Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

A Question For The 'Believer'... - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For The 'Believer'... (4732 Views)

10 Proven Ways To Overcome Temptation As A Believer / Clothing And The Believer In A 'Modern World' / The Rapture: The Believer’s Hope – Pastor Chris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 4:38pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Good, Bella..........good.

hmmm:-/

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: I guess i need prayers coz am entirely lost here.
Are you trying to say that God knows the future, bt at the same time isnt sure it'll come to pass? I dont know how an author can know how a story will end, at thesame time gives his characters freewill.
If God is omiscient, then he knows those destinied for hell.
I guess this isnt something you understand by mere common sense. Is there a particular verse that says God is omniscient? Thanks for all the humble replies, very much appreciated.

I'm not sure it's my post you're responding to, Bella, but I think I have something to say to the above.

The starting point for the believer is this: God cannot lie. If God says that we are to choose our own path, then it must be true that we have the facility to make choices. And if God says to that He knows the end from the beginning, then God must know our future. That is where a believer naturally begins.

Now, if the believer is hard-pressed to see how the two can meet, he can ask questions as you have and seek understanding in the place of communion with the Lord, although this is not that important a question at all and hardly warrants that much attention except for the purpose of shutting the mouths of the Lord's accusers. Edit: but the believer does not accommodate at all doubt as to the veracity od what God says. To the believer, God is always true even if everything has to be a lie for it to be so.

God knows the future because He exists outside time. He knows what you'll do and what you'll choose because He's in the future with you seeing you do and choose it. Time is like a video showing all of its frames at once to the Lord so He has perfect knowledge of all that's happening in it without having to determine any of it. Do you understand that, Bella?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by PastorOluT(m): 4:50pm On May 08, 2013
[quote
author=Bélla3]
I guess this isnt something you understand by mere common sense. [b].[/quote]

From your own very words sis, spiritual things can only be spiritually discerned.

My advice to you is that you focus on your personal growth in Him and grow in grace 2 Peter 3:18.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by JeSoul(f): 4:53pm On May 08, 2013
Striktlymi...your pictures again angry common now...lets not trash out the topic - this is how it starts. Thank you sir!
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by PastorOluT(m): 4:55pm On May 08, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

From your own very words sis, spiritual things can only be spiritually discerned. Though this things are not difficult to comprehend but we sure do no have a perfect knowledge concerning it, when you trust Him enough you will know enough to understand there is no contradiction.

My advice to you is that you focus on your personal growth in Him and grow in grace 2 Peter 3:18.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Qkeyxyz: 4:56pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: Lately i have been doing alot of thinking because of this question: 'how can God give freewill, at thesame time be omniscient (ie be know all things- past, present and future)?'

Two issues here: free will and omniscience.

Free will is the freedom to choose; you are free to choose good, you are also free to choose evil. A man who shoots himself in the head clearly has the intention to die right. Likewise, a man who chooses armed robbery as a "profession" knows that he might wind up in jail or dead. SO free will is the freedom to choose as path or pattern of behaviour as well as it's destination or consequences.

Omniscience: Has god not said "if you choose this and that, then such and such will be the consequences...". This is omniscience. ie: knowing the end(consequences) from the beginning(choices).
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 08, 2013
JeSoul: Striktlymi...your pictures again angry common now...lets not trash out the topic - this is how it starts. Thank you sir!

Evening Jesoul,

Are pictures prohibited? But LB has his very own pics and nothing was said about it. I thought you were only particular about the size...
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I'm not sure it's my post you're responding to, Bella, but I think I have something to say to the above.

The starting point for the believer is this: God cannot lie. If God says that we are to choose our own path, then it must be true that we have the facility to make choices. And if God says to that He knows the end from the beginning, then God must know our future. That is where a believer naturally begins.

Now, if the believer is hard-pressed to see how the two can meet, he can ask questions as you have and seek understanding in the place of communion with the Lord, although this is not that important a question at all and hardly warrants that much attention except for the purpose of shutting the mouths of the Lord's accusers. Edit: but the believer does not accommodate at all doubt as to the veracity od what God says. To the believer, God is always true even if everything has to be a lie for it to be so.

God knows the future because He exists outside time. He knows what you'll do and what you'll choose because He's in the future with you seeing you do and choose it. Time is like a video showing all of its frames at once to the Lord so He has perfect knowledge of all that's happening in it without having to determine any of it. Do you understand that, Bella?

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

Free will is the freedom to choose; you are free to choose good, you are also free to choose evil. A man who shoots himself in the head clearly has the intention to die right. Likewise, a man who chooses armed robbery as a "profession" knows that he might wind up in jail or dead. SO free will is the freedom to choose as path or pattern of behaviour as well as it's destination or consequences.

