Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,380 members, 7,800,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) (2646 Views)

Woman Delivered From The 'spirit Of Madness' At Lagos Church (Photos) / Fr. Mbaka Moving To His New Parish Yesterday - Photos / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 12:11pm On May 13, 2013
I am a staunch believer in the gospel of infinite grace, which acknowledges that receiving and retaining your salvation, justification and the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with law or your obedience to it. Gal 3v2 '...receive ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?' Gal 2v17 '...for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.' The law does not save you nor justify you, neither does your obedience to it help you retain the salvation and justification. Righteousness is authored and finished by faith in Christ ALONE, at no point will works have a saying in helping us receive it or keep us from losing it. Rom 1v17 '...For therein is the righteousness of God revealed FROM FAITH TO FAITH'. Righteousness is received and retained BY FAITH!!

NOW, after Christ through his grace has given us salvation and righteousness and we have received it by faith, he wants us to move unto perfection! Let me say this, the dispensation of grace is not the age of God's indifference to what he hated under the law. Murder still grieves God, greed still displeases him, inhumanity and oppression still breaks his heart and he wants them to stop in the lives of those who are born of Him. For two reasons: For our profit in this age and reward in the age to come; and also for the establishment of His kingdom on earth through his church. An unreformed church can't establish God's kingdom even if they're righteous by the gift of grace. And this reformation only happens when we move unto perfection.

Need you to get this picture before I move. At righteousness you have the life of Christ, at perfection you have His lifestyle; at righteousness you receive Christ's image, at perfection you grow unto His stature; at righteousness you're justified, at perfection you're glorified; at righteousness your spirit is regenerated, at perfection your soul is reformed. Regeneration is instant and immediate by faith but reformation is a process, that is why your addictions didn't miraculously vanish after you said the sinner's prayer even though you were saved and made righteous that instant.

How then do we move unto perfection By fellowship and communion with the Spirit of God. Unlike righteousness by faith which was accomplished by believing with the heart and confessing with the mouth, perfection by fellowship will involve conscious effort on your part. You will need to invest time, focus and energy, this is not to struggle with your flaws or fight your imperfections the way it was done under the law, but rather to fellowship or 'hang out' with the Spirit, and He will now work on your imperfections and sins and shed the love of God abraod in your heart, then live out the life of Christ through you without your own attempt at struggling to do it. Perfection is what takes place when we begin to fellowship with the Spirit and increase in the knowledge and understanding of Christ, causing the Holy Spirit to work on our flaws and imperfections and live out the lifestyle of Christ through us.

So how then do we fellowship with the Spirit of God, so that he can now work-out the lifestyle of Christ through us? The three most powerful tools of fellowship with the Spirit of God that hastens his work of manifesting the power of Christ's life and the glory of the knowledge and understanding of Christ through us is: The word, prayer, and fasting. This is not the religious 'need-oriented' type done to receive something from God or to pat the back of our religious ego. But the type done just to 'hang out' with God the way Enoch did.

Any christian who will practise a lifestyle of continual fellowship with the Spirit through the Word, prayer, and fasting will soon find himself easily overcoming his temper, greed, bitterness, lust and addictions; without him consciously fighting those habits or struggling to deal with them. Then as the sinful habits are worked on by the Spirit and you continue the fellowship with Him, you will now move into increased understanding of the word of God and the manifestation of the power of God and before you know it you're like Christ in person and in power. And that will remain the case if you don't stop the fellowship trend.

This is what I mean by fellowship with the Spirit, which helps you move unto perfection and Christ likeness without the legalistic struggle with our flaws which is the approach of the law.

You are blessed

Ayoku.

6 Likes

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 12:42pm On May 13, 2013
^Thank you Ayokun for this thread

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2013
DrummaBoy: ^Thank you Ayokun for this thread

Thanks, and i hope it will put alot of debates and arguments to rest.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 1:10pm On May 13, 2013
@Ayoku777,
Beautifully worded. Thanks and weldone. I love the choice of words especially where you said it is continuous...that is what we keep saying.

As you also posited, God is not indifferent to His laws, infact in my study right now I realised one thing:
The Real 10 commandments of God were given verbally HIMSELF WITH HIS OWN WORDS and directly (no Mediator) to the people of Israel in Exodus 19-20 further reminded in Deut 4-5; Deut. 18:15-19; John 12:47-49. Do read it and confirm back to me.
The other laws given through and by Moses where somewhat drawn from this though.

He came down directly upon Sinai and met with the Israelites face to face, gave this commandments but they could not bear it but begged Moses to tell God to speak to them through Moses so they do not die. Ex.20:19-20; Deut 4:36. What does this prove. The 10 commandments IS NOT THE LAW OF MOSES OR GIVEN THROUGH MOSES.....IT IS THE LAW OF GOD as it was given BY GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF IN HIS OWN WORDS AND WITH HIS OWN VOICE THAT ALL THE PEOPLE HEARD!

We thank God for His Son Jesus and His grace upon us making us enjoy the fulness of life in Him. It is really great to 'hang out' with the Holy Spirit as you said. wink

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2013
While not adding to what Ayoku has written, I wish to state that a lot is wrong with the entry point for many so called believers. I mean many Christians have never been born again bc of the phenomenum some call EASY BELIEVISM.

