Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience (21730 Views)

The Hills Of Emure: My Nysc Camp Story / ROMANTIC NOVEL: The NYSC Experience By Henry Batubo / The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 6:37am On May 18, 2013
tonibassey: Oga Bankole, I hope you read this reply. I have carefully followed your thread and its a pity your NYSC experience in Cross River State had to be a pungent one. As an indigen of this amiable State, Let me try to correct some impressions here: Firstly, I'm going to forward the name of that school to His Excellency the Governor on Monday, I think they deserve a visit from our State Commissioner for Education. Since the inception of Senator Liyel Imoke's tenure as Governor, the Secondary School system has seen immense reformation-and o! We do not have money in CRS so we cannot fund free education. Secondary schools across the 3 Senatorial districts have been renovated and their staff and teachers duely trained, retrained and sacked where necessary. The school at Ekirom will surely witness change soon and I assure you her principal and corrupt staff will be brought to book. We've had instances where the Commissioner for education drives to schools in rural areas and is not even recognized for his person by staff and so He gets the required information and acts accordingly. Examination malpractise is seriously frowned at by the Cross River State government. This government does not believing in commissioning so many school projects, stocking them with laboratory apparatuses and leaving them to rot at the hands of incapable teachers, but seeks to groom schools properly in a quota system, which involves testing, training and retraining of secondary school teachers-and yes, secondary school teachers do write exams set by the ministry. To further clear your doubt, you could inquire about the impact of this administration on the education system. Giving you the Governor's mailbox number here would not be necessary-education is that important to him, the first time I got it was while he was addressing secondary school students at a Children's day forum a couple of years back. Your complaint will be reported to the appropriate authorities, and we don't "eat people" here in Cross River State. Hope you have a rather fulfilling visit when next you traverse the land of this beautiful place. Long Live Cross River State!

Well, you're getting this wrong. What I've narrated here is not just peculiar to that school. It is widespread in the entire local government.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 6:43am On May 18, 2013
biolabee:

I hope you are ready to fight this good fight with proof as this story may be a fictionalized account

This is no fiction. It's noting but the whole truth!
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by rman: 6:51am On May 18, 2013
This is what goes on in the entire country!!!!

A corper serving in OYO state told me how shocked she was when WAEC started.

In fact abnormality is now normal and it is only a few schools that do the proper thing ( allowing students to write the exam based on what the students know) .

When a lot of students came to complain on the JAMB thread, I could tell by the comments, those that cheated and those that studied hard to pass. More than 90% on that thread were not happy because they cheated and still failed.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 7:06am On May 18, 2013
The school resumed the following Monday after the Easter holidays. Only a few students turned up in the school that day, and I used the better part of the day cleaning my room and repairing some damaged electrical connections at the corpers' lodge. There was a staff meeting the following day where the Principal addressed both teaching and non-teaching staff on her expectations for the term. That same day, Physics theory paper was written but I didn't make myself available. I could see Mr. James from afar doing what he seemed to know how to do best in the exam hall.
English language was scheduled for the following day, and at the rate at which the malpractice was being carried out, I knew that something special would be on the card, and they didn't disappoint.
I was having a Physics class with SS1 students that morning when the Principal came into the class. She complained that the surroundings of the exam hall was dirty and asked me to supervise my students in tidying up the place. As I led the students to carry out the assignment, two SS2 students were busy copying essays on the board for their seniors. Mr. James, who appeared to have assumed the position of 'exam officer' was right there in the hall, urging the students to be mindful of the commas and fullstops.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 7:09am On May 18, 2013
More updates will be coming later in the day.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Tundeajani(m): 7:37am On May 18, 2013
Ekans: So so sad.Tomorrow,they (students) will end up becoming Phd holders with stories of their shoeless beginnings and who knows,clueless presidents as well.What a shame.
man this is real literature,don't be surprise if this guy wins a caine prize with this subtle and enchanting style of writing,the word usage is cool and surprisingly bringing great effect to the story line.creative writing is not all about 'sex'.enjoy this bro and salute this great writer who is another eghosa imasuen or chimamanda in the making.more glow to your pen bro.fantastic this is.