Omniscience: Has god not said "if you choose this and that, then such and such will be the consequences...". This is omniscience. ie: knowing the end(consequences) from the beginning(choices).

Good but omniscience is more than knowing consequences and choices.......it is knowing everything and hence, there is no real choice with God. He knows the path you will take and the exact time you will die
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by JeSoul(f): 5:23pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: I guess i need prayers coz am entirely lost here.
You're not "lost" sis. Sometimes, truth takes time. You're asking questions and thinking - you're on the right track.

Are you trying to say that God knows the future, bt at the same time isnt sure it'll come to pass? I dont know how an author can know how a story will end, at thesame time gives his characters freewill.
No, not quite sis. Consider these two statements at the heart of your question...(I'll provide scripture verses in a sec)

1God is omniscient & knows all things - past, present & future.
2God gave human beings freewill to make independent choices

So how can an Omniscient God simultaneously also permit freewill? The two statements overlap - but they don't contradict. God knows what you will do, and the choices you will make - and He works within those choices that Bella will make to bring about His ultimate plan. This is very different from saying He controls or determines Bella's will. I hope you see this subtle but very important distinction. He will weave the choices that Bella makes, into the choices that Jesoul makes, into the choices that Ihedinobi makes - into a woven fabric that represents His ultimate will. He can and does this because He is God, and nothing is impossible for Him to do.

If God is omiscient, then he knows those destinied for hell.
Yes He does. And it doesn't negate the fact that those people still have the ability to choose for themselves.

I guess this isnt something you understand by mere common sense.
Indeed it isn't. But don't be discouraged. As many who freely ask, shall freely receive, wisdom & knowledge to understand His ways.

Is there a particular verse that says God is omniscient?
Just a few...
Psalm 139:15–16
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

1 Kings 8:39
39 then hear in heaven your dwelling place and forgive and act and render to each whose heart you know, according to all his ways (for you, you only, know the hearts of all the children of mankind)

1 John 3:20
for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything

Isaiah 46:9–10
9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done , saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Psalm 139:4
4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.

Thanks for all the humble replies, very much appreciated.
Thanks for the opportunity to divide God's word unto the edification of the saints smiley. Godbless!

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by JeSoul(f): 5:27pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Evening Jesoul,

Are pictures prohibited? But LB has his very own pics and nothing was said about it. I thought you were only particular about the size...
No oga sir, pictures are not prohibited - derailing a thread is what I'm refering to in this case. Whether it is pictures, gifs or cartoons. Thank you dude, highly appreciated.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 08, 2013
JeSoul: No oga sir, pictures are not prohibited - derailing a thread is what I'm refering to in this case. Whether it is pictures, gifs or cartoons. Thank you dude, highly appreciated.

Okay ma'am...I will keep quiet and just observe...
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 08, 2013
JeSoul: You're not "lost" sis. Sometimes, truth takes time. You're asking questions and thinking - you're on the right track.

No, not quite sis. Consider these two statements at the heart of your question...(I'll provide scripture verses in a sec)

So how can an Omniscient God simultaneously also permit freewill? The two statements overlap - but they don't contradict. God knows what you will do, and the choices you will make - and He works within those choices that Bella will make to bring about His ultimate plan. This is very different from saying He controls or determines Bella's will. I hope you see this subtle but very important distinction. He will weave the choices that Bella makes, into the choices that Jesoul makes, into the choices that Ihedinobi makes - into a woven fabric that represents His ultimate will. He can and does this because He is God, and nothing is impossible for Him to do.

Limiting God again? God works within choices?

Why would an omnipotent being work within choices when he knows the path from beginning to end? In reality no one truly makes any choice if there is an omnipotent being.

Bella wants to maker her hair- fringe vs dreads. Bella chooses a fringe.

Bella didnt make a choice as God knew that she would make a fringe hairstyle on that day even before she was born
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 08, 2013
@JeSoul

Darling sis, I believe you understood her need better than I did. Grace be multiplied to you, sis. smiley

@Lb

What's with the pic?

And, uh, stop making such a joke of yourself. Just a lil friendly advice regarding your answers to JeSoul wink
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Limiting God again? God works within choices?

Why would an omnipotent being work within choices when he knows the path from beginning to end? In reality no one truly makes any choice if there is an omnipotent being.

Bella wants to maker her hair- fringe vs dreads. Bella chooses a fringe.

