Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

What Happens To Your Shares After Death? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Happens To Your Shares After Death? (4486 Views)

Your Shares Certificates Are They Safe In Your House? / Want To Sell Your Shares / Looking For A Buyer For Your Shares? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by Elai147: 8:32pm On May 05, 2013
Have you ever thought about what will happen to your stock/share investment when you die? I'm sorry to say this but death is inevitable and I was just wondering what will happen to my stock market investment upon my death. Inheritance claim in Nigeria can sometimes be very difficult especially if the deceased died intestate. When we buy shares in the secondary market or open our CSCS accounts, there is usually no option for us to indicate our next of kin. So how can our love ones convince the NSE or the Registrars about being the rightful beneficiaries or about their relationships with the deceased especially in a country like ours where there is almost no birth or death record?

My main question are: what is the best thing to do now that we are still alive in order to make it easy for our families to inherit our share investment when we are no more? For aged investors, writing a will may be helpful during inheritance claim but what about the young investors who, of course, may not think of writing a Will at a young age? Are we supposed to contact CSCS or NSE and indicate our interest to state our next of kin? Has anyone experienced a case of somebody trying to inherit the shares investment of his/her late relative? How easy or difficult was it and what is the process to follow? Thanks for contributing.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by NwaNimo1(m): 10:35am On May 06, 2013
It goes to your next of kin . . .

Make sure everything is listed and included in your will - otherwise they will become dormant and eventually 'swindled' by some sharp dude.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by question(m): 10:39am On May 06, 2013
Portfolios and Accounts opened with most stock brokers has "next of kin" options.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by konn: 10:41am On May 06, 2013
it should go to ur next of kin and it should be properly stated on the form and ur next of kin should be aware of such share so that the person can claim in case something happens to u
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by Seun(m): 10:43am On May 06, 2013
For aged investors, writing a will may be helpful during inheritance claim but what about the young investors who, of course, may not think of writing a Will at a young age? Are we supposed to contact CSCS or NSE and indicate our interest to state our next of kin?
As a young person who is worried about what will happen to your shares after death, there is no reason not to write a basic will right now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by barag(f): 10:49am On May 06, 2013
In law, there's somethin called transmission of shares. dts d method tru wch shares can be transferred to ur next of kin upon ur death. if ur next of kin has d share certificates then they'l present them at d company concernd n d after goin trud process required, d shares wil be transmitted to them. this happens whether u die testate or intestate.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by ibitomisi: 10:49am On May 06, 2013
next of kin of course.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by ghetomum: 10:54am On May 06, 2013
how ist going to know when is dead na waoo for tread oo
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by okoraforaboy: 11:04am On May 06, 2013
so,what if the person has other investments,but he did not put anything like next of kin,how can the children,the relative claim it?
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by Elai147: 12:49pm On May 06, 2013
@All, thanks a lot for your contributions.

@Seun, I think it makes a lot of sense writing a basic Will even at a young age and perhaps make necessary changes as time goes on. I hope it is possible to make changes to Wills. Thanks.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by Kunleoduwole(m): 9:44am On Sep 16, 2014
My mom has shares in PZ. And she is late.How do I benefit from the shares as her son.i have some of the certificates with me.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 5:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
..and what happens when the Next of kin' is not aware of the shares?
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by Elai147: 11:10am On Sep 23, 2014
Kunleoduwole: My mom has shares in PZ. And she is late.How do I benefit from the shares as her son.i have some of the certificates with me.

https://www.nairaland.com/1564358/accessing-shares-properties-late-relatives
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
In the book of ecclasiastes, the wise King solomon says:

The fools gather wealth without knowing who will use it.

The wise gather wealth to be squandered by the fool he left behind.

Everything u gather this world is vanity.

Read chapter 2 from verse 4::

4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.

5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.

6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees.

7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.

8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man's heart.
9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my labor,
and this was the reward for all my toil.

11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun.

Wisdom and Folly Are Meaningless

12 Then I turned my thoughts to consider wisdom,
and also madness and folly.
What more can the king's successor do
than what has already been done?

13 I saw that wisdom is better than folly,
just as light is better than darkness.

14 The wise have eyes in their heads,
while the fool walks in the darkness;
but I came to realize
that the same fate overtakes them both.

15 Then I said to myself,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said to myself,
"This too is meaningless."

16 For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise too must die!

Toil Is Meaningless

17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me.

19 And who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless.

20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun.

21 For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune.

22 What do people get for all the toil and anxious striving with which they labor under the sun?

23 All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless.

24 A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,

25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

26 To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Re: What Happens To Your Shares After Death? by lokeey: 10:12am On Jan 27, 2017
learn video editing in 2weekends,be self employed. (Adobe Premiere Pro+After Effects #14k) ... Graphic design (corel draw/photoshop #14k) ...Mr.Gabriel 08133722555, 08180917160 lagos.
3 eleshi street obalende lagos, call me before Wednesday cus training is starting by friday 10.30am

(1) (Reply)

Architectural Design Of 4 Bedroom Penthouse For A Plot Of Landl / Invest In The Glass House Estate, Adron Homes & Properties LTD / Good News For All MMM Participants. No More Fear, No More Panic!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.