Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,230 members, 7,780,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:22 PM

136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row (23281 Views)

Isa Muazu: Nigeria To Accept UK Deportee's Plane / Nigerian Deportee Demands Pay For Kenyan Officials’ Release / Can Nigerian Deportee From Usa(overstayed Visa) Apply For Canada Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Viable(m): 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2008
If i may ask, where is our own? (NIGERIAN AIRWAYS) we killed it! now na morning.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by 4Him1(m): 8:48pm On Apr 20, 2008
Viable:

If i may ask, where is our own? (NIGERIAN AIRWAYS) we killed it! now na morning.

no mind nigerians dem, we dey boycott wetin we no get. grin

Boycott corruption dem no go gree.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by blueprint3: 12:17am On Apr 21, 2008
when OBJ de chance them, they no boycott. Na for face book and nairaland them dey get mouth to protest and boycott,
If you like no go de protest and boycotte the corrupting when your government them dey do you.!!! :-XNigerain eeeeh!!!
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by admin2008(m): 12:31am On Apr 21, 2008
My Nigerian people make una no boycott BA, just remember say as them don dey fly out of Terminal 5, dem dey collect fingerprint o grin grin grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Imani(f): 12:40am On Apr 21, 2008
Human nature is interesting isn't it? undecided

Let's set another scenario, If lots of people boycott to the stage BA decides not to fly to Nigeria again due to lack of business activity and they lose customers to competitors who can then set price and tougher restrictions, we will still complain won't we? Do people think KLM, Luftansa and those other flights are really better? shocked When i want to go to Lagos, why should i spend 9 to 10 hours or more on a 6 hour standard flight? What is the economic sense in that? Virgin Nigeria will probably love to pack us up in those Jumbo planes for all they care as it is more cost effective for them.

It is not that BA refused to carry most of the passengers on board, only the one involved in the incident. Someone asked why deportees are not transported separately, well, that is not exactly what tax payers monies are meant for. They may have been high handed but that is nothing compared to the trouble we cause by ourselves. We can air grievances in more respectful ways and through appropriate channels and should stop behaving like agberos and pepper sellers all the time.

If Nigerians, want an airline for Nigeria and by Nigerians, then set up one. Personally, I will not patronise such a flight until it has been flying successfully for at least 5 years.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by admin2008(m): 1:47am On Apr 21, 2008
Imani:

Human nature is interesting isn't it? undecided

Let's set another scenario, If lots of people boycott to the stage BA decides not to fly to Nigeria again due to lack of business activity and they lose customers to competitors who can then set price and tougher restrictions, we will still complain won't we? Do people think KLM, Luftansa and those other flights are really better? shocked When i want to go to Lagos, why should i spend 9 to 10 hours or more on a 6 hour standard flight? What is the economic sense in that? Virgin Nigeria will probably love to pack us up in those Jumbo planes for all they care as it is more cost effective for them.

It is not that BA refused to carry most of the passengers on board, only the one involved in the incident. Someone asked why deportees are not transported separately, well, that is not exactly what tax payers monies are meant for. They may have been high handed but that is nothing compared to the trouble we cause by ourselves. We can air grievances in more respectful ways and through appropriate channels and should stop behaving like agberos and pepper sellers all the time.

If Nigerians, want an airline for Nigeria and by Nigerians, then set up one. Personally, I will not patronise such a flight until it has been flying successfully for at least 5 years.

The reason the guy spoke out was because he was a britico, a typical Nigerian would have kept quiet, like this thread demonstrates.

The £11,000 cost to deport overstayers/illegal immigrant in this way, is not justified and I am sure the tax payers would not happy if they find out about this cost. There is already a cash incentive of £4000 for Illegal immigrants who choose to go home voluntarily and the taxpayers are not happy with this. 

