Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,468 members, 7,801,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? (852 Views)

Why Are Catholic Nuns not usually beautiful? / On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran / Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2013
I will like to know whether d christian catholics believe in evolution or not and why considering dat catholics have accepted different type of doctrines over d years and like other denominations like to twist d bible to suit their purposes so dats why i'm asking if dey believe in evolution and d theory of natural selection.tanks
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 3:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
I read some article about catholic christians believing in darwin's theory so wat do nigerian catholics believe.tanks
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2013
Good day ninja,

This hopefully will be another thread to remember...

The article you read, did it state an official position of the Catholic church or its just the opinions of individuals?
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ooman(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
striktlymi: Good day ninja,

The article you read, did it state an official position of the Catholic church or its just the opinions of individuals?

Pope John Paul said evolution was right but that it was God who controlled the evolution of new species.

While his take on evolution was right, he was wrong for saying it was god who controls speciation because evolution of new species comes with death of another. This depicts vanity and purposeless design, as Solomon called it, purposeless and vanity are not part of the properties of intelligence. This is why there is no intelligent designer in nature.

Peace.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2013
ooman:

Pope John Paul said evolution was right but that it was God who controlled the evolution of new species.

While his take on evolution was right, he was wrong for saying it was god who controls speciation because evolution of new species comes with death of another. This depicts vanity and purposeless design, as Solomon called it, purposeless and vanity are not part of the properties of intelligence. This is why there is no intelligent designer in nature.

Peace.

Can we have some quote from the good pope?
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by mumumugu(m): 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
Why catholic?
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ooman(m): 6:27pm On Apr 23, 2013
striktlymi:

So many

Pope John Paul however maintained that the soul of man was from some sort of god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II

Evolution is more than an hypothesis - Pope JP2 - http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp961022.htm

http://atheism.about.com/od/popejohnpaulii/a/evolution.htm

More??

Evolution is a fact - Pope JP2 - http://biblelight.net/darwin.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

However, this fact, like all other facts, never went without contention

Catholics deny Pope JP2 said such a thing - http://www.catholicintl.com/index.php/catholic/scandals/993-qevolution-more-than-a-hypothesisq-never-said-by-pope-john-paul-ii

Capisce?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
striktlymi:

of course yes.pope john paul II in an address to the pontifical academy of sciences on october 22 1996 said and i quote
''New scientific knowledge has led us to realize that the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis.It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge.The convergence,neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of this theory.''
not only catholic church there are many denominations dat have accepted d theory of evolution though some claimed it does not conflict with their interpretations of the origin of life found in the bible.so wat do nairalander christians esp catholics tink abt dis is d pope wrong or is he right,honesy answer needed pls.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 6:45pm On Apr 23, 2013
striktlymi:

of course yes.pope john paul II in an address to the pontifical academy of sciences on october 22 1996 said and i quote
''New scientific knowledge has led us to realize that the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis.It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge.The convergence,neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of this theory.''
even pope pius XII acknowledged that biological evolution was compatible with christian faith although he argued that God's intervention was necessary for vreation of human soul.
not only catholic church there are many other denominations dat have accepted d theory of evolution though some claimed it does not conflict with their interpretations of the origin of life found in the bible.so wat do nairalander christians esp catholics tink abt dis are d popes wrong or is he right,honest answer needed pls.if any1 is doubting d above google is ur friend.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 7:18am On Apr 24, 2013
Why do some catholics nairalanders argue dat they donot believe in evolution dat its a delusion,does dat mean they donot hold their pope's word in high esteem or is d pope now fallible,pls i need answers.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 24, 2013
ninja4life:
not only catholic church there are many denominations dat have accepted d theory of evolution though some claimed it does not conflict with their interpretations of the origin of life found in the bible.so wat do nairalander christians esp catholics tink abt dis is d pope wrong or is he right,honesy answer needed pls.

Good morning ninja,

Before answering a question that was not directed to you, why not start by answering that which was asked you directly? The question again is:

Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 24, 2013
G morning ooman,

ooman:

So many

Pope John Paul however maintained that the soul of man was from some sort of god.

So many ke? Okay o...

ooman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II

I didn't ask for a history of Pope Johnpaul II.

ooman:
Evolution is more than an hypothesis - Pope JP2 - http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp961022.htm

Even secondary school kids know that evolution has gone beyond the stage of being an hypothesis, so guy this is not new.

ooman:
http://atheism.about.com/od/popejohnpaulii/a/evolution.htm

The above is still on the 'hypothesis' thingy...

ooman:
More??

