Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? (36275 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:32pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

Well am going to leave you to live with your illusion that tribe or religion does not matter to an average Nigerian during elections.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:35pm On May 12, 2013
payless:

Oyinlola was there as a military Governor between 1993 and 1996 during Abacha regime. Tinubu was there between 1999 and 2007.
grin yes bro. It's a mistake I saw and corrected immediately I finished posting. The correction is even reflected in what you quoted.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:38pm On May 12, 2013
emmatok:
I have been supporting your post until you. MMade the comment above.

Are saying that Yoruba Muslims are superior to Yoruba Christians.

Go check the history of the Yorubas you will always find great Christians.

Please don't allow these peeps pollute us with their religious views.

That's not what he meant. He didn't say "superior to". He meant that it "arrived before".

6 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by homerac7: 1:47pm On May 12, 2013
emmatok:

where did he say anything as you accused him of in the above? If you have a half working brain, you should know that excellent people are neither bound by religion or ethnicity, but it is individual achievement. what has christianity or islam got to do with success and sagacity? I guess you are from SS/SE, beause it is such mental fever of ethnic and religious narcissism that is currently ravaging people there. undecided undecided undecided

NB: mind you, I am from there.

7 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Inik(m): 1:52pm On May 12, 2013
A christian will one day rule Lagos.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by emmatok(m): 2:10pm On May 12, 2013
homerac7:

where did he say anything as you accused him of in the above? If you have a half working brain, you should know that excellent people are neither bound by religion or ethnicity, but it is individual achievement. what has christianity or islam got to do with success and sagacity? I guess you are from SS/SE, beause it is such mental fever of ethnic and religious narcissism that is currently ravaging people there. undecided undecided undecided

NB: mind you, I am from there.

And where did I say excellent people are bound by religion.

I was questioning his comment about Islam prominent among Yoruba before Christianity.

Where did he get that from.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by idumuose(m): 2:21pm On May 12, 2013
Please and please Ɣ☺u should not bring religion into
D politics of south-west.Religion wise,yoruba man is
Liberal.what has religion got to do with d development
Of lagos.Have Ɣ☺u ever heard that a moslem was given
A preferencial treatment over a christan in Lagos?See,d
Moslem south is by far better than d moslem north.In
Marriage,d moslem father does not care if d groom is a
Moslem or xtian.Fashola is married to a christian wife.
And Abimbola Fashola remains a christian.Tinubu is mar-
Ried to a Christian.Oluremi Tinubu remains a christian
Till today.It is pertinent to state here that while religion
Isn't the problem of a yoruba man,TRIBAlISM is his
Problem.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by ClitorialDept: 2:26pm On May 12, 2013
They skipped Rule 17 on the rule list.

You know what time it is.... wink
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by LUVTB(m): 2:29pm On May 12, 2013
All these people supporting fashola here are muslims majority are from Kwara state. Lets wait till 2015 and who told u that APC will win Lagos?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by pistol: 2:41pm On May 12, 2013
Reptyle:

My friend you are just chasing shadows! Religion has never and will never be a factor to consider in Lagos politics. All we are interested in is someone who will deliver on political promises made. It may interest you to know that both Fashola and Tinubu are married to practicing Christian women and have had absolutely no issues with the Christian population in Lagos. Do yourself a favour and lose this bias.

The are always quick to point out that d governors have xtian wives and I always laugh within me as this lie continue to hold sway.
in case u don't know,this is a political strategy to win the votes of majority xtians in the state..
If ur religion permits you to marry four wives,for variety sake,y not get an infidel among them not that the governors really love them and in most cases,the are closet muslims.
Those wives don't know that the are pawns being used to play games..smh for them.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by dayokanu(m): 3:13pm On May 12, 2013
pistol:

The are always quick to point out that d governors have xtian wives and I always laugh within me as this lie continue to hold sway.
in case u don't know,this is a political strategy to win the votes of majority xtians in the state..
If ur religion permits you to marry four wives,for variety sake,y not get an infidel among them not that the governors really love them and in most cases,the are closet muslims.
Those wives don't know that the are pawns being used to play games..smh for them.

