Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges (45719 Views)

See The Hilarious Text I Received From Etisalat / Hilarious Message Received From Etisalat. (screen Shot) / 2gb Free Data From Etisalat. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Slyr0x: 1:06pm On Apr 24, 2013
Who Really Ported Our Saka? The Guy Who Created The Character Speaks (READ)

Well, as a Professional, I wouldn’t want to respond to the Saka menace going on in town but then I keep getting emails upon emails from students, clients, fans and friends. People keep asking me several questions; why on earth did Saka port?

Relatedly, I went for a Strategic meeting with the Executive Board Members of a renowned bank, and the story came up again. In fact, they played the commercial and applauded the sheer brilliance of MTN. I actually heard one of the Excos saying ‘I’m going to port immediately.’ So I asked them: what worked for you in the commercial? Majority of them said ‘we just love this Saka man’

There’s nothing as powerful as that cultural connection and that humanness factor we display as brands. As I watch from a distance the recent Saka phenomenon I can only bow to this timeless advertising principle. Culture eats Strategy for breakfast. Hats off.

As the Creative Director who was privileged to have created the iconic Saka for advertising, I watch as this device takes on a life of its own and how it is gradually becoming a major case study in the history of Nigeria’s advertising. However, before I go to major brand lessons this should teach us, I shall quickly correct some insinuations flying round in our ad circle. Ad people can be their own worst enemies. Don’t take my words for it. Go see Mad Men. However, it’s good to have a first person point of view to this saga.

For the record.

First, Saka was not a celebrity used for etisalat. Rather, he was a character we at Centrespread designed for an ad campaign that has come to take on a life of its own. When we did create the character bible, we needed a talent that could act the role and he came in for the casting like any other person. Looking at the screen test later on, we had no doubt that Saka was the man we were looking for. You must give credits to etisalat to have approved of our direction and choice. It really was not their ‘type’ of advertising. So, it was not a case of celebrity endorsement, it was a case of characterization. In Wendy’s ‘where is the beef’, the miniature old lady has become a phenomenon because of her characterization and Wendy wouldn’t dare joke with that.

Secondly, we must also quickly correct the impression that the ‘funny’ man was looking for money, hence porting to MTN. While it is a fact that all of us on this planet would want to be better paid for our talent, I know personally, that Saka gave his very best to us on etisalat’s campaign. He was not signed on a contract. He was paid like any other 3-month model arrangement. He was not paid the proverbial gbem. For the brand then, it was more of a tactical usage. He didn’t fit their typical advertising look and feel. Remember etisalat is the hip, classy and swag brand. Like I said earlier, we must credit them to have approved of the Saka idea in the first place. Although it was beginning to look like this was a devise that etisalat could own, going by the results it generated, Saka was treated like any other cast. I am very sure Banky W got more handsomely paid than our beloved Saka. Far far. But where is Banky W today? He ported also. That is what you can refer to as celebrity usage. Saka was not treated as such.

The author Kenny Brandmuse is the creator of the popular Saka character in telecom television commercials. He is with the Orange Academy in Lagos

http://kennybrandmuse..co.uk/2013/04/mtn-vs-etisalat-who-really-ported-our.html

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by tinuolababy(f): 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2013
Hmmm....
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Lilimax(f): 2:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
This explanation has satified my curiosity on the Saka saga and I hope it did in the mind of many Nigerians that have been thinking about this Saka issue.

4 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by miqos02(m): 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
ok
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by SlyIg(f): 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
The mosquito perches where it feels comfortable. That's life for you.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by yusuf01(m): 6:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
Now etisalat will value his character I believe. MTN played nicely on their 'slackness' to generate this buzz the ad is getting.

Though lots of people don't like MTN's network (myself inclusive) but lots will port just because of this ad.

MTN are known for quality ads (do you still remember the ad of the two couples dancing and that of the executive speech read out by a child to her dad?) but their network is trash...

