Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,770 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (147975 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:55am On May 25, 2013
@zaliya - no that was meant for the back piece only i.e gathers allowance and not wrap allowance; for the frontal pieces, I made the wrap allowance as you can see from the photos. Hope it's clear now?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:52am On May 25, 2013
zaliya: 2. From the margin, make a cone, the bottom being your waistline. Here, I’m using a waistline of 26'',(i.e. 13'' each for front and back, excluding wrap overlap allowances) so the waistline marked out is 38''. Note that we are starting out with the back of the skirt so only 13'' in required asides seam allowances.

Thank you Onnari. Really glad for this thread. Keep it up.
You added an extra 12" to the 26" making it 38". Is this because of the gathers? or is it for the extra wrap peice?

@zaliya - no that was meant for the back piece only i.e gathers allowance and not wrap allowance; for the frontal pieces, I made the wrap allowance as you can see from the photos. Hope it's clear now?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:00am On May 25, 2013
So I just posted the third item on the schedule on the blog and pasting here as well:
1. Following the princess seam tutorial as seen here, cut out yours according to your body measurements.
2. get your fabric stay
3. apply and fuse

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:04am On May 25, 2013
4. sew the fused pieces of your bodice together
5. iron out using a tailor's ham or if you can, on your sewing table just try not to flatten the princess curve

(notice the cup-like curve in the third pic? that would accentuate your bustline perfectly *wink*)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:10am On May 25, 2013
6. For the back bodice - follow same instructions from the princess seam tutorial, only, insert a middle seam down the center back for better structure like so... as you can see, it isn't a straight line - use the same technique you used while making your princess seams beginning with half an inch from the bottom, beveling towards the apex and above in a gentle curve.
7. notch the center top

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:11am On May 25, 2013
8. after cutting out your back bodice, pin together and sew from bottom upwards (you can also fuse with fabric stay if you want)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:12am On May 25, 2013
Here is what it looks like ironed and folded in two. i.e. the back bodice

watch this space for the next post....

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 5:28pm On May 25, 2013
Please how do i cut the neckline and armhole? How many inches do i add to my waist and bust for the front bodice pieces? Thanks.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:32pm On May 25, 2013
@wizb – I noticed alot of people on this thread aren't actually reading! If you read through the schedule, you’d see that the shaping of the bodice comes after the princess seams and all so is why I haven’t put that up yet, however that doesn't stop you from making yours if you want to
In determining the length of fabric for your princess curve, determine the length of your bodice,(but reduce by an inch or two as this would give a better fit), add about 12 inches to your BUST (if your bust is bigger than ur waist as u r to use your widest width e.g if your makn a princess curve for a dress, u should use ur hips if that is ur widest area, etc) So, if your bust is 34’’, when folded you should have 23’’ of fabric as the width and then lengthwise, your bodice length. Hope that was helpful?lemme knw if you aren't clear.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Loskee(f): 9:45pm On May 25, 2013
Onnari, I think people are actually reading. Maybe it's because its a lot of info so we may be unconsciously forgetting some things along the way.
Pls do keep up the good work of teaching the world to sew.
Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:59pm On May 25, 2013
Alright dear- though I wasn referring to wizb in particular, it's just ppl send mails from here,asking bout the posts and arrangements of the instructions, n it so happens d@ all th@ is included in the schedule I posted on the first page :-(
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:44am On May 26, 2013
Kai i don miss o,i didnt think i would be this busy now.so sorry guys for not posting my own.i am preaching about fashion designing to others thats why,was on NTA network about 2weeks ago to talk about fashion on E-extral,2days ago i was on Rhythm 93.7 with Omalich also to talk fashion,next up will be wazobia FM,Channels STV ONTV etc so pls just bear with me,nor be say i run o.

pics 1,me and G-ben of NTA E-extra show
Pics 2,me and Omalich of Rhythm 93.7fm

Onnari.............big ups to you dear,i like the detailed explanation you give dear good job.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by sima(f): 5:42am On May 26, 2013
Chie! It's during times like this i wish i knew how to sew cry cry cry sad
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:09am On May 26, 2013
sima: Chie! It's during times like this i wish i knew how to sew cry cry cry sad

Awwwww sweety it will happen,you just keep at it......wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:15pm On May 26, 2013
happy sunday all! quuuick post- belts and underlining.
please view the belt process here http://thatssewnaija..com/2013/05/sika-scope-wrap-dress-sew-along-4.html and for the underlinning...
1. here, I got two yards (a yard is made up of 36'') of cotton underlining. I folded in two halves, making four folds....

