Story: Taking Chances by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
Bookmarked

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by jgurl(f): 4:48am On Apr 27, 2013
wow!! U are just tooooo gud... i luv ur story more strength to ur elbows
Re: Story: Taking Chances by luvmijeje(f): 6:51am On Apr 27, 2013
repogirl: Okay! Permission to speak now, Jide is a total tool for treating Daisy this way! They are married till death do they part, I dnt know whatever grudge he has against her but he should better start warming up to the idea of spending the rest of his life with her.

smiley, okay, finished my venting. Great, great, great keep it coming pls. My kinda story, am grinning from ear to ear and can't seem to stop it.
Abeg, don't talk o. U dat make my fine tikky to fall in love with that naughty deifa.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 7:17am On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
Abeg, don't talk o. U dat make my fine tikky to fall in love with that naughty deifa.

Lol, ah ahn, you still haven't gotten over that one?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by luvmijeje(f): 7:50am On Apr 27, 2013
Princesa, so far so good. I'm enjoying your story.
@Repo, I have not o so I'm reading all ur comments with eagle eyes.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 8:11am On Apr 27, 2013
Ishilove: Just reading the first post. You gat something going
on, princesa, good show! I will read the rest and make my comments later cheesy
#dancing Azonto#
come oh, am waitingcheesy

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by Ishilove: 8:19am On Apr 27, 2013
princesa:
*I've seen what you writers go through, phew*
grin grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 8:26am On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
pay this repogirl no heed
very naughty deifasad grin

#HBG.....i see you, thanks
rofemiguwa......thanks
jgurl.......thanks
guest......thankssmiley#
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Fishoy(f): 10:24am On Apr 27, 2013
Didnt no wat i ws missin until i strted readin dis mornin...nice story u got dr...
Re: Story: Taking Chances by MaziOmenuko: 10:56am On Apr 27, 2013
Nice story, I've been following quietly until wizee blew my cover, lol.

Waiting for Daisy to brace up and seek solace on the arms of that calabar boy, okon; you know my style now, do the do.'y and clean mouthcheesy

Ishilove:
grin grin

Can't help but add my own smileys gringrin

Been wondering why prinsesca was off my neck until I stumbled on this thread.

Good work.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by Tovot: 11:13am On Apr 27, 2013
princesa:
pay this repogirl no heed
very naughty deifasad grin

#HBG.....i see you, thanks
rofemiguwa......thanks
jgurl.......thanks
guest......thankssmiley#
so where is my name? abi I dnt deserve thanks,ok am not commenting till futher notice sad
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:
Nice story, I've been following quietly until wizee blew my cover, lol.

Waiting for Daisy to brace up and seek solace on the arms of that
calabar boy, okon; you know my style now, do the do.'y and clean mouthcheesy

Can't help but add my own smileys gringrin

Been wondering why prinsesca was off my neck until I stumbled on this thread.

Good work.

sorry, Daisy is a posh girl, she wont stoop so low. cool

and don't heave a sign of relief, just yet, cos my pest mode is activated grin
thanks for dropping bywink

#tovot darling i have been saying thanks na, oya take another and another, even a kiss joinwink#

#fishoy....kisses for you toowink
Re: Story: Taking Chances by MaziOmenuko: 12:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
princesa:

sorry, Daisy is a posh girl, she wont stoop so low. cool

Ooops. . . My bad. I actually thought the definition of stooping low was obliging to an 'arrangee' marriage with a man that doesn't love you, that actually despises you and can't bare the site of you that he had to zoom off to work 2 days after the wedding.

But what do I know! Afterall, I'm a goddam sex-addict.

4 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Ooops. . . My bad. I actually thought the definition of stooping low was obliging to an 'arrangee' marriage with a man that doesn't love you,
that actually despises you and can't bare the site of you that he had to
zoom off to work 2 days after the wedding.

that you are, and it badly clouds your judgement and recommendations. Maybe Daisy didn't act so posh then, but banging Okon is worst and will only drift her away from the love of her life or the chance of ever winning his love and attention. tongue

you should check this your perspective of ladies as only good items on the bed, it would help you a lot dude cool
Re: Story: Taking Chances by wumsgreen(f): 1:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
:PIs is it only me dat thinks there is one bad chemistry btw general maxi n princesa.she kind of enjoy attacking him.no wahala maxi is sure going to treat her well ask........
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 2:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
wumsgreen: tongue
Is is it only me dat thinks there is one bad
chemistry btw general maxi n princesa.she kind of enjoy attacking him.no
wahala maxi is sure going to treat her well ask........
as they say, there is a thin line between love and hate, so who knows the part of the divide am on tongue
its just a figment of your imagination grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2013
Soooo, Princessa , anything for us today?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by luvmijeje(f): 3:05pm On Apr 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Ooops. . . My bad. I actually thought the definition of stooping low was obliging to an 'arrangee' marriage with a man that doesn't love you, that actually despises you and can't bare the site of you that he had to zoom off to work 2 days after the wedding.