I don't even think I would patronise a Nigerian airline even if it has been running for ten years grin grin grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by 4Him1(m): 1:52am On Apr 21, 2008
admin2008:

I don't even think I would patronise a Nigerian airline even if it has been running for ten years grin grin grin

unpatriotic nigerians grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Arlington(f): 4:07am On Apr 22, 2008
BOYCOTT FIRE.!!!To show my support  , make e no be like say i be bad Nigerian i took my hard earned dollars and bought a ticket from Bloody Delta airlines and  do  you know what NIGERIA is the only country that delta has an embargo on for excess luggage from the USA ( i buy and sell so i need more than the regular  2) I just felt all airlines will let you pay for excess . Only Nigeria  in the whole of Africa then some places in Mexico and  other drug related south/north  American countries.No refunds oh.
Now who will donate  for my $1,600 i lost? at the end the BA, i  dey tear mouth for ,i ran there like a rat soaked in water so i could buy a ticket and get to where i am going. oya tell me  what do we do about Delta do we boycott them also?
I know BA  was wrong in some aspects but Nigerians  have also created some of the wahla for them selves have you seen some men  during the flight ordering the airhostesses around like they are there House girls? bring me wine  , hesss siiiii excuse me    yes i want wine when you can visibly see he has not finished the  one in front of him.  Let the truth be told we brought some of this insults for our selves finish .
Please the hotline for the donation of my  ticket is  1800 DELTA NA THIEF. please show your solidarity here!!!!!! grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by 4Him1(m): 4:08am On Apr 22, 2008
Siena:

No, David. Smart Nigerians who want to remain alive! grin grin grin

i dont blame them. tongue
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by femi4love(m): 2:56pm On Apr 22, 2008
I 've personally never experienced or seen any maltreatment on BA, but that does not mean they are perfect. The only thing that really irritates me is how our fellow Nigerians disgrace us like someone mentioned above. Many people who haven't lived abroad do not show courtesy or politeness when addressing the hosts/hostesses, why? because that's not even part of our culture at home. All we know is to order people around like houseboys/girls. I sometimes cringe within me when I see this. We need to educate our people more on showing courtesy and respect, most especially the use of the word "PLEASE"
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Rhea(f): 5:11pm On Apr 22, 2008
I have flown BA a couple of times before, and am yet to be maltreated by their crew.

However, I have to state that the conduct of Nigerians in foreign airports is often embarassing and disgraceful to say the least.

We are now calling on first class passengers and business class passengers and women with infants to board the plane, grin grin grin stampede!!!

This only happens in any counter that checks out a Nigeria-bound flight.

RESPECT HAS TO BE EARNED. LET'S EARN IT AS NIGERIANS.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Jackal1(m): 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2008
Are Nigerians trying to boycott BA? grin grin grin grin
That would be hilarious. . . . .BA would love that.
Nigerians need to check themselves. . . . .I have been flying BA for 16 years now and i have never been maltreated.
People should learn to conduct emselves accordingly and not act like an army of lunatics!!!!
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Akolawole(m): 6:33pm On Apr 22, 2008
BA ko! BA ni!!

Since 9/11, i have stopped flying them coupled with the fact that i heared for years they dont pay tax in nigeria due to one yeye colonial rule.

I will rather take kenya airline that is free from Terror attack and have a stop-over in nairobi for 20hours grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Rlst84sale(m): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2008
I would not be surprised if we get to find out that EloSela is one white british attemting to neutralize people's comment/reaction to that incident. Had it been someone like Mr Omotade voiced out in Spain the other time we wouldn't have lost a fellow Nigerian. I have witnessed all sorts of ineqalities in the way Africans are treated aboard all these mega airlines. There was even a time Nigerians abroad had to petition UN on a similar facts, while not in support of anyone engaging in acts that warrants deportation, however, as long as we don't speak up knowing that most of African governments officials are figure heads uncle Toms, African will contnue suffering in the hands of Europeans. Let British legal system practice what they preach, Omotade was not totally wrong had it been something had gone wrong and that guy eventually died, your leaders would certainly do nothing. I commend people like Omotade who speak up to see that fellow men are not murdered under pretence of your so called British police duty. BA just like Iberia would not just earn my business untill they change and I will let people around me be aware of them. It's that simple.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Imani(f): 9:46pm On Apr 22, 2008
Rlst84sale:

