Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,553 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:54 PM

Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret (2899 Views)

4 Things Every Nigerian Realizes After Losing Their Travel Virginity / Easiest Way To Travel Abroad / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Revealedtv(m): 10:36am On May 10, 2013
***Still languishing in Nairaland's jail after being banned in the politics section by AFAM. Bail not set.

Anyways, this is a question I have always asked myself: Why do Nigerians, especially first timers, keep details of future travels secret until the very last moment? After numerous tries at the American embassy and listening to the stories of other people, i have come up with a few answers:

1) The Winchy, Bad Belle and Awon Aiye reason: I know the moderators might frown at this but I did it anyways. Nigerians are usually hesitant to tell others of their plans to travel because of the possibility that others may start wishing them bad and may even go the length to fast or pray against their progress. Traveling or the plan to go abroad in Nigeria is such a big deal that we (Nigerians) fast, pray and may even submit to a pastor's wishes. Only for the pastor, to say "Dont tell anyone until the appointed time". You can have a friend and would have known him/her for years and one day he tells you.."I will be traveling tomorrow oo, I just thought i should let you know". leaving you like

2) The Drug Mule: This may not be unconnected to the first reason stated above. The truth is that it is when some evil people (friends included) hear that you are about to travel that they set their drug plan in motion. The pressure itself can become overwhelming and may include threats. You have to watch an episode of "banged up abroad" to get an idea of the kind of pressure drug thugs can assert. However there is usually an atom of greed from the mule that enables him to want to transport their goods. But to avoid that situation totally, people would rather keep their travel a secret.

3) Baggage Overload: Once again, when the word goes round that you are about to leave the country, you start getting usual requests pleading for you to help transport one good or the other. You may have planned to carry one box on your travel abroad and next thing your aunt, friend or brother is calling, begging you to help carry dry fish, wheat, okro and the like. They make you see reason into it like "Those things are expensive here". God help you don't carry it...It means you cant visit and eat in their house or complain about what they give you to eat..."why there is no salt in your soup? Maybe if you had brought the bag of salt like i asked, you would not be complaining now". People do not usually consider the fact that you may have to pay a lot more for the overload.

4) The personal belongings tax officers: This one usually pertains to friends. It doesnt matter if you are only going away for a month, once your friends hear that you are about to leave, the next thing all your property immediately becomes their own. They will start to book your clothes, shoes, everything ahead of time. In their mind, anybody who travels abroad, especially to America, shouldnt be planning on coming back or will replace the things they took since in America, Channel, Louis Voiton and the rest stand at the airport and dash immigrants clothes angry. It is not just inanimate objects they take, your girlfriends, side chics, concubines are all fair game...

5) Shame of rejection: This one applies to applicants to the American embassy. After bragging to all your friends about how you will be leaving the country soon and how life is going to become better afterwards, you go to the American embassy and receive the dulling (rejection) of your life grin . Then you come home and have to explain to everyone that, some documents werent complete, this and that and you will appeal the decision. Then once again you are faced with your interviewer at the American embassy, armed with the complete document. In your mind, nothing can go wrong... The interviewers looks through your papers, goes to the back to consult with her colleagues while you are sweating in the booth. Next thing she comes out with a smile and says "Sorry..." .I have been there, done that and i can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience. Well lets continue, days pass, weeks pass and then it turns to months and your friends will be like "You nor dey travel again...". Some people sell their belongings, drop out of school for this same American issue only to be rejected at the end.

There is more i could have listed but i would love people to share their own experiences

3 Likes

Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Revealedtv(m): 10:37am On May 10, 2013
Moderator front page please!
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by zugoboss(m): 10:58am On May 10, 2013
On point
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Lilimax(f): 11:13am On May 10, 2013
Revealedtv:

1) The Winchy, Bad Belle and Awon Aiye reason: I know the moderators might frown at this but I did it anyways. Nigerians are usually hesitant to tell others of their plans to travel because of the possibility that others may start wishing them bad and may even go the length to fast or pray against their progress. Traveling or the plan to go abroad in Nigeria is such a big deal that we (Nigerians) fast, pray and may even submit to a pastor's wishes. Only for the pastor, to say "Dont tell anyone until the appointed time". You can have a friend and would have known him/her for years and one day he tells you.."I will be traveling tomorrow oo, I just thought i should let you know". leaving you like
The highlighted reason is more like it cos I have witnessed two instances like this that are not palatable.
My cousin was killed on December 28th 2010 when he attended a party with his friend. He was to travel to the US the next day being 29th. That same day we recieved a phonecall that they were involved in an autocrash and that my cousin was the only one dead in the incident.? The whole incident was investigated only to found out the he was killed by two of his friends out of jealousy. There was no scratch on his corpse when recovered except minor bruises on his neck.
The world is wicked angry

3 Likes

Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Nobody: 11:52am On May 10, 2013
justwise: @Revealedtv

Its very obvious that you have problem with yourself and not the Mods.
@ op FACT U RYT ON POINT......pple are wicked!
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Revealedtv(m): 2:27pm On May 10, 2013
I was taking advantage of now banned rule number 17 to make fun of other religions...It was supposed to be political satire but AFAM wasnt laughing grin... but at least seun got the point and struck the rule out shortly after.