3 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by kenx1(m): 7:40am On May 18, 2013
I served @Obubura cross river university of technology lol kia C/R was fun kia kia kia
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Phikom(m): 7:55am On May 18, 2013
dats the state of deep academic decadence and pathetic decay in our educational system...9ja i hail thee...i cry for the future of this country....[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Nobody: 8:12am On May 18, 2013
Reminds me about when i wrote waec at a school close to isashi in lagos.They gave us faulty apparatus for d physics practicals n mislabelled samples for the chemistry practicals.They later brought photocopied answers which they distributed in d hall.i refused to cooperate n d Vice Principal(a Lord's chosen fanatic) threatened me with failure.i just had to improvise n create values for myself.i made all my papers to his amazement.

4 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by juman(m): 8:43am On May 18, 2013
A nation killing itself.

Open cheating in examination is more common in some village schools across the country.

nigeria is a fake country. Everything about nigeria is upside down.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by olu4life(m): 8:51am On May 18, 2013
@OP,kudos to you. Thought i was the only corper observing and not partaking of this nonsense. At my former ppa,it was worse. They wanted to get me involved. Didnt even show up on the day my subject was written. Thank God have left the forsaken school which should have been shut down. Despite all the discouagement i got frm most nairalanders on my issue, my voice was heard and the school has been blacklisted by NYSC. We need more of this kinda youths,not the corrupt ones that can take their stand and exercise their rights. Kappish
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 9:00am On May 18, 2013
slimyem: lol.
Her emphasizing that was to tell me to stop being hung up on religion and morals because I kept saying its stood against what I believe inundecided
So if a redeem pastor can turn the other eye,what am I then making a fuss about?

Exactly my point
If someone can say he has tried and wants to enjoy his retirement and heaven by buying PJs in poor sub saharan africa who am i not to enjoy myself too as long as i pay mu tithe n offering (indulgences)

bankoleben:

This is no fiction. It's noting but the whole truth!

Bros.. carry go jaawe.. no the man wey wan show us hin get govt connection i dey talk to
You get govt connection, the road for ur house u never fix
You get govt connection, the govt college in your area does not have teachers or equipment

Then you come to NL to misyarn that u will tell commissioner kan,... commissioner ko - confabulate ni undecided tongue tongue
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 9:03am On May 18, 2013
olu4life: @OP,kudos to you. Thought i was the only corper observing and not partaking of this nonsense. At my former ppa,it was worse. They wanted to get me involved. Didnt even show up on the day my subject was written. Thank God have left the forsaken school which should have been shut down. Despite all the discouagement i got frm most nairalanders on my issue, my voice was heard and the school has been blacklisted by NYSC. We need more of this kinda youths,not the corrupt ones that can take their stand and exercise their rights. Kappish

NYSC Blacklisting the school. how did it stop the menance
Did u not hear or understand WAEC officials are involved
Its a pyramid

Killing one fish at the bottom does nothing
Go for the shark at the top
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 9:04am On May 18, 2013
Tunde ajani: man this is real literature,don't be surprise if this guy wins a caine prize with this subtle and enchanting style of writing,the word usage is cool and surprisingly bringing great effect to the story line.creative writing is not all about 'sex'.enjoy this bro and salute this great writer who is another eghosa imasuen or chimamanda in the making.more glow to your pen bro.fantastic this is.

I agree.. i don tire for se.x lit
spicing up some reall experiences too is good
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 9:05am On May 18, 2013
rman: This is what goes on in the entire country!!!!

A corper serving in OYO state told me how shocked she was when WAEC started.

In fact abnormality is now normal and it is only a few schools that do the proper thing ( allowing students to write the exam based on what the students know) .

