Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship (2378 Views)

American News Media Huffington Post-biafra Nationhood: Unfinished Decolonization / My Support For PMB: Beyond Partisanship And Politics! / PHOTO: 1940 Mugshot Of 'criminal Lesbian' In USA, When Homosexuality Was A Crime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 6:03pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

I do not believe in the school of thought which states disintegration could only be achieved through war. Countries such as USSR and Czechoslovakia did not engage in a war before breaking up. I have been in a war already during an attempt to disintegrate Nigeria. As it stands now, I am doing my best to keep the desire to disintegrate Nigeria alertly alive among my people.

Was it not my negative contribution get you twisted a little while ago?

You have to be realistic sometimes and I seriously think you aint realistic right now. There is no way Nigeria will disintegrate after a breakfast meeting or tea party. The only way Nigeria will disintegrate after a dialogue us if something happens out of the blues that will change the present equation of the country. For example, if oil is discovered in the North or something of that nature happens. It will never happen the way you are dreaming it would. I am simply being realistic. If I can, i might start a war, just to disintegrate Nigeria, but I am not in that position to do that now. Maybe the militants will do that someday, but for now, we have to live with the reality on the ground
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Eziachi: 6:05pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

If that is your solution, why not start a war. My position is you should do something, even if it is termed negative. You should act. Not just talk. Thats my take
What is your definition of doing something? Is it just starting a war and war against who?
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 6:12pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi:
What is your definition of doing something? Is it just starting a war and war against who?

In life, you have to keep moving. You cant just stand on the sidelines and claim your job is to critic. That is lame and lazy. Talk is cheap. That is my take

No matter how some people criticize Ojukwu, I will always appalud him as someone who acted. We can argue all day if he was right or wrong, but a man who acted is far better than one who does nothing. I will continue to respect militants and other groups whether they succeed or not. The problem with BH is that they really have no genuine or reasonable cause and they attack innocents which makes no sense.

For me, considering the present state of Nigeria, doing something is joining hands together to make things better for ourselves. I have my own political inclinations, but I will support anything that will make life better for all of us, not try to pull the country down just because I want my personal agenda to fly.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 6:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

You have to be realistic sometimes and I seriously think you aint realistic right now. There is no way Nigeria will disintegrate after a breakfast meeting or tea party. The only way Nigeria will disintegrate after a dialogue us if something happens out of the blues that will change the present equation of the country. For example, if oil is discovered in the North or something of that nature happens. It will never happen the way you are dreaming it would. I am simply being realistic. If I can, i might start a war, just to disintegrate Nigeria, but I am not in that position to do that now. Maybe the militants will do that someday, but for now, we have to live with the reality on the ground

Pope

Are you insinuating that the goofy One-Nigeria is all about crude oil? I can safely conclude from your post there is no humanistic measure or cultural tie among the inhabitants of Nigeria that could foster the kind patriotism experienced in USA. If you comprehend the realities of Nigeria, one wonders why you have tempted to juxtapose the jungle called Nigeria with a nation such as USA when talking of lessons about nationhood.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 6:37pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

Pope

Are you insinuating that the goofy One-Nigeria is all about crude oil? I can safely conclude from your post there is no humomanistic measure or cultural tie among the inhabitants of Nigeria that could foster the kind patriotism experienced in USA. If you comprehend the realities of Nigeria, one wonders why you have tempted to juxtapose the jungle called Nigeria with a nation such as USA when talking of lessons about nationhood.

The last time I checked, Nigeria was categorized under underdeveloped countries. USA was once worse than Nigeria you know. It is a process. The problem is many of you are not willing to participate in the process. You are demainding for the end result whilst shying away from the process. Who is going to deliver that end result to you? Some of you exhibit a combination of laziness and selfishness; no insult intended. No one denies the problems of Nigeria. What we ask is for solutions and action from every Nigerian. Not this sectional and partisan bickering.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by dayokanu(m): 6:52pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi: Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.