It is that act that is common with a lot of 'Christians' bc they have been told to simply 'give their life to Christ'. I ask such folks: has Christ given his own life to you? The process of coming to Faith in Jesus is something that must be wholly revisited if not we would continue to have people come into the Christian faith, without the true seed of God in them. Such individuals enact a religion that is wholly based on works and devoid of the life of the Spirit. Some of them you find here arguing blindly for adherence to the laws of Moses, only that they do not have understanding nor do they have capacity to receive the Law of the Spirit of Life.
(To be continued)
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 1:53pm On May 13, 2013
That is why despite what the OP wrote, an alwaystrue will still come here and say the ten commandments were the laws of God not the Laws of Moses - as it should rightly be called. If it is the Law of God, why did John 1 say 'the law was given through Moses; but grace and truth came with Jesus Christ.

As it has been said here for hundreds of times, the OT did not designate the laws as Moral, ceremonial, law of God, etc. Everything in the OT is the law of Moses and has been abolished in Jesus Cross.

The only law left for the believer is the Law of Spirit of Life: the Law of Christ that calls us to love. It is of the Spirit bc with his help we would reach perfection. It is of life bc there is no condemnation for anyone under it. Its not a law of sin and death; it of LIFE, so there is no sin in it that leads to death. It is of love, bearing the Spirit's Fruit; under which there is no law.

If U cannot comprehend this, there nothing to say afterwards.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 2:08pm On May 13, 2013
Returning to the subject of Easy Believism

1. Salvation is the sovereign work of God on a man's heart. God is able to save, to keep safe and to save to the uttermost
2. Salvation is not passive assent to some repeated words: it is understanding the grace of God, His love and Power. It is repentance and submission to Jesus Lordship.
3. When a man is saved, he is a new creation. You don't tell him this is sin: He is convicted of sin, so he knows it and has grace to keep away from sin.
4. The laws of God are inscribed on his heart. He need not anyone tell him what to do, He knows what to do.
5. Salvation is by grace through faith; it is not adherence to some do's and don'ts. It is not tithing, circumcision, going to church, fasting, prayer or reading the word.
6. Salvation is to be led of God Spirit to please him which may involve fasting, prayer and the word, as Ayoku has stated in the OP.
7. Salvation is not of works but of faith (only, according to Martin Luther).

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 2:08pm On May 13, 2013
DrummaBoy: That is why despite what the OP wrote, an alwaystrue will still come here and say the ten commandments were the laws of God not the Laws of Moses - as it should rightly be called. If it is the Law of God, why did John 1 say 'the law was given through Moses; but grace and truth came with Jesus Christ.

As it has been said here for hundreds of times, the OT did not designate the laws as Moral, ceremonial, law of God, etc. Everything in the OT is the law of Moses and has been abolished in Jesus Cross.

The only law left for the believer is the Law of Spirit of Life: the Law of Christ that calls us to love. It is of the Spirit bc with his help we would reach perfection. It is of life bc there is no condemnation for anyone under it. Its not a law of sin and death; it of LIFE, so there is no sin in it that leads to death. It is of love, bearing the Spirit's Fruit; under which there is no law.

If U cannot comprehend this, there nothing to say afterwards.

grin Prove that That the Law given DIRECTLY BY GOD HIMSELF THROUGH HIS voICE TO ALL THE PEOPLE WITHOUT MOSES SPEAKING is now the Law of Moses or keep quiet pls.

Definitely it indeed proves the word of Paul:

Romans 7:25
Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[a] a slave to the law of sin.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 3:26pm On May 13, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Ayoku777,
Beautifully worded. Thanks and weldone. I love the choice of words especially where you said it is continuous...that is what we keep saying.

As you also posited, God is not indifferent to His laws, infact in my study right now I realised one thing:
The Real 10 commandments of God were given verbally HIMSELF WITH HIS OWN WORDS and directly (no Mediator) to the people of Israel in Exodus 19-20 further reminded in Deut 4-5; Deut. 18:15-19; John 12:47-49. Do read it and confirm back to me.
The other laws given through and by Moses where somewhat drawn from this though.

He came down directly upon Sinai and met with the Israelites face to face, gave this commandments but they could not bear it but begged Moses to tell God to speak to them through Moses so they do not die. Ex.20:19-20; Deut 4:36. What does this prove. The 10 commandments IS NOT THE LAW OF MOSES OR GIVEN THROUGH MOSES.....IT IS THE LAW OF GOD as it was given BY GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF IN HIS OWN WORDS AND WITH HIS OWN VOICE THAT ALL THE PEOPLE HEARD!

We thank God for His Son Jesus and His grace upon us making us enjoy the fulness of life in Him. It is really great to 'hang out' with the Holy Spirit as you said. wink

Alwaystrue

I get your view, but nothing under the law is still relevant for justification or righteousness. When I say God hates murder, it has nothing to do with his law, he hated it before he gave us law. It is His character and his person. That was why he rebuked Cain for killing Abel long before the law 'Thou shall not murder' was given.

Now that is what Christ gives us now, not a new set of laws or even grace to keep the old ones (moral or ceremonial) but His very life and character. He justifies us by faith and gives us His life, which fellowship with the Holy Spirit now helps us turn into our lifestyle in person and power.

