Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,095 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

A Question For The 'Believer'... - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For The 'Believer'... (4733 Views)

10 Proven Ways To Overcome Temptation As A Believer / Clothing And The Believer In A 'Modern World' / The Rapture: The Believer’s Hope – Pastor Chris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 9:52pm On May 09, 2013
JeSoul: [color=#006600] Psalm 139:15–16
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

^
@Jesoul

please excused my intrusion.

On that Psalms you quoted, i dont know the translation, but i wish to expressed a very strong reservation for it.

That translation is sending that Psalms 139:15,16 on an errand it was not ment for, it seems.

Though not perfect, this kjv conveyed a more realistic message of that Psalms:

"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."
(Psalm 139:15-16).
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Image123(m): 9:55pm On May 09, 2013
sad hope this will be of help, has helped me.
Some folks are in a walk to know/understand God more/better, while some are in a trek to undermine an understanding or attempted attempt to know God. The concepts of omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence are attributes of God. These words are not exactly in the Bible, so its good to be careful to DEFINE them according to the attributes seen/observed IN scriptures, not just on what we feel.
Omnipotence for instance excludes God lying. God cannot lie, cannot sin, etc. yet He can do all things. The fact that He cannot lie doesn't invalidate His omnipotence, though our understanding and logic may want so.
Same way, omnipresence is basically that God is everywhere. The question may be is God in my phone, book, your spittle, urine, pot of soup etc since He's everywhere. Such assumptions show some form of logic but a dearth of the concept of omnipresence. That God isn't in your socks doesn't mean He's not omnipresent, the issue is a good grasp of the concept.
have to continue in my next post, on phone.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 09, 2013
JeSoul:
My brother no wahala jare. I do have one wish of you though...that you'd be more selective about where you cast your pearls wink.

Yes, call me a swine. lol

You cant vex me today....Bella is on the way to being a skeptic

Evengelical atheist

Dancing azonto
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 09, 2013
Image123: sad hope this will be of help, has helped me.
Some folks are in a walk to know/understand God more/better, while some are in a trek to undermine an understanding or attempted attempt to know God. The concepts of omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence are attributes of God. These words are not exactly in the Bible, so its good to be careful to DEFINE them according to the attributes seen/observed IN scriptures, not just on what we feel.
Omnipotence for instance excludes God lying. God cannot lie, cannot sin, etc. yet He can do all things. The fact that He cannot lie doesn't invalidate His omnipotence, though our understanding and logic may want so.
Same way, omnipresence is basically that God is everywhere. The question may be is God in my phone, book, your spittle, urine, pot of soup etc since He's everywhere. Such assumptions show some form of logic but a dearth of the concept of omnipresence. That God isn't in your socks doesn't mean He's not omnipresent, the issue is a good grasp of the concept.
have to continue in my next post, on phone.

Cant and Wont

Omnipotence means that God can lie.......but he doesnt have to.

You cant even explain your own position.....smh
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Image123(m): 10:39pm On May 09, 2013
Omniscience is basically that God knows all things. This simply means He cannot be deceived as He can see both hidden and open. It also means that He CAN see the present, past and future. The analogy i said might help since it helped me is this. Its like we have many gadgets today like charts and graphs for projections and calculations and equipment that for instance tell that rain will fall, weather forecast, earthquake and sea tides, and medical test that say this person will be well/fit in six weeks or has three months to live, or will deliver male twins at so so date. Even so, God has a most sophisticated intelligence (omniscience) that sees the future, present and past, and can detect anything. Freewill is like when you tell a woman she's pregnant with healthy foetus and will give birth next month at time t, and then she gets careless with the pregnancy. The future may change, the baby may come earlier, or may come dead or deformed contrary to foreknowledge.If put under test again, projection will be different. This is sort of how omniscience works. This is not a teaching or doctrine, please. Just an analogy that might help. Its not in anyway perfect or exactly, God is greater.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 09, 2013
Ihedinobi:

You really can't help yourself, Lb, can you? You must peddle nonsense like your life depends on if, mustn't you?

