Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention (17677 Views)

David Mark Returns To Benue To Meet A Rousing Welcome From Supporters / Tribunal Judgement: Wike Returns To A Rousing Reception In Port Harcourt / Lagos Traffic Tomorrow : GEJ's Visit Vs ACN Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoAtlantic: 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2013
[size=15pt] SACRIFICING THE PARTY TO SAVE NIGERIA

Protocol
1. History is upon us, asking something bold of us. Those who hear must respond to its call because history is impatient. If we tarry, history shall not. If we fail to act as the situation requires, history will still move forward and its pen will write an unanswerable verdict against us. All the prior achievements and feats we have recorded in the past will matter little unless we now answer the challenge now facing us.
We have come to the place where things must change or we shall sink. For the nation to continue as is constitutes nothing less than an invitation to doom. Such a fate we shall not abide.

2. The hour is late and our chance for national progress reduces with each idle moment. The way Nigeria is governed must change and change dramatically. This means the shape of politics must change.
Nigeria must be a prosperous, secure, safe nation that helps weaker nations attain peace and stability. Instead we are beset by woe on all sides. Boko Haram falls upon our people in the North. MEND in the Niger delta falls upon us. Kidnapping and robbery encircle the nation as if we have become a training ground for criminal misconduct.

3. Rich in manpower and material resources, Nigeria should set the agenda for economic development and broadly shared prosperity on the African continent. Today, the opposite is the case. Instead of having a wealth of domestically produced goods in our manufacturing basket, we hold a virtually empty basket. As such, we have become a basket case.
More Nigerians than ever before suffer under the daily grind of poverty. Unemployment is so rampant among our youth that finding a job is no longer the natural progression of life. It is seen as a miracle.

4. Even then, upon finding work, too many people soon discover they labor for wages below the subsistence level. For them there is too many days left until the end of the month after the money is finished. With too little food and more tears in their eyes than drinkable water in their cups, they stare into the darkness of   despair on a constant basis.
This is not the way of a great nation. It is the way of heartless and mean governance that puts the interests of small elite above the interests of the common working man and woman who are the soul and backbone of this nation.

5. We should have a vast land transportation system that moves our active, energetic population safely and moves our goods and produce cheaply. Instead, our roads have become portals of death where people perish by the dozens — one accident after another.
Yet, those in command do nothing for the average Nigerian who is forced to run this gauntlet of death for his daily crumbs of bread. Instead, those who could improve this situation for the good of all do just enough to make things better for themselves.

6. Where the road is bad, they budget for it, still the road gets worse off. Where the road is impassable, they offer excuses and empty promises. The touted improvement in electricity supply is now a mirage. In the midst of petrol dollars and abundance of natural gas Nigerians are without a commensurate standard of living. Our billions are embezzled and shared to cronies. The slogan of the ruling party is power, but corruption is the fuel that powers their government.
In a prior age, an arrogant ruler reportedly once scoffed regarding her starving population, “let them eat cake.” Today, our rulers scoff at our people “let them face death.”
The current way of governance makes nation building impossible.  What it does is make poverty and the erosion of a just society inevitable.

7. We have gathered at this hour and in this place to put an end to this national corrosion. We have assembled to bring a new day and a new Nigeria to our people.
The Nigerian people are decent and hard-working people. They also are long –suffering.  Just because they are long –suffering does not mean they should be forced to suffer until death comes.
Our people have had enough of having nothing. The current government’s trademark is to throw empty words and hollow action at our problems as if doing nothing will cause our troubles to leave from sheer boredom.  Instead, trouble mounts.

8. If this is the government’s idea of transformation, I will have none of it. It seems their notion of change is to go from slow motion to no motion at all.
If they want to stand still, that is their right. However, they have no right to force the whole nation to stagnate with them. We have things to accomplish and progress to make for the good of the people.
If they have nothing to offer except the nothing they have been giving us, let’s join hands with others to sweep them aside. so that we can keep pushing through and move this nation upward and forward.

9. This is why we hold our convention today. This convention portends the coming of great political change. A storm is brewing. Don’t be frightened. It is a positive storm with a positive wind. Those things that have no roots and offer no solution to the plight of the people shall be swept away. This storm will change the political terrain forever.  I am not afraid of this storm. I welcome it because the storm is us- our new vision. Our new party.

10. I stand to tell you that for the good of Nigeria this must be the last and final convention of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN.  As one of the national leaders of this party, I have dedicated myself to our political collaboration. I am attached to it in the strongest way. I am proud of what we have accomplished. Had we not held fast in the southwest against onslaught and intrigue, Nigeria would effectively be a one party state. When history rights its tale of the past decade, it will say the ACN preserved Nigerian democracy when it came under great threat.

11. But we must enter a new phase if poverty and want are to be lifted from the backs of our people. Given the destructive nature of PDP governance, we can no longer be satisfied with preserving democratic practice and with serving as the opposition. The first step in changing Nigeria for the better is to change government for the better.

