Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,905 members, 7,806,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! - Politics (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! (55262 Views)

Gunmen Shoot At Pius Odubu In Auchi / Fulani-Herdsmen Shoot At David Mark In Agatu / Army Warns Personnel To Be Active, Gives Shoot-At-Sight Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by biolabee(m): 4:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
all4naija: I know you won't still believe it even if Tera-bytes of information are provide for you.
All4naja,,,,! My guy

I believe we can learn from the example
ZA has undesirable elements and a friend of mine was trailed from the airport and dispossessed of his dollars
From then, what did i do when i travelled to ZA

I used the gautrain and i did not carry too much foreign currency as PTA; moreover the atm cards work there
FNB accepts GTB

That is something all of us can learn from and others have not suffered the same fate

Moreover I stayed in Sandton which is exclusive and safe

Why is it so diffcult to believe we can learn from the incident that happened to worldtraveller

I want to learn from others so i will not suffer the same fate
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
I am deeply sorry about your situation

I believe we can learn from this incident to forestall future occurence

- How did you get back into nigera if your passport was taken
TO GET BACK INTO NIGERIA, WE GOT A REPORT FROM THE POLICE AND TOOK THIS TO THE EMBASSY IN ILLOVO, WHERE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT WAS ISSUED IN LESS THAN AN HOUR BY A VERY KIND AND SYMPATHETIC OFFICIAL. WE ARE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO HIM.
- Also where in Joburg did you stay, the hotel name
WE STAYED AT HYDRO EXECUTIVE APARTMENTS
- How did you meet the Taxi driver, was it from the hotel
THE TAXI WAS RECOMMENDED BY A FRIEND WHO PICKED HIM UP FROM GUATENG STATION. UNFORTUNATELY FOR US WE DIDN'T KNOW THIS AT THE TIME.
The hotel may also be in on it
I BELIEVE THE HOTEL STAFF WERE INVOLVED TOO AS WE SAW HIM (TAXI DRIVER) TALKING TO THE HOTEL SECURITY

1 Like

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
This story is true and posted by us to warn other people to be careful in Johannesburg. There are several stories in the South African press warning travellers about robberies. The robbers follow you from the airport to your destination or they follow you from the hotel to the airport. We were told at the embassy that it happens everyday.

The travel warning to South Africa is critical because of the number of attacks on foreigners especially other Africans. See the articles for yourself.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/sandton/sandton-news-crime?oid=7545306&sn=Detail&pid=217510

CRIME
Follow-home robberies from airport continue

JOHANNESBURG - The Sandton police have issued another warning to the public about follow-home robberies from OR Thambo International Airport after some recent incidents.

14 June 2013 | David Jenkin
Sandton police spokesperson Captain Kym Cloete said suspects have been using a white Toyota Corolla to follow victims from the airport and rob them of their cash, luggage and valuables when they reach their destination.

Cloete said the suspects have been targeting people arriving from countries on the African continent. She added that police were investigating the possibility that the syndicate have spotters operating at the ariport.

On 25 May a suspect was killed when the vehicle he and two other suspects were using to flee from security crashed into oncoming traffic on Jan Smuts Avenue, featured in Chase leads to fatal accident.

They had robbed a couple who had just arrived from Malawi as they pulled into the driveway of a home in Bordeaux. The vehicle they had used was also a white Toyota Corolla.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
biolabee:
All4naja,,,,! My guy

I believe we can learn from the example
ZA has undesirable elements and a friend of mine was trailed from the airport and dispossessed of his dollars
From then, what did i do when i travelled to ZA

I used the gautrain and i did not carry too much foreign currency as PTA; moreover the atm cards work there
FNB accepts GTB

That is something all of us can learn from and others have not suffered the same fate

Moreover I stayed in Sandton which is exclusive and safe

Why is it so diffcult to believe we can learn from the incident that happened to worldtraveller

I want to learn from others so i will not suffer the same fate

Sandton is not exclusive or safe. Most of the robbers follow people staying in hotels in Sandton. My friend was followed from the Hilton and robbed and another friend was followed from the Michaelangelo hotel.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 03, 2013
worldtraveller:

Sandton is not exclusive or safe. Most of the robbers follow people staying in hotels in Sandton. My friend was followed from the Hilton and robbed and another friend was followed from the Michaelangelo hotel.
They were lucky they were not killed by those silly b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=13642

Overall Crime and Safety Situation

The Department of State's Bureau of Diplomatic Security rates Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town as “Critical” crime threat posts. Crime continues to be a key strategic concern for the South African government, as well as for U.S. government employees and visitors. In general, crimes continue to range throughout the full spectrum, from petty muggings to ATM scams to armed residential home invasions. These crimes occur with great frequency and throughout every neighborhood. Although Americans are not specifically targeted, they can become victims of crime when caught in the cross fire of armed attacks, when they do not pay attention to their surroundings, and/or when they make themselves an “easy target.”