So what if one person uses his free will to put himself in trouble? How does that take away from the fact that another person uses it to take hold of Life? One person who chooses Life, my friend, is worth more than a thousand thaf choose Death. smiley

Now, let's hear that characteristically silly roar of outrage, mm. smiley

Enyia, why does how God feels suddenly matter to you? How can He be feeling anything if He doesn't exist?

Anyway, how He feels will not make Him violate anybody's free will. Without free will, nobody could choose Life any more than they can chopse Death.

And what's that nonsense about a handful going to heaven? What are you reading? Toilet paper?

This guy, why do you do this to yourself? No one even understands your arguments, both christians and atheists.

You couldnt convince a monkey to eat banana at this rate.

If you were evangelical, your conversion rate would be -100 Epic fail!

Guy, just give up.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Image123(m): 10:45pm On May 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

Cant and Wont

Omnipotence means that God can lie.......but he doesnt have to.

You cant even explain your own position.....smh
Hebrews6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was IMPOSSIBLE FOR GOD TO LIE, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 09, 2013
Image123: Omniscience is basically that God knows all things. This simply means He cannot be deceived as He can see both hidden and open. It also means that He CAN see the present, past and future. The analogy i said might help since it helped me is this. Its like we have many gadgets today like charts and graphs for projections and calculations and equipment that for instance tell that rain will fall, weather forecast, earthquake and sea tides, and medical test that say this person will be well/fit in six weeks or has three months to live, or will deliver male twins at so so date. Even so, God has a most sophisticated intelligence (omniscience) that sees the future, present and past, and can detect anything. Freewill is like when you tell a woman she's pregnant with healthy foetus and will give birth next month at time t, and then she gets careless with the pregnancy. The future may change, the baby may come earlier, or may come dead or deformed contrary to foreknowledge.If put under test again, projection will be different. This is sort of how omniscience works. This is not a teaching or doctrine, please. Just an analogy that might help. Its not in anyway perfect or exactly, God is greater.

Do you people just say anything to make omniscience fit in with freewill?

An omniscient being's vision of the future is 100% certain

A projection is only an estimate for the future
========================

Your example in bold fails so hard
-God already knew that the woman will miscarry the baby even before the pregnancy came
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 09, 2013
Image123: ,
Hebrews6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was IMPOSSIBLE FOR GOD TO LIE, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Ezekiel 14:9
And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 09, 2013
**Peeps, sees so many cooks sweating over one pot of soup...wonders what is said about too many cooks and a pot of soup...seats and waits for the outcome**
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Image123(m): 11:26pm On May 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

Do you people just say anything to make omniscience fit in with freewill?

An omniscient being's vision of the future is 100% certain

A projection is only an estimate for the future
========================

Your example in bold fails so hard
-God already knew that the woman will miscarry the baby even before the pregnancy came
and you're the one in charge of this right definition of omniscience. My post wasn't exactly directed at you anyway, that will be a waste. Let's patiently wait for its true recipients, pele.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 11:36pm On May 09, 2013
There are TOO MANY coinage of words/concepts in christiandom that are not found in the bible itself but Given a definition according to human understanding and then attempting to use the bible to justify them.

Are the following words found in the bible itself? :

1. Ominisciece
2. Omnipotent
3. Ominipresence
4. Rapture
5. Purgatry
6. Limbo
7. "Immortalsoul"
8. Transubstantiation
9. Easter/christmas(etc)
10. Trinity

(I stand corrected if those ^ exact words are found in the bible)

humans having coined out those words and defining them end up creating confussion for themselves and for the bible.

Then started the debate that detracts from the essence of the bible simple message = eternal life for humans.

Smh.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:28am On May 10, 2013
truthislight: There are TOO MANY coinage of words/concepts in christiandom that are not found in the bible itself but Given a definition according to human understanding and then attempting to use the bible to justify them.

1. Ominisciece
2. Omnipotent
3. Ominipresence
4. Rapture
5. Purgatry
6. Limbo
7. "Immortalsoul"
8. Transubstantiation
9. Easter/christmas(etc)
10. Trinity

humans having coined out those words and defining them end up creating confussion for themselves and for the bible.

Then started the debate that detracts from the essence of the bible simple message = eternal life for humans.

