Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:55 PM

Help Me Re- Invent My Style - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Help Me Re- Invent My Style (15642 Views)

I Get My Style From My Sons – David Beckham / Sony To Invent WIGS With Built-in Computers And Wireless Internet / Canadians Invent Hands Free Toothbrush To Be Worn On Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On May 07, 2013
I've been wanting to do this for a long time but i've been postponing.

Basically, i'm a computer geek and if you're familiar with geeks, we're highly intelligent but not fashionable and this has made us not to be endearing to ladies. That's a perfect description of myself. To make matters worse, I'm a social recluse. I don't attend weddings, birthdays, church or any gathering for that matter and this is basicallly because I'm an introvert and as one, i really don't wear flashy or fashionable clothes. I just wear clothes because they cover me. But now i want to like re-invent myself and wear anything fashionable. The problem is that i don't even know where to start. I don't know the names of anything these days. The last time i was familiar with fashion items was in 2003/2004 when Timbaland, baggy jeans and Chinos trouser was the ish. Ever since fashion has left me behind but i want to catch up. I don't wanna look geeky anymore.

Basically i want to know what guys use and what they're called. I need items ranging from:

1) Body cream, Perfume, hair cream - I can't remember the last time cream touched my body. Lolgrin

2) Hair styles - whenever i go to my barber, he just starts barbing away because he knows that i don't do any special style. My own is just to uproat the hair on my head.

3) Wears(shirts, pants etc)

4) Wrist watches, necklaces etc

5) And any order thing.

Don't forget to tell me their names oo cos that's very important. I don't wanna embarass myself.

Thanks in advance

9 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 07, 2013
grin grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 07, 2013
You can wear 'Axe' body spray on your body.

As for lotion, you can get any one that is specifically geared towards men

For clothing, u don't necessarily need designer clothing, but u can still buy some nice red/blue long-sleeve shirts, and 'Wrangler' jeans.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by patwhizkid(f): 7:45pm On May 07, 2013
cheesy cheesy
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by LoveAmaka88(f): 9:42pm On May 07, 2013
It would probably be easiest for you to pick three or four different celebs who have a style or persona you'd like to copy. You don't need to be an exact copy or spend that kind of money, but you can use the looks as a general guide. No one can tell you how to dress, but it'll give you a guide of the type of this to shop for: blazers, sunglasses, jeans, dress shirts, slacks...

I know nothing about your height, body type, skin color, or hair texture so this is just a general suggestion. I also don't know your age, but certain styles are ageless.

These days it's about well fitting clothes made of quality material. It's not necessary to be flashy in order to get attention. Baggy clothes are complete out. Though skinny jeans are supposed to be in, you probably shouldn't wear those either. Since you say you are a geek, stick to being subtle and classy. Don't try to go extreme because it won't fit your personality.

http://pinterest.com/all/?category=mens_fashion

7 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Afam4eva(m): 10:14pm On May 07, 2013
CFCfan: You can wear 'Axe' body spray on your body.
Is "Axe" the name of the product?
CFCfan:
As for lotion, you can get any one that is specifically geared towards men
Like? I need examples.

Thanks
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Chinwem(f): 11:16pm On May 07, 2013
Interesting......good luck with your quest

Hope the young lady you re doing all this for will be impressed smiley

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 3:30am On May 08, 2013
With colognes, it really depends on the smells you like. I would suggest going to a cologne shop and inquiring about the men's colognes they've available. They have testers and you can figure out which smells you prefer that way. For body cream and hair cream, just use something moisturizing for each and make sure water is the first ingredient. Wrist watches and necklaces, again, this has to do with your own taste, as well as how much you can afford. Really, it's not necessary for anyone to start listing names. Concentrate on comfort and not names. I agree with LoveAmaka88, we don't know anything about your physical profile, so it won't be proper for anyone to start telling you the hairstyle that would suit you, the type of pants you should wear, etc. Maybe if you give us a picture to work with, we can give you direct tips. smiley

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by shilling(f): 2:53pm On May 08, 2013
Good advice. Also, look up lookbook.nu

LoveAmaka88: It would probably be easiest for you to pick three or four different celebs who have a style or persona you'd like to copy. You don't need to be an exact copy or spend that kind of money, but you can use the looks as a general guide. No one can tell you how to dress, but it'll give you a guide of the type of this to shop for: blazers, sunglasses, jeans, dress shirts, slacks...

I know nothing about your height, body type, skin color, or hair texture so this is just a general suggestion. I also don't know your age, but certain styles are ageless.

These days it's about well fitting clothes made of quality material. It's not necessary to be flashy in order to get attention. Baggy clothes are complete out. Though skinny jeans are supposed to be in, you probably shouldn't wear those either. Since you say you are a geek, stick to being subtle and classy. Don't try to go extreme because it won't fit your personality.

http://pinterest.com/all/?category=mens_fashion
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 08, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Kairoseki77: 3:19pm On May 08, 2013
21. Always post in proper English. The use of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation is compulsory.