It has nothing to do with the law or any code of regulations under the law. Leme ask, how did Joseph know that commiting adultery with potipher's wife will be grievious in the sight of God about 500yrs before the law 'thou shall not commit adultery' was given? It was just by the Spirit of God that indwelt him.

I was hoping this law and Spirit debate won't overlap into this new post. But its like once you're a law advocate, the law will always be the only way you rationalize everything. Even though the Holy Spirit does not need the law (moral or ceremonial) to help you attain perfection and Christ-likeness.

When the cloud descended on the mount of transfiguration, Moses (Law) and Elijah (prophets) vanished leaving only Jesus. And the father now said to peter 'hear ye him'. Our only obligation now is to faith in Christ and fellowship to his spirit.

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 3:34pm On May 13, 2013
DrummaBoy: Returning to the subject of Easy Believism

1. Salvation is the sovereign work of God on a man's heart. God is able to save, to keep safe and to save to the uttermost
2. Salvation is not passive assent to some repeated words: it is understanding the grace of God, His love and Power. It is repentance and submission to Jesus Lordship.
3. When a man is saved, he is a new creation. You don't tell him this is sin: He is convicted of sin, so he knows it and has grace to keep away from sin.
4. The laws of God are inscribed on his heart. He need not anyone tell him what to do, He knows what to do.
5. Salvation is by grace through faith; it is not adherence to some do's and don'ts. It is not tithing, circumcision, going to church, fasting, prayer or reading the word.
6. Salvation is to be led of God Spirit to please him which may involve fasting, prayer and the word, as Ayoku has stated in the OP.
7. Salvation is not of works but of faith (only, according to Martin Luther).

I'm glad you understand this well. We should just remember these two: righteousness and perfection. One is received and retained by faith, the other is grown and nurtured by fellowship. But your not moving unto perfection doesn't make you lose your righteousnes, but you forfeit profit and reward in this age and the next
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 3:53pm On May 13, 2013
^It is understood

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 13, 2013
whether you believe it or not works can be seen by men..Abraham was justified before God by faith but justified before men by works This is where your gospel is incomplete..Paul boasted about his works of righteousness to the gentile nations.all the letters speaks of how Paul suffered, was beaten,imprisoned, persuaded his listeners,wrought signs and wonders..GONE WITHOUT FOOD FOR DAYS...don't kid yourselves that these are not works..let us see Paul talking about his works here "It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that i would not be building on someone else's foundation.rom 15:20(He who desires to preach desires a "GOOD WORK" .Paul talking to Timothy).Romans 16:17-19

New International Version (NIV)

17 I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people. 19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I rejoice because of you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil

even to write a post such as yours in other to teach others is a work..so i wonder where your gospel of grace minus works came from..such smooth talk and flattery can deceive naive people but not me.

Even Jesus the master says my father worketh hitherto.. and i work.. so Faith without works is a dead faith.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 6:30pm On May 13, 2013
@Ayoku,
I am glad you get my point. Oh dear, I am not lawless ok, I obey God's laws after the inward man Romans 7:25, my faith in Jesus established the law. Romans 3:31.

Sorry did I say that or Paul did? That is why I showed you scriptures so you won't go saying 'I said'. Paul was not lawless, Jesus was not lawless and if they were not lawless then they obeyed God unwritten or written.

As long as we live with the principalities and powers, we will need to keep warring against the flesh and sin and that is why anyone claiming the law is abolished doesn't undersand fully what he is up against. Read Jude 1.

We will fully live eternal life in its totality and entirety when we finally reign with Jesus where he has prepared for us as all evil is finally destroyed and there is nothing like sin or falling into sin or turning back to the world.

I get your point very well and I am glad you get mine. Thanks for the duscussion as I got more spiritual inspirations from it.

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 9:31am On May 14, 2013
ayoku777:
When the cloud descended on the mount of transfiguration, Moses (Law) and Elijah (prophets) vanished leaving only Jesus. And the father now said to peter 'hear ye him'. Our only obligation now is to faith in Christ and fellowship to his spirit.
@Ayoku,
I tell you, flesh and blood did not reveal this to you but from heaven. I read re-read, i went to study this again and realised that indeed your position is very true. What i mean is that I now fully understand what the transfiguration meant by your few words up there. Thank you so much.

However, some here claim that Jesus was under the law, (forgetting born under the law has much more meaning than they know) saying that Jesus said all He said because He was under the law (forgetting Gal 4:4 continued that He came to REDEEM those under the law as well) and the reason why they said this is because Jesus said we should tithe while being merciful, faithful and non-partial (justice). Is this not again what we have all been saying that Jesus gave the full expression/meaning and intent of the law in Spirit and in Truth. As Jesus said HE IS (not is going to be) the way, the truth and the life (he said ALL His word are life) whie He was physically on earth and as God said we should hear him in Matthew 17?

Deuteronomy 18:15-19
15 Moses continued, “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you yourselves requested of the Lord your God when you were assembled at Mount Sinai.[a] You said, ‘Don’t let us hear the voice of the Lord our God anymore or see this blazing fire, for we will die.’
17 “Then the Lord said to me, ‘What they have said is right. 18 I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. [b]I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything I command him. 19 I will personally deal with anyone who will not listen to the messages the prophet proclaims on my behalf.

