Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,212 members, 7,807,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (147989 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:31am On Aug 09, 2013
-Cut out after marking.
-also cut the center piece into two:this is where you insert your zip.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:37am On Aug 09, 2013
So for the back, you have 4 pieces.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:38am On Aug 09, 2013
The band:
In cutting the band, NEVER cut it straight but on the cross grain or bias or else it wouldn't sit well as it should.
1.Position your fabric on the bias as you can see from the photo
2.Measure and Cut out your waistline or underbust depending on where you want the band to begin.
(Don't forget seam allowance)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:48am On Aug 09, 2013
Mark out the width of the band, I used 4" cos I want a 3" band (half an inch above and below for joining seam allowance)
-cut out

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:51am On Aug 09, 2013
Fold in two, place on the cross grain again (this is for the back band)
-leave out your zip allowance at the edge (remember I'm using a 1.5" zip allowance)
Cut out

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:54am On Aug 09, 2013
-Cut double pieces for the band to act as a lining, I prefer to use the same fabric as lining as against actual lining.
-apply fabric stay to your band pieces.

Next we shape the back, apply interfacing, and insert the band..and then my work is done!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:22am On Aug 09, 2013
jadareese: Errrm....@onari ,d first piece u posted I assume is jus for d front bodice abi? bt goin by ur calc,d piece is enough to go round d circumference.since its jus d front bodice r we nt supposed to divide by 4 instead of 2 cos m havin so much excess frm dis front alone(tryin to be conservative here though!!)

Post your measurements let me see 'em. What you have shouldn't be able to go round the whole circumference. Note that we working with the front bodice folded in 2.
Based on the calculations from my measurements, I have approximately 24", that definitely cannot go round me as my bustline isn't 24"!

NOTE: for the back bodice,I made my fabric wider at the sides to make it more visible for tutorial purposes, I'm going to have to trim it up before shapening cos it's excess.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by tinamba: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2013
Hmm! Words can't express how I feel about what I'm seeing. You all are doing great.Efosaval I love your free spirit and teachings.keep it up.
Onnari,you should open a fashion school or write a book or something really,your techniques are very smart,clear,easy to understand and oh so concise. I actually just registered on nairaland because of you -to get my message across although I have been following this thread as a guest. You're talented dear can't wait to see your next post.
I'm no homo o! Lol!
PS. Forget about picture quality biko! The koko is in the process and that we see it at all and then, understand! Love ya!

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 8:30am On Aug 09, 2013
onnari :
-Cut out after marking.
-also cut the center piece into two:this is where you insert your zip.
If you want to use a side zip, there's no need to cut your back centre piece into two.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:37am On Aug 09, 2013
Mak'sjoy:

If you want to use a side zip, there's no need to cut your back centre piece into two.

Obviously- but I'm not using a side zip. The orla kiely dress has got a back zip. So if a side zip is preferd by u, u can use a side zip and then you wouldn't have to cut the center back in two. Note that its always better to cut the back in2 back zip or no zip anyway ( there's a way to go about it as you don't just cut a straight line)this gives a better fit as we did for the sika wrap dress. Also check out some dresses and jackets and you'll see a joining seam at the back . It's just for fit purposes. So back zip or no,its advisable to do that.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:38am On Aug 09, 2013
tina mba: Hmm! Words can't express how I feel about what I'm seeing. You all are doing great.Efosaval I love your free spirit and teachings.keep it up.
Onnari,you should open a fashion school or write a book or something really,your techniques are very smart,clear,easy to understand and oh so concise. I actually just registered on nairaland because of you -to get my message across although I have been following this thread as a guest. You're talented dear can't wait to see your next post.
I'm no homo o! Lol!
PS. Forget about picture quality biko! The koko is in the process and that we see it at all and then, understand! Love ya!

Thanks dear. Appreciate u. *hugs*
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 9:05am On Aug 09, 2013
I want to believe we are done making the top (blouse), middle (band) and bottom (skirt) parts.
Next, join the top front with the front band using yr 1" allowance, do likewise for back pieces, (remember d back pieces are stil separate, or not, depending where you want to fix your zip). If back pieces are separate, pin together, using your zip allowance.
Then, join your front top to the back top, using your bust, empire, and waist measures. Now you have a single top, all joined together.
The bottom (skirt can now come in). Join skirt to top using your predetermined allowance, from zip allowance at the back, through the front all the way to the back again. You have in your hands now, a gown, an open gown.
Now, close up the gown, by joining at the back, from the bottom of the gown, to the point where your zip should stop, that is, slight below your tail bone. ( on the raise of your bottom, about 3" or 4" below your band.) Remember to backstitch to lock your sewing. Now you have a half open gown, open from the top (neckline) behind.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 9:09am On Aug 09, 2013
Sorry, i don't hav pictures yet, i hav not started wok on ky own gown yet. But, I'll post my wok in progress pics ASA i start.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 9:36am On Aug 09, 2013
Now, insert your zip, from the tip of your back neckline. You have a completed gown now, but, not your completed Orla Keily gown yet! On the front part of the gown, using tour needle and matching thread, attach your buttons, on the band, directly beneath your darts. As shown on the Orla Keily gown pic. And, voila! You have your own version of the Orla Keily gown to rock!
Congratulations ladies!
@Efosaval, @Onnari, WELDONE!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 10:12am On Aug 09, 2013
Mak'sjoy:

@Mak'sjoy, I was about to ask if I need to cut my back piece into two because I'm fixing my zipper by the side. Thanks a lot.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:18am On Aug 09, 2013
Mak'sjoy:
Now, insert your zip, from the tip of your back neckline. You have a completed gown now, but, not your completed Orla Keily gown yet! On the front part of the gown, using tour needle and matching thread, attach your buttons, on the band, directly beneath your darts. As shown on the Orla Keily gown pic. And, voila! You have your own version of the Orla Keily gown to rock!
Congratulations ladies!
@Efosaval, @Onnari, WELDONE!