Smh.

Wow, bending logic to fit the bible?

The reasons those words do not appear in the bible because the bible was written by unsophisticated Jewish barbarians who had a very rudimentary language.

Scribes, linguists and historians from the 11th century upwards till now have been updating the bible to make it seem relevant.

Just like how christians now say that God is behind the big bang. Could Moses explain space talkeless of the big bang?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:29am On May 10, 2013
striktlymi: **Peeps, sees so many cooks sweating over one pot of soup...wonders what is said about too many cooks and a pot of soup...seats and waits for the outcome**

Jesoul has told you to stop trolling.

If you had any sense, people are coming at omniscience from different perspectives. So it is not one pot of soup but many.

ekpa
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 6:30am On May 10, 2013
Image123:
and you're the one in charge of this right definition of omniscience. My post wasn't exactly directed at you anyway, that will be a waste. Let's patiently wait for its true recipients, pele.

Butthurt much?

Dont be disheartened by a superior argument cool
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:15am On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Jesoul has told you to stop trolling.

If you had any sense, people are coming at omniscience from different perspectives. So it is not one pot of soup but many.

ekpa

Butthurt!!!
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:24am On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Butthurt!!!

In the words of my yoruba friends “ko wole”..........“ko jo”

Doesnt follow......wrong application of butthurt
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 7:31am On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

In the words of my yoruba friends “ko wole”..........“ko jo”

Doesnt follow......wrong application of butthurt

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 9:42am On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wow, bending logic to fit the bible?

The reasons those words do not appear in the bible because the bible was written by unsophisticated Jewish barbarians who had a very rudimentary language.

Scribes, linguists and historians from the 11th century upwards till now have been updating the bible to make it seem relevant.

Just like how christians now say that God is behind the big bang. Could Moses explain space talkeless of the big bang?

The truth is very simple, if those words are not found in the bible they are not bible words simple!

"No long thing". wink
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 1:08pm On May 10, 2013
Atheist:-D:

Surely you dont buy all this stuff you just mentioned? Please tell me you dont? shocked

If God had so much love for us that He needed to create us then why didnt He do the LOVING thing and remove sin from us rather than killing us and committing all out genocide due to His fury at our weakness which He created in us. As our creator He is at fault for our evils nad sins. We should be allowed to sue Him for our ills in life.
i'm a bit curious about how we will appreciate good if there were no evil, how we will appreciate light if there were no darkness.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 1:09pm On May 10, 2013
Atheist:-D:

Surely you dont buy all this stuff you just mentioned? Please tell me you dont? shocked

If God had so much love for us that He needed to create us then why didnt He do the LOVING thing and remove sin from us rather than killing us and committing all out genocide due to His fury at our weakness which He created in us. As our creator He is at fault for our evils nad sins. We should be allowed to sue Him for our ills in life.
i'm a bit curious about how we will appreciate good if there were no evil, how we will appreciate light if there were no darkness. Unfortunately that isn't the point of the thread.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 1:13pm On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Seriously, bro?
seriously dear friend! In my theology Predestination isn't the same thing as omniscience and predestination isn't predetermination. Hence i asked you and still ask you.
What exactly is your point dear?

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 10, 2013
@Ube: I posted this on an earlier thread discussing same issue..
musKeeto: All the unnecessary obfuscations... Well, it was to be expected.

let's assume we have 5 points

A B C D E

God being God, knows that given an option to pick 3, a man might decide to pick any in whatever permutation. But this isn't omniscient.

Being omniscient means God knows exactly what options he will pick, and in what order. e.g B A C or D B A.

Like I said on an earlier thread, omnisicient isn't just about probabilities. God knows FOR CERTAIN WHAT will happen else, he fails to be OMNISCIENT.

The problem is this knowledge isn't limited to the now. GOD, BEING OMNISCIENT KNOWS WHAT MY UNBORN DESCENDANT 3 GENERATIONS AWAY WOULD DO.

They've not been born, yet their actions have already been known. By knowing, God has made them set. If they deviate from what God already knows, then God seizes to be omniscient. Else, their 'freewill' is just an illusion. They're only acting according to God's foreknowledge, just like the characters in a story must bend to the will of the writer.