Between, I don't understand why people who are down will just want to pull other people down. Like crabs in a bucket. Traveling abroad, experiencing new cultures should be fun and a thing of joy but instead during your visa process, you are left to keep it a secret like you witnessed an alien landing...Oh well, thats the country we live in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Revealedtv(m): 2:29pm On May 10, 2013
Lilimax:
The highlighted reason is more like it cos I have witnessed two instances like this that are not palatable.
My cousin was killed on December 28th 2010 when he attended a party with his friend. He was to travel to the US the next day being 29th. That same day we recieved a phonecall that they were involved in an autocrash and that my cousin was the only one dead in the incident.? The whole incident was investigated only to found out the he was killed by two of his friends out of jealousy. There was no scratch on his corpse when recovered except minor bruises on his neck.
The world is wicked angry

So sorry to hear that. There are just too many stories around of that sort. BTW the moderator of this section should help me with front page na!! embarassed
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Nobody: 7:39am On May 12, 2013
You guys are derailing this beautiful topic.. Go to complaint section....

At topic, another reason being that they start monitoring ur family for kidnap things

1 Like

Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by dridowu: 9:57am On May 15, 2013
I think bad belle pple and dissapointment @ d embassy
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 15, 2013
Revealedtv: ***Still languishing in Nairaland's jail after being banned in the politics section by AFAM. Bail not set.

Anyways, this is a question I have always asked myself: Why do Nigerians, especially first timers, keep details of future travels secret until the very last moment? After numerous tries at the American embassy and listening to the stories of other people, i have come up with a few answers:

2) The Drug Mule: This may not be unconnected to the first reason stated above. The truth is that it is when some evil people (friends included) hear that you are about to travel that they set their drug plan in motion. The pressure itself can become overwhelming and may include threats. You have to watch an episode of "banged up abroad" to get an idea of the kind of pressure drug thugs can assert. However there is usually an atom of greed from the mule that enables him to want to transport their goods. But to avoid that situation totally, people would rather keep their travel a secret.

3) Baggage Overload: Once again, when the word goes round that you are about to leave the country, you start getting usual requests pleading for you to help transport one good or the other. You may have planned to carry one box on your travel abroad and next thing your aunt, friend or brother is calling, begging you to help carry dry fish, wheat, okro and the like. They make you see reason into it like "Those things are expensive here". God help you don't carry it...It means you cant visit and eat in their house or complain about what they give you to eat..."why there is no salt in your soup? Maybe if you had brought the bag of salt like i asked, you would not be complaining now". People do not usually consider the fact that you may have to pay a lot more for the overload.

4) The personal belongings tax officers: This one usually pertains to friends. It doesnt matter if you are only going away for a month, once your friends hear that you are about to leave, the next thing all your property immediately becomes their own. They will start to book your clothes, shoes, everything ahead of time. In their mind, anybody who travels abroad, especially to America, shouldnt be planning on coming back or will replace the things they took since in America, Channel, Louis Voiton and the rest stand at the airport and dash immigrants clothes angry. It is not just inanimate objects they take, your girlfriends, side chics, concubines are all fair game...

5) Shame of rejection: This one applies to applicants to the American embassy. After bragging to all your friends about how you will be leaving the country soon and how life is going to become better afterwards, you go to the American embassy and receive the dulling (rejection) of your life grin . Then you come home and have to explain to everyone that, some documents werent complete, this and that and you will appeal the decision. Then once again you are faced with your interviewer at the American embassy, armed with the complete document. In your mind, nothing can go wrong... The interviewers looks through your papers, goes to the back to consult with her colleagues while you are sweating in the booth. Next thing she comes out with a smile and says "Sorry..." .I have been there, done that and i can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience. Well lets continue, days pass, weeks pass and then it turns to months and your friends will be like "You nor dey travel again...". Some people sell their belongings, drop out of school for this same American issue only to be rejected at the end.

There is more i could have listed but i would love people to share their own experiences

I don't believe in the first two but your pals and relatives mocking you when you got bounced is very ghastly. Just preserve, they will be the one begging you for one help or the other.
Re: Why People Keep Their Travel Abroad A Secret by 19naia(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2015
If they know you are leaving, they will even rob your locked up house while gone.. shocked

If they know you are returning, they will be waiting to rob you at the road side exiting the airport area.. shocked

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ten Most Dangerous Roads In The World. / Mexican Drug Cartel Massacre Immigrants In Cold Blood! / I Need Help If You Can

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.