Maybe if you can show that Tinubu and Fashola have 4 wives it might help your inane argument

4 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 12, 2013
KnowAll: When is Lagos State going to give that Igbo boy a chance. Akabusi has served both Tinubu and Fashola for 16 years now. Probably making him a deputy Governor would move votes en-mass towards ACN or APC. That is a food for thought! undecided

What happened when he wasn't made a deputy governor? ACN did not win a landslide? If that Igbo boy has a chance, he should contest for the highest post.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by asorocker: 3:28pm On May 12, 2013
sleekdot:

Why would you bother about SW Christians who produced Sir Michael Otedola as Lagos state governor.

Stop taking panadol for other headache and face your caves where nothing significant happens

When would an Osu be allowed to rule in your cave

I am bothered about Lagos because while Lagosians claim they dont discrimninate between Christians and Muslims the East claim and practice discrimination between christian and osu (osu is out caste )

Are Christians out caste in Lagos ?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by bloggernaija: 3:31pm On May 12, 2013
ndu_chucks: This is quite interesting. In an ideal situation, it is easy to say that religion does not matter, but we all know that there is nothing ideal about the Nigerian condition.

Nigerians will support politicians who have performed better than their underperforming counterparts, be they governors, senators, or presidents, as long as the performing poitician has shown some progress. This is the reason why the likes of Ibori enjoyed the support of his people despite the fact that he robbed them blind. His people will quickly tell you that Ibori's achievements are there for all to see. What nonsense.

Things to ponder:

SW leaders have been talking about these items as part of the plan for regional integration of the SW, Ogbeni Aregbesola may emerge as the successor to Jagaban Borgu, Tinubu, as the next SW leader. To this end Aregbe has been preaching to those who listen closely to him.

(1)He is calling for "Regional Integration" where all of the south west act as a single political and economic entity.

(2)He wants all state governments in the SW to adopt his plan for regional integration and establish Ministries for Regional Integration.

(3)In this new integrated SW, Lagos will be the economic nerve center.

This plan is apparently itemized in his so-called green book, a document which some say is patterned after Ghaddafi's Green Book.

Why is this document a secret document? If someone has the document, lets have a link to it. What kind of leaders will have a grand plan that is a secret to its constituents? SMH

The fact that this document is a 'secret' enables critics to claim that it is part of a plan to Islamize the SW since a majority of the SW governors(past and present) including Tinubu are muslims.

Regional integration is one step in the journey to say goodbye to all em folks
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 12, 2013
emmatok:

I never alluded to any of the two religions being superior... I was just stating the obvious about which of them arrived first before the other. Christianity came with the missionary - however, Islam has been there for eons.

Anyway, I'm a Yoruba Christian... wink
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On May 12, 2013
shymexx:

I never alluded to any of the two religions being superior... I was just stating the obvious about which of them arrived first before the other. Christianity came with the missionary - however, Islam has been there for eons.

Anyway, I'm a Yoruba Christian... wink
Are you sure? cos i heard majority of Lagos indigene are Muslims.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by bloggernaija: 3:45pm On May 12, 2013
KnowAll: When is Lagos State going to give that Igbo boy a chance. Akabusi has served both Tinubu and Fashola for 16 years now. Probably making him a deputy Governor would move votes en-mass towards ACN or APC. That is a food for thought! undecided

Not going to happen because of Achebeism ( holier than thou attitude , ojukwu like tendencies( a childlike lack of appreciation )and also territorialism( even if the territory does not belong to you).
Not to forget you guys like conjuring and are easily swayed by tales by moonlight and will continue repeating it even when it has been debunked.
No insults intended , just my observation .mind you I count Igbo boys as my friend and I have told them the same

3 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by asorocker: 3:48pm On May 12, 2013
sleekdot:

And is it the deep SAND port that is chasing them to Kano?