Me no wan comply witchur roolz broda. I gots ma freedomz!

Be a bad boy like dis and women will be banging down your e-door to get with you.

6 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 08, 2013
LMAO! The thread has entered the frontpage grin grin
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by adexsimply(m): 3:19pm On May 08, 2013
me too sad sad sad
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by effisyman: 3:20pm On May 08, 2013
Ko ko ma ... i stand by!
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 08, 2013
As a man, your major worry should be making money.

When the dough comes believe me these things will gradually fall inti place.

Keep scheming

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 08, 2013
We have to see what you look like first to give proper advice!

Upload a picture of you or your look-alike

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by dopeJemi: 3:21pm On May 08, 2013

hau is ur head Like, I can heLp u with ur haircut, a man is not compLete without a cute hair cut wink I'm not a barber buh I'm obsessed with cute haircuts, e no get hairstyLe wey I never rock
grin

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by PopupBlocker: 3:22pm On May 08, 2013
If a geek is foine, trust moi, he won't be overlooked by the ladies.

Nobody wants un ugly geek

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by isalegan2: 3:22pm On May 08, 2013
It all starts with attention to detail, young blood. Some people notice everything. tongue
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by acidtalk: 3:22pm On May 08, 2013
Afam, I totaly understand how you feel because at one point of my life I was there.

Let me give you a brief history. I grew up with both parent who were fashionisters. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s seeing my dad putting on Macks and Spencer and tommy hilfiger boxers (never new those were even designers then). My parents had always being wearing expensive perfumes and wrist as far back as I can remember.

Long story short, I was an hippy up till my university days were there were some semesters I never repeated one shirt twice. I was known first by my clean and smooth dressing before my looks. In my year 3, the urge to start making money (real money began) I started hustling big time. Even though I was still a sleek dresser, the time and money I spend on fashion reduced. I graduated and straight went for service still making money and being way above average in my fashion style.

Then I got a place, a car had more responsibilities and more commitment in life and before I knew it, I was wearing barely 25 shirts (same) month in, month out yet having over a 100 in my wardrobe. Then it dawned on me I had become more of a hustling young man as against the previous hippy dude.

I got angry one day and emptied my entire wardbrobe leaving on 320shirts, 10 pants/trousers, 10 shoes and only 3 wrist watches (me that could never stay having less than 10 pieces of wrist watches at a go).

Now I will let you know I still never play with my perfumes. I look perfs and wrist watches and those are almost the two most noticed things on a man (your smell and the class you have on your wrist).

Now, as against my previous thoughts, I will need to go back to my fashionistic days because of some upcoming events. This is what I am planning to do and will recommend same for you.

* get at least 5 very nice and appealing shoes (3 black and 2 brown) for corporate meetings. You don't have to buy them at once. And you can get ranging from N8,500 -N35,000 depend on the make and where you are shopping.

* get like 4 very nice casual shoes (trainers, sneaker...whatever they call them now) maninly to waer on casual meetings and weekends. You can get them ranging from N4,000 - N12,500. Note; get only those ones that will look mature on you. Don't get what secondary and university school boys are rocking. Don't dress immature.

* have at least 3 very nice slippers /sandals. 1 black, 1 brown and maybe another white or blue. Slippers are lovely to wear on weekends when you go to the mall, lounge, cinema or just taking a stroll. Especially when you wear them on a 3/4 trouser.

* get shirts (monimum of 20). Have them in long sleeve and short sleeve. Depending on your frame, I love long sleeves but I have found out short sleeves are always perfect on me. Your shirts don't have to be extremely expensive but make sure they are of good quality, nice texture and not of dull colour. Your complexion determines what colour will best suit you. But ensure to have lots of white, blue and grey. Avoid colours like purpple, yellow, and heavy flowery shirts.

* have at least 7 trousers (black, navy blue, brown, cream) and 4 jeans (blue, black and any off colour).

* wrist watches. Depending on your age and stature select nice and unique wrist watches. I have stopped wearing chain wrist watches and wrist watches of big head. My wrist watches are mainly leather (Black, brown and white leather strap. I love them to be chronometer as well. But very unique piece. I won't give a range on thisbecause I like mine expensive. The last set I got in Cedi mall Accra were $430 but I sure know you can get very nice piece between N15,000 -N45,000

My brother please avoid all this fake and and obvious immitation Rolex, Omega, Rado and the rest. Depending on where you go, big men always know fake wrist watches, I personally know them and I don't appreciate them on a guy.

* Have a few base ball hats (face cap) and kangol hats. They could be nice on weekends.

*have a couple of 3/4 trousers of difference colour.

* Body spray. There are a few none expensive but very good body spray from as little as N500 - N1,500

* Perfume. Never Ever wear or buy an immitation perfume. It sucks. You can get the like of Japol, Euphoria by Ck, Givenchy (50ml) and lots more from and little as N7,000. Never ever underestimate the power of wearing a good perf. People always notice you wherever you enter.

