Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala (11601 Views)

For Criticising Aregbesola, Thugs Attack Newspaper Readers At Newsstand / I’ve Received Threats For Criticising Buhari — Sheik Gumi / Boko Haram Spokeman - Nigeria Belongs To ALLAH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by inaluf: 8:14am On Apr 19, 2013
National Emergency Management Agency Public Relations Officer, Yushau Shuaibu, has been removed from office for reportedly publishing an article that was critical of the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Shuaibu’s removal, it was gathered, took place last Thursday.

Besides, there are fears that he might face further sanction from the authorities for daring to raise issues on Okonjo-Iweala’s alleged involvement in the appointment of her relatives to top positions.

Shuaibu in a newspaper article had said, “Dr. Okonjo-Iweala should also note that blatant disregard for the sensitivities and sensibilities of others while arrogantly promoting only people from her tribe may expose them to hatred with potentially explosive consequences such as those experienced in the 1960s when most federal positions were occupied by a particular tribal group.

“For those of us who still respect the Minister of Finance and Economic Development, we strongly believe she should dissociate herself from current allegations of ‘biafranisation’ of top public offices in Nigeria. We are in democratic government where policy issues should not be done in dictatorial manner of ‘we-are-now-in-power’.”

Our correspondents gathered that Okonjo-Iweala had complained about the article to Vice-President Namadi Sambo, who conveyed the minister’s dissatisfaction to the NEMA Director-General, Alhaji Mohammed Sani-Sidi.

It was learnt on Thursday that the finance minister called Shuaibu and reprimanded the NEMA image-maker over the article and even insisted that he should write a rebuttal in some dailies.

A source said, “Okonjo-Iweala was not satisfied with Shuaibu’s explanation that the article was not sponsored and she insisted that he should write a rebuttal. Shuaibu was subsequently removed from his position through a letter last week.”
When contacted, the former NEMA spokesman confirmed his removal, but declined further comments.

Meanwhile, the minister, who spoke through her Senior Special Assistant, Communication, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, said, “I have seen several reports, especially online, which claimed that the Finance Minister is using her power to oppress Mr. Yushau Shuiabu. That is false and unfair. The minister is the one oppressed here.

“Mr. Shuaibu accused her of pursuing an ethnic agenda. But those he mentioned as beneficiaries of the so-called agenda are people who were already in office before she returned as minister.

“So she is the victim of a serial campaign based on lies sponsored by people, who are angry that due process rather than politics is being upheld in the recruitment of a new Chair for Federal Inland Revenue Service.

“But we believe that every part of this country has brilliant people. who have what it takes to go through a competitive process and perform well at any level. No part of Nigeria has a monopoly of capable people. Our history confirms so.
“To invoke the tragic events of 1966 based on these lies so flippantly as he did in the article is indeed unfortunate. I won’t say more than that.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/nema-spokesman-loses-position-for-criticising-okonjo-iweala/
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by inaluf: 8:15am On Apr 19, 2013
We are watching.
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 19, 2013
Those people from that region are indeed doing well.

5 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by inaluf: 8:38am On Apr 19, 2013
Keneking: Those people from that region are indeed doing well.

Which region?
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by duke4ever: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2013
So much hatred in this nation. Even amidst righting the wrong.

1 Like

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Willy7(m): 9:36am On Apr 19, 2013
They started with d Aviation minister,it didnt work,they moved over to Chief of Army staff,their daftness was laid bare,now they have switched over to Finance minster,they will also be put to shame where they belong.Bunch of cowards and senseless propagandists.Though i have no love for this administration but then all this cow brains that see themselves as born to rule should just let sensible Nigerians be.If they know so much,why is Nigeria still like this after so many years of their piloting d affairs of the Nation?Or did they just discovered their developmental zeal or progressive brains?Pls lets allow this people to do their works,and by 2015 we have a choice to kick them out.We can criticize d govt constructively,not those outdated ethnic jagons often used by failures and disgruntled elements.Who uses what happened in the 60's to judge what will happen in 2013?Some people are still living in d past,and they intend ruling a 21st century people?If what happened in d 60's should repeat itself,Nigeria will be a desert,no ethnic group will survive it,no matter ur military strength and capabilities.As for me,his sack is on point.

43 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by lacasa: 9:46am On Apr 19, 2013
Willy7: They started with d Aviation minister,it didnt work,they moved over to Chief of Army staff,their daftness was laid bare,now they have switched over to Finance minster,they will also be put to shame where they belong.Bunch of cowards and senseless propagandists.Though i have no love for this administration but then all this cow brains that see themselves as born to rule should just let sensible Nigerians be.If they know so much,why is Nigeria still like this after so many years of their piloting d affairs of the Nation?Or did they just discovered their developmental zeal or progressive brains?Pls lets allow this people to do their works,and by 2015 we have a choice to kick them out.We can criticize d govt constructively,not those outdated ethnic jagons often used by failures and disgruntled elements.Who uses what happened in the 60's to judge what will happen in 2013?Some people are still living in d past,and they intend ruling a 21st century people?If what happened in d 60's should repeat itself,Nigeria will be a desert,no ethnic group will survive it,no matter ur military strength and capabilities.As for me,his sack is on point.