I'm getting a negative vibes here but b4 I mind my darn bussiness, he did raised valid questions in my mind which hopefully will be answer in your subsequent updates.
Why would daisy agreed to an arrangee marriage? How did she fall in love with some1 whose pics she has only seen? Why and how did Jide accept to get married to her? What age range are they? Why is her father not in agreement to their marriage? Also mama and daisy are so close, what's the connection? Why would mama force Daisy esp daisy on her first grandson? What was she doing before she left everything to come to Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 3:58pm On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
I'm getting a negative vibes here but b4 I mind my darn bussiness, he did raised valid questions in my mind which hopefully will be answer in your subsequent updates.
Why would daisy agreed to an arrangee marriage? How did she fall in love with some1 whose pics she has only seen? Why and how did Jide accept to get married to her? What age range are they? Why is her father not in agreement to their marriage? Also mama and daisy are so close, what's the connection? Why would mama force Daisy esp daisy on her first grandson? What was she doing before she left everything to come to Nigeria?

Good questions but you need to exercise d virtue of patience nao, all in due time, I guess. Princessa will unravel the mystery one at a time.

And Princessa, sup now? Anyfin torday?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by weezii(m): 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
@princesa, nice one there. Really loving the plot of the story...happens alot these days.

More grease to your fingers as you type more
Re: Story: Taking Chances by luvmijeje(f): 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
repogirl:

Good questions but you need to exercise d virtue of patience nao, all in due time, I guess. Princessa will unravel the mystery one at a time.

Re: Story: Taking Chances by luvmijeje(f): 4:45pm On Apr 27, 2013
repogirl:

Don't mind me, I just don't want her to leave any stone unturn and honestly I luv this story die and I am seeing alot of potential in this story.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 10:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
Why would daisy agreed to an arrangee marriage? How did she fall in
love with some1 whose pics she has only seen? Why and how did Jide
accept to get married to her? What age range are they? Why is her father
not in agreement to their marriage? Also mama and daisy are so close,
what's the connection? Why would mama force Daisy esp daisy on her first
grandson? What was she doing before she left everything to come to
Nigeria?
gosh! you gave me quite a heart attack with all that questions, where they actually meant for me alone? grin

but i relaxed when i knew that i have all the answer to the questions. so relax, no stone will be left unturned...

and update should be coming tru tomorrow hopefully, bear with me. thankssmiley
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Tovot: 10:18pm On Apr 27, 2013
princesa ur appologies are accepted but update tomorrow kiss
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 9:17pm On Apr 28, 2013
Chapter 5
Daisy was feeling much better than she had these past few days, for two days after the 'mattress' incidence, Daisy had hardly seen the exterior of her room, even when Okon came yesterday for his cleaning rounds, she
had totally ignored his knocks on her door. But today, after much
thought and resolution, she was out & in the kitchen.

She had somehow consciously come to grasp with her situation, and told
herself that getting so down-beaten with any cold shoulder act that Jide sprang up would only give him pleasure if she kept showing that it
affected her badly. She resolved to try play along his 'game of
shoulders' and show him that if he was trying to pass across a message, she wasn't decoding! She would show him also that she was the least
afraid of all his tantrums, his arrogance, his impulsiveness, his bad temperament, his ego and whatever package came with the man now her husband.

However, she was going to make sure she didn't pay him back in his own coin, she would show him that two wrongs don't make a right and that 'evil' can be bought with good, though she knew it was going to be an
uphill task.

She would try her best to condone, comply and give him the much space he was trying to tell her he craved. Didn't the Bible admonish wives to
respect and submit to their husbands with all the patience they could
muster? Even though she wasn't really a 'Bible person' she remembered
that the Pastor had said something like that during their wedding service, also, every book on marriage issues she had read or glanced
through revolved around the same virtues; But she wasn't going to
sacrifice her comfort and emotions on the altar, if it eventually came
to that.

This was the reason why she was up early and busy in the kitchen trying
to fix breakfast for him again, even though there was little to work with today.

She made a mental note to ask him for money to buy food items for the kitchen, for it was his damn responsibility, even if he was gonna go all smokes on her, she wont care. The jollof rice she had cooked on Monday
had served her hunger needs yesterday evening when she emerged from her
room to eat, for she had practically been surviving on juice before then. Bless Okon for heating it on Wednesday morning else they wouldn't have been
any left to salvage. But now, she couldn't keep mute and starve to
death, her Bank at the states told her it would take time for them to
complete the money transfer to her new bank here in Nigeria, she didn't
even know how far they've gone with it, due to the recent activities
that demanded her time.

