Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,485 members, 7,801,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. (18759 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / New Tinted Permit / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by yhemster(m): 3:05pm On May 06, 2013
I was planning for my vacation in EU and was checking how I can legally drive in that part of the world. So I realized one could get an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in EU and most countries of the world except few countries that includes Nigeria, China, Brazil and Somalia. Well, my questions to the lawyers and other political professionals in the house are, Can we (the citizens who reside outside the country) petition the federal government to explain why the country does not accept the IDP? And also, Can we petition the National Assembly to work and pass a bill legalizing the use of the IDP in Nigeria?
As those of us who visit Nigeria often know that getting an original drivers licence is stressful and time wasting task, the use of IDP in Nigeria can be the solution for now.

The IDP is a document recognized by many countries which allows the permit-holder to drive a private motor vehicle in that country. To be valid the IDP must be accompanied by a valid license from the home country. The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of the permit-holder's normal driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. In most countries however, short term visitors do not need to posess an IDP since the licence of the home country is recognized and permits one to drive in the host country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_that_Recognize_International_Driving_Permit.svg
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2013
Because nigeria has no driving system.No policies,no formations and no alliances.

Same in everything as a result of gross moral decadence.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by momodub: 1:19pm On May 07, 2013
coolnija driving na die ooo
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by yuzedo: 1:20pm On May 07, 2013
Because Nigerian Driving Permit is not allowed Internationally! undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by coogar: 1:21pm On May 07, 2013
redsun: Because nigeria has no driving system.No policies,no formations and no alliances.

this is very harsh!
how can you speak ill of the country that birthed you in such a crude manner. what has gross moral decadence gotta do with it?

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by GentleNaaz(m): 1:22pm On May 07, 2013
Guy u no get google 4 fon?
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 07, 2013
Its because "Y" has two heads and a long tail..
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Lilimax(f): 1:23pm On May 07, 2013
How original is our own driving permit??
Have we gotten it right??
Even obtaining a valid driving liscence is a whole lot of problem
in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 07, 2013
Can half of the people in Nigeria drive ? They drive like mad !!! grin grin
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 07, 2013
Because our road safety official will nt allow u driving and smoking and kissing your babe at the same time why u kill iya sikirat frying akara by the road side. U cum and let us teach u how 2 do it the Nigerian way

3 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Daewoods(m): 1:26pm On May 07, 2013
Because probably, most Nigerians dont drive cars, we still use donkeys and camels. lipsrsealed
And even the beasts of burden we use, we still drive like hell,while swearing curses on other beast of burden users.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 07, 2013
Nigeria is once again one step backward for God sake IDP supose to be allow in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Notion(m): 1:30pm On May 07, 2013
we have crazy drivers that need their brain to be tested tongue
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by gbokukueba(m): 1:30pm On May 07, 2013
yuzedo: Because Nigerian Driving Permit is not allowed Internationally! undecided undecided

That is not true... I use IDP and my Nigerian Drivers License to drive in South Africa...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by cnwamo(m): 1:31pm On May 07, 2013
i'm sure your one. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Notion: we have crazy drivers that need their brain to be tested tongue
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by atilla(m): 1:31pm On May 07, 2013
I always though international driving license is not allowed in place of issue. So if you get one abroad you can use in naija

Does anyone know if that's correct

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by anonimi: 1:32pm On May 07, 2013
coogar:

this is very harsh!
how can you speak ill of the country that birthed you in such a crude manner. what had gross moral decadence gotta do with?

Harsh, yes but true.
And you don't resolve a matter by denying its existence or do you

3 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by solomon111(m): 1:33pm On May 07, 2013
redsun: Because nigeria has no driving system.No policies,no formations and no alliances.

who cares if it is international or not?.
Is the Nigerian driving permit allowed in many countries?
If you must drive in Nigeria,then you should get a Nigerian permit.
It's as simple as that.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 07, 2013
I think you can only petition the govt if they were part of an internationally signed treaty to the IDP. I also think other countries that accept it is at the govt's descretion.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by darlynlara(f): 1:35pm On May 07, 2013
lmao *wow dis fud is on point*
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by MANOSUB(m): 1:36pm On May 07, 2013
Nigeria gets part of her revenue from issuance of driver licences. I really do not think allowing IDP in Nigeria is necessary because it will be a duplication of functional system since you said that most countries using it also include their local drivers licence
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by ZUBY77(m): 1:36pm On May 07, 2013
I use United Nations permit here in Nigeria.. Though half of the police usually knows nothing about it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 07, 2013
BECAUSE NIGERIANS CAN FORGE MANY TINZ.D FEWER D RATE OF REQUIREMENT 4 A CERTIFICATE D FEWER D AVAILABILITY OF FAKE ONES.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 07, 2013
do they accept Nigeria's driver permit abroad
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Temismith(f): 1:42pm On May 07, 2013
Becos d roads are different undecided
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by jhydebaba(m): 1:43pm On May 07, 2013
wink wink

15 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by MANOSUB(m): 1:44pm On May 07, 2013
Notion: we have crazy drivers that need their brain to be tested tongue
which is why IDP can't be use here. Right?
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by yertyr(m): 1:46pm On May 07, 2013
When you start listing countries with high number of road accidents, Nigeria is ranked among the top 5. Like seriously, how many driving schools do we have?, how many driver know traffic rules and signs? How many good roads do we have? Are these not criterias 4 issuing this certificate or am I missing smth? The other day, Governor T.A Orji with his fleet of cars and 'security' forces opted to follow the lane of cars coming in the opposite direction just becos of a minor traffic jam in his normal lane; so u see, even our leaders ignore traffic rules... Smh
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by churific(m): 1:49pm On May 07, 2013
You have to take an extra course in "Evading Death" and "Near Death Experiences" before qualifying to drive in Nigeria. The International License is simply not enough!

*sarcasm

8 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Cool Suvs Made In Africa You Need To Check Out / Car Accidents: Some Facts And Statistics You Really Need To Know. / Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.