The FBI, state and local police went to work straight with the aid of the public. While in your own case, they changes on who the sponsor of the terror is on a daily basis, mainly their political opponents, while the masses are being murdered. The masses cannot aid the security agencies because they are their enemy number one.

Obama allowed the security agencies to do their job, while they brief him daily. In your own case, even when the dust of the Abuja bombing is yet settled, Jonathan announced that MEND wasn't responsible it. In that case, where do you expect the security agencies to go from there, after such a pronouncement?

In the United State, the security of the masses is number one priority, in your own case their security is at the bottom of the list.

You don't compare a mango to a cassava, as we always rip what we invest. And by the way, Nigeria is not a nation, simply an enterprise.

OP, Read this post again and again before you compare Nigerian govt with US govt.

Did it take Obama 2 years to visit Boston? Retardeen Jonathan visited Borno 2yrs after Boko hamaram started

Did Obama quickly exonerate Black Panthers before the dust settled? GEJ exonerated MEND before dust settled

Did Obama tell us Mitt Romney is the sponsor? Retardeen Jonathan has labelled every opponent as Boko Haram sponsor

Almost 3 yrs ago they came on TV to tell us Dokpesi and IBB were the planners of October 1 bomb, What has happened to those famous text Messages "Na we do am", "Come IBB campaign office make I yarn you", " Dokpesi wey our balance"

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 6:56pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

The last time I checked, Nigeria was categorized under underdeveloped countries. USA was once worse than Nigeria you know. It is a process. The problem is many of you are not willing to participate in the process. You are demainding for the end result whilst shying away from the process. Who is going to deliver that end result to you? Some of you exhibit a combination of laziness and selfishness; no insult intended. No one denied the problems of Nigeria. What we ask is for solutions and action from every Nigeria. Not this sectional and partisan bickering.

Pope

Of course, the geographical expression called Nigeria is classified as “developing country”. How long shall it remain developing? It was not long ago that few patriotic Nigerians tried to stage fearless actions and their actions were quickly painted as ethnic agenda. Today, the same thing is happening again.

It is easy to write about the symptoms but root causes. The combinations of laziness and selfishness as you have alluded in your post have a root cause.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 7:01pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

Pope

Of course, the geographical expression called Nigeria is classified as “developing country”. How long shall it remain developing? It was not long ago that few patriotic Nigerians tried to stage fearless actions and their actions were quickly painted as ethnic agenda. Today, the same thing is happening again.

It is easy to write about the symptoms but root causes. The combinations of laziness and selfishness as you have alluded in your post have a root cause.

And what in your opinion is the root cause if I may ask?
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Tribal bias!!!! I do not think you are that dumb not to comprehend. Unless you have decided to be deceitful like most Nigerians, you should know the answer to your question. Nigeria shall never become developed country as long as all the ethnic nationalities are housed under the same entity as configured today.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 7:19pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

Tribalism!!!! I do not think you are that dumb not to comprehend. Unless you have decided to be deceitful like most Nigerians, you should know the answer to your question. Nigeria shall never become developed country as long as all the ethnic nationalities are housed under the same entity as configured today.

I completely agree and that is the point of this thread. I was thinking, like many ignorant people on this forum, you will say corruption. I have always argued that corruption itself is a result, not the root cause. A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. There will always be corruption as long as there is disunity and division
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 7:30pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

I completely agree and that is the point of this thread. I was thinking, like many ignorant people on this forum, you will say corruption. I have always argued that corruption itself is a result, not the root cause. A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. There will always be corruption as long as there is disunity and division

The fact remains that those mischievous Nigerians who rode on the back of tribal bias and nepotism to the apex of power in Nigeria would want the country to continue in this form because it benefits them. Nigeria is worse than a divided kingdom. It is so divided that the inhabitants are completely delusional and confused.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by nku5: 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2013
OP has a point. Though I believe that GEJ has the bigger lesson to learn.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by funnyx(m): 8:37pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi:

Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.

