Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? (8239 Views)

Melaye Begs Senators To Patronise 'made In Nigeria Girls' / Melaye Begs Senators To Patronise 'made In Nigeria Girls' / Buhari To Nigerians: Get Ready To Patronise “made In Nigeria” Products (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 03, 2013
We can complain about govt as much we want but the reality is that our actions and inactions as individuals also goes along way in determining what becomes of our country.

Take the issue of high unemployment rate for instance, do you know that your failure to patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products help to worsen unemployment? Do you know that the more MADE IN NIGERIA products you patronise, the more job is created, which in turns help to reduce unemployment rate?

For every MADE IN NIGERIA product you and I patronise, we increase the DEMAND for workers along the chain in the PRODUCTION and DISTRIBUTION of that product- from the sourcing of the raw materials, to the production of finished product, distribution and marketing.

Therefore, how many Nigerians CONSCIOUSLY patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products? By consciously, I meant deliberately asking for MADE IN NIGERIA products when we go shopping.

Fortunately, most MADE IN NIGERIA products are genuine and also of good quality when compared to imported ones. For instance, MADE IN NIGERIA drugs are the best when available. If you buy a MADE IN NIGERIA anti-malaria drugs, you'r 99% sure you've bought genuine drugs. Ditto other MADE IN NIGERIA drugs and pharmaceuticals. High quality rice milled in Nigeria are the FRESHEST you can get. MADE IN NIGERIA electric cables are the best. And so and so forth.

Therefore, when next you go out to buy, ask for MADE IN NIGERIA products

13 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 03, 2013
Another reason for Nigerians to patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products:

Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-5-percent-of-locally-manufactured-goods-failed-to-meet-required-standards/138993/

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 6:14pm On May 03, 2013
@Sincere Nigerian. The problem with patronizing a lot of "Made in Nigeria" products is the fact that they are usually over-priced and of inferior quality. For example, furniture makers sell their set of living room Chairs for approximately N250,000 and above. Its not as if they'll be the best quality and the finishing is likely to be tacky. Now check out a foreign mag on furnitures and see what they offer you for the same price or less. Its not really encouraging.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 6:18pm On May 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Another reason why Nigerians should patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products:

Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-5-percent-of-locally-manufactured-goods-failed-to-meet-required-standards/138993/
Now i don't belive this.....Speaking from experience. Maybe products like textiles but the ones that require a high level of craftsmanship or technical ability......its a no-no.
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Rhino5dm: 6:25pm On May 03, 2013

Nigeria's Federal Executive Council Approves N1 Billion (£4
M) To Buy Dustbins From The UK-Nigerian Tribune

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerias-federal-executive-council-approves-n1-billion-£4-m-buy-dustbins-uk-nigerian-tribu

^^^
I guess you know where to start from, if you are really sincere.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 03, 2013
ba7man: Now i don't belive this.....Speaking from experience. Maybe products like textiles but the ones that require a high level of craftsmanship or technical ability......its a no-no.
If we dont believe Standard Organisation of Nigeria, is it Standard Organisation of China that we should believe? We should learn to respect our institutions.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 03, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

^^^
I guess you know where to start from, if you are really sincere.
That was 2010, I guess, and it was wrong. We cannot continue in wrong doing. Even if it happens now, I will harshly criticise it

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Rhino5dm: 6:33pm On May 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That was 2010, I guess, and it was wrong. We cannot continue in wrong doing. Even if it happens now, I will harshly criticise it

Thanks for your sincerity. cool

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 03, 2013
ba7man: @Sincere Nigerian. The problem with patronizing a lot of "Made in Nigeria" products is the fact that they are usually over-priced and of inferior quality. For example, furniture makers sell their set of living room Chairs for approximately N250,000 and above. Its not as if they'll be the best quality and the finishing is likely to be tacky. Now check out a foreign mag on furnitures and see what they offer you for the same price or less. Its not really encouraging.
i agree with you. i bought zinaox laptop sometimes ago, i bought it around 80k with very low spec just because i wanted to buy made in nigeria product and it didnt last a year. i coulda bought HP or acer at the same amount with higher specifications. anyway am not discouraged by that. but it seems nigerians really dont know how to do business, same with hitv that suppose to give dstv a run for their money, but its more expensive than dstv with all their crappy stations, same with glo and mtn

