Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party (11681 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / Huge Challenge For APC As Lai Mohammed Exits / PDP Governors Set To Form A New Party - Peoplesdailyng.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by fkaz(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
ACN Holds Last Convention, Adopts APC As New Party

LAGOS – APPROXIMATELY 4671 delegates of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Thursday in Lagos unanimously adopted the All Progressive Congress, APC, as its new politicalparty.
Also, the party ratified the expulsion of some members approval of merger with other political parties and groups, approval of new name All Progressive Congress with acronymAPC and approvals of new Constitution, manifesto, flag, logo and slogan.

There’s urgent need for change – Akande
In his opening address, National Chairman of the ACN, Chief Bisi Akande said “this convention is a special one. The urgent need for change as the country desires to rescue our country compelled us to provide an alternative leadership for Nigeria. We must not entertain any fear or surrender to blackmail. We must be mindful that merger is new in Nigeria.

A storm is brewing – Tinubu
Lending his voice, national leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu urged Nigerians to be part of history just as he predicted that a political storm is brewing in the country.

No ulterior motive to merger- Buhari
For ACN and CPC, it was not an alien issue, it was a continuation of what we started in 2011. Time was against us and all I can say is that the rest is history. This time around, we started early to build on the foundation we have laid in 2010. I assure you that all those who are consistent, that are concerned with this system of solidifying democracy should know that the only solution is this merger.

Details later

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/acn-holds-last-convention-adopts-apc-as-new-party/

3 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 18, 2013
From AD to AC to ACN and now APC hmmm, change is constant indeed

3 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Afam4eva(m): 7:18pm On Apr 18, 2013
chiover: From AD to AC to ACN and now APC hmmm, change is constant indeed
I think this is an insult to AD. A lot of people have the belief that AD changed to AC but i think what happened was that the leading figures in AD created a new part called AC and so, everybody assumed that AD changed to AD. AD remained a part and probably still remains a party after AC was created.

1 Like

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Tolexander: 7:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
Anyhow it comes, all APC should want is PDP's waist in the next election!
APC should be up to the task to demand this so that at the before any election we can all try to assess which one can give a better dance or better screw.

1 Like

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Tolexander: 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think this is an insult to AD. A lot of people have the belief that AD changed to AC but i think what happened was that the leading figures in AD created a new part called AC and so, everybody assumed that AD changed to AD. AD remained a part and probably still remains a party after AC was created.
AD existed as a party after the leading members went to form AC.
AD had a candidate in chief Adebayo Adefarati for the April 2007 election but died before the election.
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by seunfly: 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
AD is still in existence even till today, now they operate as a subsidiary of PDP when they lost the battle of SouthWest carelessly to ACN.
APC wooow!!! I am looking forward to that party and i hope this merger work out.
It's not because i think they will be better than Pdp but they will give pdp a strong challeng that will force both of them to work for the betterment of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Kessyy2k4(m): 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hmmm... Long over due, i cant wait 2 cast my vote for this APC

1 Like

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by gunuvi(m): 10:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
All na wash. All of una be the same.

2 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by OAM4J: 10:46pm On Apr 18, 2013
Having two strong parties is good for the polity. At least Nigerians have a choice of voting the lesser evil party at every point in time, thereby forcing the more evil party to start doing more good than evil in other to regain power. Overall the citizens will be better for it. This of course is only true if majority of the people do not vote on some stupid sentiments only.

13 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Dee60: 10:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
Anything but PDP!
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by wellmax(m): 10:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
I wish and pray that they succeed in dislodging the PDP.

4 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by oddy4real(m): 10:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
fkaz: ACN Holds Last Convention, Adopts APC As New Party

LAGOS – APPROXIMATELY 4671 delegates of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Thursday in Lagos unanimously adopted the All Progressive Congress, APC, as its new politicalparty.
Also, the party ratified the expulsion of some members approval of merger with other political parties and groups, approval of new name All Progressive Congress with acronymAPC and approvals of new Constitution, manifesto, flag, logo and slogan.

There’s urgent need for change – Akande
In his opening address, National Chairman of the ACN, Chief Bisi Akande said “this convention is a special one. The urgent need for change as the country desires to rescue our country compelled us to provide an alternative leadership for Nigeria. We must not entertain any fear or surrender to blackmail. We must be mindful that merger is new in Nigeria.

A storm is brewing – Tinubu
Lending his voice, national leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu urged Nigerians to be part of history just as he predicted that a political storm is brewing in the country.

