Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo (6642 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Nigeria, US Sign MOU On 10,000MW Power Africa Initiative • Anambra Gets 1,500MW / Vision 20:2020 Not Realisable -United Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by frodobee: 10:29am On May 02, 2013
I just explained thos post to my granny and she replied 'o! Anugo m'.
We don already resign to fate. Alas when we shall have light again and some real fresh air.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by sofadj(m): 10:30am On May 02, 2013
Nebo seems like a honest dude. Doesn't give unnecessary hope.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ocelot2006(m): 10:34am On May 02, 2013
Prof Corruption:

You dey mind them? They would rather market lies than reality. Where is the electricity improvement now? What they called improvement was a seasonal rise in water level. It happens every year.

You do know that the bulk of the power generated comes from gas-powered plants, right? Else, care to explain how we were able to sustain 4500MW+ during the last dry season between the 4th and 1st qrts of 2012 and 2013 respectively, a period that saw a considerable drop in water levels at our dams? What's going to be the next excuse you'll pull out of your bum?
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ocelot2006(m): 10:38am On May 02, 2013
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the minister's statement as he's trying to be realistic. But I still believe that the target is achievable.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by juman(m): 10:40am On May 02, 2013
The federal government is perennial liar. Even the next year promise is not believable.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 10:54am On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva: We need more truthful people like Chinedu Nebo.

Yes i agree with you but u have not beenmtruthful and even in ur judgement , now first of all unban me.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Yes i agree with you but u have not beenmtruthful and even in ur judgement , now first of all unban me.
Lol. I don't get.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by akaOpene(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2013
It does not have to end with the Minister telling us that government cannot for the umpteenth time fulfill its promise.You also have to look into the issue of struggling Nigerians being exploited financially on a monthly basis for electricity that is not supplied by PHCN.Here in Onitsha,it is darkness galore for the inhabitants and we still pay the over estimated PHCN bills at the end of every month.I think that a responsible government should consider their citizens if they really desire to earn their trust and understanding.Until this is done,the ordinary citizen sees this government as one that is making them pay for government's inefficiency and greed.

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Abbott(m): 11:36am On May 02, 2013
What sorts of FOOLS are these?
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ddeola: 11:37am On May 02, 2013
I like ur honesty jare, leave ur oga at d top mk dem dey deceive demsefs grin grin grin
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Ikwerefistson: 12:50pm On May 02, 2013
Ricky_Ross:

Guy just shut up. I hate people that lie even from their ass. Yeah GEJ has his lapses, but nobody living in Nigeria will dispute the fact that electricity has greatly improved under GEJ administration. OBJ wasted 8 years and 18 billion US Dollars without adding a single kilowat. Learn to praise people when/where they are praise worthy.

GEJ is not perfect, but in the areas of electricity, infrastructure etc he has done better than his predecessors.
my bro on dis electricity i blame gej.wen barth was dia he performd beyond d expectatn of nijerans.infact he ws d best power minister snce independnce bt gej fail to realise dat instead he alowd hm 2be sacrificed on d alters of politics by d pepl dat dont lyk hm nd planted bad advices in oder 2 ridicule hm.prof nebo is gud bt needs tyme but tins woud hav improvd if barth was dia all along

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Image123(m): 1:18pm On May 02, 2013
why na so so bad news this minister com dey declare na? BTW, how many megawatts were we using in the 90s, seems light was better then.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 02, 2013
“As an engineer and knowing the realities on ground, we will achieve this by first quarter of 2014. We need time to achieve part of the target. We will get close to it, but the truth is that we cannot get 10,000mw by December,” he said.

It would have been of great help if Prof. Nebo had seized this opportunity to elaborate on what the specific challenges are. Is it that there are not enough hours in the day to work through some of thorny administrative issues which persist?. Or are we talking about engineering challenges such as the one depicted in the article copied in below?

Save this power project from collapse

Hopes that there may be bright light at the end of a long tortuous dark tunnel in the Northern parts of the country are fading, because the region’s biggest power plant will not come on stream as scheduled by 2014.

Reports suggest that the project, to which huge financial and other resources have been committed, has suffered a major setback caused apparently by shoddy planning.

According to these reports, the transportation of the seven remaining turbines from Onne Port in Rivers State to Kaduna, the home of the project, has been put off due to this.

The Kaduna project was envisaged to be a 215megawatt generating capacity, capable of feeding industries in wide swaths of the rejoin, thus freeing existing capacity for wider domestic coverage.

Contract for the project was awarded in November 2009 to General Electric and Rockson Engineering, with a December 2013 completion deadline.

But just when the contractors thought they had overcome a two-year difficulty in transporting the turbines with two special trucks imported for the purposes, new hurdles have arisen. The government had to repair, in some cases upgrade, sections of the road and reinforce the bridges on the route from Onne to Kaduna in order to withstand the weight of the consignment.