12. Weighing all things in the balance, if I must decide between the existence of this party and the improvement of Nigeria, I must choose the improvement of Nigeria. That is our duty and responsibility. While it would be most comfortable to remain with our party as is, with its unique symbol, manifesto and constitution, we are not here to do what is comfortable. We are here to do what is right for our people and our country.
 We are here to answer to a greater, higher calling.  That calling is the love of Nigeria.

13. To rescue Nigeria from the blight of misgoverance, we must join hands with like-minded progressives in other parties and organizations. We must sacrifice our current partisan identity to create a larger one capable of assuming leadership at the national level. This and only this offers the best chance for Nigeria at this stage. We dare not miss this chance because we cannot be sure of another.

14. I ask you my brothers and sisters to take pride in what ACN has accomplished but to have the vision and courage to see that our national imperatives require us to enter a new phase of political maturity, sacrifice and cooperation in order to bring an era of progressive governance to the whole of Nigeria and not just part of it. If we must end the ACN identity to form a new party so that Nigeria can survive and our people can live better life and face a rewarding future., then so be it. We shall do this with serious yet happy purpose and no regrets.  May your chests fill with pride at what we have done and may your hearts fill with optimism at the better future that we shall create.

15. Join me today in voting to move our party into merger with the ANPP, CPC, other parties and organizations to form the All Progressives Congress, APC.
I assure you that the place we are going will be your house of political fulfillment. We shall have a meaningful voice in the APC. The principles of democracy, justice, visionary governance and liberty that shaped the ACN shall carry over into the APC. The new party will be as welcome a home as the ACN. It will just be a bigger house for a larger political family.
It shall be this family that saves Nigeria by bringing to the people the creative policies that promote wide prosperity, employment, infrastructural overhaul, education, health care, civil rights, peace, stability and justice.
Thus vote with me to close the historic and noble chapter on the ACN so that we can begin a new and bigger book called the APC.

16. For us this is not a sad ending, it is but the beginning of a great beginning. Let us do what is right so that when history writes its account of this day, it shall write that we lived up to our moral duties by doing what the moment required.
For a better Nigeria, the ACN must join with other parties to merge into the APC.

This is our last best hope. There is nothing else to do. Thank you and God bless this convention and God Bless Nigeria.

[/size]
- The full text of the  speech delivered by the leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the party convention which took place at the Onikan Stadium, Lagos, on April 18, 2013.

http://www.ynaija.com/a-positive-storm-is-brewing-bola-tinubus-rousing-speech-at-the-acn-convention-read/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

30 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
Great speech by a great orator.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by dayokanu(m): 11:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
Awesome speech by Asiwaju Tinubu

Jagaban Borgu

Ekun oko PDP

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
We need to see the video of him speaking. Eko Ile don't attempt to gba oje anyone here. Show us video of the speech and let's hear his thick Oduduwa accent .lol. Did he speak or some one (like Joe Igbokwe) wrote it for him?

14 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by dayokanu(m): 11:11pm On Apr 18, 2013
Anything wrong with an accent?

Everyone speaks a foreign language with an accent

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:14pm On Apr 18, 2013
dayokanu: Anything wrong with an accent?

Everyone speaks a foreign language with an accent

Nothing oh! Just would like to hear the frog-eyed one speak. I can see the writings of Joe Igbokwe. Tinubu is not that an intellectual to string good sentences in words. grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:17pm On Apr 18, 2013
FSU: We need to see the video of him speaking. Eko Ile don't attempt to gba oje anyone here. Show us video of the speech and let's hear his thick Oduduwa accent .lol. Did he speak or some one (like Joe Igbokwe) wrote it for him?

We are talking about issues affecting your country and accent is what you are killing yourself over? How retarded and out of focus can some of you be?

And what's wrong with thick Oduduwa accent? Was that a diss or you are just another dullard with warped cultural awareness and mentality with zero self worth?

51 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

We are talking about issues affecting your country and accent is what you are killing yourself over? How retarded and out of focus can some of you be?

And what's wrong with thick Oduduwa accent? Was that a diss or you are just another dullard with warped cultural awareness and mentality with zero self worth?

Affecting whose country? Do we belong in the same country? How can we belong in the same country and Tinubu and his boy are ''deporting'' fellow countrymen?

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by ektbear: 11:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
thick Oduduwa accents rock

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2013
FSU:

Affecting whose country? Do we belong in the same country?

Trolls are have no sense of identity of course...

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
ekt_bear: thick Oduduwa accents rock

Abi now?
Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:24pm On Apr 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

Abi now?
Who wrote the speech? Joe Igbokwe, right?

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

Trolls are have no sense of identity of course...

How can we belong in the same country and Tinubu and his boy are ''deporting'' fellow countrymen?
Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
FSU:
Who wrote the speech? Joe Igbokwe, right?

Please fucckk off, I don't waste my time on trolls.
Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by FSU: 11:31pm On Apr 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

lol. You want to come here and ride your horse unchallenged? You deport fellow country men and simultaneously claim we are in the same country? What sort of hard-wired 1mbecile are you?