I would not be surprised if we get to find out that EloSela is one white british attemting to neutralize people's comment/reaction to that incident. Had it been someone like Mr Omotade voiced out in Spain the other time we wouldn't have lost a fellow Nigerian. I have witnessed all sorts of ineqalities in the way Africans are treated aboard all these mega airlines. There was even a time Nigerians abroad had to petition UN on a similar facts, while not in support of anyone engaging in acts that warrants deportation, however, as long as we don't speak up knowing that most of African governments officials are figure heads uncle Toms, African will contnue suffering in the hands of Europeans. Let British legal system practice what they preach, Akintoade was not totally wrong had it been something had gone wrong and that guy eventually died, your leaders would certainly do nothing. I commend people like Akintade who speak up to see that fellow men are not murdered under pretence of your so called British police duty. BA just like Iberia would not just earn my business untill they change and I will let people around me be aware of them. It's that simple.

Your comments are quite strong. I have always flown BA and have NOT been maltreated in any way. If you want to take your business elsewhere, that is fine. It is a free world and you have a choice where you spend your money.

I am NOT saying our people should be treated roughly, however, people will treat you the way you want to be treated. If you respect yourself, you will be respected where ever you go, anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, Nigerians have not been known to behave in the most rational way at times. God forbid, if i was to be deported, i wont go about shouting and drawing attention to myself. The guy obviously didnt want to go back. Maybe he knew that the "punishment" back home would be worse. That is another story. I don't know the full story of his deportation. He may have overstayed and was caught or committed a crime, and upon release, was deported, we don't know. The british legal system is not the role model for legal practice, however, they try to be fair and tough at the same time.

The moral of the story is this, when you go to another country, behave yourself, obey the law and you will be fine. Not every country is lawless like ours.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by bigbumper(f): 10:24pm On Apr 22, 2008
Rlst84sale:

I would not be surprised if we get to find out that EloSela is one white british attemting to neutralize people's comment/reaction to that incident. Had it been someone like Mr Omotade voiced out in Spain the other time we wouldn't have lost a fellow Nigerian. I have witnessed all sorts of ineqalities in the way Africans are treated aboard all these mega airlines. There was even a time Nigerians abroad had to petition UN on a similar facts, while not in support of anyone engaging in acts that warrants deportation, however, as long as we don't speak up knowing that most of African governments officials are figure heads uncle Toms, African will contnue suffering in the hands of Europeans. Let British legal system practice what they preach, Akintoade was not totally wrong had it been something had gone wrong and that guy eventually died, your leaders would certainly do nothing. I commend people like Akintade who speak up to see that fellow men are not murdered under pretence of your so called British police duty. BA just like Iberia would not just earn my business untill they change and I will let people around me be aware of them. It's that simple.

I feel you my sister, if you hear someone wailing and yelling, it's human nature to want to know if things are okay.

If I were to find myself in such similar situation, I would tell them I want to get off the plane, knowing the delay in off-loading me and my luggage would cost them thousands of pounds.

Perhaps if more people make a stance (indirect silent protest) like this, they would reconsider other humane means of dealing with overstayers.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by EloSela(f): 10:30pm On Apr 22, 2008
Rlst84sale:

I would not be surprised if we get to find out that EloSela is one white british . . .

Na wire o! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by bigbumper(f): 10:34pm On Apr 22, 2008
The country is sick and twisted. People want to work, yet they make it more profitable for people to stay on benefits. They waste so much money on deporting people or bribing people to go home.

It's so sad the way people get deported, they get picked up in shopping malls, at work, at home, whilst driving or anywhere, they don't get a chance to take anything at all, all what they have worked for goes down the drain, they lose their savings, their properties, everything they have worked for . . . Life sucks
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by nwandolina(f): 2:14am On Apr 23, 2008
make una boycott and girlcott BA hopefully the price will drop for us.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by DisGuy: 3:03am On Apr 23, 2008
shut up
siena is anyone forcing you to boycott or sign petition? or why is this disturbing you so much? are you a shareholder or something?

I've seen the way members of the NPF treat the very citizens they're employed to protect - in the course of them making "arrests", many Nigerians have died, or been maimed. Yet, how many Nigerians complain about that? How many Nigerians boycott NPF services? How many petitions to get the current bent police Administration out?
millions!!!!
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by DisGuy: 3:05am On Apr 23, 2008
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804233293865

President Umaru Yar’Adua has directed the Minister of State for Transportation in charge of Aviation, Mr. Felix Hyatt, to investigate reports of maltreatment of Nigerian passengers by foreign airlines.