Crime Threats

Violent, confrontational crime is a major concern. Such crimes include home invasion robberies, burglaries, carjackings, street muggings, smash-and-grabs, organized attacks on commercial and retail centers (shopping malls and outlets), bombings of ATMs, as well as attacks on cash-in-transit vehicles/personnel (i.e., armored car/personnel).

etc, etc,

Other common crimes include smash-and-grab robberies at major intersections and highway off-ramps.

[b]Incidents involving police impersonators in the vicinity of OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg have been reported in the past. KwaZulu-Natal province reported five cases in 2012. These impersonators use normal vehicles with a police light in the dash board and attempt to pull over other vehicles. If a vehicle stops, the occupants are robbed of their belongings. Officers in legitimate, unmarked police vehicles will also be in uniform and will present identification.
(EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO US) WE WERE ENCOURAGED NOT TO REPORT THE CRIME BY THE POLICE! WAS THIS TO KEEP THE NUMBERS LOW?

Criminals have also been known to target vehicles on the highways. Gangs will place debris in the road and wait for a vehicle to stop after hitting the object, at which point the passengers are robbed of their belongings. Other tactics employed on the highways include dropping rocks or paint from bridges onto vehicles passing underneath. In another scenario, an individual (or several working together) may be pulled over on the side of the road with an apparent mechanical problem and waiting for the driver to pull over and exit the car before grabbing exposed valuables.

The Gautrain railway serves as a rapid rail link between Johannesburg’s international airport, the commercial centers of Johannesburg, and Pretoria. In 2012, the route was extended to provide service between the Johannesburg Central Business District and Pretoria. The Gautrain is a safe and efficient alternative to travel between the various locations. More information on the Gautrain can be obtained at: http://www.gautrain.co.za/.
I WISH WE HAD DONE OUR HOMEWORK AND INVESTIGATED BEFORE TRAVELLING. I WOULD HAVE JUST CAUGHT THE TRAIN.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 11:52pm On Jul 03, 2013
Yes, we are EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO GOD AND EXTREMELY LUCKY.

collynzo2: Bros go and do thanksgiving for the rest of this year. 90% of the time, South African robbers kill their victims after robbing them irrespective of whether they resisited or not. You and your friend are very very lucky people.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by biolabee(m): 6:39am On Jul 04, 2013
worldtraveller:

Wow... michelangelo?

Thats sad

Is it the hotels that plan with these cAbs to rob
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by biolabee(m): 6:43am On Jul 04, 2013
worldtraveller: I am deeply sorry about your situation

I believe we can learn from this incident to forestall future occurence

- How did you get back into nigera if your passport was taken
TO GET BACK INTO NIGERIA, WE GOT A REPORT FROM THE POLICE AND TOOK THIS TO THE EMBASSY IN ILLOVO, WHERE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT WAS ISSUED IN LESS THAN AN HOUR BY A VERY KIND AND SYMPATHETIC OFFICIAL. WE ARE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO HIM.
- Also where in Joburg did you stay, the hotel name
WE STAYED AT HYDRO EXECUTIVE APARTMENTS
- How did you meet the Taxi driver, was it from the hotel
THE TAXI WAS RECOMMENDED BY A FRIEND WHO PICKED HIM UP FROM GUATENG STATION. UNFORTUNATELY FOR US WE DIDN'T KNOW THIS AT THE TIME.
The hotel may also be in on it
I BELIEVE THE HOTEL STAFF WERE INVOLVED TOO AS WE SAW HIM (TAXI DRIVER) TALKING TO THE HOTEL SECURITY

I know hydro apts close to west street and I had friends that stayed there

I used the gautrain and will continually be using it

We all know ZA is a dangerous country but we justcan learn from each other

My condolences once again

THanks for sharing
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2013
worldtraveller: We just got back from Johannesburg, it was an awful experience. We were robbed at gunpoint by 4 South Africans, they had followed our taxi from the hotel. We believe the taxi driver was in on it as when we checked out from the hotel, he stopped at a petrol station to buy petrol - its likely he stopped at the petrol station so the robbers could tail us. 2 mins before we were intercepted by the robbers on the highway the driver took a phone call. All our belongings, cash, phones, passports, laptops, jewellery was taken. My friend had the gun pointed at him the entire time and he threatened to shoot us if we resisted. The worst thing out of all of this was when we got to the police station, the police told us we shouldn't report the crime since we were not South African and did not have a South African phone number. We waited hours before a statement was taken and even at that the policeman said he was doing us a favour by taking a statement.
Eh ah,sorry.Your first experience was actually baptism of fire.Go to Travel section and read experiences on South Africa from there.Thank God you are safe.No one Is spared,even South Africans are not.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 8:34am On Jul 04, 2013
kgr28: bullshit, your story is fuccked up, in SA you took a taxi from a hotel?? You where robbed on the HIGHWAY?? in joburg on the HIGHWAY?? You were intercepted Like in the movies?? FVCK YOU MAN, YOU JUST CREATED A STORY DICKHEAD!

