Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone (779 Views)

Ben Bruce To Osun Govt: I Will Not Respond To Your Attack During Ramadan / Wardrobe Allowance: Ben Bruce Mocking Nigerian Workers — Osun Govt / Osun Govt May Stop Free Feeding Of School Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone by koruji(m): 4:15am On May 04, 2013
This was a serious crime that went beyond stealing a phone. Kelvin Ighodalo went to prison for murder and stolen goods, and was working with a syndicate that actually impersonated Aregbesola and defrauded his friends.

Quote:
“Kelvin, from the investigation carried out by the State Security Services and presented before the court, is a dismissed police officer, who had earlier on been in prison for six years for a murder charge.
“He has subsequently served prison terms for receiving stolen goods in 2010 and while in prison, he was obviously working in conjunction with a syndicate. “Members of the syndicate, who are still under investigation, arranged the stealing of the mobile phone of Gov. Rauf Aregbesola and before the SIM card was blocked, the syndicate impersonated the owner.
“They defrauded many close associates of Aregbesola. One Abdulgafar Yusuf was caught by security agents while trying to withdraw money paid into his bank account by two of their victims,” the statement read in part.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/132500-osun-govt-explains-jail-term-for-man-who-stole-gov-aregbesolas-phone.html
Published: May 3,2013

The Osun Government says reports over the theft and court sentence regarding Gov. Rauf Aregbesola’s phone were sensationalised.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that an Osogbo High Court had on Monday April 29 convicted one Kelvin Ighodalo for stealing the governor’s phone.
Reacting to the sentence through a statement by Adewale Afolabi, the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, the government described the reports as over sensationalised by the media.
Although, Afolabi did not accuse any particular medium, he stressed the need to put the record straight and to educate the public on the facts in the case and the application of the law.
“Kelvin, from the investigation carried out by the State Security Services and presented before the court, is a dismissed police officer, who had earlier on been in prison for six years for a murder charge.
“He has subsequently served prison terms for receiving stolen goods in 2010 and while in prison, he was obviously working in conjunction with a syndicate.
“Members of the syndicate, who are still under investigation, arranged the stealing of the mobile phone of Gov. Rauf Aregbesola and before the SIM card was blocked, the syndicate impersonated the owner.
“They defrauded many close associates of Aregbesola. One Abdulgafar Yusuf was caught by security agents while trying to withdraw money paid into his bank account by two of their victims,” the statement read in part.
The commissioner also recalled that Mr Shenge Rahaman and Oba Adekunle Aromolaran had earlier on been defrauded of almost a million naira, while other numerous victims had fallen to their pranks.
The Attorney-General said that Kelvin was later arrested and charged to the court alongside his arrested accomplices; namely Ogunjobi Babatunde (a prison officer) and Abdulgafar Yusuf (the prison officer’s brother).
Mr. Afolabi said the accused were charged to court on a- six-count charge of conspiracy to obtain money under false pretence, obtaining money under false pretence, stealing and impersonation.
“Although Ighodalo was granted bail by the Court, he jumped bail and attempted committing similar offence with another person’s GSM number but was caught in the process.
“He was later arraigned on the six-count charge and he pleaded guilty to all the six counts. The first three counts carry twenty years maximum term with no option of fine,” he noted.
Mr. Afolabi clarified that whoever committed this offence under Subsection (1) or (2) is liable on conviction to imprisonment for not more than twenty years and not less than seven years without an option of a fine.
The commissioner further recalled, however, that the Judge, while sentencing Ighodalo, exercised his discretion within the limited space allowed by law to sentence him to 10 years term on each of the first three counts.
“To say that Ighodalo was sentenced to 45 years prison term for stealing Aregbesola’s phone is not only misleading but unduly sensationalised, unfair to the court and the entire criminal justice system.
“I will only advise that Nigerians should refrain from trivialising or playing politics with serious financial crime more so when other members of the syndicate are still at large and any member of the public may fall their victim.
“Financial crime must be confronted frontally no matter who the victim or the culprit is to have an economically prosperous, sane and safe society,” he added.

1 Like

Re: Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone by madone: 6:45am On May 04, 2013
People shiuld stop playing politics with serious financial crime my sh*t. I wish I can see you one on one and you repeat this same word and you would be surprised wat I ll do to you.how many political have stole billions and trillion and how many years did they go. Nigerians problem is not that Kelvin went to jail the issue is poor man can be so easily brought to justice in this country. All the million your governor made when he was a commissioner in lagos how many years has he gone for .nonsense the law is blind to the rich fools
Re: Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone by baynix(m): 8:20am On May 04, 2013
That Boi Can Rot In Jail For All I Care!! undecided undecided

Osun A Dara Ooo!! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone by Gbawe: 10:16am On May 04, 2013
madone: People shiuld stop playing politics with serious financial crime my sh*t. I wish I can see you one on one and you repeat this same word and you would be surprised wat I ll do to you. how many political have stole billions and trillion and how many years did they go. Nigerians problem is not that Kelvin went to jail the issue is poor man can be so easily brought to justice in this country. All the million your governor made when he was a commissioner in lagos how many years has he gone for .nonsense the law is blind to the rich fools

For the sake of your own efficacy at the game of life, you should learn to think more critically and less emotionally. You are busy bellicosely engaging the OP when issues, inspected critically, only shows you are ineffective at viewing issues dispassionately, noting facts and then making the obvious conclusions and clear distinctions. If thieving politicians are receiving fines for stealing billions, what does that have to do with this case when a Judge has done his job properly and without fault at all?

He even sentenced the offender leniently within the legal guideline punishment available. Where the recommendation is 7 years minimum and 20 years maximum, without the option of fine, the Judge sentenced the offender to ten years. Some of you just come here to rant, rave and dumb down the forum with the misguided impression you are saying anything worthwhile to Nigeria.

You will never show interest in reading and comprehending what is presented yet you are always ready to wade in blindly and start swinging blows ignorantly. Before you come here in fake indignation look in the mirror and see the problem of Nigeria. If you were more of a solution provider and a measured critical thinker, rather than a self-made ignorant person happy attacking others unfairly, then Nigeria may have a chance to tackle and overcome her oppressors.

“He was later arraigned on the six-count charge and he pleaded guilty to all the six counts. The first three counts carry twenty years maximum term with no option of fine,” he noted.
Mr. Afolabi clarified that whoever committed this offence under Subsection (1) or (2) is liable on conviction to imprisonment for not more than twenty years and not less than seven years without an option of a fine.
The commissioner further recalled, however, that the Judge, while sentencing Ighodalo, exercised his discretion within the limited space allowed by law to sentence him to 10 years term on each of the first three counts.

1 Like

Re: Osun Govt. Explains Jail Term For Man Who Stole Gov. Aregbesola’s Phone by koruji(m): 2:36pm On May 05, 2013
What word did I use? And what will you do to me? I encourage you to visit whatever you have in mind on the thieving politicians you see everyday.

You missed your road completely on this topic!

madone: People shiuld stop playing politics with serious financial crime my sh*t. I wish I can see you one on one and you repeat this same word and you would be surprised wat I ll do to you.how many political have stole billions and trillion and how many years did they go. Nigerians problem is not that Kelvin went to jail the issue is poor man can be so easily brought to justice in this country. All the million your governor made when he was a commissioner in lagos how many years has he gone for .nonsense the law is blind to the rich fools

(1) (Reply)

CRIME: 20 Killed In Renewed Benin City Cult War / Whoever Wins In 2015, Change Won't Be Concrete Unless We Fight! / Saudi Warns Pilgrims Of Deadly Disease In Mecca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.