The President, according to a source in the Presidency, was particularly miffed at an incident that took place on March 27, 2008, in which British Airways allegedly ordered over 100 Nigerians off its London–Lagos bound flight.

The passengers were reportedly protesting the brutal treatment of a Nigerian deportee aboard the flight.
The source said that Yar’Adua also directed the Aviation Minister to officially notify all foreign airlines operating in the country that the Federal Government would no longer tolerate the maltreatment of Nigerian passengers aboard their aircraft.

The source added that Yar’Adua expressed disgust at the nonchalant attitude of British Airways officials in response to the incident.

The President, it was learnt, also asked the minister to furnish him with a report of the development on the completion of the investigation.
The source explained that the President had so far not received any official report on the British Airways incident, and was only informed by reports in the media.
The source said, “The President is said to be concerned by the recent resurgence of complaints about the poor treatment, discrimination and downright abuse meted out to Nigerians by some foreign airlines operating in the country.

“The President has also directed the Minister to make it absolutely clear to all foreign airlines operating in Nigeria that under no circumstance will his administration tolerate the subjection of Nigerian passengers to less than acceptable standards of treatment.”
In another development, the President on Tuesday telephoned Lagos lawyer and human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), in London to convey his personal best wishes to him on the occasion of his 70th birthday anniversary.

Yaro on speed cheesy
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Nobody: 3:09am On Apr 23, 2008
Hurray Yaradua to the rescue. cheesy
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by TheSly: 3:20am On Apr 23, 2008
For the first time this year. . . .
This is the first move that has been able to put a smile on ma face when it comes to Nigeria.

Nice one!. . . . cool
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by jgirl3: 4:14am On Apr 23, 2008
3 gbosas for Yar'Adua!!!
Finally, he does something about it. . . . .
I hope they investigate this thing without egunje. lipsrsealed
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by dnative(m): 4:23am On Apr 23, 2008
Nice one here. I'm sure Olusegun Adeniyi (the president's spokesman) might be pulling some weight here. 

Remember when he was still at ThisDay and he wrote this article criticising the Britiish High Commission in Lagos of charging visa fees that 'expired and being non-refundable' after 30days of applicants making payment into the bank but was unable to make the interview.   

http://allafrica.com/stories/200705310257.html
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=79603  (thisday archives link - login required)

He seriously questioned how the fees payed into BHC GTB bank account could 'expire' within 30 days when the funds was still in their account and when the services the fees were paid for had not been rendered and moreso when the visa appointment process then was done in such a way that applicants can genuinely pay in the fees into the BHC bank account and end up being unable to secure a visa appointment at the VFS center within 30days.

Left to some 'Nigerians', Segun shouldn't have complained because:

[list]
he would not get better services from the Nigerian High Commission so he has no right to demand such from BHC
he cannot question the sovereignty of BHC as they represent Her Royal Majesty in Nigeria
he should have kept his mouth shut and go along with the flow as Nigerians are well known for their unruly behaviour
Nigerians are treated far worse by fellow Nigerians in their country.
[/list]

But no Segun went ahead and complained anyway. And the result. BHC wrote a rejoinder apologizing to Segun for the personal experience his wife went through (his wife had earlier been subjected to this 'expiring fees' policy when she applied for a visa renewal at BHC) and taking time to clarify that they are now making provisions for applicants with genuine reasons to circumvent the '30-days fees expiry policy.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=79747  (thisday archive link - login required)
http://allafrica.com/stories/200706010763.html