After the trucks made their first trip to Kaduna last March to deliver a part of the consignment, they broke down. The repairs and upgrading may not have been sufficient. The unusually heavy equipment took a heavy toll on the 950-kilometre stretch of road. Some sections of the road crumbled under the sheer weight of the equipment; because of that, road engineers have determined that the trucks and the heavy-duty equipment they carry may not be able to run on it smoothly again.

Obviously there is a problem. The remaining seven sets of the turbines are now trapped at the Onne Port and the contracting firms have insisted that there would be need to once again repair the road and reinforce the bridges with stronger and more durable materials before the remaining turbines can safely be transported to Kaduna.

The Kaduna plant is part of the government’s Independent Power Project initiative conceived as part of efforts to revive industries that folded up as a result of unstable power supply from the national grid. Its scope included manufacture and supply of eight General Electric Frame 5 Dual Fuel Gas Turbines from Italy and shipment to Nigeria, as well as the design, engineering, procurement of the balance of the plant, installation, construction, testing and coming on stream of the entire project.

When the contract was awarded in 2009, the planners appeared not to have taken the peculiar topography of the region and the nature of Nigerian roads into consideration.

It is as if the shipment of the turbines was planned without any thought to how they would be transported from Onne Port to Kaduna. This yawning gap in the feasibility aspect of the project was only discovered when the equipment arrived at the port in Onne, more than two years ago.

This is no time to wring hands or play the blame game.

The situation does not appear to be a technically-challenging one as the project’s handlers are making it out to be.
The contracting firms involved are internationally renowned multinationals, so it would not be asking for too much if the government should request that the heavy machineries be dismantled into easily transportable bits and taken to the site in Kaduna for reassembly.

If that procedure would mean additional cost, it would be a much better and cost-effective course of action to take than the long term option of reinforcing the roads and rebuilding bridges.

Source
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Darius2000: 1:33pm On May 02, 2013
akaOpene: It does not have to end with the Minister telling us that government cannot for the umpteenth time fulfill its promise.You also have to look into the issue of struggling Nigerians being exploited financially on a monthly basis for electricity that is not supplied by PHCN.Here in Onitsha,it is darkness galore for the inhabitants and we still pay the over estimated PHCN bills at the end of every month.I think that a responsible government should consider their citizens if they really desire to earn their trust and understanding.Until this is done,the ordinary citizen sees this government as one that is making them pay for government's inefficiency and greed.

We will never enjoy stable power as long as we continue paying for epileptic supply. NEPA doesn't have any reasons to up its supply, knowing fully well that the masses will pay even if there isn't power at all.

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ocelot2006(m): 1:35pm On May 02, 2013
Ikwere fist son: my bro on dis electricity i blame gej.wen barth was dia he performd beyond d expectatn of nijerans.infact he ws d best power minister snce independnce bt gej fail to realise dat instead he alowd hm 2be sacrificed on d alters of politics by d pepl dat dont lyk hm nd planted bad advices in oder 2 ridicule hm.prof nebo is gud bt needs tyme but tins woud hav improvd if barth was dia all along

Bros abeg get your facts straight. Barth NNaji was NOT sacrificed or fired, but resigned HONOURABLY because his firm was equally involved in bidding for one of the DISCOs. By resigning, his action ensured that investors concerns about transparency and bias in the whole privatizattion process was laid to rest once and for all.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by spartanian(m): 1:35pm On May 02, 2013
Every Nigerian home stands to win big with solar power. Solynta offers a complete range of Solar PV Power Systems to suit every household. Take a look at our range of packages to suit your home and business needs.
See link on my signature for more details
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ocelot2006(m): 1:44pm On May 02, 2013
AMvanquish: They should stop setting this target of a thing. Me feels they should just shut up and do their job! Targets that are always being pushed back for how many years now. Surprise us and get the job done instead giving false hope. And who isthat sying Power is better? Speak for yourself. Well, my generator doesn't let me down.

What sort of silly post is this? Don't you set targets for yourself? Don't you also hear of coys making various forcasts about their profits before laying out and implemting the various objectives that will aid them in achieving their goals?
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Goldenheart(m): 2:14pm On May 02, 2013
We all know whats going to happen next...
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by obi123: 2:17pm On May 02, 2013
Lilimax: These people are just chasing after shadows
Too bad angry angry

as in eh chasing pavements
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by obi123: 2:18pm On May 02, 2013
Goldenheart: We all know whats going to happen next...

what ? a committee set up ?
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by obi123: 2:22pm On May 02, 2013
there would sooner be a cure for aids and all the various types of cancer in the world and the lochness monster will be caught on video before this Nigeria's electricity problem would be sorted .