Leeches

Are you comparing Lagos with Kano,

If there were all Oil company headquarters were moved to Abuja/Niger Delta, If there were all Banking headquarters were moved to Abuja, If there were all Telecommunication company headquarters were moved to Abuja
If there were Maritime Deep sea Ports in the Costal Areas of Akwa Ibom, Cross river, Rivers, Bayelsa , Delta state and the Government Maritime headquarters (NPA,Shppers Council , NIMASA) were moved to Abuja/Niger Delta you can take it on me that you would not have as much igbos in Lagos than you presently have in Maiduguri.

Some people Nurtured a one city Country where everything was located in a congested , densely populated , water logged , over filled , dirty and environmentally degraded area , despite the professional advice to relocate to more accessible cities or even decentralize which they have refused , yet the go everywhere complaining about igbos being in lagos .

Why not rather push your leaders to go for con federalism or regionalism or even ask the Government to take away the national companies in Lagos rather than keep deluding your self believing that igbos are rushing to the south west.

The same irrdenta who have refused to even talk of joining their brothers in benin republic to form a country preferring to remain with people they have no cultural or language affinity , who rather than opt out of the country that has killed most of their leaders would prefer to loose 500,000 of their men fighting for the country they called a geographic expression are now beginning to realize igbos are coming to Lagos
What an irony and paradox !!!

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 12, 2013
Competence is the key word, not religion. Who cares what you worship?

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 3:53pm On May 12, 2013
grin so finally we are moving away from the question, "Will Lagos ever have a christian governor?"

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Gbawe: 4:06pm On May 12, 2013
Religion does not feed or employ anyone and I don't know why OP chose to whip up sentiments about the religious background of Fashola's choice when what was enunciated in the article he supplied makes issues crystal clear.

His choice was reportedly borne out of the desire to have someone who understands the workings of the state to succeed him.

It really is sad this forum is full of people who deliberately ignore logical and factual submissions to stoke the fires of division, discrimination, rancor and disharmony. Fashola, first and foremost, wants someone who understands his work, via being an integral part of it, to carry on after him .

That is commendable enough - since continuity is an issue with Nigerian politics - and the religion of the chosen candidate should not matter. Next minute we will hear Yorubas are tribalists. They are this and that. Yet we are not the ones making a big deal of religion, an issue we manage exemplarily well in the SW, when others want to always instigate hatred towards Islam.

Rather than concede what exist in the SW is how things should be we have forumers contributing the nonsense below as an example of the prejudice and bigotry some shamelessly display yet insist 24/7 is only to be found in others. Tiring the primitive, ugly and openly discriminatory garbage one reads here daily. If anything, the decency of the SW people means they are able to illustrate clearly to the entire world that religion is not the problem with how Christianity, Islam and even native worship sit side by side happily in many Yoruba families including mine. The foolish poster below should know that we are not the one who are asleep as he writes. We only deserve commendation for rising above prejudice and intolerance as he is clearly unable to do. Rather it is him who is blinded by ugly intolerance that will eat him up and destroy impressionable elements around him, perhaps fro generations, he passes on his toxic message to. We will keep doing our thing to insist our children be tolerant by looking at the person and not the religion.

Asorocker wrote:
The yoruba Christians in the South west Nigeria are still in their deep sleep , people should not disturb their sleep , very soon they will wake up when their day breaks by then it will be too late to revers what their ignorance has cost them and the rest of Nigerians will echo to them Good Morning

Meanwhile Good morning Niger Deltans and Middle belterns and Good afternoon Igbos of the South East. it is Mid day in igbo land you people who are in mid day should shine your eye well well for 2015

11 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by dayokanu(m): 4:07pm On May 12, 2013
asorocker:

Are you comparing Lagos with Kano,

If there were all Oil company headquarters were moved to Abuja/Niger Delta, If there were all Banking headquarters were moved to Abuja, If there were all Telecommunication company headquarters were moved to Abuja
If there were Maritime Deep sea Ports in the Costal Areas of Akwa Ibom, Cross river, Rivers, Bayelsa , Delta state and the Government Maritime headquarters (NPA,Shppers Council , NIMASA) were moved to Abuja/Niger Delta you can take it on me that you would not have as much igbos in Lagos than you presently have in Maiduguri.

is there any law that states this company MUST have their headquarter in Lagos?