After much deliberation, Daisy decided to boil water and fill the flask, then she arranged the tea items close to the down-turned tea cup.
She surveyed her work and shaking her shoulders in resignation, she went to seat in the parlour, they was plainly nothing in the house, maybe that would give him an idea of it she thought.

The time was 6:20 & since she didn't feel sleepy, she decided to watch Television.

When Jide surfaced at about seven all dressed for work, Daisy who was engrossed in the musical video she was watching on Trace TV, didn't notice the surprise that appeared on Jide's face for a flint second.

He was surprised to see Daisy in the parlour and the dining, set. For the past two days, she had locked herself in and now she re-appeared and was acting as if nothing had ever happened.

He quietly picked his key from a side stool, a scowl played up on his face, then he thought he heard someone say 'hi' but when he cast a glance at Daisy, she looked deeply engrossed with the television.

4 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2013
Was she trying to show him how resilient she could be? Jide thought angrily as he marched out of the house banging the door after him.

The sound jolted Daisy, her gaze travelled to the door, then to the
dining before it settled back on the television.

She had said 'hi' to him then and had wanted to say more but the scowl on his face stopped her, she just feigned to be engrossed in the Tele instead.

So much for her brave resolution then, for she knew now that it wouldn't
be as easy as she had thought. She was far too weak, emotionally to keep up the game. She slowly lay on the settee, her mind blank.

Daisy opened the door to see a man in front of her, he looked very
familiar but her brain was finding it hard to firmly piece him together. The man smiled now and extended a hand to her, she put out her hand to
receive the handshake, but she still wasn't clear who he was or where she had seen him before.

'Mrs. Olukoya right?' the man asked as he cut the handshake.

Daisy merely shook her head to his question, she wasn't sure if she
should invite him in, he was also holding a large brown envelope that looked heavy.

'Good' the man said bringing out the content of the envelope '...I came here to deliver the wedding pictures, mama gave...'he was saying but Daisy had lost attention, the word picture had jolted her memories and
now she remembered who the man was, she felt so silly for how hard she tried to recollect who he was. Her wedding photographer!

'The photographer!' she nearly screamed.

'Yes' the man said an amused streak on his face

'Do come in' she said

'okay' he replied and Daisy gave way for him to pass.

Towards the settee, he brought out the picture album and gave it to her.

Daisy got busy immediately flipping through the pages, she was visibly
excited and forgot about the man or the fact that they were still
standing.

'I will also collect the remaining payment for the picture'

'oh' she replied, that had definitely gotten her attention.'how much is
it' she asked closing the album, her face didn't hold the initial
excitement.

'5K' the man said simply.

'I... I am sorry but...I don't have...i mean, the money is not ready,
uhm...Jide...i mean my husband had no idea that...'

'I understand quite alright' the man interrupted. He thought the woman
before him to be really amusing with the way she stammered with that
American accent of hers, he honestly understood her plight. It would be
best for him to come back and since the family was well off, his money
should be ready then.

'Am sorry' Daisy calmly said.

'Its okay, I will come back... lets say Saturday...'

'It would be ready then i promise' Daisy cut in, the color now returning
to her face.

'let me be on my way then...' he replied and started for the door.

'Is there anything i can offer you?' she called.

'Thanks but am in a hurry' he replied without looking back, soon he was
out and walking down to the gate.

Daisy heaved a sign of relief, then reopened the picture album and went
to seat down. She had taken her bath and had been watching television
before she heard the knock. She was over the trauma of the morning
incident with Jide, that was one good thing about her, she hardly sulk
for long or allowed her emotions weigh her down completely, except
offcourse, in some instances.

The picture before her now was the one where Jide had been dancing with
the 'lady on red' during their couples dance, the picture brought back
memories of the wedding celebration she had succeeded in blanking out,
anger burned in her, just below that was the 'cake-stuffing' picture,
she wondered if the photographer had intentionally arranged the 'ugly'
pictures together because the previous pictures had been lovely, Jide
seemed to be in his best behaviour then.

It didn't get any better As she flipped through the next pictures, they showed how desperate Jide had been to create a scandal, just then, the movie scene of Julia Roberts in 'Runaway Bride' running away from her wedding on a horse flashed through her mind, she imagined herself in the same situation but this time in a Nigeria busy road as the horse galloped away through traffic, she smiled, that would be scandal enough for Jide and the nosy media she thought. Another thought struck her then: she hasn't browsed the internet to see if there was anything about their wedding, the Olukoya's might just be prominent enough to attract media attention.

Her phone rang then interrupting her flow of thought, it was crying helplessly on the dining table. She dropped the offensive picture album and started for the Dining.