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by billante(m): 2:36pm On May 02, 2013
Not hitting 10000 MW by Dec doesn't mean there wont be a remarkable improvement of electricty supply by then....even if only 7500 MW can be generated and transmitted efficiently, all will sing halleluya to GEJ by then

7000-8000 MW of electricity efficiently transmitted and distributed by d grid with current demand will surely guarantee 24hrs of light maybe in 3 days before they might take it for an hour or two and it will come back again.

Present 4000MW gives about 12 hrs of light a double of it should give you the above scenario!
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by obongtunji: 3:01pm On May 02, 2013
Ricky_Ross:

Guy just shut up. I hate people that lie even from their ass. Yeah GEJ has his lapses, but nobody living in Nigeria will dispute the fact that electricity has greatly improved under GEJ administration. OBJ wasted 8 years and 18 billion US Dollars without adding a single kilowat. Learn to praise people when/where they are praise worthy.

GEJ is not perfect, but in the areas of electricity, infrastructure etc he has done better than his predecessors.

You are as clueless as your president. Check the record of the megawatt obj left and the megawatt available now. It might interest you to know that I used to have like 10-15hrs electricity in 24hrs before but now it has "improve" to 2-4hrs, what an improvement...........lop

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by akaOpene(m): 3:04pm On May 02, 2013
Darius2000:

We will never enjoy stable power as long as we continue paying for epileptic supply. NEPA doesn't have any reasons to up its supply, knowing fully well that the masses will pay even if there isn't power at all.

You are absolutely correct my brother.Government has to demonstrate its commitment to ameliorating the current sufferings of Nigerians in the hands of PHCN by ensuring that every Nigerian gets the prepaid meter at an affordable price.How does the minister want the citizens to reason with government when it is a win-win situation for government.Nebo's honesty can only be appreciated if he goes further to do what needs to be done to ensure that the monthly exploitation of Nigerians by PHCN by way of estimated billing or other unjust charges is stopped.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by IGBOSON1: 3:48pm On May 02, 2013
Ikwere fist son: my bro on dis electricity i blame gej.wen barth was dia he performd beyond d expectatn of nijerans.infact he ws d best power minister snce independnce bt gej fail to realise dat instead he alowd hm 2be sacrificed on d alters of politics by d pepl dat dont lyk hm nd planted bad advices in oder 2 ridicule hm.prof nebo is gud bt needs tyme but tins woud hav improvd if barth was dia all along

^^^I think he's realised his mistake, hence the digging in of heels on the Arunma Otteh vs Legislooters issue; they want her removed after she gave them a bloody nose, slapped out their teeth, and wounded their pride......inspite of the stock markets sterling performance in recent years.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by farem: 4:24pm On May 02, 2013
TO BE DISAPPOINTED IS TO HAVE BEEN A FOOL. I REFUSE TO BE A FOOL.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Joeadamu86: 4:37pm On May 02, 2013
At least the Minister told us the truth,i still believe that one day this problem of power will be the thing of the past,while we criticize, i don't it will be fair if we forget that past administrations didn't do well in planing ahead for power in the country,let's just keep hoping for the better,for ones we have an administration that is telling us the truth.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lol. I don't get.

.........kayci_d77..... is my good friend
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by otokx(m): 5:54pm On May 02, 2013
Why must those big power turbines be carried up north and damage the roads? Let them build the power plants and install the turbines in Onne or somewhere around near a gas supply line route and then feed the power into the national grid.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by OmoTier1(m): 6:10pm On May 02, 2013
Really So the Minister was given a target to get Power generation up by 10,000MW, all He can say is... [size=13pt]I can't fit do it... the job is a difficult to achieve ni..[/size] cry So why on earth did He accept the post? They are trying to play another 'Mr no shoes' on the masses again....

Anyway, they voted for GEJ and not PDP, enjoy the made in CHINA fresh AIR embarassed

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by ms22059: 7:42pm On May 02, 2013
[quote author=Ricky_Ross]

GEJ is not perfect, but in the areas of electricity, infrastructure etc he has done better than his predecessor

That is a lie, Nothing has improved under GEJ. Lekki only has 2 hours electricity in 24 hours. A Shame on GEJ and a shame on our so called country

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by IGBOSON1: 10:06pm On May 02, 2013
otokx: Why must those big power turbines be carried up north and damage the roads? Let them build the power plants and install the turbines in Onne or somewhere around near a gas supply line route and then feed the power into the national grid.

^^^Bros, what you're saying may be common sense, but don't forget this is Nigeria, and we're yet to grasp the full meaning of that concept. In this country, common sense ends where ethnic/regional/religious considerations begin.....even if we waste billions of naira, thousands of man-hours and precious time in the process.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angola Becomes First Country To “BAN” Islam – Destroys Mosques / Minister Of Science And Technology, Ogbonaya Onu Visits Governor Ugwuanyi / Lagos Trains 200 Students On Life Saving Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.