When a lot of students came to complain on the JAMB thread, I could tell by the comments, those that cheated and those that studied hard to pass. More than 90% on that thread were not happy because they cheated and still failed.

Exactly.. who knows the Oyo Commissioner please?
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by PalmTree(m): 9:05am On May 18, 2013
Dr. Wise:

The bolded is a complete misrepresentation of the Ugep people. I am from ugep and we are not carnivores, we have had countless corps members who have settled in ugep after their various service years. Please let's stop misinforming people.

Of course the Ugeps are carnivores, or don't they eat meat? You probably meant to say cannibals! That's the word for he who eats his kind.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by phildon: 9:05am On May 18, 2013
bankoleben: I had a feeling of relief and disappointment at the same time - relief because I've heard stories of local government areas without mobile networks and basic facilities (Ikom is not one of those), and disappointment because representatives of Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) had assured us when they visited the camp that graduates in engineering disciplines would be posted to places related to their fields.

I left my platoon stand and headed for the RCCF stand at Mami. I met a lot of people there; some with long faces, others looking excited. It was evident that a lot of people were not happy with their Place(s) of Primary Assignment (PPA).
"Where were you posted to?" Peter asked, his face brisking with smiles.
"It's a secondary school in Ikom local government".
"You're lucky because Ikom is one of the best local government areas. Here's the list for people posted to Ikom, put your name down".
Peter later addressed corpers posted to Ikom, informing us that RCCF did not have a Family House in Ikom at the time but would set up one the following month. He handed us over to Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF). Meanwhile, Ade was posted to a secondary school in Boki local government, and he looked devastated from the look on his face.

When we got to NCCF stand, there were a lot of people around with their belongings lying on the ground. It was evident that passengers outnumbered the vehicles available.
"Mr. Principle, Mr. Principle...", I heard a feminine voice call from behind. I turned around sharply, and it was a familiar face. It was Bose.
"Good afternoon", I greeted, squeezing out some smiles on my face.
"Where were you posted to?", she asked, showing little sense of courtesy.
"It's Ikom".
"That's good", she said in Yoruba, "We're going to the same local government. I'll repay you for what you did to me yesterday", she continued.
Bose and I met the previous day when I was on a queue to receive the NYSC monthly allowance. It was a long queue and she wanted to jump the queue by coming into my front which I resisted. I made her realise that I don't do it or allow it, stressing that it's a disservice not only to me, but also other patient people behind me on the queue. She seemed unimpressed by my little 'lecture' and begged someone else who allowed her to join the queue.

The travelling arrangement was hectic, but finally, at about 4:30 pm, a six-passenger car going to Ikom came around and I was able to secure a space in the front seat, and in no time, we were out of the Obubra camp.
Which engineering discipline did you read? Noisemaker! A true engineering graduate will never bore his reader with this needless and over flogged NYSC story. A true engineer will go straight to the point. Worse still, there is nothing spectacular in your message. This manner of exam malpractice is in each of the 774 LGAs of the country. Just another waste of time!

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by slimyem: 9:06am On May 18, 2013
Mollytrinox,I see you jare!

