Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience (21714 Views)

The Hills Of Emure: My Nysc Camp Story / ROMANTIC NOVEL: The NYSC Experience By Henry Batubo / The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Nobody: 10:47am On May 18, 2013
slimyem: why waste your time replying him?
He is probably one of those looking for a miracle centre to write his next WAEC..
that's why i like slimyem
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 11:05am On May 18, 2013
I like this!

Kairoseki77: We know this happens. The real question is, "How do we change the system so that it stops?"

Who benefits currently? Parents, Students, Teachers, Gov't Officials
Who is harmed? The society at large is robbed of competent, and well educated people. Let's not even mention how scary doctors without a real education are.

Solution #1: Make the test harder to cheat on.
* Make each test slightly unique. For example, create 100 different editions and randomly distribute them so that every school gets dozens of different version of the same test.
* Require schools to submit video of students taking the exams. Video must show the current newspaper, the chalkboard, the teacher, and every student must be visible.

Solution #2: Pay students N100,000 if they can provide proof that someone cheated.
* If 50 people are all sitting in a room trying to cheat, isn't ONE of them going to want the money more than the good grade? That should scare everyone into not cheating.

Solution #3: Forcibly close schools if malpractice is proven.
* As soon as a school is found guilty of malpractice, everyone must be fired and replaced. The principal must get jail time.

Solution #4: Create anger among the populace.
* Distribute flyers showing the consequences of malpractice. For example, show pictures of mother's dying after childbirth and link the death to badly educated doctors and nurses.

Got any more solutions

Let's create a list of solutions to this problem, and submit it to the Governors. No sense in just sitting around and complaining about it.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 11:06am On May 18, 2013
cry cry cry cry cry

mollytinrox: @Slimyem, your case is exactly like mine!

I was just going to point out to the OP that even in our dear, civilized center of excellence, it happens.

I served in a private school too, and I was given more than my due share of workload. I didn't complain when they asked me to coach the students for their WAEC. I bore their rudeness and lackadaiscal attitudes. I'd give them assignments, they'll ignore me. I'd explain the rudiments of Biology practical, they'll be asking me to teach them reproduction.

And on the day of their WAEC Biology exam, they were looking for me. I was at Ogudu for a rally and didn't show up. The principal made my life hell from that moment.
*He reported me to my mommy
*Started with holding my clearance
*Didn't pay me for after school lessons, summer coaching. In all these things, I didn't complain. Because the other corper was doing it, he went about boasting that they won't retain me, and I'll come back to beg on my knees.

God rewarded me, I didn't go back. I didn't even stay on for a day. I got a job even before service year was over, and till date, the children weep when they see me.

They insist that if the result isn't good, parents will not bring their kids. From 23 students, the became 169 during WAEC, because people know its a school where malpractice rocks.

I didn't cheat to pass SSCE, I even wrote it twice before I got a good result, so I won't help anyone cheat. Did the exams get harder overnight?

By the way, the principal said to my shame, he hired the best Biology teacher in the area, and I should go to hell.
All the students had F9. I swear.
All their students who applied to study medicine are back, they wrote it again. I no fit laugh.
There's no hope for Nigeria
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by indoorlove(m): 11:17am On May 18, 2013
phildon: Which engineering discipline did you read? Noisemaker! A true engineering graduate will never bore his reader with this needless and over flogged NYSC story. A true engineer will go straight to the point. Worse still, there is nothing spectacular in your message. This manner of exam malpractice is in each of the 774 LGAs of the country. Just another waste of time!
if u are in the act of exam-malpractice, stop it. Its not good for the development of our nation!.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Nobody: 11:21am On May 18, 2013
[quote author=biolabee}

Bros.. carry go jaawe.. no the man wey wan show us hin get govt connection i dey talk to
You get govt connection, the road for ur house u never fix
You get govt connection, the govt college in your area does not have teachers or equipment

Then you come to NL to misyarn that u will tell commissioner kan,... commissioner ko - confabulate ni undecided tongue tongue

[/quote] LWKMD!
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by EmmyDe25(m): 12:09pm On May 18, 2013
ACM10: Are you writing a novel? C'mon don't bore us with your epistle. Keep it short, simple and straight to the point
Yeah.. The KISS principle if u knw what i mean.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by touchmeder: 12:59pm On May 18, 2013
puskin: So...if you are serving in Ikom....don't do like me ooh. cheesy cheesy

I was the ONLY corper from my batch in my school then.

