Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

Student Visa Interview Frequently Asked Questions And Answers - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Student Visa Interview Frequently Asked Questions And Answers (15381 Views)

Polish Student Visa / Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / Guys Share Ur Us Visa Interview Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Student Visa Interview Frequently Asked Questions And Answers by Engineer1985(m): 8:44pm On May 09, 2013
Visa interview is an important step prior to the final confirmation of student visa approval for most countries including Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, UK and USA. Your interview could fasten or delay your visa processing. Therefore, it is crucial that you prepare for the interview and address all concerns of the visa officer.
The interview is taken by the ambassador or visa officer who may ask you a range of questions mainly to ensure that your application case is genuine and your intentions align with what is being written in the application form. The officer is a trained professional, who could ask multiple unrelated questions, not to annoy you but to know your real interests and objectives. If you are prepared, you can enjoy this process and meeting with someone who opens the door of a new country for you.
Note: Here, I will be using the UK as a case study, but the information will be helpful in obtaining visa to other countries like, the US, Canada, Australia, Poland, Ukraine etc.

The following are some of the important questions that the ambassador asks during the interview for the student visa

1. Why did you choose this university and how did you find it?
Tip: You should go through the website and handbook of your university carefully. Pen down some highlighted features such as World ranking, the research facility, the faculty profile, Alumni profile etc. Visa officer wants to know the reason behind joining the particular University. You should also mention the reason how you learned about the university.
This University is ranked highly especially in my field of study. I learned about this university while surfing on the net and then visited their official website to get more information about the university. I really got impressed with their Faculty profile and the course curriculum. The curriculum was very much similar to what I want to study.

2. Why did you select the UK for higher studies? Isn't this course offered by any university or college in your country?
Tip: You should mention the quality of education in the UK . If the course is not available in your home country, you can tell the VO that it is not offered in your country. If the same course is available in your country, highlight the differences in the quality of education and the course structure in your country and UK. You should convince the VO that doing this course from UK will add value to your profile. Talk
about a few researches being conducted in that field. Technical words work out when other things don't.
UK has always been the center of excellence especially in (mention your field here) and provides quality education by making students gain knowledge in a practical way as much as possible, so it is quite an obvious choice for me.

3. Why did you select this course? Is it relevant to your previous studies?
Tip: You should be very clear about your future plans after doing this course. Prepare a good statement mentioning about: How course is relevant to your previous degree, how this course adds value to you profile, why you are interested in doing this course etc.
This course is related to my previous studies and I have got a strong interest in this field.

4. Can you tell me the location of the university/college?
Tip: You should do some research on your university before visa interview. You should know its exact location and the location of different campus as well (if any). Location might be one of the reasons that you selected this particular university, so make sure that you know its exact location.
Yes. You should do some research on your university before visa interview. You should know its exact location and the location of different campus as well (if any).

5. What if you get a UK degree here, would you like to go to UK again for higher Studies?
Tip: You should be able to convince the Visa Officer that you are interested to do higher studies from UK because of high quality of education. Highlight the differences between doing education from UK and your home country. Tell VO that how doing education from UK will add value to your profile.
Yes, I would like to go to UK again for higher studies because of high quality of education and ample research facilities. And more over the quality of faculty is far better in UK.

6. What is the scope of your course?
Tip: Prepare a good statement mentioning about: How this course adds value to your profile and how this course will benefit you when you return to home country after completing your studies.
The course will open new horizons for me and there are excellent job prospects for me in India after completion of my course. Indian government is planning to open more research prospect in this field and a formal degree and education will help me in contributing in that.

7. Why are you taking this course?
Tip: You should be very clear about your future plans after doing this course. You should mention how this course is relevant to your previous degree, how this course adds value to you profile, why you are interested in doing this course etc.
I have got a very strong interest in this field and doing this course will provide me a specialization in my field of interest.

8. What is the course structure?
Tip: Visa Officer wants to know if you are well aware about the course. Go to the graduate school website and find out the course structure (Semesters and subjects) of your program.

9. Do you intend to work in UK after completion of your studies?
Tip: Visa officer wants to know your intentions weather you have plans to return to your home country after completing your studies or not.. You should read the immigration policies carefully on Embassy website.
No. After completing my studies, I plan to return back to my home country and join my father's business and will try to grow it.

10. What do you intend to do after completion of your studies?
Tip: Visa Officer wants to know your future plans and your approach towards our career and seriousness towards it. Most of the students in interview show strong ties to home country and family.
After educating myself in the latest technologies, I plan to return back to my home country and contribute in my family business. I also try to start up something of my own in future.

3 Likes

Re: Student Visa Interview Frequently Asked Questions And Answers by Stalemate(m): 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
Owkay. If you intend to staying abroad after your study, will it serve as an impedement to granting your visa?
Re: Student Visa Interview Frequently Asked Questions And Answers by Igwehmoz: 4:51am On Aug 09, 2018
Please is the same questions applicable at the German Embassy?

(1) (Reply)

Diaspora Commission Reacts To Video Of Woman Beaten At Nigerian Embassy, Italy / Lagos Red Line Rail: Sanwo-Olu To Commission Oyingbo Flyover / Nigeria 'consistently In Top Two' For Trafficking In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.