Thanks dear, but we aren't through with the front/back bodice yet and haven't even joined to the band yet :-) and seeing that you're yet to upload pics, you see another reason to wait
I know all the waiting can be tiring , we're almost done.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 10:19am On Aug 09, 2013
onnari :

From the center to the joining seam cut in a straight line, from the joining seam outwards, slant upwards half an inch frm the bottom

Thanks, I get it now. Pls what is the lenght of your bodice?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:21am On Aug 09, 2013
wizb:

@Mak'sjoy, I was about to ask if I need to cut my back piece into two because I'm fixing my zipper by the side. Thanks a lot.

No you don't need to cut the back if you doing a side zip- though you might still need to cut it for better fit (the way you see some joining seams @ the center back of jackets, and some dresses.) *we did this for the sika dress,the back had 4 pieces* Note that this is optional but if you want to,let me knw and I'l show you how otherwise you can leave it @ a one piece.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 11:28am On Aug 09, 2013
Marksjoy we are waiting for pictures embarassed as we are visual learners.
Efosa, your explanation was wonderful please can you share your method of cutting the back bodice as well....pretty please.
Onnari....cyber hug for your commitment to this thread.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 11:32am On Aug 09, 2013
onnari :

No you don't need to cut the back if you doing a side zip- though you might still need to cut it for better fit (the way you see some joining seams @ the center back of jackets, and some dresses.) *we did this for the sika dress,the back had 4 pieces* Note that this is optional but if you want to,let me knw and I'l show you how otherwise you can leave it @ a one piece.

Thanks Onnari. Please show me how to cut the back piece into four.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 11:34am On Aug 09, 2013
One more question...onnari will you be taking us through cutting and attaching neck facing and armhole facing?
Also how are you finishing your inside seams? My fabric frays ....how can I protect it if I don't use lining?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 11:49am On Aug 09, 2013
@Wizb, u'r welcom.

onnari :
-Next we shape the back, apply interfacing, and insert the band..and then my work is done!

EFOSA VAL: Placing all together my out fit is almost ready wink

Over to the next instructor,my skirt part is done smiley
I hope it was clear enough.......if not just ask any qestions i will be happy to go over it again
@Onnari, i was handed d baton.
@Yodiyokun, I'll post my pics asap.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Mak'sjoy:
@Wizb, u'r welcom.

@Onnari, i was handed d baton.
@Yodiyokun, I'll post my pics asap.

No dear- I'm don't done, I wrote that we'd be doing the facings and shapening next so it isn't complete yet, and efosa would put participants through on sewing the complete skirt parts asides the cutting. Ur part then comes when you join bodice to skirt.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
wizb:

Thanks Onnari. Please show me how to cut the back piece into four.

Sure- Would do that tonight.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
EFOSA VAL: Placing all together my out fit is almost ready wink

Over to the next instructor,my skirt part is done smiley
I hope it was clear enough.......if not just ask any qestions i will be happy to go over it again

Pls o dearie don't run just yet! Pls put participants through the sewing of the skirts, gathers etc. Thnx ur doing grrreeeeeeat!! *hugs*
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:23pm On Aug 09, 2013
yodiyokun: One more question...onnari will you be taking us through cutting and attaching neck facing and armhole facing?
Also how are you finishing your inside seams? My fabric frays ....how can I protect it if I don't use lining?

Yes I would. To finish I'm using an overlock machine. If you don't have that, you can use zig zag stitches
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 7:41pm On Aug 09, 2013
What measurements are you working with? Post
your bust, and waist measurements.

I'm workin wt dis; bust: 38.5/38/35.5
waist:39
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 11:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
@Efosa and onnari, pls I'm still waiting for the back bodice illustrations. Thanx for all ur efforts so far.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 6:39am On Aug 10, 2013
undecided@ Efosa pls for d skirt I have 56inches left frm my material and my waist is 35 same as urs..wat wil I do. I gues I wil do only pleatns or wat
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by zaliya(f): 12:36pm On Aug 10, 2013
Thanks Onnari and Efosa-Val. Am enjoying the Orla Kiely yellow dress tutorial. I googled the dress.It actually worths $285. here is the back veiw

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 1:09pm On Aug 10, 2013
Front piece of skirt
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 1:16pm On Aug 10, 2013
Back piece of skirt.

@Efosa, Mak'sJoy and Onnari, thank you so much.

@Onnari, please I'm waiting for the bodice back piece. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.