Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

How Do I Build An Intranet - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Build An Intranet (6048 Views)

How Do I Build A Student Portal Website? / If I Build A Topnotch Forum, I'll Pay For The Hosting, I Need Forum Mangers / Can You Create A Good Intranet Portal Using Dotnet Or Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Build An Intranet by xdos(m): 7:27pm On Apr 09, 2008
Please how do I build an intranet web based system?
What are the tools and softwares needed to build intranet
What window version is good for it?

How do I access sites in my local webserver (Xampp) from other systems on same LAN?
Do I need software(s) to do that? if yes what software?

Please NL members assist me urgently, Thanks
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by pasuma(m): 2:10pm On Apr 10, 2008
All you need is a software.(i cant really recollect the name of a free one i used long ago) and with little networking experience you can set it up and thats all.
i'll help you contact a friend who is deep into open source.
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by olud64: 2:27pm On Apr 10, 2008
Hey xdos

I would not say you need any special software to build an intranet. An intranet is basically a website set up and hosted within a network and is only accessible to users within that network. There is a lot of info on the net and there are also proprietary templates, free and paid for that you can access easily.

Are you knowledgeable about serverside scripting eg php, c#, vb.net etc
databases? mysql, sql server etc
web servers, iis, apache etc?

you will need them!
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by xdos(m): 6:22pm On Apr 10, 2008
Olud64 and Pasuma, I wanna say a very big thanks to both of you,

I run XAMPP on a networked system so what sort of config do I need to do to enable other systems on same network access them?
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by mambenanje(m): 6:49pm On Apr 10, 2008
well you already have the intranet site running but now its only on one computer,
This is what you have to do next
On the computer running Xamp installation set a static IP address and on every computer in that network if you type that ip address on the browser address bar (IE or FF) you will be able to navigate all the websites hosted in your XAMPP system.
So learn how to assign a static IP address to the Xampp server ( Apache server ) in that network and you xxamp site will be accessed using that IP as domain name and you can use Apache virtual domain creation to map that IP to a normal domain name like myintranet.com or so
good luck
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by olud64: 11:36am On Apr 11, 2008
With all due respect to the last poster, you dont have an intranet site running, what you have on an xampp instalation are the basic tools to create and run an intranet site ie Apache, MySQL, PHP & PEAR, Perl, ProFTPD, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, GD, Freetype2, libjpeg, libpng, gdbm, zlib, expat, Sablotron, libxml, Ming, Webalizer, pdf class, ncurses, mod_perl, FreeTDS, gettext, mcrypt, mhash, eAccelerator, SQLite and IMAP C-Client.

You now need to put your site together or basically download a cms or intranet system from the web , in this case, built with PHP,. Good examples are systems like JOOMLA, PHPNUKE etc, once you have set this up on your web server, you can then follow the steps quoted by the last poster

Good Luck!
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by kazey(m): 1:55pm On Apr 11, 2008
Nobody talks about router ports configuration? Interesting
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by sbucareer(f): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2008

The only visible difference between internet and intranet is the accessibility. However, to setup an intranet you will need to follow the instructions of setting up a webserver.

1. Set up a webserver (Tomcat, XAMP, IIS, APache etc.)
2. Determine communication protocol (Star network, Mesh network or etc.)
3. If you are using Java as a scripting language, configure it to talk to your RDBMS or get someone with RDBMS experience to help your design your information infrastructure.
4. If you are using MS as your platform, configure the HOST file to point to your prefer hostname i.e ice-creamandbradly.com

127.0.0.1 ice-creambradly.com

Note, do not modify and other line and no carriage return after your modification. Save the file and close.  Make sure that you configure the rest of the workstation to point to the host machine by editing the HOST file and pointing 127.0.0.1 to the host name i.e.

127.0.0.1 168.23.4.1

Save all the workstation HOST file and exit. When you successfully configure your webserver to runn and web application like java or .Net, the rest of the workstation can access the web portal.

Note, you do NOT need to register ice-creambradly.com It is a fictitious name for your intranet.

I hope this helps.

Note
HOST file is in c:\windows\system32\host

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by mezeadichie: 10:34am On Apr 15, 2016
Hi friend, I will advise you not to reinvent the wheel except you have the full resources in developing the intranet software. I can provide you the assistance you need in setting up an intranet software. We have a functional Intranet Software called Precurio . You can reach me via this mobile number +234 803 657 3934. We have deployed this for lots of small and medium businesses. You can visit our website to try a free demo. http://www.precurio.com/precurio-intranet-demo/
Re: How Do I Build An Intranet by savvyng: 5:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
old
grin

(1) (Reply)

Google's "Get Nigerian Businesses Online": Another Manoeuvre? / Igbos Vs Hausa / How Do I Transfer Money In My Payeer And Payza Acct To My Nigerian Bank Acct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.