Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (9273 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by almondjoy(f): 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2008
Mistakenly put "ground ogbonor" inside my egusi soup. . .thinking it was "ground crayfish". . .

In the trash of course. . . no salvation for the meat, fish and all the rest of the gang inside that pot of "junk"!  Everything turned to moulded slime right before my eyes in less than one minute! angry
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by spikedcylinder: 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2008
They are many o!!! Once, i tried to bake meaat without marinating or cooking it, it turned out all brown and nice but was still red and raw inside.
Another time, i attempted to make fried rice but the only type of rice available to me was some kind of chinese rice bullsh!t. I cant attempt to tell you how it turned out. Usually sha, whenever i cook, the kitchen ends up looking like a world war 2 scene.

Remember a scene from UNFINISHED LIFE where Morgan Freeman said he didnt know humans ate snails. Snails ke? Na im sweet pass!!!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by ololade34(f): 8:20pm On Apr 13, 2008
@ almondjoy

I made a similar mistake some years back i added ground ogbono to a vegetable soup thinking it was egusi
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by mamaput(f): 8:26pm On Apr 13, 2008
this happened not too long ago.
i cooked groundnut peppersoup with sugar . dont ask me how it got there.
i think the cup i used to add water had sugar in it and i did not notice
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by zarazara: 10:35pm On Apr 13, 2008
I tried to make moin moin once and it was so hard, it was like a stone. A disaster. Nobody ate it. grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by missreese: 12:15am On Apr 14, 2008
This was 2 years ago, i was trying to impress some guy with my cooking skills so i decided to make moinmoin,
In blending the beans, i forgot to peel off the skin after washing, the whole paste came out black, needless to say it never made it into the cooking pot
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by katherinae(f): 2:38am On Apr 14, 2008
my worst cooking experience was when i first came back from teh states. i wanted ot show off to my siblings so i decided to bake them a cake from scratch with out a recipe. anyway i went to the market and bought a whole tub of summer county butter and used the whole bucket thinking that it would end up tasting like butter pound cake. well when teh cake was done it smelt like heaven but when we cut into it, the inside was pure liquid. My mom was soo pissed because apparnetly summer county butter was expensive then, chai i was soo embarassed
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Nobody: 3:22am On Apr 14, 2008
I once attempted making  homemade pizza from scratch several years ago.
I didn't know whether to spread butter on it and call it a giant cabin biscuit or to keep it under my pillow as a weapon to ward of intruders. grin

The thing was hard like olumo rock
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Scopium: 8:50am On Apr 14, 2008
[size=13pt]I prepared a very delicious pork meat. From miles away, the aroma cast spells on people but the catch was I prepared it with sugar instead of salt so it was sweet, very sweet. And I did that at my friends house who wants to impress his chick with his/my cooking undecided[/size]
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by chloee(f): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2008
Poured kerosine into a pot of bean i was cooking embarassed
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by enque(f): 9:50am On Apr 14, 2008
my first eva cooking mistake was the first time i eva cooked in my life, i was supposed to make beans (porridge) for dinner. hmmmm! i was so scared n nervous that by d time i was through;
(1) the beans was not well cooked i.e. not as soft as my family loves it,

(2) there wasn't enough salt in the food

(3)was more like eba than bean porridge.

(4) d food was so damn tasteless

but anyway that was many years ago, these days i hardly make any cookin mistakes again.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by cashoggy(f): 10:12am On Apr 14, 2008
Mine was years ago. Like Scopium's friend, I wanted to impress my visiting boyfriend with my cooking skill wink. Days previous to that I just heard from somewhere how garlic improves the taste and aroma of stew. So this day I boiled my few pieces of beef with pleeeeeeeenty garlic, thinking the more the better the result. I was so stupid I did not taste the meat before it was served, I only tasted the stew which was ok.