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Sibrah: 6:34pm On May 03, 2013
The no 1 indigenous product in Nigeria is Corruption! What else do you need to know?
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 03, 2013
ba7man: @Sincere Nigerian. The problem with patronizing a lot of "Made in Nigeria" products is the fact that they are usually over-priced and of inferior quality. For example, furniture makers sell their set of living room Chairs for approximately N250,000 and above. Its not as if they'll be the best quality and the finishing is likely to be tacky. Now check out a foreign mag on furnitures and see what they offer you for the same price or less. Its not really encouraging.
Yes, there maybe issues with pricing but that is the exception. For most products, the prices of locally manufactured products are at par with imported ones. And when imported ones are cheaper, check the quality

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 03, 2013
9jadelta: i agree with you. i bought zinaox laptop sometimes ago, i bought it around 80k with very low spec just because i wanted to buy made in nigeria product and it didnt last a year. i coulda bought HP or acer at the same amount with higher specifications. anyway am not discouraged by that. but it seems nigerians really dont know how to do business, same with hitv that suppose to give dstv a run for their money, but its more expensive than dstv with all their crappy stations, same with glo and mtn
That is unfortunate, but if you check online for peoples experience with imported laptops such as Hp, you'll find sweet and sad tales too

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That is unfortunate, but if you check online for peoples experience with imported laptops such as Hp, you'll find sweet and sad tales too
yep. that's why i said am not discouraged

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 6:57pm On May 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Yes, there maybe issues with pricing but that is the exception. For most products, the prices of locally manufactured products are at par with imported ones. And when imported ones are cheaper, check the quality
I'm into Architecture, interiors and construction. Its always better to import your accessories because you'll get good quality, a wide variety at very sane prices. I also belive in patronizing Nigerian products but once they get it right,they always end up shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing. Value for money is hard to find in locally made products.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 7:10pm On May 03, 2013
9jadelta: i agree with you. i bought zinaox laptop sometimes ago, i bought it around 80k with very low spec just because i wanted to buy made in nigeria product and it didnt last a year. i coulda bought HP or acer at the same amount with higher specifications. anyway am not discouraged by that. but it seems nigerians really dont know how to do business, same with hitv that suppose to give dstv a run for their money, but its more expensive than dstv with all their crappy stations, same with glo and mtn
Its this loophole in not being able to marry our level of craftsmanship with cost that the Chinese exploited to gain a foothold on our market.
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by CROWE: 7:14pm On May 03, 2013
If we want made in Nigeria products to pick up in sales we need to force the issue, ultimately it falls to the government to set trade tariffs to force the price of imported goods to go up so that buying locally made goods becomes attractive to the people. For example, I hear there is a Nigerian car manufacturer that is not getting patronized, put tariff on importation of cars or parts so the people have to buy their cars, simple. The US did something of this nature back in the day when the Japanese manufactures were dominating the electrical appliances market in the US.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 03, 2013
Most of our goods r better than all these chinese pdts in every corner of d country! Its just that we already hv dat mentality of buying imported gds even if its not worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 03, 2013
Made in China products all the way! I use China made cotton buds to clean my ear.Even the toothpicks i use is made in china. Chinko no dey carry last! cheesy
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

It seems your licence to lie 247 is about to expire. Kudos for this rare moment of truthfulness.
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 03, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Most of our goods r better than all these chinese pdts in every corner of d country! Its just that we already hv dat mentality of buying imported gds even if its not worth it.
its the price. do u want to compare Quinqui truck that probably costs 200 thousand naira to innoson truck that costs around 2.5million .if these products are cheap. people will buy. nokia use to dominate nigeria market but today its tecno why? its cheaper no one cares if it will last forever or not