Bella didnt make a choice as God knew that she would make a fringe hairstyle on that day even before she was born

Sorry Jesoul but I really got to say this:

LB, your logic up there is NOT sound and kinda disappointing...
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Sorry Jesoul but I really got to say this:

LB, your logic up there is NOT sound and kinda disappointing...

Thank God your opinion has nothing to do with facts.

The logic in my post is so simple and clear.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: @JeSoul

Darling sis, I believe you understood her need better than I did. Grace be multiplied to you, sis. smiley

@Lb

What's with the pic?

And, uh, stop making such a joke of yourself. Just a lil friendly advice regarding your answers to JeSoul wink

Lol........maybe you missed Bellas reply to Jesouls first post.

I am enjoying this....you guys failing to answer Bellas question.

As for the pic, i could only laugh at your bumbling sophistry
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Qkeyxyz: 6:08pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Good but omniscience is more than knowing consequences and choices.......it is knowing everything and hence, there is no real choice with God. He knows the path you will take and the exact time you will die

Everything in existence is based on path(pattern, choices) & consequences\destination. From sex to pregnancy, birth, growing, living and death. mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc. Everything has a pattern leading to a defined outcome. This is the principle of God's omniscience. Knowing the end from the beginning.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lol........maybe you missed Bellas reply to Jesouls first post.

I am enjoying this....you guys failing to answer Bellas question.

As for the pic, i could only laugh at your bumbling sophistry

If wishes were horses...and all that. Yawn
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

Everything in existence is based on path(pattern, choices) & consequences\destination. From sex to pregnancy, birth, growing, living and death. mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc. Everything has a pattern leading to a defined outcome. This is the principle of God's omniscience. Knowing the end from the beginning.

Good. Agreed.

God knows all the patterns and the exact path one will take. Omniscience is knowing everything
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by JeSoul(f): 6:37pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Okay ma'am...I will keep quiet and just observe...
Uncle don't keep quiet now lol. Just focus replies on Bellas question and we can all discuss and get something profitable out of it. We can all learn from each other, all the side-shows are not worth it smiley. Muchos gracias sir.

Ihedinobi: @JeSoul

Nah...its great to get input from different perspectives - the more dividers are present, the more morsels are cut into pieces for us all to chew & be edified wink. I always enjoy your take no prisoners approach to issues, very refreshing! smiley
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 08, 2013
JeSoul: Uncle don't keep quiet now lol. Just focus replies on Bellas question and we can all discuss and get something profitable out of it. We can all learn from each other, all the side-shows are not worth it smiley. Muchos gracias sir.

Okay ma'am...no more side shows...

#Might say a bit when I get home.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Kay17: 6:52pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: Hi Bella3 smiley

Um, quite a question you have there. smiley I hope the "skepticism" of the unbelievers is not getting to you. Even if it is, the Lord is more than able to keep them that have trusted in Him.

So I'll say first of all that even if God made His Creation deterministic by nature or semi-deterministic, He's got every right in the book to do so. After all, it's His Creation.

Second, the answer to your question, dear sis, is that God is not at all subject to time. In His reality, He does not have to look forward to a future or backward to a past. He commands time. Thus, He sees everything happening at all times as though it were all happening at once. He knows what decisions you will make in your future because He is watching you make them in the future at the very same time that you make them. So He does not "predict" the future as we would, rather, He witnesses it.

If God can do whatever with his Creation, can any value judgement be made about that?

Ok God always sees the future as a now, that doesn't still solve the omniscience/freewill problem. The thing with freewill is that the end product is undetermined and all chips are still in the hands of the free willed being.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:41pm On May 08, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I'd be lying if i say i do, but, ISORIT.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:46pm On May 08, 2013
Pastor Olu T: [/quote]thanks!smiley[quote author=Qkeyxyz]

^^^ more understandind. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: I'd be lying if i say i do, but, ISORIT.

I love you Bella kiss kiss kiss
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:52pm On May 08, 2013
JeSoul: You're not "lost" sis. Sometimes, truth takes time. You're asking questions and thinking - you're on the right track.

Thanks for the opportunity to divide God's word unto the edification of the saints smiley. Godbless!

AM LOST ON THE BOLD.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Bella3(f): 7:54pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

I love you Bella kiss kiss kiss
which kin love first? Person wife...

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: AM LOST ON THE BOLD.

smiley smiley smiley
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 08, 2013
Bélla3: which kin love first? Person wife...

You arent married, are you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jesus Christ, God The Son. Holy Ghost, God The Spirit. / The Duality Nature Of Jesus Christ / House On The Rock Projects Image Of An Owl (Moloch) During Communion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.