6 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
now i can stop thinking why he did that!Good for etisalat grin grin grin grin

i actually want etisalat to sue mtn but from what i've read now, they can go to hell undecided undecided undecided

saka,please port as much as you want jare kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 24, 2013

15 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Aritobo: 8:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
how dis one take find job me ? mtcheeeeeee

3 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by oseiwe(m): 9:13pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wat I saw was Saka wearing etisalat green b4 porting to MTN yellow. U no see d way he take dance? Etisalat no gree give am tablet, MTN give am syrup.

7 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by dont8(m): 9:33pm On Apr 24, 2013
Interesting, most people have started hating the person and personality
of Saka; but with this, he's been forgiven cool

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by 2NDACCT(f): 9:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
N.P - I DON PORT OOOHH..I DON PORT OOH

5 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
Very stewpid move by etisalat.

2 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by kevoh(m): 9:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
Who cares? What matters to me is that the dude made some millions out of this whole saga that alone makes me happy for him!

11 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Chanchit: 9:57pm On Apr 24, 2013
But truth be told, Etisalat would feel like a dumped boyfriend now sha. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by myweb(m): 9:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
WONDERFUL...IT'S OKAY SHA

NEED ATTENTION OF A CUTE AND CLASSICAL BABE, GET IT HERE: http://naijachickmagnet.naijamoneymaker.com/ cool cool
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by gilgal7(f): 9:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
the power of money...this explain abt 95% of naija girls characters.....lol

2 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by ninja4life(m): 10:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wow me no understand all dis o or na so i dull reach

20 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:02pm On Apr 24, 2013
saka hammer now people are claiming glory

KNOW ME WHEN AM POOR..BUT NOT WHENA I AM RICH U CLAIM RELATIONSHIP grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by DAMIGHT(m): 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2013
GOD Dat ANSWERETH SAKA's PRAYER ,,,dnt 4Get me ooo....Na only Him ? IF Na U ...u No Go port ? ...........

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Bishop4bella(m): 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2013
U ar on d run jorh. Gbam

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by pekelepekele(m): 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2013
Celebrity work na ashewo work nah . If MTN pay saka pass etisalat why won't he go there
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2013
Ok, thanks for the grammar.
But, SAKA ported! Yes or no?
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by magnificentsk(m): 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
What is port is it a short form of port -hacourt grin

9 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by casestudy: 10:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
pls can somebody post the video links of the two adverts pleeeeeeeeeeeease??
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:06pm On Apr 24, 2013
Okay, I don hear.
But what comes into my mind when I see that green colour changing to yellow in that ad is 'from etisalat/glo to MTN'. They could v used a diff colour.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by ichommy(m): 10:06pm On Apr 24, 2013
It is well o

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by adezzy01(m): 10:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
oga lif story eti fkup mtn was sharp saka mor money4him i no blam jor....
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by bory09(m): 10:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
Before nko? Una think say saka na su wegbe wey go see money and go dey die for a brand wey don sha (expire). All the story saka just write there na normal essay stuff. To cut the long story short saka left etisalat because of money the same way a typical nigerian do. Money influence our talent and performance so what big deal about it. I beg ride on mr saka and remember them to contemplate on why banky left etisalat after such money he gained from them.

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Ayomax(m): 10:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
its da other way round for me. I'm porting to etisalat frm mtn

2 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by smartpero(m): 10:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
saka nw on mtn Even though d network is trash... I hav 2 search my drawer 4 my old nd 4goten mtn sim... LOOL.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Connoisseur(m): 10:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
[quote author=SLIDE waxie]Ok, thanks for the grammar.
But, SAKA ported! Yes or no?[/quote

lol
but from hexplanation, saka did not port. the man behind the character did

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Buying An Andriod Tablet Or An Ipad Is Just A Waste Of Money! / How To Use Glo Bis On Android Without Changing Imei / German Student Invents Phone Casing With Pops Out Legs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.