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 8:04pm On May 03, 2013
Our craftsmen too also need to step up their game. A lot of them still use analogue tools their grandfathers used in this age of powered tools. This has affected their rate of output and finishing. As for Chinese products, i once asked a Chinese door dealer what type of wood he used for his doors and he shook his head. The door was made of wood shavings laminated with a good-looking synthetic cover. Those doors will look good but will fall apart in no time. Meanwhile a "Made in Nigeria" door will have an ugly look but its certainly going to be made of wood.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by 1MCN: 9:34pm On May 03, 2013
I like to see and to buy the Made in Nigeria goods. As for quality, if see what young craftmen are doing with their dexterous fingers in Aba, it's breathtaking (though that place also doubles as the home of substandard products). But painfully the cun for their high standard goods is that when they produce high quality products they export it to Cameroun and Cotonou and others, and later they're re-imported into Nigeria as Italian this, Italian that (especially shoes and clothes, and other leather products).
As for pricing, it's mostly cos of high cost of production in the form of electricity, multiple taxation( Fed, state, LGA, area boys, matching ground, omonile, etc). Another is lack of competition. In no distant time, if we unite in purpose and will, we can produce high quality and cheap Made in Nigeria goods (and services).
God bless Nigeria and Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 11:40pm On May 03, 2013
I only wished those Aba boys would brand their products with their own name rather than an established foreign one. It won't stop people from patronizing them if they're not immitations.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Scarpon(m): 1:19am On May 04, 2013
we got the best quality products in West Africa

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 8:04am On May 04, 2013
ba7man: I only wished those Aba boys would brand their products with their own name rather than an established foreign one. It won't stop people from patronizing them if they're not immitations.
Even if they'r imitations, provided the quality is good, nothing spoil. China started by imitating established products
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 8:14am On May 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Even if they'r imitations, provided the quality is good, nothing spoil. China started by imitating established products
It limits growth of the product when the branding is an immitation. Chinese immitation brands can't go mainstream and are constantly facing legal battles with original brands when they get too mainstream. Their automobile industry is riddled with this problem, they're either getting sued by Toyota or BMW for ripping off their designs or technology. Not a good business model for a manufacturer that has his eyes on a global future.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by baynix(m): 8:36am On May 04, 2013
Why should i buy OSHOMO when i can get ALOMO that is much more effective?? undecided

I still dunno why Zinaox Computers costs so much with very low specifications!!

Nigerian Mades Are Good For Nothing!!
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by Nobody: 9:06am On May 04, 2013
ba7man: It limits growth of the product when the branding is an immitation. Chinese immitation brands can't go mainstream and are constantly facing legal battles with original brands when they get too mainstream. Their automobile industry is riddled with this problem, they're either getting sued by Toyota or BMW for ripping off their designs or technology. Not a good business model for a manufacturer that has his eyes on a global future.
You'r talking of a "global future" when these products are yet to make an impact in the local market? Lets tackle the local market first
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by otokx(m): 9:16am On May 04, 2013
Yes i do especially indomie and nasco corn flakes, glucose malt biscuit, amstel & guiness malta. Food, drugs and biro wise we are not doing too badly at all.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by awodman: 9:19am On May 04, 2013
otokx: Yes i do especially indomie and nasco corn flakes, glucose malt biscuit, amstel & guiness malta. Food, drugs and biro wise we are not doing too badly at all.
Lol..yes oooo...u are not doing badly @ alll...keep it up..
Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 9:41am On May 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
You'r talking of a "global future" when these products are yet to make an impact in the local market? Lets tackle the local market first
Reach for the stars so that if you fail, you'll at least catch the moon. The further you can see, the bigger your products can become. Plan as if you're going global and target locally. A local product with a global appeal can never fail. Imagine packaging a locally made product like palmwine in a bottle as goodlooking as Heineken's. That's what our local manufacturers should aim at.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consciously Patronise Made In Nigeria Products? by ba7man(m): 9:51am On May 04, 2013
otokx: Yes i do especially indomie and nasco corn flakes, glucose malt biscuit, amstel & guiness malta. Food, drugs and biro wise we are not doing too badly at all.
It was one of the smart moves made by Obasanjo by discouraging importation of most of these foreign brands. A lot of them were forced to start producing locally in order to still have access to the Nigerian Market. At least, its a step in the right direction since the manufacturing takes place in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 50 Cities of Emperor Oduduwa AdeMusiwa of the country of Western Nigeria / List Of Salaries Of Public Office Holders In Nigeria (president To Commissioners / Edo: INEC Loses N100m, To Reconfigure 6,677 Card Readers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.