John 12:49-50
49 I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it.
50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say."

Since the people refused to listen anymore when God gave them the 10 commandments INITIALLY Himself and in His own voice NOT through Moses, He sent His son (GOD) to again explain to the people what His commandments entailed in Spirit (The people only had the veiled understanding due to unbelief). However when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit (the fruits as evidence), He helps us to live in the newness/fredom God had always intended, that Jesus confirmed while on earth, we walk without focusing on the basics but knowing the heart of God.

@Ayoku, I am grateful for that word you gave simply there. It makes SENSE!!!! and I think we are fully aligned just that we communicate it differently.

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by manmacho: 9:58am On May 14, 2013
ayoku777: I am a staunch believer in the gospel of infinite grace, which acknowledges that receiving and retaining your salvation, justification and the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with law or your obedience to it. Gal 3v2 '...receive ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?' Gal 2v17 '...for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.' The law does not save you nor justify you, neither does your obedience to it help you retain the salvation and justification. Righteousness is authored and finished by faith in Christ ALONE, at no point will works have a saying in helping us receive it or keep us from losing it. Rom 1v17 '...For therein is the righteousness of God revealed FROM FAITH TO FAITH'. Righteousness is received and retained BY FAITH!!

NOW, after Christ through his grace has given us salvation and righteousness and we have received it by faith, he wants us to move unto perfection! Let me say this, the dispensation of grace is not the age of God's indifference to what he hated under the law. Murder still grieves God, greed still displeases him, inhumanity and oppression still breaks his heart and he wants them to stop in the lives of those who are born of Him. For two reasons: For our profit in this age and reward in the age to come; and also for the establishment of His kingdom on earth through his church. An unreformed church can't establish God's kingdom even if they're righteous by the gift of grace. And this reformation only happens when we move unto perfection.

Need you to get this picture before I move. At righteousness you have the life of Christ, at perfection you have His lifestyle; at righteousness you receive Christ's image, at perfection you grow unto His stature; at righteousness you're justified, at perfection you're glorified; at righteousness your spirit is regenerated, at perfection your soul is reformed. Regeneration is instant and immediate by faith but reformation is a process, that is why your addictions didn't miraculously vanish after you said the sinner's prayer even though you were saved and made righteous that instant.

How then do we move unto perfection By fellowship and communion with the Spirit of God. Unlike righteousness by faith which was accomplished by believing with the heart and confessing with the mouth, perfection by fellowship will involve conscious effort on your part. You will need to invest time, focus and energy, this is not to struggle with your flaws or fight your imperfections the way it was done under the law, but rather to fellowship or 'hang out' with the Spirit, and He will now work on your imperfections and sins and shed the love of God abraod in your heart, then live out the life of Christ through you without your own attempt at struggling to do it. Perfection is what takes place when we begin to fellowship with the Spirit and increase in the knowledge and understanding of Christ, causing the Holy Spirit to work on our flaws and imperfections and live out the lifestyle of Christ through us.

So how then do we fellowship with the Spirit of God, so that he can now work-out the lifestyle of Christ through us? The three most powerful tools of fellowship with the Spirit of God that hastens his work of manifesting the power of Christ's life and the glory of the knowledge and understanding of Christ through us is: The word, prayer, and fasting. This is not the religious 'need-oriented' type done to receive something from God or to pat the back of our religious ego. But the type done just to 'hang out' with God the way Enoch did.

Any christian who will practise a lifestyle of continual fellowship with the Spirit through the Word, prayer, and fasting will soon find himself easily overcoming his temper, greed, bitterness, lust and addictions; without him consciously fighting those habits or struggling to deal with them. Then as the sinful habits are worked on by the Spirit and you continue the fellowship with Him, you will now move into increased understanding of the word of God and the manifestation of the power of God and before you know it you're like Christ in person and in power. And that will remain the case if you don't stop the fellowship trend.

This is what I mean by fellowship with the Spirit, which helps you move unto perfection and Christ likeness without the legalistic struggle with our flaws which is the approach of the law.

You are blessed

Ayoku.

i believe what you did not add is obedience to the spirit, that is how we keep in step with him and not grief him. the part of doing/obedience is what makes the holy sprirt to thrive in our live that is the point of yielding and allowing him to rule in our life.

3 Likes

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 11:55am On May 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:
@Ayoku,
I tell you, flesh and blood did not reveal this to you but from heaven. I read re-read, i went to study this again and realised that indeed your position is very true. What i mean is that I now fully understand what the transfiguration meant by your few words up there. Thank you so much.

@Ayoku, I am grateful for that word you gave simply there. It makes SENSE!!!! and I think we are fully aligned just that we communicate it differently.

Coming from you this is a refreshing compliment. I've always admitted we are saying the same thing but semantics and expression gets us locking horns.

Christ came to do what the law could not fully do - reveal the glory of the father and change us into its image. There is a spiritual law, we are changed into what we behold. After man sinned and fell short of the glory of God, He longed to reveal his glory to us again so that we can behold it and be changed again into its image. He sent us 'the conscience' for 2,500years, he then sent us 'the law' for 1,500years and then 'the law and the prophets' for 500years. But the glory and character of God revealed under this systems and dispensation were a shadow compared to his true glory. Then finally he sent His WORD, Jesus Christ, who is the brightness of His glory and express(exact) image of His person.