No ulterior motive to merger- Buhari
For ACN and CPC, it was not an alien issue, it was a continuation of what we started in 2011. Time was against us and all I can say is that the rest is history. This time around, we started early to build on the foundation we have laid in 2010. I assure you that all those who are consistent, that are concerned with this system of solidifying democracy should know that the only solution is this merger.

Details later

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/acn-holds-last-convention-adopts-apc-as-new-party/
all these one na filmtrick. They still cannot syand the firepower of the PDP. the PDP would give them the beating of their miserable lives in 2015. then, the APC would dismantle, re-merge and would keep losing.
i choose to vote the PDP over these thieves turned 'progressives'. when the door of my house is faulty, i would not call a thief to repair it for me.

2 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by iamswizz(m): 10:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
well. that one concern them
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Proxy001(m): 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
Actionx my people say speak louder than voice..... opc.. oh sowi APC ignore d name and work harder in d states u already have so u guys can win d hearts of Nigerians in d next general elections. but we no wan hear say una field 'vuhari' oo!!
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by gysl1973: 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
BREAKING NEWS INEC ANNOUNCE MERGER WITH PDP, FRESH...................

THUNDER FIRE ANYBODY WHEN GO INSULT ME
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by dayokanu(m): 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2013
Go APC kick out PindiPi

2 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by chessguru1(m): 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
Would like nothing more than to see PDP gone. But in all honesty, I see these guys self destructing in the nearest future...greed and selfishness will take its course.
#watchingMode
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Proxy001(m): 10:56pm On Apr 18, 2013
wellmax: I wish and pray that they succeed in dislodging the PDP.
oh sowi,, u mean "pig dig pit"? hahaha

2 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
OAM4J: Having two strong parties is good for the polity. At least Nigerians have a choice of voting the lesser evil party at every point in time, thereby forcing the more evil party to start doing more good than evil in other to regain power. Overall the citizens will be better for it. This of course is only true if majority of the people do not vote on some stupid sentiments only.
well said. instead of someone coming here to spit shit like acn being the messiah party. I like what you said about lesser evil. One thing is certain: both are evil

1 Like

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
Fraud, Indiscipline and corruption, Squandermania, misuse and abuse of public offices for self or group aggrandizement, which has assumed debilitating proportions in the last few years, will be dealt with ruthlessly no matter whoever may be on board.
-------------GEN BUHARI

My kind of leader. cool

3 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by RiKKies: 10:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
Yes. Only change is constant.
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
waiting for our brother, sincere Nigerian, our own Ruben abati comment
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by afinic001(m): 11:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
wellmax: I wish and pray that they succeed in dislodging the PDP.

They are all the same.
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
IMF gave Nigeria certain conditions which must be met. In 1984 when the naira exchanged for $1.34, the IMF demanded a minimum of 60% devaluation of it. Buhari refused, agreeing only to a "crawling peg"—a mechanism whereby government would realign the currency gradually, forestalling or minimizing economic and social dislocations because of such drastic devaluation of its currency. In addition to the devaluation of the naira, IMF demanded that government took other drastic actions:

(a) The government must remove its subsidy on petroleum.
(b) It must curtail its expenditure.
(c) Government must rationalize its tariff structures.
(d) It must put a freeze on its wages.
(e) It must put a total end of non-statutory transfers to State governments,
(f) Government must at least institute a 30% raise on interest rates

Government resisted this because the decline in its revenue earnings and its debt obligations made it almost impossible to raise interest rates without triggering inflation (West Africa, May 14, 1984).

The Nigerian government and veteran economists in Nigeria (like Aluko, Onosade, Okigbo, etc) could not make sense of being asked to devalue its currency when Nigeria’s imports were in dollar and its export (fixed quantity of oil) was also in dollar. The implication of devaluation was that Nigeria would pay more to import lesser quantity of goods than it did prior to any devaluation. It would also export the same amount of oil it exported before any devaluation and derive lesser revenue than it received before any devaluation. The impacts of it debt payment would have harsher effect on the citizenry if the naira was devalued.

This did not make any economic sense to Buhari; it struck him as an insult on the intelligence of the African. Finance Minister Onaolapo Soleye and Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji who led the Nigerian delegation to the last negotiation in Washington were chewed out by US Federal Reserve Chairman, Paul Volcker, for presenting the Nigerian governments rejection of most of these recommendations. For rejecting the IMF conditions and the loan, the Buhari administration got into the black book of Washington. Already, it had earned the dislike of 10 Downing Street for cutting down Nigeria’s imports from the UK by about 350%. In any case, without the IMF loan, government was still in a bind as to how to finance capital projects and pay for imports, especially spare parts for local industries, food items, etc. At this juncture, the genius and resourcefulness of Buharinomics illuminated to the delight of the African.