The FBI, state and local police went to work straight with the aid of the public. While in your own case, they changes on who the sponsor of the terror is on a daily basis, mainly their political opponents, while the masses are being murdered. The masses cannot aid the security agencies because they are their enemy number one.

Obama allowed the security agencies to do their job, while they brief him daily. In your own case, even when the dust of the Abuja bombing is yet settled, Jonathan announced that MEND wasn't responsible it. In that case, where do you expect the security agencies to go from there, after such a pronouncement?

In the United State, the security of the masses is number one priority, in your own case their security is at the bottom of the list.

You don't compare a mango to a cassava, as we always rip what we invest. And by the way, Nigeria is not a nation, simply an enterprise.

10 million likes
Bros una too much
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Eziachi: 10:38pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

In life, you have to keep moving. You cant just stand on the sidelines and claim your job is to critic. That is lame and lazy. Talk is cheap. That is my take

No matter how some people criticize Ojukwu, I will always appalud him as someone who acted. We can argue all day if he was right or wrong, but a man who acted is far better than one who does nothing. I will continue to respect militants and other groups whether they succeed or not. The problem with BH is that they really have no genuine or reasonable cause and they attack innocents which makes no sense.

For me, considering the present state of Nigeria, doing something is joining hands together to make things better for ourselves. I have my own political inclinations, but I will support anything that will make life better for all of us, not try to pull the country down just because I want my personal agenda to fly.
So what have you done than to beat drum for Jonathan and his inept govt? As a 17 year old, I joined and fought for Biafra freedom along with my 3 brothers, father and 3 uncles. My two brothers and one uncle didn't return home and you're busy sitting in front of your computer talking about joining hands. You think I am just a critic or I am lazy?
Ojukwu acted because people like me gave him our practical support, not sitting by the computer singing praise of rogues called politicians. What exactly do you know about real life?

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by funnyx(m): 11:20pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi:
So what have you done than to beat drum for Jonathan and his inept govt? As a 17 year old, I joined and fought for Biafra freedom along with my 3 brothers, father and 3 uncles. My two brothers and one uncle didn't return home and you're busy sitting in front of your computer talking about joining hands. You think I am just a critic or I am lazy?
Ojukwu acted because people like me gave him our practical support, not sitting by the computer singing praise of rogues called politicians. What exactly do you know about real life?

OMG shocked you sacrificed this much? Really the anonymity of this forum means you don't really know much about people one interacts with. I like your patriotism, with more people like you surely this country can be great again.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 11:49pm On Apr 19, 2013
We have a Civil War vet on Nairaland? shocked
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by adconline(m): 12:06am On Apr 20, 2013
Eziachi:

Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.

because there is no commonality that brings us together in Naija. Injustice and inhumane treatment bring America together. Nobody believes in Naija. Politicians keep their loot overseas, American/British accents rule over naija airwaves, folks kill over EPL, politicians and the rich are flown abroad for medical treatment.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by CyberG: 1:48am On Apr 20, 2013
Any thread with dende, afam4eva, lastpope, etc can only have one theme! This is a thread that should be ignored for the calibre of people there! Exceptions of course Eziachi in this particular post, TexasGirl, etc
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 9:53am On Apr 20, 2013
Eziachi:

You are talking nonsense! Anybody can just come to a faceless forum and post nonsense and that is exactly what you are doing right now. You speak like there is a vacuum in life. You know absolutely jack about social systems. Go and read a good history book about the kingdoms of the world and the methamorphsis of societies.

Not every one will fall for this your cheap post. I have told you already, if you believe a war will solve it, start one, instead of whinning like a lady on a faceless forum and claiming you fought by the side of aldof hitler or napolean bonapat!