You sir are an embarrassment! Nothing noble about what you just narrated. People like you contribute to the dirt and gradual death of Nigeria. You were the educated modern day corper brought to make a change or at least not contribute to the decay in the system. You made things worse

2 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by AGgal(f): 1:09pm On May 18, 2013
True story. I'm 4rm ikom n i knw very well wat he's talking abt. But i thank God dat me n my siblings were opportuned to attend d best sch then(FGC IKOM) where high moral standard was maintained. I've witnessed how waec is bin written in two other schs in d LGA and i almost cried 4 dem. Students will sit n wait 4 manna to fall 4rm heaven,no single contribution 4rm dia brains

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by touchmeder: 1:28pm On May 18, 2013

God rewarded me, I didn't go back. I didn't even stay on for a day. I got a job even before service year was over, and till date, the children weep when they see me.

They insist that if the result isn't good, parents will not bring their kids. From 23 students, the became 169 during WAEC, because people know its a school where malpractice rocks.

I didn't cheat to pass SSCE, I even wrote it twice before I got a good result, so I won't help anyone cheat. Did the exams get harder overnight?

By the way, the principal said to my shame, he hired the best Biology teacher in the area, and I should go to hell.
All their students who applied to study medicine are back, they wrote it again. I no fit laugh.

With people like you, there is hope. There is hope
This thread has a profound impact on me because i can easily relate to it. I didnt go to the richest schools (i attended state schools for my primary and secondary education) but education was fair and the teachers did their best even with the government strikes and all. You got what you worked for. There was malpractice but nothing close to what we read or hear of today.

My mother was a principal in a local community school i wont mention the state because i see some people are getting touchy over the mention of certain states so i'd leave that information out.She inherited a school that was used to these sort of exam malpractice and spoon feeding students. She put her foot down and warned anyone who paid to do that at their peril. They thought she was joking but it was no game. She was shunned by everybody for it. The teachers, students, parents, traditional leaders etc. The students ran away to neighboring schools where they could cheat freely and have good grades and the few that remained were not enough in number and so the school could not be used as WAEC centers for practicals.
Her school lost that status and had to merge with a neighboring school for science students to conduct their practicals. Everyone was livid, the traditional rulers were of the opinion she was ruining the only school in their community. She remained steadfast till the end, people began to whisper ''if you wanted your child to go to a GOOD school, send them to ^&*£"%. They may not pass the first time, but the got quality education and eventually did better than their counterpart. It was a hard path to follow and majority of the indigenes didn't understand why she would not budge.She was suddenly posted away from the school after about 2years and we all knew why. She never wavered and left an impression on the people in that community whether for being good or bad lets leave that judgement for God alone. When they say a teacher's reward is in heaven lol i understand

3 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 1:39pm On May 18, 2013
This is inspiring....
At the rate things are going,... aomeone who tries this could lose even more than being redeployed though
I pray for naija

touchmeder:

With people like you, there is hope. There is hope
This thread has a profound impact on me because i can easily relate to it. I didnt go to the richest schools (i attended state schools for my primary and secondary education) but education was fair and the teachers did their best even with the government strikes and all. You got what you worked for. There was malpractice but nothing close to what we read or hear of today.

My mother was a principal in a local community school i wont mention the state because i see some people are getting touchy over the mention of certain states so i'd leave that information out.She inherited a school that was used to these sort of exam malpractice and spoon feeding students. She put her foot down and warned anyone who paid to do that at their peril. They thought she was joking but it was no game. She was shunned by everybody for it. The teachers, students, parents, traditional leaders etc. The students ran away to neighboring schools where they could cheat freely and have good grades and the few that remained were not enough in number and so the school could not be used as WAEC centers for practicals.
Her school lost that status and had to merge with a neighboring school for science students to conduct their practicals. Everyone was livid, the traditional rulers were of the opinion she was ruining the only school in their community. She remained steadfast till the end, people began to whisper ''if you wanted your child to go to a GOOD school, send them to ^&*£"%. They may not pass the first time, but the got quality education and eventually did better than their counterpart. It was a hard path to follow and majority of the indigenes didn't understand why she would not budge.She was suddenly posted away from the school after about 2years and we all knew why. She never wavered and left an impression on the people in that community whether for being good or bad lets leave that judgement for God alone. When they say a teacher's reward is in heaven lol i understand