Unity Bank a Northern Bank has its headquarter in Abuja, Tell Igbo Bank owners to move their headquarters to Nnewi and Owerri

There is no law that states you must have the headquarter in Lagos. Lagos has ceased being capital for over 20yrs So move your companies to Okija

Some people Nurtured a one city Country where everything was located in a congested , densely populated , water logged , over filled , dirty and environmentally degraded area , despite the professional advice to relocate to more accessible cities or even decentralize which they have refused , yet the go everywhere complaining about igbos being in lagos .

Who nurtured a one city country? Dont blame anyone for the barreness of your land. It was God that gave you red clay soil so dont blame anyone for your misfortune

Why not rather push your leaders to go for con federalism or regionalism or even ask the Government to take away the national companies in Lagos rather than keep deluding your self believing that igbos are rushing to the south west.

Our SW leaders have always wanted regionalism, Guess who abolished it and imposed a unitary system? One of you named AGUIYI IRONSI

The same irrdenta who have refused to even talk of joining their brothers in benin republic to form a country preferring to remain with people they have no cultural or language affinity , who rather than opt out of the country that has killed most of their leaders would prefer to loose 500,000 of their men fighting for the country they called a geographic expression are now beginning to realize igbos are coming to Lagos
What an irony and paradox !!!

Senseless Gibberish at best

12 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 12, 2013
Whenever Tinubu dies!
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by leonshom(m): 4:18pm On May 12, 2013
I don't think becoming a Governor in Lagos state is being dictated by one's Religious affiliation,not only in Lagos but most Yoruba societies ! Both Muslims nd Christians are qualified to hold d post, so far u av d qualities it takes, any1 culd contest.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by domiron: 4:20pm On May 12, 2013
Baldarash!!!!
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Dam02: 4:29pm On May 12, 2013
krendo: The Commercial capital of democratic south should not be the exclusive property of Muslim Politicians!

Fashola we are watching

If you are backing a Muslim we will question whether no christain is qualified

Bola Tinubu - Muslim
Fashola - Muslim
Hamzat - Muslim

You are on your own..............

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by nduchucks: 4:31pm On May 12, 2013
double post
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Gbawe: 4:33pm On May 12, 2013
leonshom: I don't think becoming a Governor in Lagos state is being dictated by one's Religious affiliation,not only in Lagos but most Yoruba societies ! Both Muslims nd Christians are qualified to hold d post, so far u av d qualities it takes, any1 culd contest.

Correct and that is the attitude of the relevant stakeholders themselves i.e the people of the SW. Anyone , like the OP and others, wanting to insist we should be religiously divided, because of their own inherent prejudice and intolerance, is wasting his own time.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by nduchucks: 4:35pm On May 12, 2013
bayooooooo: Competence is the key word, not religion. Who cares what you worship?

Gbawe: Religion does not feed or employ anyone and I don't know why OP chose to whip up sentiments about the religious background of Fashola's choice when what was enunciated in the article he supplied makes issues crystal clear.

To disagree with the above posts would be to deny the important truth about the matter. The more important truth however, is that many western nations have used the quotes above as justification for racial and gender discrimination. These countries ended up passing laws against such discrimination.

Those who are asking the question posed by the OP should not be summarily dismissed. The real question is; is there a systematic discrimination based on religion incorporated into the political system of Lagos state? It most certainly appears so, on its face, as far as governoship is concerned.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 12, 2013
One thing about south West is that they don't really take religion or ethnic matters seriously. That's why the region has high immigrants from other regions (who are not been discriminated against) and you don't hear any murmur from them when any tribe who is not from their region is president etc...

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Pastor Holds "Operation Vomit My Dollars" Church Program Title Goes Viral(Photo) / Scenes From M.F.M Wonderful Crossover Night At Prayercity. / Restoration Of Manhood By Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.