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by redsun(m): 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
More like berlusconi speech.A thief can only impress thieves.

If acn or whatever they call themselves are making out as progressives,they have to disassociate with obvious criminals like tinubu.

The time of politics of tribe and treachery is over,truth can no longer be hidden.

14 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by redsun(m): 11:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
Even though yorubas decides to go their own way tomorrow as a different entity,tinubu will still be far from what a rational yoruba wants.He still can not impress normal people,it doesn't matter way they are family membrrs or not,because his ways are dubious.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 11:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
Back to topic while ignoring the trolls...

I like this part of the speech...

If this is the government’s idea of transformation, I will have none of it. It seems their notion of change is to go from slow motion to no motion at all.

If they want to stand still, that is their right. However, they have no right to force the whole nation to stagnate with them. We have things to accomplish and progress to make for the good of the people.
If they have nothing to offer except the nothing they have been giving us, let’s join hands with others to sweep them aside. so that we can keep pushing through and move this nation upward and forward.

Right on the money...

23 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 18, 2013
*yawns*

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by Nobody: 11:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
Don't know about rousing but the speech aint bad. ACN/APC is likewise guilty as PDP regarding corruption, impositions, looting of state resources, bareface lies, incompetencies e.t.c

Why the convention when the witches & wizards coven have spoken that GEJ will win 2015 presidential election, BUHARI will forever lose and APC merger will implode before the election while OBJ no go fade for naija politics till death. grin grin grin

Anyway I hoped-for a better nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by NeoXVI: 11:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
Eko Ile: Great speech by a great orator.

Lol. Never knew Tinubu was an orator. I guess Obama learnt under his tutelage.
Btw Eko-ile, if your oga needs a freelance speechwriter from a remote location, contact me. My prices are fair grin

On a serious note, they should find a short, simple but inspiring logo and slogan that we can all identify with and also dispose of the broom undecided

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by OAM4J: 11:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
Very nice Speech!

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by PENMIGHT(m): 12:08am On Apr 19, 2013
The message but not the messenger.
Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 12:09am On Apr 19, 2013
PEN_MIGHT: The message but not the messenger.

Makes no sense...

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by tellwisdom: 12:10am On Apr 19, 2013
Eko Ile:

How much these people dey give you??...You have never spoken derogatory about these people ever since i know you to be a loyalist. Does it mean they have no flops i can hear about??

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by funshint(m): 12:13am On Apr 19, 2013
redsun: More like berlusconi speech.A thief can only impress thieves.

If acn or whatever they call themselves are making out as progressives,they have to disassociate with obvious criminals like tinubu.

The time of politics of tribe and treachery is over,truth can no longer be hidden.
Dissociate Tinubu from SW politics?! ARE YOU A LEARNER!!! shocked

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 19, 2013
Is it by talking? We've heard speech upon speeches since the days of Zik and co, yet it translated to nothing. It's time for action instead of speeches.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 19, 2013
PEN_MIGHT: The message but not the messenger.

GBAM

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by 50calibre(m): 12:16am On Apr 19, 2013
When a quack Jew tried to cast out demons just like Paul, the demon asked " Jesus I know, Paul I know, who are you" and the demon descended on the guy and beat him to pulp.

I'd rather listen to a speech by Osama bin laden than tinubu.

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by sagytariusTM1: 12:17am On Apr 19, 2013
The umpire speaks: Eko_Ile 0:9 FSU
#in mortal kombat's voice# Flawless victory :cool
Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 12:22am On Apr 19, 2013
tellwisdom:

How much these people dey give you??...You have never spoken derogatory about these people ever since i know you to be a loyalist. Does it mean they have no flops i can hear about??

You speak against people when you have something against them to speak against.

If you have anything against them or what any of them did wrong to share with me and have me speak against, kindly bring it up and I promise to be fair and judicious, but if you don't have anything, them obviously there is nothing to speak against...

Just like Tinubu, many ognorant people here label him corrupt, they call him a thief, but when you ask them to state exactly what he stole, from where and how much, they stay silent like zombies or run away. Funny enough, the same mentally corrupt people have nothing to say about the rot and corruption we witness everyday with the government in power, but they have so much to say about a man who they not only can not tell us what he did, but a man who's not even a government official and have left public office for years..

Now, you see why I don't take many of the clowns on NL seriously?

12 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention by EkoIle1: 12:31am On Apr 19, 2013
redsun: More like berlusconi speech.A thief can only impress thieves.

Who is the thief?

What was stolen? From where and how much?

I retire from NR based on any credible and verifiable answer/s or evidence from you?

But why bother, I know you don't have anything, it's the same hate, bigotry and tribalism killing you.

You are killing yourself over a an that you can not tell us what he stole, but you are forever silent about your abuja uncles stealing everyday and your useless and incompetent president pardoning ex convicts, international criminal and fugitive.

This is why I clown you all the time, you are a joker never to be taken seriously. I see a joker when I see you coming.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? / 52 Retired Generals Endorse Buhari’s Second Term Bid / Buhari Administration Is Constructing 524 Highway, Bridges Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.