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Fajzay: 1:49pm On May 18, 2013
ibiso1986: lol.. Which of the villages in rivers state

You wan go serve there? lolzzz
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by phemi01(m): 1:58pm On May 18, 2013
What's aLl this long n boring story for. Na u go 1st do NYSC abi na u go 1st experience exam malpractice. If u wona talk abt malpractice whch a lot of matured ppl already knw abt, just go straight to d point. Stop feeling fly cos sme secondary schl teenagers are interstd in ur crappy tales. Y not tell us abt how u grew up as well. Dull engineer. U must b a SISSY.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Fajzay: 2:05pm On May 18, 2013

I was just going to point out to the OP that even in our dear, civilized center of excellence, it happens.

I served in a private school too, and I was given more than my due share of workload. I didn't complain when they asked me to coach the students for their WAEC. I bore their rudeness and lackadaiscal attitudes. I'd give them assignments, they'll ignore me. I'd explain the rudiments of Biology practical, they'll be asking me to teach them reproduction.

And on the day of their WAEC Biology exam, they were looking for me. I was at Ogudu for a rally and didn't show up. The principal made my life hell from that moment.
*He reported me to my mommy
*Started with holding my clearance
*Didn't pay me for after school lessons, summer coaching. In all these things, I didn't complain. Because the other corper was doing it, he went about boasting that they won't retain me, and I'll come back to beg on my knees.

All the students had F9. I swear.[i][/i] grin
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by lockedOut: 2:52pm On May 18, 2013
After going through the tread I guess my own case while serving is quite different, the students in the school I was posted to were so brilliant that they couldn't write their own WAEC exams themselves!
What the school does is to sit the ss3 students in the hall then comb the school for average students who have good handwriting and put those ones in a separat class where the answers are written on the board and the junior ones would in turn copy it into the answer booklet given to them. When the junior ones are through with the copying the teachers take the answer sheets from them and share it to the WAEC candidates to write their own names on it.
I spoke to the principal about this and he said see, it is not our fault that most of these students when they come from the primary school can't read and write and I should not expect a secondary school teacher to start teaching A for Apple when he has his own subject to teach. He said if they refuse to promote them they will go to another school and will be promoted! Some of the students even promote themselves by joining their colleagues in the next class after failing the previous year. Th state government is not helping matters, they compel the principals to meet a standard passing score if they are to be given state allocation (whatever that is), so the best bet for the principal is to jack up the score and make sure all his students pass! The government owned primary school was close to our lodge and while passing through at times, you would hear the primary school teachers teaching the students in their native language as if that is what they will use to write their exams!
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 3:18pm On May 18, 2013
phemi01: What's aLl this long n boring story for. Na u go 1st do NYSC abi na u go 1st experience exam malpractice. If u wona talk abt malpractice whch a lot of matured ppl already knw abt, just go straight to d point. Stop feeling fly cos sme secondary schl teenagers are interstd in ur crappy tales. Y not tell us abt how u grew up as well. Dull engineer. U must b a SISSY.

Are you feeling some sense of guilt?

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Phrankin(m): 3:20pm On May 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: We know this happens. The real question is, "How do we change the system so that it stops?"

Who benefits currently? Parents, Students, Teachers, Gov't Officials
Who is harmed? The society at large is robbed of competent, and well educated people. Let's not even mention how scary doctors without a real education are.

Solution #1: Make the test harder to cheat on.
* Make each test slightly unique. For example, create 100 different editions and randomly distribute them so that every school gets dozens of different version of the same test.
* Require schools to submit video of students taking the exams. Video must show the current newspaper, the chalkboard, the teacher, and every student must be visible.

Solution #2: Pay students N100,000 if they can provide proof that someone cheated.
* If 50 people are all sitting in a room trying to cheat, isn't ONE of them going to want the money more than the good grade? That should scare everyone into not cheating.

Solution #3: Forcibly close schools if malpractice is proven.
* As soon as a school is found guilty of malpractice, everyone must be fired and replaced. The principal must get jail time.