We are here to debate about Nigeria and collectively proffer solutions to either move it forward or bring it to a close. Not beat out lean cyber chest hanging on an anonymous moniker. You need some more social education. You sound bitter and petty! Shift go one side joor!
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 10:26am On Apr 20, 2013
thelastPope:

Hey Pope, you've dribbled into my 18, and I can give three irrefutable HISTORICAL and VERIFIABLE FACTS. But watch out for the beneficiaries of this geographical expression. Pope, you also seem as over-educated and naive as C Nzeogwu.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 10:29am On Apr 20, 2013
HNosegbe: We have a Civil War vet on Nairaland? shocked
Many.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 11:05am On Apr 20, 2013
thelastPope:

Leave out the rhetoric and discuss reality.
REALITY is what Dede 1 is saying. PSEUDO-NATION simply means false, or just pretending. Pope can you recall that fateful day, when Adisa Akinloye, Anthony Enahoro, et al, CROSSED THAT CARPET? Brilliant, and extra.ordinarily brilliant Adegoke Adelabu was watching. That was the day the Nigerian Dream was aborted. On October 1, 1960, Nigeria was born, DOA, dead on arrival. Over-educated kids like the NL pontiff would throw in over-zealous scientific skills, and presume 'resuscitation'. Well, things have been growing from bad to worse.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 11:19am On Apr 20, 2013
thelastPope:

You are talking nonsense!

He is talking a lot of sense. You better learn from HISTORY, or you make the same presumptions of 'ONE NAJERIA', that very brilliant people made in 1960s, and the whole thing landed in the hands Buhari, Babangida, and Abacha. Long live ONE NAJERIA.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 12:20pm On Apr 20, 2013
ckkris:
He is talking a lot of sense. You better learn from HISTORY, or you make the same presumptions of 'ONE NAJERIA', that very brilliant people made in 1960s, and the whole thing landed in the hands Buhari, Babangida, and Abacha. Long live ONE NAJERIA.

Can you show me anywhere I preached One Nigeria? Did I tell you I believe in one Nigeria? What I am simply saying is talk is cheap. Ranting from morning till sunset on a faceless forum will achieve nothing. I respect what people like Uwazurike are doing on the ground and I will support them anyday. But in the mean time, we still have to be able to wake up in the morning and sleep at night. If I see an opportunity to end this union right now, I will take it without even thinking twice. But one thing is certain, you are not going to get a separation after a tea party or breakfast meeting. The factors on the ground will not support that. Except, like I said before, the north suddenly discoveres oil, then they will go by themselves. The only other option is outright chaos and war! That is the reality!
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by delvinmaya(m): 12:21pm On Apr 20, 2013
Eziachi:
This has got to be the most stupid post ever in the history of forums. Do you really have to stoop so low to fabrications? Damn man. You need to get a grip and get a life.
And as much as most of you will argue that Nigeria is no nation, I laugh at you in Swahili. Truth is your arguments and thoughts don't go beyond this forum. Nigeria has been before you were born and will be after you are long gone. Only posterit can judge Nigeria, not your deluded fallacies. Funny thing is you all got monikers and hide behind it. The day Nairaland servers crashes, that's the day you lose your identities (hoping that in such eventuality, Seun will not have your details backed up). Deluded people. And for your information, the US is as diverse as Nigeria, when you talk about the homogeneous heterogeneous people living there. So shut your trap and ask what you can do for your country to make it great
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 12:29pm On Apr 20, 2013
Just do as Awolowo did, and reap enormous benefits. Please tell me who is the most popular political role model in Nigeria. Its working. TRIBALISM CONTINUA.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Afam4eva(m): 12:38pm On Apr 20, 2013
delvinmaya:
This has got to be the most stupid post ever in the history of forums. Do you really have to stoop so low to fabrications? Damn man. You need to get a grip and get a life.
And as much as most of you will argue that Nigeria is no nation, I laugh at you in Swahili. Truth is your arguments and thoughts don't go beyond this forum. Nigeria has been before you were born and will be after you are long gone. Only posterit can judge Nigeria, not your deluded fallacies. Funny thing is you all got monikers and hide behind it. The day Nairaland servers crashes, that's the day you lose your identities (hoping that in such eventuality, Seun will not have your details backed up). Deluded people. And for your information, the US is as diverse as Nigeria, when you talk about the homogeneous heterogeneous people living there. So shut your trap and ask what you can do for your country to make it great
Dude, show some respect. Eziachi is one of the respectable members of this forum and his words are wisdom. If you don't agree with him then counter his arguments without throwing insults.