Yeea, and the Immigration woman dat was dismissed some months back is from which Tribe?

And is it not the same offence she was dismissed for?

Aabeeg, keep shut!

18 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by inaluf: 9:52am On Apr 19, 2013
Willy7: They started with d Aviation minister,it didnt work,they moved over to Chief of Army staff,their daftness was laid bare,now they have switched over to Finance minster,they will also be put to shame where they belong.Bunch of cowards and senseless propagandists.Though i have no love for this administration but then all this cow brains that see themselves as born to rule should just let sensible Nigerians be.If they know so much,why is Nigeria still like this after so many years of their piloting d affairs of the Nation?Or did they just discovered their developmental zeal or progressive brains?Pls lets allow this people to do their works,and by 2015 we have a choice to kick them out.We can criticize d govt constructively,not those outdated ethnic jagons often used by failures and disgruntled elements.Who uses what happened in the 60's to judge what will happen in 2013?Some people are still living in d past,and they intend ruling a 21st century people?If what happened in d 60's should repeat itself,Nigeria will be a desert,no ethnic group will survive it,no matter ur military strength and capabilities.As for me,his sack is on point.

You need to have your lips sealed.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by dridowu: 10:00am On Apr 19, 2013
U critize dm, u get relieve of ur job, u praise them , u get promoted

3 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Okijajuju1(m): 10:01am On Apr 19, 2013
Beware of Gossip journalism..

Everything in that article is purely speculative and seems to only be driven more towards tarnishing the Image of President Goodluck Jonathan & Madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

7 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by DJDOLA(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2013
Ok we don hear
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Apr 19, 2013
Okija_juju: Beware of Gossip journalism..

Everything in that article is purely speculative and seems to only be driven more towards tarnishing the Image of President Goodluck Jonathan & Madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

That's exactly what came to bare as soon as i read the news article. Which kain amebo journalism be this sef. This is the part that really caught my eye:

Our correspondents gathered that Okonjo-Iweala had complained about the article to Vice-President Namadi Sambo, who conveyed the minister’s dissatisfaction to the NEMA Director-General, Alhaji Mohammed Sani-Sidi.

Were they there when Okonjo Iweala was complaining to Sambo or did the latter organize a public complaint to Sambo or what? Whoever wrote this news article deserves to be rounded up and locked up.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 19, 2013
[b]HATE MY TRIBE DIE A MISERABLE DEATH. IGBO WU OTU

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by cindyrella(f): 10:06am On Apr 19, 2013
DJDOLA: Ok we don hear

My thoughts exactly!
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 19, 2013
Nonsense. Even if it is the truth is it not the way it has been in Nigeria? The north always places their own people in power not minding the level of their illiteracy and the mistakes that they made are what Nigeria is suffering today.

If someone is qualified simply place them in the area they are qualified for is simple as ABCD.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 19, 2013
?D
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by delegiwa(m): 10:13am On Apr 19, 2013
All these is because there is so much money around. Make government accountable for every penny it spends and see if all these rubbish about a particular people being at the helm of affairs die a natural death. Whatever happened to meriting a job and not because you are from a tribe or know some Oga @ the top!

If a man deserves a post then by jove give him/her the job. I don't care if you are from Birnin Kebbi or Umuapu!

Anyways, all these will be history as soon as feedeefee is out...
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 19, 2013
shocked habaaaaa na wa o just like that?...... shocked
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by johndwayy(m): 10:14am On Apr 19, 2013
I'm nt trying 2 justify wot d nema spokesperson did, bt why wud he be relived of his duties? na wa for 9ja lipsrsealed
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by kamez(m): 10:14am On Apr 19, 2013
HMmmmmm so much for freedom of speech in naija

1 Like

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Chillypelly(m): 10:15am On Apr 19, 2013
@Okija juju Beer palour journalism i call it. These born to rule virgin hunters should let that woman be afterall she is not a virgin. I expect them to assemble a crack team comprising of egg heads and best brains from the north to help to revive the battered economy instead of engaging the minister in fruitless battles.
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by angelTI(f): 10:17am On Apr 19, 2013
So much for 'freedom of speech' Mtschewwwww
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by dejust(m): 10:18am On Apr 19, 2013
He has blown the trumpet of evil wind and now he is carried away by that. What has ministry of finance got with NEMA spokesman in common.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by IKdImpeccable(m): 10:19am On Apr 19, 2013
me i de laf!
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by mekaboy(m): 10:21am On Apr 19, 2013
The north is bitter, and are use to placing unqualified and uneducated people in high positions in Nigeria. Once gudluck took over and created the compete and win atmosphere they have been losing lots of positions.

Next time he wants to make such statements that cld lead to ethnic unrest, he should back it up with facts.

Did he complain about farouk, or buhari who forged university certificate?

