Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,858 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. (3808 Views)

Webmasters, Which Nigerian Web Hosting Company Is Reliable? Pls Help! / Nigerian Web Hosts Vs Foreign Web Hosts / Top Ten Nigerian Web Designers <caution> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by megamindmaster(m): 2:33pm On May 04, 2013
As an up coming web developer as at 2007, I was really looking for reliable and quality hosting services. i found most of them outside the country. Sites like godaddy and other big hosting names were far away but close enough due to the ability to pay with credit cards. Due to some reasons like credit card availability then and security reasons I would just prefer to host with a Nigerian company here, where i can just go to a bank here and pay. I really sought for good Nigerian web host that can keep my sites up and running always, but my heart and business was broken a lot of times.
Over the years of hosting experience with some of them until now, I have come to discover much of the issues with many Nigerian web hosts and will like to share them with us here so we can choose wisely, and so that webhosts can even improve on their services.
1. Poor hosting platforms - many of Nigerian webhosts are still managing, and enjoy managing. A lot are still resellers, and therefore mostly use shared hosting. There is nothing wrong with reselling because there must be a beginning. As a beginner webhost it will do you good to at least resell with a reliable company. Not that downtimes don’t happen or issues of any kind, but lean on people that have stood strong, not people that are leaning on others. With time you can upgrade your services to VPS hosting which gives you a lot of independence and a platform to offer better services.
2. Bad customer service – I have seen many cases of complain here in nairaland about webhosts abandoning their clients and customers when there are issues, and not even picking their calls at all. People want to do business with real people, and the only way they will feel easy about doing business with you is how fast you respond when they are having issues. . You must not even have an office and necessarily employ a lady to be picking your calls to have a good customer service. Always have a line that is available for your client to reach you and attend to email on the go.
3. Poor business mentality – most webhosts don’t understand that business is about seriousness. Some people started hosting because everyone is hosting, and therefore they can make money. No value for what they do, its all about getting the money and jump to the next raining online money secrete. That is called “failure”. People that understand business know why they are in a particular business, not just the money. They understand that their customer is their wealth and treat them well.
4. Ingenuity – web hosting business is not scam. Don’t say what you don’t offer or have. I have seen many cases of that. Be plain and give out what you have. Satisfy your clients and give them quality services, and they will spread the gospel about you, its as easy as that, then improve on what you do and offer more with time. I have really had a lot of people ask me which webhost here in Nigeria i use,or recommend for them and I know what I tell them.

There are many benefits to hosting with Nigerian companies anyway like ease of paying in the bank here amidst other ones too, but they ones mentioned here is to let them know where they need to improve so that web developers and serious minded business people can always host with Nigerian companies.

You can ad yours if you have any…

3 Likes

Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by mrperfect(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2013
I think you made a valid points, but that is not peculiar to webhosting or Nigeria as you pointed.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Basic(m): 2:35am On May 05, 2013
Nice one, OP. Nothing could be more right than your points. That's why I use foreign companies - I register my domains with Namecheap and host with Hostgator (both in the US).
So far, I've never had any cause to regret snubbing Nigerian hosts. Instead, the tales of woe I read on NL everyday told by dissatisfied customers make me feel glad over my smart decision.
And, OP, don't be surprised. Some of them will start stuffing apologetic words here, trying to make you feel that you won't have the listed problems with them.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by megamindmaster(m): 5:01pm On May 05, 2013
mrperfect: I think you made a valid points, but that is not peculiar to webhosting or Nigeria as you pointed.

You are right to some extent, but U̶̲̥̅̊ must have seen some of these anyway...
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Basic(m): 5:56pm On May 05, 2013
The fact remains, even the best Nigerian hosts have failed their customers.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by megamindmaster(m): 7:39pm On May 05, 2013
Basic: The fact remains, even the best Nigerian hosts have failed their customers.

I just wish they can seethis post and improve their services and be more excellent in biz...
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by UncleJJ(m): 11:06pm On May 05, 2013
I still cant understand why anyone would like to host his site in Nigeria or host his site on boxes managed by Nigerians.

Its bad for business. Even, the so called shared host have downtime issue's now and then. Sometimes, you get your site suspended for traffic spikes or some breach of the tos without warning.

In my new thread, i shared info regarding amazon ec2 and how you can get free cloud hosting for $1 - for 12 whopping months. Eventhough, what you get is a empty box with a basic firewall, and you need to build a server (very straight-forward) - adding ftp, postfix for mail (if you want).

