Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. (748 Views)

Ben Bruce Blast Lai Mohammed:Lai Denies Saying Economy Is Out Of PMB Control(pix / Re: SE/Igbo Contribution To Nigeria’s Economy is Greatest. See how / Nigeria's Economy Is In Danger - Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by fckyourman: 3:27am On May 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0G56HXmjw

Africa business: he tailors cloth and curtians for a living, but Mr Okafor is worried the curtains are finally being drawn on his own small business in Lagos.

"The market is very dull, we are not selling anything," says Mr Okafor, standing outside his shop. "Sometimes you will come to market and start sleeping from morning to night because you can't sell anything!"

The range of challenges for Mr Okafor to do business in Lagos are numerous - in particular, few customers and no electricity. He uses a generator but many customers complain about the noise and the diesel is also expensive to buy.

"The real challenge is okada people - I used to enter okada to do my business. Some customers will demand that I bring the curtains to their home and before I used to go on bike so I could miss the go-slow on the road and get there on time. But since they stopped okada, we are no more doing that."

This means he can be on the road "from morning to night visiting only one person." But, before, he might be able to see three or four people in a day.

There is much hope and optimism for Africa business these days - but for many African traders, the reality is not living up to the hype.

The lack of okada also means less customers are able to get to his shop and, more importantly, don't have the disposable income to afford curtains because their money from the okada people has also dried up.

"I'm not feeling well about it," says Mr Okafor.

whatever the hype about Nigeria's growing economy - this is the reality on ground for so many small businesses in Lagos sha...
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by RickyRoss1(m): 5:19am On May 11, 2013
Nigerias economy is growing for real, but not everybody will feel the impact as at this time.

Even in China that has been growing for decades there are Millions of Chinese feel abandoned. In Brazil US says the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by Nobody: 5:38am On May 11, 2013
this is true for the world over dear.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by FrankC3: 6:26am On May 11, 2013
@OP
What data is backing up your claim? You can't just claim that Nigerian couples have an 'average of 9 children' because your neighbor has 9 children. If you are based in Nigeria, is the 'average' economy of people in you village worse today compared to 1999? I mean are you porer today compared to 1999?
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by ochukoccna: 7:50am On May 11, 2013
Frank-C:
@OP
What data is backing up your claim? You can't just claim that Nigerian couples have an 'average of 9 children' because your neighbor has 9 children. If you are based in Nigeria, is the 'average' economy of people in you village worse today compared to 1999? I mean are you porer today compared to 1999?
Stop been hiding behind your thumb finger
Nigeria is an economy where the GDP keeps improving on paper yet every human developmental indices keeps decling in reality undecided
Isn,'t this what Fela would term 'Gofment magic'? grin
If not this,what will you term it?
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by FrankC3: 9:57am On May 11, 2013
ochukoccna:
Nigeria is an economy where the GDP keeps improving on paper yet every human developmental indices keeps decling in reality undecided

Now you are talking. please, back up your claim with data for those human development indices in 1990, 1999, 2007, 2010 and 2012. With that, there will be no need for further argument. A lie told several times doesn't just become the truth.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by fckyourman: 12:55pm On May 11, 2013
ochukoccna:

i know right. people won't accept the truth every year is growth in gdp and doesnt affect the people.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by Demdem(m): 12:57pm On May 11, 2013
PAper Acheivement govt led by the retardeen. na wa ooo
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by fckyourman: 12:59pm On May 11, 2013
Demdem: PAper Acheivement govt led by the retardeen. na wa ooo

GEJ.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by Demdem(m): 1:01pm On May 11, 2013
fckyourman:

GEJ.

RETARDEEN Jonathan.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by fckyourman: 1:02pm On May 11, 2013
Demdem:

RETARDEEN Jonathan.

LOL
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by bloggernaija: 4:02pm On May 11, 2013
Go and read the book atlas shrugged by ayn rand. It will start opening your eyes to what is happening.
Re: Nigeria Economy Is Growing On Paper, Not In Reality. by fckyourman: 4:05pm On May 11, 2013
bloggernaija: Go and read the book atlas shrugged by ayn rand. It will start opening your eyes to what is happening.

your point is

(1) (Reply)

The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal / Packets Of Used Condoms Found In Boko Haram Camp! / Nigeria: One Out Of 1,500 Corps Members Qualifies During Employable Skills Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.