So now when we believe Christ we are regenerated into his image and as we continue to behold him in fellowship, we move unto perfection and are transformed from glory to glory in his stature. Jesus is the WORD OF GOD, the revelation of his glory, the communication of his person, the declaration of his name. JESUS IS ALL WE NEED to believe and behold now to become and be changed. I almost bursted into the tears as the Lord taught me this yesterday. JESUS IS EVERYTHING, not Jesus and moses or the law or works.

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 12:02pm On May 14, 2013
manmacho:

i believe what you did not add is obedience to the spirit, that is how we keep in step with him and not grief him. the part of doing/obedience is what makes the holy sprirt to thrive in our live that is the point of yielding and allowing him to rule in our life.

Thanks for that observation, you're right in a way. Fellowshipping with the Spirit in Word, prayer and fasting; and then prompt obedience to what he leads us to do. That's the key to demonstrating the person and the power of His character. You said it well bro, thanks.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 2:05pm On May 14, 2013
ayoku777:
I almost bursted into the tears as the Lord taught me this yesterday. JESUS IS EVERYTHING, not Jesus and moses or the law or works.

God bless you

Amen. I know that feeling. In the whole bible is locked the wisdom of all time which the Holy Spirit unlocks and reveals to us as He leads us in all truth.
In it we see and understand the principles of life from daily living to family to business to relationships and conflict resolution to deeper revelations of the heavenlies.
I have reached a point now that things that come to my mind or thoughts through the Holy Spirit are placed beside the Word that confirms it or corrects it. That is the thing about fellowship with the Spirit. He uses all the scripture to instruct us in doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: So that we may be perfect, thoroughly equiped for every good work.

I pray that we will use the equipping we have received for every good work well. That lies our choice and that is where @manmachos post rings true.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by DrummaBoy(m): 4:19pm On May 14, 2013
@Ayoku,

Paul instructs that we should rightly divide the word of truth.

The doctrines that Paul taught were so sublime that even Peter said that they were difficult to understand; nevertheless Paul place the apostolic authority on his teachings and that of the other apostles as the all time doctrinal position of the church and no one should add or subtract from them.

When Jesus came, his ministry was wholly to the lost sheep of God's kingdom - the Jews. He made no pretense about this. He rarely ministered to the gentiles but the fact that his ministry to the gentiles are recorded in scripture shows to us that God would be calling the gentiles to His kingdom in the days to come. But note JESUS WAS SENT WHOLELY TO THE JEWS.

Also, Jesus messages must be classified into messages to three groups of people which could found in three distinct DISPENSATIONS. The first will be to the Jews who were under the law, just as He, Jesus, was under the law at his first advent. The second one is his message to the Church, you find these mostly in John 14-17. The last is eschatological, speaking of the millennium to come and some of these messages will be found in Matthew 5-7, sermon on the mount and Matthew 24.

Recognizing this is the only way to RIGHTLY DIVIDE the word of truth: knowing whom to apportion which aspect of scripture to. Thus when we see his admonition in Matthew 23:23 we see clearly a word to the Pharisee, the Jews of Jesus' time. Jesus could not condemn the tithe in that scripture because he would have broken the law he was called to fulfill. But from that statement we see, in addition to the fact that the statement was directed to Jews, that the tithe he referred to was: 1. Agricultural products. 2. Was not as important as Mercy, Judgment and Faith. The question here to the tithe advocators is this 1. The tithe you pay are they on agricultural, including husbandry, products? 2. The churches that advocate the tithe: which one is more important to them - money, ie tithe, or mercy - that is looking after the poor? That is just along the line, this discuss is not on tithe.

HOWEVER, Paul's teachings starting from the Acts of the Apostle, through Romans and possibly Hebrews, were messages to the church. R B Thieme likes to call it the doctrine for the church age. That message did not even start with Paul! Rather we could say it started with Peter's vision in Acts 10 were God told him not to call what God has sanctified defiled. From then on the mystery of the gospel was gradually revealed: stating that the gospel of Jesus was not a message for the Jews alone but the gentiles was inclusive. Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, had a better understanding into this gospel, which he would later call the gospel of grace.

That gospel clearly shows that the law, given through Moses, has been abolished in the cross of Jesus. It was so distinct a message that Paul's displeasure was clearly shown in the book of Galatians at people who were trying to distort it by either forcing the gentiles to keep Moses' laws, or mix the law with grace (something Peter was guilty of and received a resounding rebuke from Paul) or did not have understanding of either and could be easily deceived by the Judaizers of his time. His position on the law was clear: It is either you keep the whole law (Moses) or non at all (Christ); you could not do it in part (And anyone who commands anybody to PAY tithe is obeying Moses' law); He even went as far as saying anyone who does keep a part of the law has broken the whole law and has fallen from grace. I do not know how the message will sound for those paying tithe: that the very act has displaced you from the grace of God.

So, I envy the amicable position that Alwaystrue and Ayoku have taken. It is simply agreeing to disagree for the sake of peace. But may we not manufacture a peace that Jesus has not made. Acts 15 records that Paul and Barnabas had no small dispute with the Judaizers of those days; it is not out of place for the dispute to continue in our time for God's people to be free.