Its much better, than any sharedhost in my opinion. Amazon give you a free dedicated US IP plus all the world class standard of amazon's network.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Pebcak: 6:45am On Nov 30, 2016
shocked
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by sassiemyk: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2016
Pls my Co Nairalanders, How can one open a thread or make fresh topics on Nairaland. Any ideas pls. Urgent response. Thanks
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:53am On Nov 30, 2016
sassiemyk:
Pls my Co Nairalanders, How can one open a thread or make fresh topics on Nairaland. Any ideas pls. Urgent response. Thanks

=>Go to nairaland homepage

=<Click on any of the sections u want to create a thread @ d top of the page. Eg, politics, crime, phone, romance etc.
=> click on create new topic. Den viola u'r set

N/B; always search nairaland through the search box ontop to make sure what u r abt posting haven't been posted before

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Efewestern: 6:56am On Nov 30, 2016
No matter what I can't recommend Nigeria hosting to my enemy , I remember how Smartweb Deleted my entire site without any notification, Thank God I got a backup of my database somewhere.

Foreign host is quite expensive, but atleast we have peace of mind.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Efewestern: 6:58am On Nov 30, 2016
UncleJJ:
I still cant understand why anyone would like to host his site in Nigeria or host his site on boxes managed by Nigerians.

Its bad for business. Even, the so called shared host have downtime issue's now and then. Sometimes, you get your site suspended for traffic spikes or some breach of the tos without warning.

In my new thread, i shared info regarding amazon ec2 and how you can get free cloud hosting for $1 - for 12 whopping months. Eventhough, what you get is a empty box with a basic firewall, and you need to build a server (very straight-forward) - adding ftp, postfix for mail (if you want).

Its much better, than any sharedhost in my opinion. Amazon give you a free dedicated US IP plus all the world class standard of amazon's network.

Exactly
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by coolplanet: 6:58am On Nov 30, 2016
Thanks for enlightening us op.do u feel Godaddy is secured for doing online store business.And can you tell us more that are reliable.Thanks
I learnt google is now hosting too at $12 per year,can you confirm this.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:13am On Nov 30, 2016
I was gonna come out guns ablazing but then I looked at the date of this thread and holstered my weapons. grin.

I have NEVER used a foreign host. The only hosting comonay I use is Qservers and I have never had a cause to complain. Their customer service is Top Notch. Always ready to assist if you have a problem.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by adexsimply(m): 7:22am On Nov 30, 2016
I've made up my mind to stop patronizing them all. The most infuriating part is the way they just suspend your account and reset without given any form of warning angry
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by yusufu16: 7:30am On Nov 30, 2016
I dont understand this MOD. This post was made on May 2013 and its on Frontpage 2016
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 30, 2016
TroubleMaker47:

=>Go to nairaland homepage

=<Click on any of the sections u want to create a thread @ d top of the page. Eg, politics, crime, phone, romance etc.
=> click on create new topic. Den viola u'r set

N/B; always search nairaland through the search box ontop to make sure what u r abt posting haven't been posted before

Then include Cc:lalasticlala ,snake,boobs for front page.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by TroubleMaker47(m): 7:47am On Nov 30, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

Then include Cc:lalasticlala ,snake,boobs for front page.

Abi oo cheesy
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by olatpic(m): 7:56am On Nov 30, 2016
Hmm...2013?
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Standing5(m): 8:02am On Nov 30, 2016
yusufu16:
I dont understand this MOD. This post was made on May 2013 and its on Frontpage 2016
It is all about content dude. If the content is relevant in 2016 context then no problem.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by yusufu16: 8:12am On Nov 30, 2016
Standing5:
It is all about content dude. If the content is relevant in 2016 context then no problem.

If it was irrelevent in 2013 how is relevant in 2016. Events has taken over its relevance. How is relevant when you have less than 1500 views even with it been on Frontpage.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Standing5(m): 8:17am On Nov 30, 2016
yusufu16:

If it was irrelevent in 2013 how is relevant in 2016. Events has taken over its relevance. How is relevant when you have less than 1500 views even with it been on Frontpage.
Who told you it was irrelevant? The web section topic generally have low views.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by yusufu16: 8:26am On Nov 30, 2016
Standing5:
Who told you it was irrelevant? The web section topic generally have low views.

How do you justify that those hosting companies in 2013 have not improved in 2016. You said you cannot pay with credit card for godaddy, now I pay for hosting service with my debit card. I have used syskay, whogohost, web4africa and they are all fantastic.

Things have changed my brother. This post is irrelevant
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by DedeNkem: 9:17am On Nov 30, 2016
Nigerians are terrible in managing anything!
They would rather loot the money meant for maintenance!
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by JohnNgene: 11:10am On Nov 30, 2016
I host with GoDaddy too.

I think another disadvantage of hosting with Nigerian hosting companies is that if your content is controversial, the Nigerian government can easily bully them into shutting down your site.
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by Revolva(m): 11:14am On Nov 30, 2016
this is why I don't use Mauna webhosts
Re: The Problem With Most Nigerian Web Hosts. by ugojaysly(m): 9:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
Qservers is one Nigerian hosting company whose services are really reliable and affordable

(1) (Reply)

How To Hack Any ATM Machine And Collect A Lot Of Free Money / This Is How Much I Currently Make On Youtube Being A Nigerian Youtuber / How To Make Serious Money Dropshipping In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.