Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

"The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine - Rap Battles - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Battles / "The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine (1374 Views)

04ka Teaches Fatfish How To Rap - Fatfish Transformation To A Dope Female Rapper / 04ka Teaches Deelady How To Rap- August 2010 O4ka's Rap School Resumes ! / I'm Embarrased To Rap :'( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine by mayoviral(m): 8:19pm On Apr 23, 2013
From it’s beginnings not to many years ago in Nigeria, Hip hop has moved from being regarded with suspicion to being viewed as a viable art form. A lot of ‘young uns’ these days set out with the good intent to rap and make good music. It’s a tough world out there. We figure they’ll be needing a little guidance. And who better to ask for help thanModenine?

VIRALSPLASH.NET asked the award winning rapper to walk us through what it takes to be one of the greats. With multiple mixtapes and albums under his belt, and some more on the way, Modenine is that rapper respected everywhere for his skill and devotion to the art.

Can anybody rap?

Um. That’s a very deep question. Yes and no. It just depends on interest. If you’re really interested and you can speak English or any other language to a respectable degree, than, yes you can rap.

But you have to really want to. So people who want to rap because they want to be superstars or famous or something, they got it wrong.

LESSON#1: RESPECT THE ART

Is there anybody who shouldn’t be allowed to rap?

Well you know I can’t call out names here.

What sort of person shouldn’t be allowed to rap?

Well there are a lot of people I hear nowadays just doing it for the stardom, or fame or whatever. Those people shouldn’t be allowed to rap.

How powerful is hip hop?

Hip hop is really powerful. You see places like America where they have an entire culture built around it. Where it’s become an important part of the society. In Nigeria, people don’t really understand hip hop. They don’t know what it is. They see you putting on bling bling and and Supras they call it hip hop. Anybody singing they say it’s hip hop.

So as for Nigeria…I don’t know…. I don’t really know what to say about Nigeria. I think that’s why any rapper who starts singing, you can’t really blame them. We have a lot of rappers who’ve started singing. And it’s because they’ve been rapping for a while and it’s like: oh boy nobody dey feel me oh.

LESSON#2: DON’T BEEF UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.

Beef in hip hop. Is it part of the culture or one of those things?

Beef. Beef is part of life. People are always beefing each other. At work, at the office, in music, people are always beefing. It’s part of life. Me, I’ve never really liked the whole beef thing oh. If I don’t like you, I don’t like you. I won’t go around saying things behind anyone’s back.

And beef is different from people who just hate. Some people are just hating ‘because’. Some people have taken shots at me. Some young cats….And I don’t really listen to Nigerian hip hop like that. So anybody subbing me in their songs… They’re just wasting their time mehn. I won’t even hear it.

I’ve had my own share of beef, here and there….but Beef? I don’t I don’t really like it. One thing is I won’t say shit behind your back. I’m just a real guy like that.

LESSON #3: WORK YOUR ARSE OFF

How do you write?

Umm… sometimes I write very fast and if I’m writing very fast it just means that I like the beat so much… Sometimes If I have a beat I really love, I write multiple songs to it. Sometimes I’m very spontaneous. Other times I write one line and just get tired and leave it. It just depends.

What are you working on right now?

This week, I’ve been working on mixing my project. It’s a collaborative album between myself and XYZ. I was gonna put it out online for free. But naah, this year I’m not doing that. And it’s funny. I put out online that it’s not going to be free and some people started insulting me. Like everything I put out now should be free.

But I need to keep doing what I’m doing. I’m not really getting any support but I do this because I’m a fan of hip hop, you know?

What else for the year?

I’m also working on a solo album. A couple collabos been working on. You know some of these ‘big’ artistes it can take them up to 6 months to even a year to get on your song. I’ve hollered at some and they aren’t coming through. I mean it’s nothing personal but if you aren’t going to do it, just say no. I have no problem with that. What I don’t like is when you waste my time. And I understand that some are very busy. But when the time comes to release the album I’m not waiting anymore. Nothing personal. That’s just how it’ll be.

Just know that when you want to get a ver

1 Like

Re: "The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine by ijebabe: 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
I miss this guy. Hope he comes up with something good soon.
Re: "The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine by caukerzee(m): 9:00am On Apr 24, 2013
Olamide is one of those people who shouldn't be allowed to rap.
Re: "The Beginner’s Guide” How To Rap By Modenine by CLIQBOY(m): 11:41pm On May 02, 2013
caukerzee: Olamide is one of those people who shouldn't be allowed to rap.
your chain size scarce for market

(1) (Reply)

Naija Playlist Chant Battle Competition / 50 Cent - "Still Think Im Nothing" Feat Jeremih (Official Video) - TI50 / Obj,s (ex-president Obasonjo) Grandson Turns Gangster Rappar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.