The law is abolished in Jesus cross; we are free to be led of His Spirit to obey the law of Spirit of Life etched on the tablets of our hearts; this is what will lead to gospel perfection; but even within that perfection we must still rest our faith on the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ, who died that we might live. I refuse to make the grace given to us through the cross of Jesus in vain.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 14, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Paul instructs that we should rightly divide the word of truth.

The doctrines that Paul taught were so sublime that even Peter said that they were difficult to understand; nevertheless Paul place the apostolic authority on his teachings and that of the other apostles as the all time doctrinal position of the church and no one should add or subtract from them.
There is a flaw here, Peter wrote that there would be those who would twist Paul's words to mean something incorrect. What kind of people would do that? Peter said these are lawless men (2 Peter 3:17). By "lawless," Peter did not mean people who were without Roman law. Lawless, in this religious context (understanding Paul's writings and other Scriptures correctly), refers to being without God's Law - the Torah. Peter is saying that those who twist Paul's writings are those who don't have (know/follow) Torah. They will approach these letters, in (often willful) ignorance, and incorrectly interpret them.

When Jesus came, his ministry was wholly to the lost sheep of God's kingdom - the Jews. He made no pretense about this. He rarely ministered to the gentiles but the fact that his ministry to the gentiles are recorded in scripture shows to us that God would be calling the gentiles to His kingdom in the days to come. But note JESUS WAS SENT WHOLELY TO THE JEWS.
Another flaw ,Jesus has all authority in heaven and earth and we are to hear him (Matt. 28: 18; 17: 5) not only JEWS but the whole world cos He created them.
Also, Jesus messages must be classified into messages to three groups of people are to three distinct DISPENSATIONS. The first will be to the Jews who were under the law, just as He, Jesus, was under the law at his first advent. The second one is his message to the Church, you find these mostly in John 14-17. The last is eschatological, speaking of the millennium to come and some of these messages will be found in Matthew 5-7, sermon on the mount and Matthew 24.
i actually don't know where you got these revelations from..The message of the gospel is ONE and this is JESUS IS THE SAVIOUR OF THE WHOLE WORLD.
Recognizing this is the only way to RIGHTLY DIVIDE the word of truth: knowing whom to apportion which aspect of scripture to. Thus when we see his admonition in Matthew 23:23 we see clearly a word to the Pharisee, the Jews of Jesus' time. Jesus could not condemn the tithe in that scripture because he would have broken the law, he called to fulfill. But from that statement we see, in addition to the fact that the statement was directed to Jews, that the tithe he referred to was 1. Agricultural products. 2. Was not as important as Mercy, Judgment and Faith. The question here to the tithe advocators is this 1. The tithe you pay are they on agricultural, including husbandry, products? 2. The churches that advocate the tithe: which one is more important to them - money, ie tithe, or mercy - that is looking after the poor? That is just along the line, this discuss is not on tithe.
Jesus himself claimed to have been obedient to the law under which he lived, the Law of Moses (Jn. 8: 29, 55). In fact, the Jews were unable to convict Jesus of any transgression of the law (Jn. 8: 46). It is affirmed in the New Testament that Jesus "did no sin" and "was without sin" (I Pet. 2: 22; Heb. 4: 15). Jesus is the only "man" who ever sinlessly kept the law

As seen, Jesus recognized the authority of the law in his life and taught others to keep the law (Lk. 10: 25-28). Jesus instructed his disciples to obey the law (Matt. 23: 2, 3). Christ defended the law and severely condemned those who perverted the Hebrew scripture (Mk. 7: 7-13; Matt. 23: 16-22)

Jesus is the substance of the shadows, the antitype of the types, and the very epitome of all the moral enunciations of the law. Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill" (Matt. 5: 17). Notice the next verse, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (vs. 18). Jesus fulfilled the law and inaugurated his system or testament (Lk. 24: 44, 47). Christ's system is not without law, but the onerous system of Moses was nailed to Jesus' cross (Gal. 6: 2, Col. 2: 14, see addendum). Jesus' apostles are "able ministers of the new testament" (2 Cor. 3: 6).
HOWEVER, Paul teachings starting from the Acts of the Apostle, through Romans and possibly Hebrews, were messages to the church. R B Thieme likes to call it the doctrine for the church age. That message did not even start with Paul! Rather we could say it started with Peter's vision in Acts 10 were God told him not to call what God has sanctified defiled. From then on the mystery of the gospel was gradually revealed: stating that the gospel of Jesus was not a message for the Jews alone but the gentiles was inclusive. Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, had a better understanding into this gospel, which he would later call the gospel of grace.
The simple question is "Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God?"