*Body Cream. I went a whole 10years without rubbing cream for a single day. But 3 months ago I was touched by the spirit and I now us vaseline alovera. I buy it from shoprite and it is only N400
. Shebi na to rub something for body after bathing.

* Haircut. Always ensure you are on low cut. You can never ever go wrong with this style. It makes you appear neat, responsible and mature at all times.
Avoid Neck chains, bangle, earings. They never make you appear responsible.

I hope this little help. I just budgeted a substantial sum to do a little shopping by next weekend because I also need to get my grove back on.

26 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by imperiouxx(m): 3:23pm On May 08, 2013
Just pray for direction. And don't ask me how because Nairaland decree 21, subsection 11 says no .gif pictures.

Well, here I'm

Afam4eva:
1) Body cream, Perfume, hair cream - I can't remember the last time cream touched my body. Lolgrin

I use Vaseline. (1) Because of cold and (2) Because petroleum jelly is good for a healthy skin. It heals and hastens regeneration of proliferating skin cells (granular and malpighian layer). Got Right Guard body spray for men but only say hi to it once in blue moon...... Because I don't smell like He-goat. grin

Afam4eva:
2) Hair styles - whenever i go to my barber, he just starts barbing away because he knows that i don't do any special style. My own is just to uproat the hair on my head.

I cut low all the time (not gorimapa oo).... so sexy and makes you look mature.... that's if you're actually mature and not the type still into puppy-love or #twitter# boyz with extremely skinny jeans and pointed face cap and on top heap of hairs.

Afam4eva:
3) Wears(shirts, pants etc)

Hmmm.... use to wearing short sleeves polos (button neck or round neck), Tee shirt and will never wear skinny or slim fit jeans . One of my jeans and size is Lee Men's Dungarees Relaxed Straight Leg Jean, Vibe, 34x34. It has to be straight, boot cut and/or relaxed on shoes..... And not tapered.

Afam4eva:
4) Wrist watches, necklaces etc

My watch is Timex Men's T2N721 Intelligent Quartz Adventure Series Tide Temp Compass Black Leather Strap Watch and it's lovely. No chains of any kind.

Afam4eva:
5) And any order thing.

Don't forget to tell me their names oo cos that's very important. I don't wanna embarass myself.

One of my shoes is adidas Originals Men's Superstar ll Sneaker, though seems old but still have to go way back to join collections of new era grin Formal shoes has to be normal round front or slightly narrow front, ankle shoe which keeps pant trousers in place. No canoe type of formal shoes. My boot is a dub boot type Timberland Men's Earthkeepers Eurorock Dub Boot.

Want pictures, I'll give you.

And say me hi to that your babe(s)

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by elampiro(m): 3:24pm On May 08, 2013
This is really funny. It sounded more like a joke while reading, but the guy is serious.

Like you saying, I have made money after suffering years, now I want to come out of my cave. But don't do it too much, because you can never spend enough in fashion and cars.

The people you keep around you could be what will influence your taste. Don't buy too much of anything at a time, fashion changes now and then. You can start by getting a good person to supply your jeans, another to supply shirts and suits. You can aslo get a good place to get shoes. You start little, then everytime you look up, you see what you like or what your fiancee likes.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by jaki006: 3:24pm On May 08, 2013
Why trouble yourself contact one of this girls giving u all this ideas n take her out fun day for her and you will also get what u want simple........ I suppose u are at least moderately reach cos this ones get taste o.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by silverluci(f): 3:24pm On May 08, 2013
Ehen! a whole afam? Faceless forums are so misleading!

Whatever u choose to wear, whatever the style, just make sure you are very comfortable and you are your own person cos that's the most original style you can ever get!

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by dopeJemi: 3:24pm On May 08, 2013

start buying new Long-sLeeves, esp d ones with Ranks, I'll upload a photo of d kinda shirt I'm talking abt
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by jaki006: 3:25pm On May 08, 2013
Rich
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by dulphines: 3:26pm On May 08, 2013
Coconut oil will do for body cream. It may sound weird but it's great. At least it won't bleach you. Bleached guys suck!
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by spywareczar(m): 3:26pm On May 08, 2013
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:27pm On May 08, 2013
Seek a cosmetic expert for body cream & co.
As for wears, get nice jeans trousiers & shirts. You can also add pant trousiers.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by RedLight1: 3:27pm On May 08, 2013
hmmmmm. i kinda like this post

following
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by jacob05(m): 3:27pm On May 08, 2013
Need some Advice also
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by sleekcm(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2013
@Afam4ever, men don't use body cream or wear necklaces, unless you are woman in a man's body.

As for the rest of your post, if you are quite loaded, hit any top shopping mall/supermarket and shop till you drop.

If you are really a computer geek what to buy/style shouldn't be a problem. You've got the internet mate!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

All About The Au Natural! / Black Girls With Blonde Hair = No No / Here Are The 8 Things That Defined You As A Fashionista In The 90s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.