Solution #4: Create anger among the populace.
* Distribute flyers showing the consequences of malpractice. For example, show pictures of mother's dying after childbirth and link the death to badly educated doctors and nurses.

Got any more solutions

Let's create a list of solutions to this problem, and submit it to the Governors. No sense in just sitting around and complaining about it.

You must be a dreamer
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by barag(f): 3:37pm On May 18, 2013
bankoleben:

Are you feeling some sense of guilt?
nice question.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by modele2: 3:56pm On May 18, 2013
Then they graduate with nothing in their brains and have the effrontery to envy people with good jobs or businesses. Still expecting the manna at every stage of their lives. I blame families, i blame mothers,. A family without values is a curse to a nation. This thread caused me intense heartache like someone died.. A loved one... My country

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 4:30pm On May 18, 2013
On the eve of Mathematics paper - which came up a week after English language - I was on my way home after the days teaching when I met some WAEC candidates discussing at the school gate. I was quick to recognise one of them, who was one of the Physics students who showed little knowledge of graph plotting during the Physics practical, so I moved towards them.
"Oga Corpo, good afternoon sir," they greeted.
I asked them the paper they would be writing (or should it be copying?) the following day.
"We're having Mathematics tomorrow," they chorused.
Of course, I knew it was Mathematics, I just wanted them to say it with their mouths because I didn't expect them to be playing around. Not that I was surprised though, it wouldn't make any difference if they studied or not - they would still copy the answers from the board.
"How are you preparing for the paper?" I teased them. My motive for the conversation was to see if they would fell any sense of shame or guilt in their actions. From their response, any doubt about them having such feeling was dispelled.
"We've prepared, but we will need the full cooperation of the school." Some of them smiled briskly as they said this.
To them, school's cooperation is equivalent to partnering them in cheating. I was determined to push them harder.
"But that's what they've been doing for the past three years, getting you prepared for this exam." I pretended as though I didn't understand what they meant by 'full cooperation'.
"Not that one," they said. "We need to work together tomorrow."
After hitting them with some harsh words, I decided it was enough, leaving them behind.

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Ngenge(m): 4:54pm On May 18, 2013
95% of us were involved in malpractice during our time. It is in different categories 4m speaking wit anoda candidate durin exam,wispering, giraffing,copying, asking 4 explaination 4m anoda during d exam etc. What we ar seeing here is d extreme involvement in malpractice.I served in ACSS Isanlu,yagba east of Kogi. The V.P (acad)made sure all d corpers were banned 4m d exam hall[ss3] becos we ar a threat to their activities.We relaxed cos we heard we will be paid 200 naira anyday we invigilated which is an amount 4 d destitutes. I taught physics to all the senior students nd maths 4 only SS1. I was like a prince there becos d corpers in my batch and d batch joining later[8 of us],I WAS d only science graduate among them. None of them repeats any class,if not,na translocation to anoda skul nd they want more numbers here. An SS1 guy hav not paid skul fees since JSS1 but he's been promoting himself wit or witout taking test nd exam. D skul fees as at 2011/12 is 1700 naira. An SS1 guy cant write A-Z witout mistake,anoda dont knw hw to press ordinary calculator[not scientific one]. D total number of students 4m class 1 to 6 ar not up to 380. I learnt a lot there BUT most of them are respectful,punctual to skul and most of them ar neat in appearance. May d Lord help this nation.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by MaziOmenuko: 5:01pm On May 18, 2013
slimyem: Mollytrinox,I see you jare!

My question though is why these things never stop despite that the results of malpractice centres are usually seized or involved in mass failure because malpractice is usually found out during the marking process especially if the whole centre or a group seem to have written similar things and made similar mistakes.If not found out by markers,it would by checkers or vetters...

Now I have to comment. . .

Someone said this was a pyramid and I couldn't agree more. Inasmuch as this story looks fictious, its real and a clear example of what is happening in our secondary schools. Waec cannot deny knowledge of such. Its an open secret, and it gets worse.

Students travel far and wide to write exams, so the principal is left in a dilemma of either approving such, or risk loosing his students to other willing centers.