That gospel clearly shows that the law, given through Moses, has been abolished in the cross of Jesus. It was so distinct a message that Paul's displeasure was clearly shown in the book of Galatians at people who were trying to either force the gentiles to keep Moses' laws, or mix the law with grace (something Peter was guilty of and received a resounding rebuke from Paul) or did not have understanding of either and could be easily deceived by the Judaizers of his time. His position on the law was clear: It is either you keep the whole law (Moses) or non at all (Christ); you could not do it in part (And anyone who commands anybody to PAY tithe is obeying Moses' law); He even went as far as saying anyone who does keep a part of the law has broken the whole law and has fallen from grace. I do not know how the message will sound for those paying tithe: that the very act has displaced you from the grace of God.
You are yet to show us from scriptures where Paul said the Law was abolished.
So, I envy the amicable position that Alwaystrue and Ayoku have taken. It is simply agreeing to disagree for the sake of peace. But may we not manufacture a peace that Jesus has not made. The law is abolished in Jesus cross; we are free to be led of His Spirit to obey the law of Spirit of Life etched on the tablets of our hearts; this is what will lead to gospel perfection; but even within that perfection we must still rest our faith on the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ, who died that we might live. I refuse to make the grace given to us through the cross of Jesus in vain.
i tend to disagree with your views here.We are to search and study, rightly dividing the Word (according to Torah) with God's Spirit. We are not to casually read and wait for some "personal enlightenment." This is how false teachings come about, how cults are formed and how people fall into grave sin without realizing it.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 5:25pm On May 14, 2013
DrummaBoy:
The law is abolished in Jesus cross; we are free to be led of His Spirit to obey the law of Spirit of Life etched on the tablets of our hearts; this is what will lead to gospel perfection; but even within that perfection we must still rest our faith on the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ, who died that we might live. I refuse to make the grace given to us through the cross of Jesus in vain.
The law is fulfilled in Christ Jesus so for all those who believe can also have that righteousness of the law fulfilled in them.
Do not, because of your refusal to tithe (because you are looking at the law with veiled eyes of do nots and dos), allow yourself to add or remove from what Jesus never said.

The law of Christ etched in your heart will make you do his will out of love something the law can never do. In the law adultery means sleeping physically with a woman, someone with the spirit of God sees adultery as Indecency.gr.aphy, sexual thoughts to other people beside his wife.
Have you noticed God said adultery should not be committed because He expects marital relations between married couples only. Fornication came up because people could not wait till marriage. The flesh always finds a way to look at the letter of the law and do a walkaround it.

I pasted this on another thread. If indeed you believe the essence of love you will be above tithing because your love for God and those labouring heavily in the ministry will determine your actions.

Deuteronomy 18:17-19
17 “Then the Lord said to me, ‘What they have said is right. 18 I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything I command him. 19 I will personally deal with anyone who will not listen to the messages the prophet proclaims on my behalf.

John 12:49-50
49 I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it.
50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say."

John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Matthew 23:23
"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law--justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

I Corinthians 9:11,13-14
11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?
13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 IN THE SAME WAY, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel

That is why it is funny when people argue tithe was agric produce yet they do not find it strange to pray the prayer 'GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD' or hear 'daily bread' mentioned. Will the bread drop from heaven?
Tithe is provision for the ministry and that is the spirit behind the words Jesus and Paul were saying. But those whose eyes are veiled keep seeing agric produce, food, of the letter of the law which killeth.
I have studied the words of those who have issues with tithe, it hinges on the flesh (anger, outrage, envy, hate, bitterness and malice).

Those who love their neighbour indeed will help the poor, missions, pay their employees on time their wages, care for family and ever willing to help.

I am free from and dead to 'the law of tithe' as anti-tithers call it, because I am ever willing to help everyone around me because of the love of Christ the Spirit wroughts through me, an because He has blessed me so much to be a channel of help to others. Tithe is just one of the givings to my church. There are always things around us needing our support.
Thanks to God.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by shdemidemi(m): 5:56pm On May 14, 2013
Bidam: There is a flaw here, Peter wrote that there would be those who would twist Paul's words to mean something incorrect. What kind of people would do that? Peter said these are lawless men (2 Peter 3:17). By "lawless," Peter did not mean people who were without Roman law. Lawless, in this religious context (understanding Paul's writings and other Scriptures correctly), refers to being without God's Law - the Torah. Peter is saying that those who twist Paul's writings are those who don't have (know/follow) Torah. They will approach these letters, in (often willful) ignorance, and incorrectly interpret them.

You err bro. Peter himself did not understand the gospel been propagated by Paul, Peter did not understand what Christ expected of him according to Acts 1:6. The gospel of Christ to gentiles was entrusted to Paul only thus we can understand why he did not deduce it. Paul's writings had nothing to do with the Torah, if you find a connection between the tow, please air it.

Another flaw ,Jesus has all authority in heaven and earth and we are to hear him (Matt. 28: 18; 17: 5) not only JEWS but the whole world cos He created them.

Wrong again...Did God not create all the Egyptians that died in the red sea? God gave Abraham and his offspring the promise and not the whole of mankind. The gentile (with exceptions) were condemned before the resurrection of Christ.

i actually don't know where you got these revelations from..The message of the gospel is ONE and this is JESUS IS THE SAVIOUR OF THE WHOLE WORLD.