Thank God Loverboy was the type that eats all the food before meat. He finished the rice and bit the first piece of meat. shocked shocked It was as if he tasted acid the way he spat out the meat and gave me one-kain look of ‘them send you to kill me?’. embarassed I had to 'confess' by explaining to him what 'experiment' I performed otherwise he might just think na juju I put for the meat. I still use garlic, but sparingly.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by RealMan3(m): 11:44am On Apr 14, 2008
cuteness01:

mine {or should i say ours} was when i and my 2 sisters all added salt to the same pot of rice at different times, the outcome was not funny grin grin

typical case of '' too many cooks spoil the broth'' smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by KikiDixy(f): 12:39pm On Apr 14, 2008
I once attempted making homemade pizza from scratch several years ago.
I didn't know whether to spread butter on it and call it a giant cabin biscuit or to keep it under my pillow as a weapon to ward of intruders.

The thing was hard like olumo rock

LOL!!! Been there, done that! grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by ritapearl(f): 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2008
I put too much salt in the moi-moi i was making. Another day, i put too much water in the Yam porridge i was cooking.Now i'm very careful when adding extras.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by achinu(m): 2:58pm On Apr 14, 2008
I think my bad cooking experience was when I first cooked some pepper-soup. I ended up putting way too much pepper in the soup and it ended being nothing but water and a whole lot of pepper! Foolish me.
I decided to brave it and used the soup in eating some pounded yam, it wasn't funny that entire night as my stomach was on fire and remained restless! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Jansop: 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2008
funny,mine was yesterday.cooked jollof rice for my fiance yesterday and it was a disaster.saltless and soggy.don't know what happened,maybe I was tired after church.his sisters who live with him laughed at it but my fiance just ate gaily without noticing,he ate a full plate and did say anything.me,i just bone sha, wink
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Ebonyj(f): 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2008
The first one was about 12 years ago when I cooked moinmoin without adding any salt because I was so scarred my mum would whoop my arse, I now rubbed salt on top of it, that got got me into bigger trouble my mum made me eat the whole batch of i think 12 cans of Blueband tins. lol.
Second was when i was still dating my then boyfriend now my husband, I wanted to impress him by making peppersoup, God Almighty, the soup turned outr to be Hell soup, it was so bloody hot we could not even eat the meat in it, I ended up throwing the whole pot of soup out. lol
Lastly , last year Christmas I was so distracted doing other things tat the rice ended up looking like rise paste plus my in- laws were around at teh time, can you imagine their shock, .
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by metodman(m): 4:26pm On Apr 14, 2008
Mine happened when i got here. There is a food like SEMO called PAP, I always see how these guys eat it and i was like i can cook it since i know how to prepare EBA, I did and i ate alone. I was just stooling all thru the night, Even the next day was so bad, There was even a time when i felt i should get a chair near the toilet grin grin grin grin It was later i got to know that it was not done properly.

Anyway am now a professional
cheesy
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Name5: 4:36pm On Apr 14, 2008
metodman:

Mine happened when i got here. There is a food like SEMO called PAP, I always see how these guys eat it and i was like i can cook it since i know how to prepare EBA, I did and i ate alone. I was just stooling all through the night, Even the next day was so bad, There was even a time when i felt i should get a chair near the toilet grin grin grin grin It was later i got to know that it was not done properly.

Anyway am now a professional
cheesy

lol grin grin grin

You must have added excess sugar to it , tongue
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by frgy1: 10:07am On Apr 15, 2008
1. my friend and i tried to prepare ewuro(bitter leaf) soup at school, so as required we rubbed the leaves wit salt b4 cooking to remove the bitterness. i guess we didnt rub it long enough for the soup was so bitter it tasted like ''agbo iba".
but we gat chop now, so we added some suger,
talk about a BITTER SWEET EXPERIENCE . literally

2.at another time , my patner in crime above, cooked one concoction rice , omo u nid see this rice to appreciate wetin i dey talk. water too much so tay e be like make u soak cooked rice inside water con dey drink am like gari. the maggi, pepper, tomatoes con dey float one one on top the rice broth. the most horrible part be say, we chop am
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by kingkams(m): 12:56pm On Apr 15, 2008
Ebonyj:

The first one was about 12 years ago when I cooked moinmoin without adding any salt because I was so scarred my mum would whoop my arse, I now rubbed salt on top of it, that got got me into bigger trouble my mum made me eat the whole batch of i think 12 cans of Blueband tins. lol.
Second was when i was still dating my then boyfriend now my husband, I wanted to impress him by making peppersoup, God Almighty, the soup turned outr to be Hell soup, it was so bloody hot we could not even eat the meat in it, I ended up throwing the whole pot of soup out. lol
Lastly , last year Christmas I was so distracted doing other things tat the rice ended up looking like rise paste plus my in- laws were around at the time, can you imagine their shock, .

grin grin grin grin

She just thought the salt would sink into the moinmoin. Nice concept.