My question though is why these things never stop despite that the results of malpractice centres are usually seized or involved in mass failure because malpractice is usually found out during the marking process especially if the whole centre or a group seem to have written similar things and made similar mistakes.If not found out by markers,it would by checkers or vetters...
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by olabode89(m): 9:10am On May 18, 2013
tonibassey: Oga Bankole, I hope you read this reply. I have carefully followed your thread and its a pity your NYSC experience in Cross River State had to be a pungent one. As an indigen of this amiable State, Let me try to correct some impressions here: Firstly, I'm going to forward the name of that school to His Excellency the Governor on Monday, I think they deserve a visit from our State Commissioner for Education. Since the inception of Senator Liyel Imoke's tenure as Governor, the Secondary School system has seen immense reformation-and o! We do not have money in CRS so we cannot fund free education. Secondary schools across the 3 Senatorial districts have been renovated and their staff and teachers duely trained, retrained and sacked where necessary. The school at Ekirom will surely witness change soon and I assure you her principal and corrupt staff will be brought to book. We've had instances where the Commissioner for education drives to schools in rural areas and is not even recognized for his person by staff and so He gets the required information and acts accordingly. Examination malpractise is seriously frowned at by the Cross River State government. This government does not believing in commissioning so many school projects, stocking them with laboratory apparatuses and leaving them to rot at the hands of incapable teachers, but seeks to groom schools properly in a quota system, which involves testing, training and retraining of secondary school teachers-and yes, secondary school teachers do write exams set by the ministry. To further clear your doubt, you could inquire about the impact of this administration on the education system. Giving you the Governor's mailbox number here would not be necessary-education is that important to him, the first time I got it was while he was addressing secondary school students at a Children's day forum a couple of years back. Your complaint will be reported to the appropriate authorities, and we don't "eat people" here in Cross River State. Hope you have a rather fulfilling visit when next you traverse the land of this beautiful place. Long Live Cross River State!

See ur mouth like 'we don't have money' an oil producing state for that matter! If SW states like Ondo and Oyo states can provide free education I don't understand why Cross river state cannot do the same....smh
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by MSEdLAW(m): 9:10am On May 18, 2013
donem: Long piece of shiiiit, very few jobless peeps are gonna read all through this boring writeup.

Your type . Wole soyinka categorized as the wasted generation.. You simply can't coordinate that rabid mind of urs to read, comprehend and asservate.. Patiently!

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 9:10am On May 18, 2013
phildon: Which engineering discipline did you read? Noisemaker! A true engineering graduate will never bore his reader with this needless and over flogged NYSC story. A true engineer will go straight to the point. Worse still, there is nothing spectacular in your message. This manner of exam malpractice is in each of the 774 LGAs of the country. Just another waste of time!

but we are enjoying the tori....

things fall apart was abt village life yet its a best seller

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by slimyem: 9:13am On May 18, 2013
MSEdLAW:

Your type . Wole soyinka categorized as the wasted generation.. You simply can't coordinate that rabid mind of urs to read, comprehend and asservate.. Patiently!
why waste your time replying him?
He is probably one of those looking for a miracle centre to write his next WAEC..
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:14am On May 18, 2013
If 100 people are reading this thread, close to 95 of them cheated through their school days. That's how pervasive exam malpractice is in Nigeria. I remember writing GCE in my SS2 in Okokomaiko and Jamb in Ishashi, and I can swear before all that is holy that close to 98% of the candidates in the centres cheated in one way or the other. So systemic is this corruption that people scoff and sneer if you tell them you never cheated in exams. They like the self-consolation that reduces everyone to their level of debasement. I currently teach Maths and Further Maths as a corper in an Amuwo-Odofin public school and the students and many of their obliging teachers are filthy cheats as well. Watching them makes me despair for the future of this country.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:27am On May 18, 2013
After last term's exams in my school, we exchanged papers with another school in Festac for marking. The Maths results of my class were just a disaster and the worst in the set of other classes. I was so bitter and I reviewed their marked scripts and discovered a quarter of the class had zero in their theory section after submiting blank sheets. I was puzzled cos I expected they would usually copy from their neighbour if they didn't know what to write. I knew they must have had the most feared invigilator in the school, Mrs Fatinukun, in their exam hall who would never allow anyone turn or talk in the hall. Lo-and-behold, the students confirmed this for me and proudly and brazenly told me the other classes performed far better because they weren't allowed to cheat. You can imagine my bemusement.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by dustydee: 9:33am On May 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:
Solution #1: Make the test harder to cheat on.
* Make each test slightly unique. For example, create 100 different editions and randomly distribute them so that every school gets dozens of different version of the same test.
* Require schools to submit video of students taking the exams. Video must show the current newspaper, the chalkboard, the teacher, and every student must be visible.