Hey,are you sure you are not sick? What's with all the 'FVCK' you always posting here everytime on nairaland?

1 Like

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 8:36am On Jul 04, 2013
nadia_SA:
Lol it really is..
Read it thoroughly ul c..
Our wife,there's always a robbery story at least a week on travellers,not only Nigerians,departing from O.R Tambo. Even at the airport luggages gets badly tampered with or outright missing.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 8:43am On Jul 04, 2013
(EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO US) WE WERE ENCOURAGED NOT TO REPORT THE CRIME BY THE POLICE! WAS THIS TO KEEP THE NUMBERS LOW?[/b]

I WISH WE HAD DONE OUR HOMEWORK AND INVESTIGATED BEFORE TRAVELLING. I WOULD HAVE JUST CAUGHT THE TRAIN.[/quote]

Some people have shared their experiences too.next time,either you ask the hotle where you will be staying to assist you with transportation from the airpprt to the hotel.Or another way is to seek assistance from NL,from folks who could pick you up to your destination.It will cost you a little but at least you will arrive safe.Just my offer of advise.Stay blessed and don't be ruffled.Be wiser the more next time.

1 Like

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by biolabee(m): 8:49am On Jul 04, 2013
@donodion

Good advice....
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 04, 2013
donodion:
Our wife,there's always a robbery story at least a week on travellers,not only Nigerians,departing from O.R Tambo. Even at the airport luggages gets badly tampered with or outright missing.
I know but this one its obvious hs lying nau..
Hs story no make sense at all at all..
I'm not saying there isn't robbery in sA..
If its true we thank God for hs life

1 Like

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by worldtraveller: 9:38am On Jul 04, 2013
donodion:
(EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO US) WE WERE ENCOURAGED NOT TO REPORT THE CRIME BY THE POLICE! WAS THIS TO KEEP THE NUMBERS LOW?[/b]

I WISH WE HAD DONE OUR HOMEWORK AND INVESTIGATED BEFORE TRAVELLING. I WOULD HAVE JUST CAUGHT THE TRAIN.

Some people have shared their experiences too.next time,either you ask the hotle where you will be staying to assist you with transportation from the airpprt to the hotel.Or another way is to seek assistance from NL,from folks who could pick you up to your destination.It will cost you a little but at least you will arrive safe.Just my offer of advise.Stay blessed and don't be ruffled.Be wiser the more next time.

Yes we have learnt out lesson, baptism of fire for real. Don't worry, I will not be setting foot in that country again. There are plenty other beautiful places in the world to visit, shop and do business with. My friends can do as they wish but I won't be going back.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by biolabee(m): 10:14am On Jul 04, 2013
nadia_SA:

nadia he has provided details using names and places
why would you still doubt him
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 10:31am On Jul 04, 2013
worldtraveller:

Yes we have learnt out lesson, baptism of fire for real. Don't worry, I will not be setting foot in that country again. There are plenty other beautiful places in the world to visit, shop and do business with. My friends can do as they wish but I won't be going back.

Well its your choice.But what about the numerous people living here and facing all sorts??Whats the guarantee where you go may not have an unpleasant experience in a different dimension?But all the same,i know the feeling.Just get over it and enjoy your holiday(s).
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by donodion(m): 10:31am On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:

Thanks bro.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
nadia_SA:
You! You again! You are very stubborn, lady.
Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:

Ok sorry then all is well
all4naija: You! You again! You are very stubborn, lady.
tongue kiss

1 Like

Re: South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! by OlaoyoNaomy(f): 7:54pm On Feb 22, 2023
"Are you worried about connecting your business with the right target audience?

Worry less! You're in the right place.
Daily Ads Marketing can help you to connect with your audience to build your brand, increase sales, and drive website traffic 👌🏽.

Do you wish to know how? Slide up to reach us now!"
#connect #love #community #connection #nature #business #network #networking #explore #follow #grow #inspiration #marketing #entrepreneur

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (Reply)

Ezekwesili Digs APC's Tweet About Chibok Girls In 2014 / Maryln Ogar Demoted, Recalled From Study Leave - Nigeriantimes / APC Governors Swoop On Jonathan Ahead Of 2023 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.