Hell soup? God, i just cant stop laughing at that description.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by phantah(f): 1:00pm On Apr 15, 2008
mine was the first time i fried akara (bean cakes), the thing just scattered in the oil that was years ago. my second attempt was much better, i think  grin, the first batch i put in the oil didn't scatter but came out as burnt offering! i finally got a hang of it sha and my husband and i ate the thing live! grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by nossycheek(f): 4:20pm On Apr 15, 2008
from almondjoy
Mistakenly put "ground ogbonor" inside my egusi soup. . .thinking it was "ground crayfish". . .

In the trash of course. . . no salvation for the meat, fish and all the rest of the gang inside that pot of "junk"!  Everything turned to moulded slime right before my eyes in less than one minute!

That is another type of soup altogether ( egusi & ogbono aka Bachelor's soup) and can be very delicious

from miss reese

This was 2 years ago, i was trying to impress some guy with my cooking skills so i decided to make moinmoin,
In blending the beans, i forgot to peel off the skin after washing, the whole paste came out black, needless to say it never made it into the cooking pot

there is nothing wrong with this; yoruba call it ekuru (I have not eaten one sha)
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by krisunion: 6:00pm On Apr 15, 2008
While about preparing melon soup, I bought some palm oil, but decided to use the remainder I have at home, not knowing that it was spoilt. Tobe brief, after cooking, just couldnt eat the soup. It was awful!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by mygal(f): 6:30pm On Apr 15, 2008
Mine was Egusi soup, my mum travelled, and then my father thinking i can do all things, bought all the ingredients and whoop! i cooked him egusi soup looking like beans soup. i over fried the Egusi and it was soo Bad. i was so embarrassed.
lol
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Laraba28: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2008
Not my worst but the one i can remmeber. I was just trying to boil chicken and i mistakenly put to much curry, i thot it wouldn't be too bad, so i just continued, anyway i ended up having an unplanned indian cuisine that evening. grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by allboyz(m): 12:06pm On Apr 17, 2008
lol, i have never cooked or prepared any thing in my life except boiling water and my sis will make the Eba,or breaking the egg and my sis/Mum will fry for me or warming the soup,

that's all i do in the kitchen, ohh, i also go there to steal some piece of meat, (that's in the past anyway) lol wink
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by omoovie(f): 5:27pm On Apr 17, 2008
Oh mennn! I've had a few bombs including one "egusi-esque" soup that a young man said, "dey warm belle". LOL. I think my worst mistake ever was putting potash and then granulated sugar into a pot of ogbono soup. Hahahah! It tasted like a combo of soap and whatever Elvira must have had in that pot! ROFL! But I've stepped up my game tremendously since my 10 yr old days. I get a lot of compliments on my cooking these days when I decide to cook. Tee hee!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 17, 2008
I really do not know who sent us message. When we were younger my sister and I wanted to experiment with foods and we decided to fry groundnuts wrapped in bread in deep oil. The oil was too much but we ate it and ended up vomitting and feeling dizzy through out the day .
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Cadet(f): 11:36pm On Apr 17, 2008
Putting Rice on the stove after I just got home from school. I decided to lay on the couch for a few mins. Woke up to the sound of smoke alarm. Almost burned the house down
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by SeanT21(f): 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2008
I love america houses but i cant stand the fire alarms. they are annoying as hell!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Will You Eat Your Xmas Food ?? / Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? / Blogger, Tatafonaija Feeds 1000 Kids In Abuja To Mark Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.