Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:26 PM

Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment (8725 Views)

Minimum Age For A Lecturing Job / Average Age For Msc / Do You Work Well Under Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by homebase(m): 4:36pm On Apr 21, 2008
Hello house,i am an OND holder in accountancy,32 years old in age.
I just decided to look for work since the business i am doing is not profitable
any more.

The problem is that all my friends who are offering hands of help
to help me secure one are saying i must reduce my age,if i intend
to get employed.They said no company will give me job considering
my age and qualification.

While i appreciate their concern and hands of help,my faith as a christian
will not allow me to do such a thing and more importantly,i want to believe
this is satrting point of courruption which i totally abbhor.

My friends are saying that it is the way people are doing it,but my mind
will not allow me to do such.Though i am not claiming to be mr.perfect,
because on daily basis i am strivingin the Lord to be upright in whatever i am doing.

So please what should i do,i am in need of job badly
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by OscarJ1(m): 5:00pm On Apr 21, 2008
I want to believe this is satrting point of courruption which i totally abbhor.

My friends are saying that it is the way people are doing it,but my mind
will not allow me to do such.Though i am not claiming to be mr.perfect,
because on daily basis i am strivingin the Lord to be upright in whatever i am doing.

Homebase:

If u believe God can give u a job without compromising ur age he will surely do, i know its not easy, its challenging but with God all things r possible.

Have faith.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by koko777(m): 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2008
My guy if your mind isn't doing it. Pray the lord will direct and make way for you. Do not let anyone deceive you, it's possible for you to get even a better pay job with your qualification. All the best!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by MyPeace(f): 5:19pm On Apr 21, 2008
Not all coy emphasis on age, my coy arent interested on ur age, but ur skill and ability. however 32 years is not too old. lt all depends on the job and coy, maybe u want to join UBA cheesy, :Pthey employ ONDs, and banks are generally age crazy.

Abeg hold on to ur faith, u are not too old. All the best. tongue
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by ztyle(m): 5:59pm On Apr 21, 2008
They said no company will give me job considering
my age and qualification
Your age thats the point here, @ 32 men stick to your ex business, if its not profitable then change your style of business think of better business that is profitable,my advice 4 you is to be self employed period or better still put it into prayers, nothing pass baba God. cool
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by dee02(m): 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2008
Well do it if u want a job,
Afterall you wont be the first nor the last, it is standard nowadays,
U may need to get more professional qualifications on board coz truth be told, u old small and with just an OND, u wld struggle!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Busuguma(m): 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2008
I think you should stick to the advice by zstyle.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by bawomolo(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2008
you would get fired if caught lying on ur resume
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by ztyle(m): 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2008
bawomolo:

you would get fired if caught lying on your resume
Good Point,but when you're self employed no Ass can fire you, @ poster you get that. cool
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by blackis(m): 7:48pm On Apr 21, 2008
Dear Homebase,

Let me share a personal experience with you.
After my service year, i was retained at the coy
where i served. However, during my service year
i had forwarded my cv/applications to all manner of
coys, banks, ngo's etc in search for that dream job but
NONE came calling!! You know what? My true age in those
CV's was false!! Needless to say, i'm still waiting to be called
up by just ONE of those places i sent my applications to!!

Now, the ONLY place i chose to fill my correct age is where iam
working today! And it is nearly two years now. It's been wonderful here,
the pay is unbelieavable and i will be on my way for further studies soon.

My brother, it pays to do the right thing. What do you think?
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by homebase(m): 8:11pm On Apr 21, 2008
I want to thank everyone for the words of encouragement
and advice,i pray that God will surely meet you all at the point
of your needs,in Jesus mighty name,amen.

I believe in God that,there is nothing He can not do.

Once again,i thanks you all.

1 Like

Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by 3dhunter(m): 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2008
Be guided by your conscience.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by winnteam(m): 8:40pm On Apr 21, 2008
@ dee02
They if you do not stand for something you will fall for anything.