The diversity of the US is different from that of Nigeria. In Nigeria, there are ethnic groups who speak different languages and sub-ethnic groups who speak different dialects of different languages. In America, everyone speaks English and know no other language except for the immigrant. So, pls don't compare both countries.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by ckkris: 1:13pm On Apr 20, 2013
Afam4eva:

The diversity of the US is different from that of Nigeria.
I just sympathise with over-educated but politically naive, like C Nzeogwu. The presumptions of 1960s must not be repeated. If na scatter, SCATTER the geography expression, anyhow. If na TRIBALISM, ha ha, who no get tribe? If na to chop fuel subsidy, stay without electric light, import fake generators, better. Oh, the main the main one wey sweet pass, OMG, na to CHOP pension moni. This Najeria sweet no be small. Na those wey dey oyinboland de enjoy 'the good life' na dem de worry persin for this Nairaland. Anyways, dem know say kidnappers don form association at Nsukka, plus get sharp lawyers wey go de bail dem. And amnesty dey, should in case they commit too much to kill persins. Long live ONE NAJERIA.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by delvinmaya(m): 1:14pm On Apr 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
Dude, show some respect. Eziachi is one of the respectable members of this forum and his words are wisdom. If you don't agree with him then counter his arguments without throwing insults.

The diversity of the US is different from that of Nigeria. In Nigeria, there are ethnic groups who speak different languages and sub-ethnic groups who speak different dialects of different languages. In America, everyone speaks English and know no other language except for the immigrant. So, pls don't compare both countries.

If as you say he is respectable, then he should behave so, not act like he is doing. Your being respectable hinges on so many things. And if his words were wisdom, I don't see how they affect positively his argument so far. Also me asking him to get a life is not an insult but a call for him to face reality. And Afam, shows your little knowledge of the US. English is their lingua franca, but you have the red indians, the jews,the irish, the french, the hispanic community etc all citizens of the US. As it is, the land belongs to the red indians and yet they have been victimized most.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Apr 20, 2013
delvinmaya:

If as you say he is respectable, then he should behave so, not act like he is doing. Your being respectable hinges on so many things. And if his words were wisdom, I don't see how they affect positively his argument so far. Also me asking him to get a life is not an insult but a call for him to face reality. And Afam, shows your little knowledge of the US. English is their lingua franca, but you have the red indians, the jews,the irish, the french, the hispanic community etc all citizens of the US. As it is, the land belongs to the red indians and yet they have been victimized most.
Apart from maybe the Hispanics, how many of those people can speak their various languages? It's not just about calling yourself a Jewish, German or Irish American, it's about being able to speak the language. In Nigeria, most of us speak our languages.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by nuclearboy(m): 1:43pm On Apr 20, 2013
I am sad that Eziachi belongs to the same forum as some people here and has just the same posting rights and benefits!

When wisdom and good sense speaks, there should be a law compelling idiocy to shut it!

Sadly, this same manner of rubbish is what makes the best of our society keep quiet in the face of such as have littered this thread in the belief that typing is synonymous with good sense
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 2:07pm On Apr 20, 2013
delvinmaya:

From the above post, it is safe to conclude the poster has written like a third grader who was fed with subliminal and feel-happy history of USA. USA’s so-called diversity is only real to a fool. USA is English nation and English culture and ways of life hold supreme.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

You Want To Meet With Atiku Abubakar ? Ok This Is Your Chance. / Drug Baron Can’t Be My Party Leader – Obasanjo To PDP / Breaking News Tambuwal’s Defection: PDP Challenges Court’s Jurisdiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.