Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,147 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Some Really Cool Optical Illusions - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Some Really Cool Optical Illusions (29943 Views)

Another Look At Optical Illusions (can You Spot The Faces) / MEANING OF ILLUSION (A THREAD FOR OPTICAL ILLUSIONS) / New Nairaland Wallpaper (really Cool !) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by sweetroses(f): 8:26pm On Apr 19, 2013

At first this one may be hard to see, but if you begin to scan back and forth across the image you will notice that the squares in your periphery begin to rotate. As soon as your eyes stop moving, however, rotation will cease.

No, this is not an animated GIF. The image really is static. Notice that when you look at any individual point dead on, it will stop moving. This powerful illusion is derived from interacting color contrasts and shape positions within the image.

This is a rather famous illusion of an impossible object. It has two rectangular prongs at one end that morph into three cylindrical prongs at the other.

Another famous illusion, this one was recently rediscovered in a cafe wall at the bottom of St. Michael’s Hill. Although the lines appear to be diverging from one another they are in fact quite parallel.

This is a classic illusion named after Ludimar Hermann who discovered it in 1870. At every point where the white lines intersect our eyes perceive a gray, shadowy blob. If you look directly at one of the intersections though, the blob disappears.

Also known as the pac-man illusion, if you stare at the center cross for a couple seconds you will begin to perceive a green disco going around the circle of magenta discs. After a few more seconds the magenta discs will gradually begin to fade away until all you see a green disc going in a circle around the cross (if you’re having trouble seeing it move closer to the screen).

Named after Robert Jastrow in 1889, the bottom figure appears to be larger although they are both the same size. This is because the shorter edge of “A” is directly adjacent to the longer edge of “B”.

Found in virtually every psychology textbook in the world, the two monsters in this illusion are in fact the same size. Your brain automatically adjusts images that it perceives to be distant in order to compensate for the fact that they are larger than they seem.

If you stare at the dot in the center and move your head away from the screen the rings will start to rotate. Now gradually get closer again…they change direction!

Created by web designer Nobuyuki Kayahara, some people at first see the figure spinning clockwise while others see it spinning counterclockwise. Don’t spend too much time trying to decipher it though, you could be here all day.

This illusion was named after Johann Karl Friedrich Zöllner and consists of parallel lines that appear to be diagonal. You may need a ruler for this one.

15 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by abiki(f): 9:55pm On Apr 19, 2013
Nice one OP smiley

5 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 20, 2013
This one gave me a headache. Crazy stuff cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 20, 2013
sweetroses:

Found in virtually every psychology textbook in the world, the two monsters in this illusion are in fact the same size. Your brain automatically adjusts images that it perceives to be distant in order to compensate for the fact that they are larger than they seem.
Bonkers!! Screw the explanation, one is definitely bigger than the other.

22 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 20, 2013
very good, but i don't think any sane person would see the girl as spinning counterclockwise.

5 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2013

this one always gets me grin

Concentrate on the four dots in the middle of the picture for about 30 seconds. Then close your eyes, or look up toward the ceiling. Within seconds you will see an image. Continue looking at the image…What Do You See?? Is it a heavenly sign?

8 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2013
ItsModella:
Bonkers!! Screw the explanation, one is definitely bigger than the other.
Calm down, take a ruler and do the analysis. they are of the same size.

3 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by joshuaidibia(m): 2:33pm On Apr 20, 2013
ItsModella: This one gave me a headache. Crazy stuff cheesy cheesy

omo! D tin rotate 4my eye as i luk am. #speakn lyk a primitive mind#

1 Like

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 20, 2013
holamiday: Calm down, take a ruler and do the analysis. they are of the same size.
loool...I actually did stick a ruler to my screen to measure them. grin grin

Yes, they are the same size...hahaha!! this is crazy.
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

Concentrate on the four dots in the middle of the picture for about 30 seconds. Then close your eyes, or look up toward the ceiling. Within seconds you will see an image. Continue looking at the image…What Do You See?? Is it a heavenly sign?
this old one...na Jesus nau!!

2 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by fashizie(m): 2:35pm On Apr 20, 2013
phewwwwwwww
dont damage ur eyes folks.
interestin all d same
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by joshuaidibia(m): 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

no nid closing ur eyes. E resemble bros J

1 Like

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2013
Space booked... Com8ng back now
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 20, 2013
ItsModella:

lool I know its old. Its just that everytime I do it, I always shiver in fear grin grin
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 20, 2013
This one really cool
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Coldfeet(f): 2:39pm On Apr 20, 2013
Which kind the more u look the less u see be dis? My eyes don de pain me angry 8-}

3 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by joshuaidibia(m): 2:41pm On Apr 20, 2013
WAIT O! Abi na hunger dy do my eye?
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by sweetmimi(f): 2:44pm On Apr 20, 2013
holamiday: very good, but i don't think any sane person would see the girl as spinning counterclockwise.
it spins both ways
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Goldenheart(m): 2:47pm On Apr 20, 2013
this is real.....the cross stuff.
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2013
joshua idibia: WAIT O! Abi na hunger dy do my eye?
no be hunger. My eye sef dey do koi koi. The more you look @ it, the more it get twisted.
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by felai: 3:00pm On Apr 20, 2013
really cool stuffs
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 20, 2013
oh well.. Now i hav a headache. . . Cool stuff tho. 'specially the one wiv the cross
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

i ve seen Jesus shocked

3 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Krucifax(m): 3:07pm On Apr 20, 2013
sweetroses:

Also known as the pac-man illusion, if you stare at the center cross for a couple seconds you will begin to perceive a green disco going around the circle of magenta discs. After a few more seconds the magenta discs will gradually begin to fade away until all you see a green disc going in a circle around the cross (if you’re having trouble seeing it move closer to the screen).

No way,this one to me is no illusion,but a GIF image that moves even before you stare at the cross. My opinion!

2 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 20, 2013
Sybellah:

i ve seen Jesus shocked

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

this is how i felt the first time

3 Likes

Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2013
Only an insan.e person Wuld see dat as counter clockwise, den one of dose peeps in d Temple Run is defo bigger.

Nice illusions though, cuz some were very real
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

lool I know its old. Its just that everytime I do it, I always shiver in fear grin grin
Funny thing is, I have been looking, but cant see nothing there
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2013
Billyonaire: Funny thing is, I have been looking, but cant see nothing there

you aint doing correctly, sysy saw Jesus, why cant you ?
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 20, 2013
Billyonaire: Funny thing is, I have been looking, but cant see nothing there
close your eyes after 30 secs...you should see something.
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 20, 2013
Crap! angry
Re: Some Really Cool Optical Illusions by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2013
ItsModella:
So you know how Jesus looks? shocked

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20 Signs You’re A Creative Person. / Falomo Bridge Art By Nigerian Students Now At The Thames London / Learn 3D Animation. Step by step. GET GOOD VIDEO TUTORIALS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.