And for those marking the scripts, trust me, waec does not encourage detection of malpractice while marking scripts. When you mark these scripts and observe that students are writing the same thiing, you are expected to fill some forms and present to your coordinator. After a rigorous process, most of which involving extra stress from your own part, you are paid one naira (yea, one naira per group of suspected malpractice papers). And by the next year, you will automatically be dropped from marking waec papers, reason is unknown, but its not unconnected to the fact that you reported a supposedly malpractice. Again, if you notify them of a possible malpractice, you will be invited to a waec panel to tell them how it is a malpractice center. The panel might hold at illorin or makurdi. Worse still, they will grill you like you are trying to frame a bunch of innocent students, since the original center supervisor did not write anything negative against the center during the main exam.

So what we that mark the question papers does is to grade them like that, just mark and pass. Its even easier for the marker because you end up allocating almost the same grade to the students, since they wrote the same thing; by so doing, you can mark more packs and get more money cool
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by Mayor21(m): 5:13pm On May 18, 2013
Mehn. .ah love dt town ikom. I live dr 4 ova 3yrs. . . .bankole u wiked o. .datz ma aunt,shes d principal of d skul!. I wil tel ha. .corper bankole!!!
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 5:44pm On May 18, 2013
The following morning, few minutes after the assembly, a teacher stormed into the corpers' office looking for Victor. Incidentally, that same Tuesday was for the monthly clearance of Batch B corpers, hence Victor was away at Ikom for his clearance. He had come looking for him to help in solving the exam questions. When he realised that Victor would not be available he reconsidered his options, and guess who was the next on his list, me!
"Are you not the corper taking Physics?" he asked, fixing his gaze on me, just like that lame man at the Beautiful Gate did to Peter and John.
"Yes, I am." I knew where the question was leading to.
"Would you come around to help SS3 students?" He was direct in his approach. I wasn't going to beat about the bush either.
"No, I wouldn't be available."
From my body language, he knew it would be a waste of time trying to persuade me to change my decision. But he wouldn't give up easily.
"Is there any other corper who is Mathematics-inclined?"
"They are not around," I replied.
He turned around and left. He hasn't got all day to devise an alternative plan.
When students went out for labour later in the day, some of them were asked to cut grasses around the corpers' lodge, so we were there to supervise them. It didn't take long for them to clear the whole place, so we the corpers decided to stay back in the lodge till the labour period would be over. As we were seated chatting in the sitting room, we received an unusual visitor.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by eagleeye2: 6:10pm On May 18, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

So what we that mark the question papers does {DO} is to grade them like that, just mark and pass.

Mazi, I agree with all you have said. We that work with the Ministry of Education have seen it all.
But I didn't expect you to make the above mistake, since you just corrected somebody on another thread.

Sanboy25: I doesn't receive PM on my mail trough Nairaland

¤faints¤

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by touchmeder: 6:19pm On May 18, 2013
biolabee: This is inspiring....
At the rate things are going,... aomeone who tries this could lose even more than being redeployed though
I pray for naija

You are right, one needs to be strong, determined and convinced without a shadow of doubt to carry on such a crusade. Not everyone can carry the burden. I personally was worried for her. All of us were and sometimes begged her to ignore them but she would refuse and say ''if i turn a blind eye, i may easily join them''. I must confess it gave me great joy grin cheesy when she was eventually posted away from that community...

1 Like

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 6:43pm On May 18, 2013
"My children how are you doing?" It was the Principal. She had come under the guise of knowing how we were faring, but we soon realised the purpose of her visit.
"I hope you're enjoying your stay here," she asked. Perhaps managing, instead of enjoying, should have been the more appropriate word. After discussing for a few minutes, she finally came out of hiding.
"These children are writing Maths today, are you not helping them?" I knew the question was directed at me because other corps members present - Tayo and Victoria - were teaching Financial Accounting and Economics respectively.
"It is against my ideology," I said in a low voice. The question caught me unawares.
She pretended she didn't hear me clearly, asking for my response once again.
"It is against my personal principles." This time it was in a loud voice. She didn't say anything again until she was about leaving when she said "let me see the person that came today in the name of supervisor."
Somehow, they still found something to write on the board for the WAEC candidates. It seemed all the schools in the neighborhood had a working relationship concerning examination malpractice.
At the start I thought the problem was only limited to my school, not until I went for the NYSC monthly clearance did I realise it was widespread. When my fellow Batch A corps members narrated what transpired in their schools, mine looked like a child's play.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by eagleeye2: 6:45pm On May 18, 2013
touchmeder:

if you don't mind me asking what year were your mum in that school?
The reason I asked is because things have gotten to a stage that your mum could easily lose her life if she interfered unnecessarily today.
I am in the system and my heart bleeds seeing what the education system is doing to our young ones (especially those in public and semi-private schools).
Even my seniors in the office, have given up hope of things ever changing in the Educational sector at least in our generation.
These days if you try to think out of the box when it comes to exam malpractice, you could easily lose your life.
Shame.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by biolabee(m): 6:46pm On May 18, 2013
touchmeder:

You are right, one needs to be strong, determined and convinced without a shadow of doubt to carry on such a crusade. Not everyone can carry the burden. I personally was worried for her. All of us were and sometimes begged her to ignore them but she would refuse and say ''if i turn a blind eye, i may easily join them''. I must confess it gave me great joy grin cheesy when she was eventually posted away from that community...

May God Help us all
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by armadeo(m): 7:03pm On May 18, 2013
This is serious. I remember in my daycheating in exams never crossed my mind in pry sch. Secondray sch cheating was aiding the boyz but @ great risks cos if the almighty cricket caught u I can assure u that the entire surface of ur posterior fron nape of d neck to achilles tendon will be reconstructed.

I am begining to think this destruction of the educational system is a delibrate ploy to destroy the future of this nation. We all must do what we can to rescue it. Say NO to exam malpractice.
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by toygod2: 7:21pm On May 18, 2013
i luv hearing stories about the ND states like akwa ibom, cross river
Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by bankoleben(m): 7:53pm On May 18, 2013
On and on, day after day, one paper after the other the malpractice went on unchallenged and unabated. It had become a long standing culture everyone was satisfied with.
As I taught SS1 and SS2 students each day, the effect of the malpractice was telling on them. They hardly concentrated, knowing that when it's time for SSCE, answers would be readily made available on the board. It was frustrating.
I thought about the way out and felt if promotion exams at each level would be taken serious, and only students deserving promotion were promoted to the next class, the students would sit up and study hard. But then it's more of a catch-22 situation. Education wasn't free, the students would stop coming to school if they failed, but the schools needed their money hence they kept promoting them so that they would keep coming.

There's a need for drastic change. There is a need to move away from the culture of malpractice and turn to diligence. There's little a corps member like me could do. But I must try, and hope it brings out a positive change. Hope, they say, maketh not ashamed.

In a bid to reverse the trend, I spoke to SS1 and SS2 students. I made them realise the need to be diligent with their studies. They were sober and showed willingness to change.
Knowing that they'd had a poor academic foundation, I organized extra classes for them; teaching Mathematics and Physics, starting from the basics. But these were only two subjects out of many! Well, the believe was that if they could excel in those subjects, they might be convinced that they could do well in other subjects as well.
The early signs were promising.
Perhaps the culture of exam malpractice would stop at Ekirom one day, and who knows, maybe Ikom local government as a whole. Perhaps!
--------------------------------
THE END

5 Likes

Re: Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience by touchmeder: 8:09pm On May 18, 2013
eagle,eye:

if you don't mind me asking what year were your mum in that school?
The reason I asked is because things have gotten to a stage that your mum could easily lose her life if she interfered unnecessarily today.
I am in the system and my heart bleeds seeing what the education system is doing to our young ones (especially those in public and semi-private schools).
Even my seniors in the office, have given up hope of things ever changing in the Educational sector at least in our generation.
These days if you try to think out of the box when it comes to exam malpractice, you could easily lose your life.
Shame.

You are right thinking about it seriously today, i realize her quest to change the system put her in a very very tight corner. This would have been about 5 to 6 years ago. Thinking back i dont recall she was ever frightened or worried more disgusted at the whole situation. She was and is still quite spiritual though so that must have strengthened her. Personally if i were in her shoes i would not have done what she did for i am not that fiery in character. I would have turned a blind eye and not involved myself in any shady deal rather than put myself in the firing line. lipsrsealed undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Nanny's Daughter/ Too Young to Love / Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera / Diary Of A Nigeria Yahoo Boy Part One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.