[b]First, the administration sent Oil Minister Tam David West to OPEC to seek a raise in the quantity of oil that Nigeria could export. If OPEC agreed, Nigeria would expect to generate extra revenue in the long run from any increase of its oil quota and this would assist tremendously in augmenting the shortfall in the nation’s purse. Professor West came back empty handed—the US and Britain had put pressure on their puppets in OPEC (like Saudi Arabia) to refuse Nigeria’s request.

To counter OPEC’s bluff, the Buhari administration entered into a $2 billion barter trade agreement with four countries. Nigeria daily bartered 200,000 barrels of oil as follows:

(a) completely knocked down parts for automobiles from Brazil.
(b) Construction equipment from Italy
(c) Engineering equipment from France, and
(d) Capital goods from Austria.

This barter trade took care of the administration’s need to have borrowed money but it intensified the ill will the US and Britain had for Nigeria. By bartering this oil, Nigeria was:

(a) solving those needs which the proposed IMF loan was geared toward. Doing so without borrowing or feeling the pains of spending the meager amount generated from its OPEC approved 1.3 billion a day oil export is the stuff an economic wizard is made of.

(b) Britain had been cut off as Nigeria’s major supplier of the goods which the countries in the barter agreement sent to Nigeria.

(c) The US usurious money lenders were denied the chance to suck Nigeria dry through the IMF loan.

(d) American and British oil companies were irate that the oil being bartered would flood the oil market, cutting in on their profits.

(e) The oil being bartered was oil that used to be illegally bunkered before Buhari put illegal oil bunkering artist out of business. For once, an African country had put positive economic mechanism in place to salvage its ailing economy without swallowing IMF’s poison pills.[/b]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

6 Likes

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
What's d use of d merger when una go still loose. For as long as buhari will be d presidential candidate. APC will always loose. Nevertheless, I got no love for APC leaders so PDP still gat my vote. PDP!!! Power!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 18, 2013
I thought the witches & wizards have spoken that GEJ will win 2015 presidential election, BUHARI will forever lose and APC merger will implode before the election while OBJ no go fade for naija politics till death. grin grin grin

Anyway I hoped-for a better nigeria.
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by NeoXVI: 11:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
OAM4J: Having two strong parties is good for the polity. At least Nigerians have a choice of voting the lesser evil party at every point in time, thereby forcing the more evil party to start doing more good than evil in other to regain power. Overall the citizens will be better for it. This of course is only true if majority of the people do not vote on some stupid sentiments only.

My thoughts exactly. I pray they succeed and become as strong as PDP.
I hope they are able to field exciting candidates with some pedigree in public or private service.
I hope that to a good extent they allow party process and primaries to pick the best candidates.
I hope they realize that we have high hopes that when they do get into power they will do better, much better to help us forget all the years of PDP misrule.

Their allegiance should be to the Nigerian populace.
APC over to you. Help awaken the sleeping giant that Nigeria is!
Re: ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party by thelastPope(m): 11:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: [color=#000099]IMF gave Nigeria certain conditions which must be met. In 1984 when the naira exchanged for $1.34, the IMF demanded a minimum of 60% devaluation of it. Buhari refused, agreeing only to a "crawling peg"—a mechanism whereby government would realign the currency gradually, forestalling or minimizing economic and social dislocations because of such drastic devaluation of its currency. In addition to the devaluation of the naira, IMF demanded that government took other drastic actions:

When were you born that you are posting this nonsense here. We saw it with our eyes. Buhari, the illiterate sharia proponent was the beginning of Nigeria's economic mess and the decay we have today and he was a coward to boot. If he was a real man, he would not have hidden under Idiagbon's pants for 20 months. As soon as Idiagbon went for hajj, they kicked the fool out of office without a single fight. If that dolt had not truncated our nascent and budding democracy, we would have been a great country today. The idiota wanted to be a life president and had no single plan to return the country back to democracy. No wonder he never supported any of the struggle to return the country back to democracy throughout the 90s. Even people like Tinubu and Gowon at one time or the other learnt their voice to the call for democracy but Buhari was silent all along. Where was the idiotic Buhari when so many people came out to advocate to a return to democracy? He was busy frolicking and dinning and embezzling with Abacha and later declared Abacha corruption free. Now he wants to reap where he didnt sow. He wants to enjoy a democracy he vehemently truncated and fought against.

He will fail as he has always failed.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Assembly Fails To Account For N9 Billion - Audit Report / You Will Soon Enjoy Benefits Of Tough Decisions, Tinubu Assures Nigerians / Rivers Assembly Screens, Confirms 20 Commissioner-nominees For Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.