Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,483 members, 7,801,222 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (41916 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 27, 2013
Feminism and Nigeria in the same sentence? That would be a dream come true.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 27, 2013
CFCfan: Feminism and Nigeria in the same sentence? That would be a dream come true.

Nigeria is feminist country, in case you dont know.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

Nigeria is feminist country, in case you dont know.

How? Pls, I'm a learner.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 27, 2013
CFCfan:

How? Pls, I'm a learner.

We have a female minister of finance and a first lady.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

Is this supposed to be a joke?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

How is that feminism ? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 27, 2013
ItsModella:
Is this supposed to be a joke?

No.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 27, 2013
adaobi123:

How is that feminism ? undecided undecided

Women in power, authority and control.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

Forreal ? Nigeria is far from being a feminist country.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by chei: 8:39am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

LMAO

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

What? Did you watch the video at all or did you just decide to make a random comment based on the title of the thread/video?

Your comment has nothing to do with what her main point is.

And the part about Nigeria being a feminist country simply because we have a first lady is utterly laughable.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:42am On Jun 27, 2013
Tolexander: Ti gbogbo araye ba di oloro, tani yi o ma ke yeparipa(if the whole deity worshippers start casting prayer to the deity, who will be responding yeparipa)?

Or if the christians start shouting in Jesus name, who will be saying amen?

Better we have the feminists and masculinists!
feminism is jes shere stupidity to me, and nothing but hypocrisy in it's shameless epitome!

Anywhere u go, they claim 'ladies first'

If a guy slaps a woman, they say 'violence against women'

If she is ur gf, u will by the weaves and wigs!

If u marry her, it is ur responsibly to pay d bills.

If u file for divorce, the woman gets paid!

If she files for divorce, she still gets paid!!!

U ask a lady boxer to grab the stage, people will boo u!

She ask u to grab the stage and u agree, they will still boo you!

First these people shld accept that:

1. boobz are jes overgrown chest, and they shld go bare in public wen there is heat.

2. they shld be able to see to the expenses wen i dnt feel like

3. Pay up child suport and divorce settlement more often

And so on!

Hypocritical beings!

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by ektbear: 8:42am On Jun 27, 2013
Let us join hands and say NO to the following evils that plague humanity:

1. Racism
2. Sexism
3. Feminism

Together, we can make the world a better place.

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 27, 2013
adaobi123:

Forreal ? Nigeria is far from being a feminist country.

We are. More reasons-
* There are more women in the Nigerian labour force than men
* More females in tertiary instutions than male
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:48am On Jun 27, 2013
Ok, I take it that half of you guys did not watch the video. Y'all just saw the word feminism and jumped the gun.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 27, 2013
ItsModella:
What? Did you watch the video at all or did you just decide to make a random comment based on the title of the thread/video?

Your comment has nothing to do with what her main point is.

And the part about Nigeria being a feminist country simply because we have a first lady is utterly laughable.

Do I need to watch the video to know what she has to say. I already know she has to say and wants to say..
Nigerian women have rights (as mucg as men) under the Nigerian constitution, unless their are special rights that you wish were accorded to women.
Are there any rights who wish women had in Nigeria that they don't currently have? Please do elaborate on them. . .

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 27, 2013
ekt_bear: Let us join hands and say NO to the following evils that plague humanity:

1. Racism
2. Feminism

Together, we can make the world a better place.

[/color]May the GODS HEAR YOU

femisnis esp , it is devil . that woman should apologize for proposing us to become the agents of the devil.

SAVE THE WORLD, SAY NO TO FEMINISM
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 27, 2013
lorretta u: I'm surprised this very interesting topic has such low number of followership.shows how much our mne aren't ready to accept women as equals.
Sad
How can we (men) accept women as equals when most of u (women) off load ur burdens/needs on us to carry? So u see,there is no way we can be equals when most of u (ladies) always hunt 4 a man/men dat will take care of u and not a man/men dat u will take care of.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

We are. More reasons-
* There are more women in the Nigerian labour force than men
* More females in tertiary instutions than male

So if there are more women in a certain field that makes the country feminist ?

IMO Nigeria will never be a feminist country (well not in my generation)
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by ektbear: 8:58am On Jun 27, 2013
ItsModella: Ok, I take it that half of you guys did not watch the video. Y'all just saw the word feminism and jumped the gun.

Exactly. Ain't nobody got time for feminist videos!

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 27, 2013
adaobi123:

So if there are more women in a certain field that makes the country feminist ?