Short cut will cut you shot.

You need a renewal of your mind. The future of the country is bleak because we have too many people with this mind set in our midst. I wonder the type of "lie" you had to tell get to the UK.

@homebase
If you really believe in God follow him.
Who says you cannot make it in your present business? I read a book recently that changed my life completely. It is totally free. www.scienceofgettingrich.net you can share it with those friends of yours asking you to change your age. grin
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by ztyle(m): 9:27pm On Apr 21, 2008
Short cut will cut you shot.
Take this Words! wink
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by gbolio4(m): 11:18pm On Apr 21, 2008
Do exactly what you have to do, to get ahead . .  . .

saves you a whole lotta future regretting sessions

that's what experience has taught me
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Dodnextris: 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2008
Mr Homebase

Remember if you are a Christian you are not to conform to the things of this world. Is 8:12 what others are calling conspiracy you should not call it conspiracy, as in don't do or say what others are doing. Normally when your faith is been tested like in this case it means your beakthrough is just round the corner so hang on, hold on to your faith because you know better.

A lot of people like myself are looking and thinking of a business today but don't have a clue and to make it on this earth you must have a business to progress in life.

So what kind of business are you into and why is it not working, what can you do differently. How are your competitors coping, or are they also quieting as well.

Please try and keep your business going if you are passionate and believe in it. But off course keeping searching for your accountancy work with your right age, in order to raise more capital for the business and to substain yourself.

thanks
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by TCUBE(m): 2:20am On Apr 22, 2008
clap for yourself OPURO
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Scopium: 7:48am On Apr 22, 2008
[size=13pt]This is sorta like dilemma. If the end justifies the means then nike it.[/size]
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by outlaws(m): 7:51am On Apr 22, 2008
cool

Hey Poster:If you want the job, then do what you got to do
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2008
Poster, you are asking the above question because of your predicament and everybody that answered have answered well but it all depends on your personal situation. It will be easier for a teenager that is in school where all his or her needs are taken care of by a guardian to tell you not to change your age. Your situations do not look alike neither will it ever be the same.
I will say that if you are really in a fix with no where to go from here, then change your age. It is for you to feed yourself not any one here, with that in mind, you should do the best thing for yourself which is for you to lower your age and get a job. Jacob wouldn't have had to cover himself in sheep skin to get blessed if he had alternatives. Everyday you are thinking about it, adds a day to your age. Whatever you need to do should be now. Your children wouldn't forgive you if you gave them the above reason for being poor.
You are not under any pressure from any person, if you can tell yourself the truth, the pressure is from you, by you and for you and you have your reasons for that pressure which definitely is not to allow this life pass you by in your present unemployed state.
There are advices that i can take from Nairaland and those that I can not take, being that most of the posters are dependents and can not understand what it feels like to come home empty handed and look at the face of your dependents as hunger dey wire them.
While at the job, try as much as possible to further your education and your reduced age will be a plus to it. If you are waiting for manna to fall from heaven, remember how long the isrealites trespassed the wildernes before they had manna, are you willing to wait that long? God helps those that help themselves.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Tonyblu(m): 9:25am On Apr 22, 2008
nobilia:

Poster, you are asking the above question because of your predicament and everybody that answered have answered well but it all depends on your personal situation. ,

Nobilia seems to have wrapped it all up.

@Homebase, it really depends on you.
There are people whose folks didnt have a record of their birth, yet they chose a "functional age" which they hav been working and living with.
By how many years were u asked to make d reduction? What benefits do u hav to gain?
What other options do you have? How well have you explored those other options?
I guess people can only giv u advice but it's upto u to make the informed decision and stand by that decision.
AGE aint NOTHING but a number!!
God's speed
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by adetunrayo(f): 9:40am On Apr 22, 2008
Dont lie.Hold on to God he will see u tru.(looking unto Jesus the author and the finisher of our faith)
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by komekn(m): 9:49am On Apr 22, 2008
Homebase,
You are the salt of the earth, no longer confirming to the pattern of this world, the righteous will face persucutiioon but the Lord G
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by akara(m): 9:53am On Apr 22, 2008
Age could be an advantage.  A company might be looking for a matured
person with experience and not a newbie with hot pants but no experience.