1 Like

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by duality(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2013
This should serve as a deterrent. I don't subscribe to " If its not me or my person, then its wrong" This media liberty in Nigeria, If not curtailed may drive the nation to anarchy. Every attempt to right the wrongs in this country, has always raised ethnic dust. Soon, when you arrest a criminal some persons will run to the media and say it is only my people that is being arrested.

4 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by mekaboy(m): 10:30am On Apr 19, 2013
They blame FG for poverty in the north, blame FG for unemployment in the north,Blame FG for lack of education in the north simply because the president is not from the north.

The same people take up arms now and say no to education killing waec students, tomorow if they don't produce enough educated and qualified to take positions in Nigeria they blame Ngozi iweala.

And for their information, presidency will no longer be a zoning matter. They shld prepare for the monkey and baboon fight.

9 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by PHIPEX(m): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2013
Am not a civil servant but I know that it's an offence for a civil servant to criticise the government of the day let alone a spokesman of a Federal government Agency. It shows how deep his hatred has gone to overlook his sensitive position and make such an unfounded allegation against the government he swore to serve.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by Vincent41(m): 10:35am On Apr 19, 2013
inaluf: National Emergency Management Agency Public Relations Officer, Yushau Shuaibu, has been removed from office for reportedly publishing an article that was critical of the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Shuaibu’s removal, it was gathered, took place last Thursday.

Besides, there are fears that he might face further sanction from the authorities for daring to raise issues on Okonjo-Iweala’s alleged involvement in the appointment of her relatives to top positions.

Shuaibu in a newspaper article had said, “Dr. Okonjo-Iweala should also note that blatant disregard for the sensitivities and sensibilities of others while arrogantly promoting only people from her tribe may expose them to hatred with potentially explosive consequences such as those experienced in the 1960s when most federal positions were occupied by a particular tribal group.

“For those of us who still respect the Minister of Finance and Economic Development, we strongly believe she should dissociate herself from current allegations of ‘biafranisation’ of top public offices in Nigeria. We are in democratic government where policy issues should not be done in dictatorial manner of ‘we-are-now-in-power’.”

It was learnt on Thursday that the finance minister called Shuaibu and reprimanded the NEMA image-maker over the article and even insisted that he should write a rebuttal in some dailies.

A source said, “Okonjo-Iweala was not satisfied with Shuaibu’s explanation that the article was not sponsored and she insisted that he should write a rebuttal. Shuaibu was subsequently removed from his position through a letter last week.”
When contacted, the former NEMA spokesman confirmed his removal, but declined further comments.

Meanwhile, the minister, who spoke through her Senior Special Assistant, Communication, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, said, “I have seen several reports, especially online, which claimed that the Finance Minister is using her power to oppress Mr. Yushau Shuiabu. That is false and unfair. The minister is the one oppressed here.

“Mr. Shuaibu accused her of pursuing an ethnic agenda. But those he mentioned as beneficiaries of the so-called agenda are people who were already in office before she returned as minister.

“So she is the victim of a serial campaign based on lies sponsored by people, who are angry that due process rather than politics is being upheld in the recruitment of a new Chair for Federal Inland Revenue Service.

“But we believe that every part of this country has brilliant people. who have what it takes to go through a competitive process and perform well at any level. No part of Nigeria has a monopoly of capable people. Our history confirms so.
“To invoke the tragic events of 1966 based on these lies so flippantly as he did in the article is indeed unfortunate. I won’t say more than that.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/nema-spokesman-loses-position-for-criticising-okonjo-iweala/

hahahahah...make una fight na....dats what am waiteing for...ndi ara Nigeria
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by miqos02(m): 10:35am On Apr 19, 2013
interesting
Re: NEMA Spokeman Loses Position For Criticising Okonjo-Iweala by TwinTiger: 10:44am On Apr 19, 2013
Its unfortunate some ppl are just realizing d new Nig reform.As ur trying 2 ismlamize Nig,we are climbing top offices.1 foolish southerner is better than 10 ?wise northerners.GEJ is a fool no doubt but he must be there till 2019"hug ur transformer"Who is d stupid Shuaibu dt is critizing Aunty NGoo?can he pass a course in Harvard?If like let's rewind 1966,we ll send all d abokis to where they belong(Libya,Egypt,Tunishia'morocco)to continue there Jihad.umuewu.we have d millitary,go NDA or 1 Div,Jaji Kaduna etc,nah we be "Oga on top".How many northerner are GOC in d Army today?they called super Eagles"Biafran team but immediately they clifted trophy,they became Nig super eagle.infact 2015,Igbo man ll contest Guber in Kano and nothing ll happen BC we are d best.u were born to rule BA? We are swagger to rule.If shuaibu wasn't sacked,Sambo would hv lost his job by now,u think he not afraid? Ndiara!Thunder go fire una.Try us we ll tell u we are Isreali decendants.IGBO KWE NU!

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Northern Youths In Kano React To Clash In South-East (Photos) / No Rational Nigerian Will Vote For APC, PDP In 2019 - Omoyele Sowore / "Avoid Me, Davido" Buhari Fights Davido Over His Ridiculing Comment (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.