Solution #2: Pay students N100,000 if they can provide proof that someone cheated.
* If 50 people are all sitting in a room trying to cheat, isn't ONE of them going to want the money more than the good grade? That should scare everyone into not cheating.

Solution #3: Forcibly close schools if malpractice is proven.
* As soon as a school is found guilty of malpractice, everyone must be fired and replaced. The principal must get jail time.

Solution #4: Create anger among the populace.
* Distribute flyers showing the consequences of malpractice. For example, show pictures of mother's dying after childbirth and link the death to badly educated doctors and nurses.

Got any more solutions

Let's create a list of solutions to this problem, and submit it to the Governors. No sense in just sitting around and complaining about it.

Good solutions. However, it is not fair to expect students who have not seen a potentiometer to perform electricity practicals. For public schools, the first step will be to equip the schools with the basic equipment or train the teachers. In the alternative, the schools should opt for the "alternative practical" option as done in external examinations. Private schools have no excuse whatsoever.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by odinko: 9:35am On May 18, 2013
Writer u are wasting time in Engineering. Write a novel. U can do it.

4 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:46am On May 18, 2013
In my GCE centre in 2005, I was popular in my centre as "that tall guy that's always the first or one of the first to submit". I usually did this so as not to get involved in the chaos when I'm idle after finishing. It happened that on the day of the Maths, I finished the theory about 45 minutes to stop time. But my invigilator wouldn't allow me leave because we were writing the Obj immediately after. Within 10 mins of the Obj starting, most of the hall were submitting because they were copying from pre-shaded expos. 15 mins into the objective exam, I was alone with 2 girls in a hall that previously had over 100 people.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by scampy(m): 9:46am On May 18, 2013
phildon: Which engineering discipline did you read? Noisemaker! A true engineering graduate will never bore his reader with this needless and over flogged NYSC story. A true engineer will go straight to the point. Worse still, there is nothing spectacular in your message. This manner of exam malpractice is in each of the 774 LGAs of the country. Just another waste of time!

Mr Hater, we don c u.

3 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by chinedumo(m): 10:02am On May 18, 2013
slimyem: the bolded part made me chuckle.

Op,I am not surprised at your story.These things happen in the so called "Centre of Excellence" too. I served in a private school in Lagos and I was one corp member that made it hellish for authorities in the school because of my refusal to participate/help students solve their exam questions.
I was told by the school principal that its no big deal even as the proprietor of the school is a redeem pastor and fully supportive of it. She said the school apart from being what it is, is also a business enterprise and if. SSCE failure is associated with the school,parents would withdraw their wards. I didn't budge though. It was against everything I stood for and couldn't be a part of it so I didn't show up when they were to write those papers.
Even other teachers in the school said I was a wicked person and dared me to deny that I wasn't "helped" during my time which I did though they disbelieved.

Everything is wrong with the Nigerian system of education.Everything is wrong with how a lot of people see education/certifications-do or die. whatever it takes!The rot is deep and cleansing is almost unacheivable.

Nne are you saying that you are a nice lady?
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Nobody: 10:07am On May 18, 2013
donem: Long piece of shiiiit, very few jobless peeps are gonna read all through this boring writeup.
if u aint interested,get outta here...damn! So many touchy peeps on nl.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by MSEdLAW(m): 10:24am On May 18, 2013
ibiso1986: @ op, I also serve in crossriver state.. Odukpani to be precise... I teach both intro tech and further maths.. The students in the school are smart.. The school has a standard lab for each science subject(biology,physics, chemistry).. It just depends on ur PPA
God bless u ma.... LONG LIVE CREEK TOWN!!! LONG LIVE ODUKPANI LGA!!!
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by MSEdLAW(m): 10:27am On May 18, 2013
slimyem: why waste your time replying him?
He is probably one of those looking for a miracle centre to write his next WAEC..
Abi ooooo!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Nanny's Daughter/ Too Young to Love / Diary Of A Nigeria Yahoo Boy Part One / Lucifer's Key (book Two)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.