IMO Nigeria will never be a feminist country (well not in my generation)

So what exactly is a feminist country?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

Do I need to watch the video to know what she has to say. I already know she has to say and wants to say..
Nigerian women have rights (as mucg as men) under the Nigerian constitution, unless their are special rights that you wish were accorded to women.
Are there any rights who wish women had in Nigeria that they don't currently have? Please do elaborate on them. . .
hahahaha!! Wtf? At the beginning of the video, she mentioned that what she means by feminism is different from the popular idea or notion of feminism. Basically, she's speaking more from a cultural perspective than a legal/constitutional perspective as you're making it seem. Seriously, watch the video and stop making unrelated and laughable comments.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 27, 2013
ItsModella:
hahahaha!! Wtf? At the beginning of the video, she mentioned that what she means by feminism is different from the popular idea or notion of feminism. Basically, she's speaking more from a cultural perspective than a legal/constitutional perspective as you're making it seem. Seriously, watch the video and stop making unrelated and laughable comments.

Same ol' stuff they always say. I'll watch the video anyway but in the meantime, you can still answer my question you can.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 9:43am On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

1000 Likes
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by PHIPEX(m): 10:45am On Jun 27, 2013
A brilliant presentation judging from the perpective of a social crusader but what I don't get yet is if there is a limit to this theory of equality of sexes. Nigeria is a highly religious society and the 3 dominant religions(Christianity, Islam and Pegans) are not in support of absolute equality of gender. From the Biblical perspective, God said while placing a curse on Eve that she shall be subject to the wishes of the Man. If we juxtapose religious doctrines which we follow with the current drive for equality we'll realise that absolute equality of gender is very hard to sell. I recognise that the aspects of these gender role expectations that are more social than religious can be alterered but the message of absolute equality may not sell even in the next century.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:13pm On Jun 27, 2013
Adaobi Feminist shocked shocked
Adaobi kwa grin

I thought you'd be " childrenist" grin
Or "young adultist" grin grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
toshmann: Adaobi Feminist shocked shocked
Adaobi kwa grin

I thought you'd be " childrenist" grin
Or "young adultist" grin grin

undecided tongue

Im not a feminist
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:31pm On Jun 27, 2013
adaobi123:

undecided tongue

Im not a feminist

Ok cheesy

Thanks for NOT being a feminist smiley
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2013
J12:

I can bet you wouldn't get a straight answer for this question grin

ItsModella:

@J12
I told you you won't get a straight answer grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:53pm On Jun 27, 2013
PHIPEX: A brilliant presentation judging from the perpective of a social crusader but what I don't get yet is if there is a limit to this theory of equality of sexes. Nigeria is a highly religious society and the 3 dominant religions(Christianity, Islam and Pegans) are not in support of absolute equality of gender. From the Biblical perspective, God said while placing a curse on Eve that she shall be subject to the wishes of the Man. If we juxtapose religious doctrines which we follow with the current drive for equality we'll realise that absolute equality of gender is very hard to sell. I recognise that the aspects of these gender role expectations that are more social than religious can be alterered but the message of absolute equality may not sell even in the next century.

I see it differently. Women and men are made to complement each other. Not to compete with each other. Women carry the pregnancy, men take care of the pregnant women etc

Feminist just want to disorganized social order. I marry a woman, I love her. She can cook, so she cooks. Is she complaining? Why would a feminist be upset about that? If she's tired I don't bother her, we eat outside. If the door man decides to thank me and not her, is that enough reason to go to war? Is that the biggest problem in their life? The kind of problems I have now, I won't even notice who's greeting who.

Women just want to be men. They want trousers, now they have it, they want to be soldiers, now they have it. The want to be politicians, now they have it. They want us to cook for them, well my ex wife banned me from entering the kitchen after I "cooked" one day for her grin

A man can have 50 girlfriends and boast of it, feminist would want society to "allow" girls to be as loose as men. But estrogen ain't the same as testosterone. Men can mess around and still get good girls, feminist want women to be able to mess around without shame like men. Guess what feminists, you're free to mess around too but you can't force the rest of the world to admire a girl with 50boyfriends the way a guy with 50 boyfriends may be admired.

Finally, let me say, women have rights which must be obeyed. Those rights are human rights. Domestic violence and R.ape are unacceptable and it's not a feminist issue but a human rights issue.

Women have a right to education, employment, free speech, equal protection under the law. What do feminists want? Even the regular sex-x that was created by God who in his infinite wisdom and magnanimity arranged the reproductive organs such that a man will be on top in bed, women have change it so that they can be on top. I dated a girl in Nigeria whom I never slept with in the normal way, she always insisted on being on top. Always.

What do feminists want?

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2013
toshmann:

I can bet you wouldn't get a straight answer for this question grin

@J12
I told you you won't get a straight answer grin
undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply)

Femi Fani-kayode: 'Nigeria Will Break Into 2 Or More Pieces In The Next 5 Years / Saraki Gives 4 SUVs To 4 High Chiefs In Ilorin (Photos) / Throwback Photo Of Abba Kyari As A Cadet At The Nigeria Police Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.