My take on this: The agent of change with regards to how Nigerians are being treated overseas does not necessarily have to start at home and should start anywhere, wherever as the occassion arises. It is not enough to castigate Omotade for standing up for his fellow Nigerian because Nigerians get a worse deal at home. We need to put our foot down with these guys whenever the opportunity presents itself as no one else would do this for us. Remember the saying about the Romans, Greek - when they came for the Romans, I did not complain because I was not a Roman,
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Rlst84sale(m): 6:34am On Apr 23, 2008
Well stated by Dnative. Just as one of the late presidents of The United States said "The journey of a thousand years starts with just 1 step. The way Omotade took stand in England for that guy probably would have been same for a white, Spanish or Oriental given same or similar circumstance.  As for a decision to boycut any business that performs below standard in their ethics is a principle of putting your money where your mouth is. Everyone may not join suit but sooner or later another victim might be you or someone close to you so it's better for us to voice out now so it won't continue. How many of you guys that live abroad can honestly say that you have never at one point or the other experienced prejudice or inequality in services or opportunities?. What have you done to effect change?. There are certain rules and guidelines to be followed in carrying out any assigned duty, why should that rule change when it comes to Africans?.  Aren't you paying the same fare others are paying perhaps more?. For the purpose of clarity, no one advocates lawlessness either in your own or others' lands.

Moreover, I'm not saying that everything is rossy in Nigeria either but I strongly believe that things will get better it's just a matter of time and I pray that we all live to see and enjoy it. In the meantime, if changes don't happen from the top down let it be from the group up and you and I can start right from where we are.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by bluehorizo(m): 7:22am On Apr 23, 2008
President Umaru Yar’Adua has directed the Minister of State for Transportation in charge of Aviation, Mr. Felix Hyatt, to investigate reports of maltreatment of Nigerian passengers by foreign airlines.

The President, according to a source in the Presidency, was particularly miffed at an incident that took place on March 27, 2008, in which British Airways allegedly ordered over 100 Nigerians off its London–Lagos bound flight.

The passengers were reportedly protesting the brutal treatment of a Nigerian deportee aboard the flight.

The source said that Yar’Adua also directed the Aviation Minister to officially notify all foreign airlines operating in the country that the Federal Government would no longer tolerate the maltreatment of Nigerian passengers aboard their aircraft.

The source added that Yar’Adua expressed disgust at the nonchalant attitude of British Airways officials in response to the incident.

The President, it was learnt, also asked the minister to furnish him with a report of the development on the completion of the investigation.

The source explained that the President had so far not received any official report on the British Airways incident, and was only informed by reports in the media.

The source said, “The President is said to be concerned by the recent resurgence of complaints about the poor treatment, discrimination and downright abuse meted out to Nigerians by some foreign airlines operating in the country.

“The President has also directed the Minister to make it absolutely clear to all foreign airlines operating in Nigeria that under no circumstance will his administration tolerate the subjection of Nigerian passengers to less than acceptable standards of treatment.”

In another development, the President on Tuesday telephoned Lagos lawyer and human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), in London to convey his personal best wishes to him on the occasion of his 70th birthday anniversary.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804233293865
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by Allenpowered(m): 10:07am On Apr 23, 2008
well looks like the president is concerned too,
for the guy who said omotade should have put on the headphone, well they dont put on headphones except after take off, lol, check facts
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by romeo(m): 10:36am On Apr 23, 2008
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by simmy(m): 10:50am On Apr 23, 2008
which petition?Nigerians are just silly!
have u been in aplane where most of the passengers are Nigerians its the definiton of chaos!!! nigerians are terribly aggressive and most of them think etiquette is the french word 4 mini skirt. I dont know what happnd on the BA flight but im willing to bet Ba had good enuff reason to order them all off the flight. Nigerians behave like touts and expect the rest of the civilised world to treat them like gentlemen. See 9ja people making a fool of us in London, dubai, jo-burg, practically everywhere! Nigerians should go n learn how to behave.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by jaybee3(m): 11:01am On Apr 23, 2008
@ romeo
Why is the ipetition website making it mandatory to donate $2 upwards before one can support the action?
Hope it's not another ploy of the forever hungry/good for nothing naija fraudsters trying to cash in from something absolutely disgusting done to one of ours by BA.
Re: 136 Ba Passengers Removed From Jet Over Deportee Row by simmy(m): 11:08am On Apr 23, 2008
9ja 4 life!!!
always an opportunity to make moni
$2
LMAO

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

To Move Back From America Or Not... / Fuel Tanker Falls In Cross River, Residents Rush Out With Their Gallons. Photo / Japa: Nigerians Abroad Sent Over ₦‎1.5 Trillion To Their Families Back Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.