Evolution is a fact - Pope JP2 - http://biblelight.net/darwin.htm

The above site cannot be taken seriously cause they did not quote the pope directly but made their own assumption as seen below:

"What the Pope has done, as you will see, is elevate Darwinian evolutionary theory to that of undeniable scientific fact, or truth."

The bold was not stated by the pope.

ooman:
http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

The above is still on the same 'hypothesis' thingy.

ooman:
However, this fact, like all other facts, never went without contention

Which fact exactly? Can you show us where the pope said "evolution was right" as you claim below:

ooman:

ooman:
Catholics deny Pope JP2 said such a thing - http://www.catholicintl.com/index.php/catholic/scandals/993-qevolution-more-than-a-hypothesisq-never-said-by-pope-john-paul-ii

Capisce?? cheesy

So?
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 9:22am On Apr 24, 2013
striktlymi:

Good morning ninja,

Before answering a question that was not directed to you, why not start by answering that which was asked you directly? The question again is:

ok are u telling me dat d pope of more than 1billion catholics is wrong in his assertion or anyting he says represents his own opinion cos i dont get u,if d president of nigeria believes dat granting amnesty to boko haram is d solution wont his stand be challenged if some people feel otherwise i have not read where catholics leaders come out to challenge the popes on their stand on evolution and wont it be safe to assume dat d infallible pope represents d catholics christian and have more knowledge about God dan d average catholic christian or am i wrong.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 24, 2013
ninja4life:
ok are u telling me dat d pope of more than 1billion catholics is wrong in his assertion or anyting he says represents his own opinion cos i dont get u,if d president of nigeria believes dat granting amnesty to boko haram is d solution wont his stand be challenged if some people feel otherwise i have not read where catholics leaders come out to challenge the popes on their stand on evolution and wont it be safe to assume dat d infallible pope represents d catholics christian and have more knowledge about God dan d average catholic christian or am i wrong.

The question I asked you is quite simple really, so I am struggling to understand why you have not answered it so far. For the avoidance of doubt, the question again is:

It was a follow-up on this comment:

ninja4life: I read some article about catholic christians believing in darwin's theory so wat do nigerian catholics believe.tanks
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 12:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
striktlymi:

The question I asked you is quite simple really, so I am struggling to understand why you have not answered it so far. For the avoidance of doubt, the question again is:

It was a follow-up on this comment:

it is officially stated dat d theory of evolution does not contradict d catholics teaching only dat it needed God's intervention for it to happen,d real reason why i asked dis question is because i have seen many catholics christians who considered theory of evolution outrightly wrong so does dat mean their pope can be wrong and fallible or wat does dat suggest.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
ninja4life:
it is officially stated dat d theory of evolution does not contradict d catholics teaching only dat it needed God's intervention for it to happen,d real reason why i asked dis question is because i have seen many catholics christians who considered theory of evolution outrightly wrong so does dat mean their pope can be wrong and fallible or wat does dat suggest.

Should I take it that yo lied when you said this:

ninja4life: I read some article about catholic christians believing in darwin's theory
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ooman(m): 6:27pm On Apr 24, 2013
striktlymi: G morning ooman,

So many ke? Okay o...

I didn't ask for a history of Pope Johnpaul II.

Even secondary school kids know that evolution has gone beyond the stage of being an hypothesis, so guy this is not new.

The above is still on the 'hypothesis' thingy...

The above site cannot be taken seriously cause they did not quote the pope directly but made their own assumption as seen below:

"What the Pope has done, as you will see, is elevate Darwinian evolutionary theory to that of undeniable scientific fact, or truth."

The bold was not stated by the pope.

The above is still on the same 'hypothesis' thingy.

Which fact exactly? Can you show us where the pope said "evolution was right" as you claim below:

So?

whatever man. It doesnt matter what the pope think about evolution anyway.
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2013
ooman:

whatever man. It doesnt matter what the pope think about evolution anyway.

grin
Re: What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? by ninja4life(m): 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
striktlymi:

Should I take it that yo lied when you said this:

nope i said i have read some articles about some catholic christians believing about d theory of evolution while those dat have seen do not believe it thereby d reason for asking dis question whether those catholic christian dat balieve d theory are wrong or those dat do not even though wat their pope said .
And wat is ur position on dis topic do u believe d theory of evolution is outrightly wrong and wat is ur reason.tanks

(1) (Reply)

Atheism Has Denominations / BBA Africa: Matters Arising / Religion Is A Gigantic Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.