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:16pm On May 26, 2013
Depending on your waist measurements and how full you want your underlinning, make a 'waistline' in form of a circle as we are actually creating a circle skirt. I'm using a waistline of 26'' and so made a 9'' cone from the center of the fold.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:17pm On May 26, 2013
cut that out, mark out the length of your underlining This could be about 3 or 4'' shorter than your actual skirt length.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:18pm On May 26, 2013
that was our circle skirt spread open but folded into a semi circle so in actuality, we got a 360 degree circle when spread open. here it is in a quarter of a circle.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:19pm On May 26, 2013
make your marking for your tulle addition. I used a 5'' mark from my waistline...

align your gathered tulle with your markings...

sew...

and that's that for the skirt underlining. watch this space for the bodice underlining.

ciao!
PS: for shaping the bodice go to http://www.thatssewnaija..com/2013/05/sika-scope-wrap-dress-sew-along-6.html just made a rush post on that. see you much later..:-)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:02pm On May 26, 2013
Nice cheesy........this week my own project must land here.but would like to make mine as a top so that i can wear it with a pair of jeans later coz am not a dress person wink would still look cool I bet kiss

NB- I gave some of my students the project to tryout, and this is what one of them made.she added some changes to the style such as the neck line with collar and the lenght,she made one as a dress and the other as a top.also on the dress at the waist line instead of gathers she used pleats...its suits her well don't you think? cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by zaliya(f): 8:52pm On May 27, 2013
@Efosa-Val. Am loving these. They are beautiful.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:18pm On May 29, 2013
@ efosaval- she did a gud job, lovely!
Now wr r all the other participants
U guys r being too quiet o!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 2:19pm On May 29, 2013
Hello all...just wanna start my own tulle dress ohhh...@Onari thanks for d tutorials..but is it d normal linning w use for native dress dt wuld b used..
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:34pm On May 29, 2013
@favour- it dpends on what u refer to 'normal'...use cotton linning(not Poplin). Silk linning is heat inducing...
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:17pm On May 29, 2013
onnari :
@wizb: using 14" wouldn't be adviceable as u would have little to make your gathers with unless you aren't looking to do a gathered dress and want to just work with the flare and tulle. I would suggest you use 18" from the tip. Mark it out like you are working with a pencil and compass just like in maths class lol! I.e hold down the tape head to the fabric tip(you wld begin at the edge of the fabric so you actually begin at a 45 degree angle), using 18" would leave you with about 38" which is cool considering your waistline is 28" and you only need 14" excluding seam allowance for the back piece.
I don't understand dis part I m stuck here ..my waist is 34 so dt makes it 17 wn divided into half..what measurements will I use
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:22pm On May 29, 2013
Somebody help ohhh..afta cutting d back piece,am I cuttn exact piece wn I place on d material for d front piece .. I can't upload piece saying too large
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 3:31pm On May 29, 2013
No dear- seeing d@ ts a wrap dress, make a wrap allowance in front with 4''. So you place ur back piece on d 4'' mark I.e 4'' frm the center of ur front piece. Pls try to edit ur pics by resizing so dey become smaller for u to upload. Wld like to have a look
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:39pm On May 29, 2013
onnari :
No dear- seeing d@ ts a wrap dress, make a wrap allowance in front with 4''. So you place ur back piece on d 4'' mark I.e 4'' frm the center of ur front piece. Pls try to edit ur pics by resizing so dey become smaller for u to upload. Wld like to have a look
Ohhhk thanks I ve got that..but u ve nt explained wat my waist measurement wil be..for d bak pice.wat I did was divid my waist into 2 I.e 34 by 2 17 nd mesure on d my material for waist measure is it correct?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:49pm On May 29, 2013
The pics
1 my waist measuremenyt 17 divided into 2
2.D length of my gathers dress 25

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 3:58pm On May 29, 2013
yes u'r right. but add seam allowance i.e 1'' or even 1.5'' n f0r d frnt,u'l have 14'' f0r each piece (i calculated with 1'' seam all0wance)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by girlsupersonic(f): 4:08pm On May 29, 2013
Thanks onnari, I tot that was d sew along thread. To think I was busy looking for my post here cheesy
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:01am On May 31, 2013
Nice work favour,its looking good already wink
And to others,oyaaaaaa ooooooo! grin lets see your post soon too.

So like i said before,mine will have a little twist for so many reasons.
1,i dont wear dresses often,so i would rather make a top.
2,i also have limited fabric to work with now.2yards plus.
3,i dont want to wait till i get more fabric because that might delay my post.

So ankara top it is then. Now the whole process is the same as onaari had earlier explained.
the only difference in mine is in the lenght of the under-skirt ,mine is shot .
Also the way i cut my under-skirt area,mine is cut on a straight line not on flear or circle ( grin coz i dey manage the cloth)
I do not need net under mine since its a top.

My measurements
Back- 14
Neck-8
Bust-41
Waist-36
Half lenght-16( front and back bodies)
Full lenght -30(of the top)

Cutting process.
My front cut bodies is in 4 pieces
My back bodies is in 2pieces
My under-skirt,is in 1 long piece.
I also cut out my belt
(I might add a little sleeve too coz i dont like showing my arms,its just my choise thou, cheesy)

Pre-sewing/Sewing process.
1, I shall add airstay to the front and back cut of my main fabric as well as the lining buy ironing the airstay on them
2, then start my sewing.i will attach the main fabric to the lining.
3 add 2 lines for gathers on the under-skirt area, on one side ,then pull together
4, attach the front and back piece to the under-skirt piece and the blet
And voooooooala,! grin my top is ready.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.