Wrong again.. I tire, where do I start from with this error

Jesus himself claimed to have been obedient to the law under which he lived, the Law of Moses (Jn. 8: 29, 55). In fact, the Jews were unable to convict Jesus of any transgression of the law (Jn. 8: 46). It is affirmed in the New Testament that Jesus "did no sin" and "was without sin" (I Pet. 2: 22; Heb. 4: 15). Jesus is the only "man" who ever sinlessly kept the law

As seen, Jesus recognized the authority of the law in his life and taught others to keep the law (Lk. 10: 25-28). Jesus instructed his disciples to obey the law (Matt. 23: 2, 3). Christ defended the law and severely condemned those who perverted the Hebrew scripture (Mk. 7: 7-13; Matt. 23: 16-22)

Jesus is the substance of the shadows, the antitype of the types, and the very epitome of all the moral enunciations of the law. Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill" (Matt. 5: 17). Notice the next verse, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (vs. 18). Jesus fulfilled the law and inaugurated his system or testament (Lk. 24: 44, 47). Christ's system is not without law, but the onerous system of Moses was nailed to Jesus' cross (Gal. 6: 2, Col. 2: 14, see addendum). Jesus' apostles are "able ministers of the new testament" (2 Cor. 3: 6).
The simple question is "Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God?"

wrong once again... Hebrews 9;16 explains why Christ had to die for the new covenant to be activated

You are yet to show us from scriptures where Paul said the Law was abolished.
i tend to disagree with your views here.We are to search and study, rightly dividing the Word (according to Torah) with God's Spirit. We are not to casually read and wait for some "personal enlightenment." This is how false teachings come about, how cults are formed and how people fall into grave sin without realizing it

you need to go understand the scriptures bro, what is this rubbish you said up there.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by ayoku777(m): 6:14pm On May 14, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Amen. I know that feeling. In the whole bible is locked the wisdom of all time which the Holy Spirit unlocks and reveals to us as He leads us in all truth.
In it we see and understand the principles of life from daily living to family to business to relationships and conflict resolution to deeper revelations of the heavenlies.
I have reached a point now that things that come to my mind or thoughts through the Holy Spirit are placed beside the Word that confirms it or corrects it. That is the thing about fellowship with the Spirit. He uses all the scripture to instruct us in doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: So that we may be perfect, thoroughly equiped for every good work.

I pray that we will use the equipping we have received for every good work well. That lies our choice and that is where @manmachos post rings true.

You're right, the Holy Spirit will always use the scriptures in revealing Christ to us and will never contradicts the word, coz he wrote the word himself. But most times in studying scripture, we often project our preferences and prejudices to our interpretation and then call it revelation of the Spirit. This often than not is the cause of doctrinal division in the church. As a matter of fact, 90% of the heresis in the church are as a result of interpreting scripture without listening to the Spirit, not as a result of listening to the Spirit without the scripture.

I believe the Holy Spirit will always use the word and never contradict it, but I also strongly hold that its not the scriptures that helps me understand the Spirit, its the Spirit that helps me understand the scriptures. He uses the scripture to confirm revelation but He is the teacher. If we make the scripture an end, let's not forget that the devil can also use the scriptures not to talk of our own fleshy minds. We should draw closer to the Spirit and we will understand the scriptures.
Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Alwaystrue(f): 9:19pm On May 14, 2013
ayoku777:

You're right, the Holy Spirit will always use the scriptures in revealing Christ to us and will never contradicts the word, coz he wrote the word himself. But most times in studying scripture, we often project our preferences and prejudices to our interpretation and then call it revelation of the Spirit. This often than not is the cause of doctrinal division in the church. As a matter of fact, 90% of the heresis in the church are as a result of interpreting scripture without listening to the Spirit, not as a result of listening to the Spirit without the scripture.

I believe the Holy Spirit will always use the word and never contradict it, but I also strongly hold that its not the scriptures that helps me understand the Spirit, its the Spirit that helps me understand the scriptures. He uses the scripture to confirm revelation but He is the teacher. If we make the scripture an end, let's not forget that the devil can also use the scriptures not to talk of our own fleshy minds. We should draw closer to the Spirit and we will understand the scriptures.
My take is that it runs both ways. The Holy spirit drops something in our heart (he can speak direct to you or use anybody) that we don't understand then we search the scripture which confirms and gives more light to it and while searching the scriptures, we understand by the Holy Spirit (as the Spirit is truth which is the word of God).

Else how do we test every spirit? I John 4:1. Through the word of God, that we either search to confirm or that which you already have in you.
It is a continuous cycle and that, personally, is my take, thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Unto Perfection (walking In The Spirit) by Kobojunkiee: 2:28am On Apr 13, 2021
ayoku777:
I am a staunch believer in the gospel of infinite grace, which acknowledges that receiving and retaining your salvation, justification and the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with law or your obedience to it. Gal 3v2 '...receive ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?' Gal 2v17 '...for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.' The law does not save you nor justify you, neither does your obedience to it help you retain the salvation and justification. Righteousness is authored and finished by faith in Christ ALONE, at no point will works have a saying in helping us receive it or keep us from losing it. Rom 1v17 '...For therein is the righteousness of God revealed FROM FAITH TO FAITH'. Righteousness is received and retained BY FAITH!!

You are blessed

Ayoku.
Paul's letter to the Galatians was meant for the Christians of a Jewish background, and not for gentiles. I am afraid that by these doctrines, many, Op included, essentially maim themselves and their chances at experiencing the Power of God as it was back when Jesus Christ was still here on earth. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Black Christians, What Racial Image Do You See When You Imagine... / New Rule For 2014 / PHOTOS: COZA Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Flaunts His Porsche Car With Church Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.