Maybe my analogy is wrong... would like your views..
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 1:31pm On May 10, 2013
truthislight: There are TOO MANY coinage of words/concepts in christiandom that are not found in the bible itself but Given a definition according to human understanding and then attempting to use the bible to justify them.

1. Ominisciece
2. Omnipotent
3. Ominipresence
4. Rapture
5. Purgatry
6. Limbo
7. "Immortalsoul"
8. Transubstantiation
9. Easter/christmas(etc)
10. Trinity

Smh.
your understanding of language is just disturbing!

Very disturbing!

You don't need the exact words to be in the bible! Omniscient-know all thing, do you need the word omniscient to be there before you believe God is omniscient?? No. Does the bible say God know all things? Yes. Does that mean he is omniscient? Yes!

So how come you need the word omniscient in the bible?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 10, 2013
Ubenedictus: your understanding of language is just disturbing!

Very disturbing!

You don't need the exact words to be in the bible! Omniscient-know all thing, do you need the word omniscient to be there before you believe God is omniscient?? No. Does the bible say God know all things? Yes. Does that mean he is omniscient? Yes!

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 2:03pm On May 10, 2013
Hehehe,
musKeeto: @Ube: I posted this on an earlier thread discussing same issue..
Maybe my analogy is wrong... would like your views..
your analogy wasn't bad at all. That is why ihed views of God not looking according to the past and future is beautiful. But i wont go there instead i'll take your analogy piece by piece.

Yes, omniscience implies infallible knowledge. He knows exactly the sequence mr a will choose. If i am analising from my position in time i'll say God has forseen the choice mr a will make and has forseen it infallibly, mr a doesn't neccesarily bends to God vision, no! Instead God has forsaw mr a's choices. GOD SAW WHAT MR A WILL DO WITH HIS FREEWILL, he doesn't have to compel mr a.

Simply put human freedom isn't abrogated by the infalliable certainty of the divine prevision of future free action.
Just the way that through your remembrance you do not oblige that which is past to have occured, so God through His prescience does not compel that which shall be in the future to happen
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 2:09pm On May 10, 2013
truthislight:

The truth is very simple, if those words are not found in the bible they are not bible words simple!

"No long thing". wink
"bible word"?
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 2:11pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

*waving and smiling*

thank you, thank you!

1 Like

Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 4:27pm On May 10, 2013
Ubenedictus: your understanding of language is just disturbing!

Very disturbing!

Keep disturbing yourself, those words are not found in the bible, or, why not show us those words in the bible if they are bible words?

If you cannot show us those words in the bible, then, everly keep your peace cause those are not bible words. QED.

1. Ominisciece
2. Omnipotent
3. Ominipresence
4. Rapture
5. Purgatry
6. Limbo
7. "Immortalsoul"
8. Transubstantiation
9. Easter/christmas(etc)
10. Trinity

Smh.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 4:37pm On May 10, 2013
Ubenedictus: "bible word"?

Yes, not bible words.

If they are, show it to us or stop whinning.

This should be very simple. No?

Show us then!

Imagine!

See the confussion you people have created.

Just go ahead and show us, very simple for y'all to do. No?

Then, dont push it down our throat if you cant show us please. Aba! Na by force?

*sigh*
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by truthislight: 4:42pm On May 10, 2013
For a very bad job you are:
Ubenedictus: *waving and smiling*

Really!

When you could not show us where those words are found in the bible?

Smh for you.
Re: A Question For The 'Believer'... by Ubenedictus(m): 11:29pm On May 15, 2013
truthislight:

Keep disturbing yourself, those words are not found in the bible, or, why not show us those words in the bible if they are bible words?

If you cannot show us those words in the bible, then, everly keep your peace cause those are not bible words. QED.

and my point is that the words don't need to be found in the kjv for it to discribe a biblical reality!
I don't need to show you the word instead you should provide the authority that say a word shouldn't be used in a bible discussion if d word isn't in the bible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House On The Rock Projects Image Of An Owl (Moloch) During Communion / Shun The Love Of Money _pastor Chris / Errors And Biblical Contradictions In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.