The number that showed on her phone looked familiar, it bore the international code of Boston, Daisy had a feeling that she knew who it was.

'Hello' she said.

3 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2013
'hello!' the voice at the other end
screamed, Daisy pushed the phone away from her ear to curtail the
noise. She definitely knew who it was.

'Jeez Bren, you don't wanna bust my ear drums now, do you?' Daisy
replied smiling while she sat down on one of the dining chairs.

'Spare me that Bullshit! 'ave been searching your number for days now' came the reply.

'And who let the cat out of the bag?'

'It was quite a search, i had to call Mama's house and the housekeeper gave me her Nigeria number and then i called there, then she gave me your number, jeez Dee, why didn't you call me Since you left?'

'Maybe cos i was pissed at you' Daisy replied.

'oh Dee, you know i wouldn't miss your wedding for anything in the
world, but my exams...'

'got you!' Daisy screamed 'how i love every chance i get to make you whine like a dog'

'oh you! You know i would squeeze your neck for this if i get you' the other said playfully.

'you gotta catch me first then' Daisy giggled. She really loved
Brenda,they were the very best of friends infact they were 'BFFs'. It
was indeed her Master exams which coincidentally fell on her wedding day that stopped her from coming, she understood.

'So how was the wedding?' Brenda asked.

'so and so' Daisy replied, that question changed her countenance.

'And what's that supposed to mean?'

'lets just say it would have been bearable if you had been there with
me' Daisy said, her tone laced with sadness, her eyes instinctively
travelled to the album on the chair.

'oh Dee, like i knew that dude ain't worth the sacrifice, but you were
so bent on your shortsighted perspective of love and affection, it beats
me to know how...'

'really Brenda, i don't think you called to tell lash an 'i told you so'
did you?' Daisy cut in angrily

'Chilax girlfriend, i don't wanna fight with you over the phone, i
missed you that's why i called'

'well okay, forgive me, i missed you too'.

Silence on both sides.

'that reminds me i saw Peter the other day...' Brenda was saying.

'Am a married chick now!' Daisy cut in. Peter was her Ex-boyfriend

'oh puleaseee, spare me' Brenda replied stressing the 'please'

They both laughed.

'Talking about marriages, have you and your hubby done the deal, you
know what i mean' Brenda said

'yeah right' she scoffed 'that dude would rather beat me into a pulp
than make sweet love to...'

'oh no he didn't!' cut in Brenda with an alarmed tone.

'jeez sister, i was trying to make an expression here' Daisy replied
exasperated.

'that better be, cos i know that man ain't tripping if he don't want me
to be all over his face'

This made Daisy smile, she knew Brenda was capable of all that drama,
she was, as Mama referred to her 'agaracha ibo', she could really cos a
drama when she set her mind to it unlike the calm and docile Daisy.

'He wouldn't dare' Daisy said 'not when you are there'

They both laughed.

'I really miss Boston, you, the Hospital... everything ...even Peter'
Daisy was sober now.

'I know, you don't know how i feel too, you are married now and can't come back...'

'Don't be too sure about that'

'It still wont feel the same, you know, am thinking of coming back finally to Nigeria, mother Africa calls'

'Not you too!'

'America holds no more splendor for me, i wanna be close to my friend and family'

'I can't wait for then, it will be just like old times'

'keep your fingers crossed girlfriend'

'they are most definitely' Daisy said. The two friends were really nostalgic.

Daisy heard a knock just then. She cursed silently, when would this people stop springing up on her?

'A knock Bren, I'd just go get it then...'
'Oh no, i gotta go too, will call you tomorrow'.

'okay Bren, don't forget to. I'll Miss you'.

'I'll miss you too, byeee' Brenda said and cut the call.

Daisy felt so alone now and wasn't curious to know who was knocking, the drama of today was overwhelming and she didn't need more.

She slowly stood up to go see who it was that was knocking louder now.

4 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 10:32pm On Apr 28, 2013
happy Sunday to all my readers, i appreciate you all *kisses* remember to drop the much cherished commentswink

but this is where am gonna halt this chapter, tomorrow i would update all of it, you know its me and my love for voluminous chapters, maybe because i can be a big talker some times grin and this chapter took all of my Sunday, yet i couldn't write it allsad

so bear with me....thanks
goodnightcheesy

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by oyestephen(m): 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2013
Princessa doesn't disappoint
Expecting an update tomorrow, this story has been fantastic so far.....but why did jide's father condone such rude behaviour
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Emeralddan(f): 9:49am On Apr 29, 2013
Am so much in love with ur story......but daisy is too calm for my liking

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Captor Of My Heart: The Tamers. / Meant To Be / When Love Speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.