Its just that Nigerian companies are die hard on degrees
and not much on experience.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by komekn(m): 10:00am On Apr 22, 2008
Homebase,
You are the salt of the earth, no longer confirming to the pattern of this world, the righteous will face persecution but the Lord God will see you through.
God is not looking for successful people but the faithful, you are not old. Begin to walk by faith that’s the only way to please God, who elevates man or God? Who do you believe? I can assure you one revelation word will propel you a hundred times more than a thousand words from supposed wise men.
It’s not easy; the proof of your desire is in the pursuit chase God, lift up your expectation. Put the doubters to shame, I expect to see your testimony, Nuff said.

P.S. fingers slipped on the key board hence the 1st post incomplete.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Aladunni(f): 10:03am On Apr 22, 2008
@ tonyblu

There are people whose folks didnt have a record of their birth, yet they chose a "functional age" which they hav been working and living with.
[b]AGE aint NOTHING but a number!![/b

positive?

You mean he can go ahead and reduce his age?  lipsrsealed

i thot you are spiritual
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by cyriluzo(m): 10:20am On Apr 22, 2008
Tough time never last, but tough people do!, Integrity is a virtue. The righteous and his seed would never be forgotten nor forsaken.
If it ever happens then God is a liar.

I advise you pray and know what God wants of you. If its an employment, then forget your age. It wont be a hinderance
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 22, 2008
the righteous will face persucutiioon

I am not seeing any persecution here, what persecution are u talking about? Is it the fact that the guy has "only"OND? or the fact that he is 32? Those are facts of life and facts of this case as they were brought to us. Persecution has nothing on this, where did the persecution come in on this and who persecuted who? You are the kind of person that recommends exorcism to a simple Malaria case.
Life is not a novel by Hardly Chase or Mills and boom. If you cared to be wise before answering you should have known from the words of the poster that he has been givin this a lot of thought and it has become a burden to him and what you need to do to get a good advice that will help the poster is by breaking down the facts which are: He thinks that he is old to get a job. It is not that he does not want to work neither is it that they do not want to employ him because he is catholic or a christian. He has only OND. The poster seems like somebody that would have loved to study further when he was young and he did not, you can only adduce that circumstances made him stop half way. Going back to school will add to his years which is not what the poster told us he wants to do. He needs a job badly and you all are coming up with answers like exorcism, prayer, watch, wait, go back to business(with ur money abi?), go back to school (to make the guy reach 40?). In the olden days we use to say think before you talk now it is all about think before you type, this goes to all advisers that are seeking to wreck this man life in the name of computers and availability of keyboards. Some of us here can afford the life we are leaving now because of the lies their fathers lied to get residency where they are. And my fellow country man has a biting problem of this nature, being a good citizen and willing to work and you tell me to agree with all you are telling him. Wait till he takes a gun to Lagos Badagry expressway before you answer him realstically.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by ManJaf: 11:06am On Apr 22, 2008
Nobila, it is good that you can truly look at things and identify the facts from fantacy. However, I disagree that we need to lie to move froward in life. It is things like these that keep Africa where it is now. So when we find one brother who is willing to do the right thing, please lets encourage him. The USA was not built on lies. Once you begin to lie about your age, the pressure to lie on other things beginsd to mount, and before you know it, you will be changing fifures in the office, then onto burning down office complexes to hide your dirty acts, and probably killing the arsonist you hired.

It is simply not worth it.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 22, 2008
Man Jaf

You will make a good screenwriter.

LMAO
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by dee02(m): 11:35am On Apr 22, 2008
cyriluzo:

Tough time never last, but tough people do!, Integrity is a virtue. The righteous and his seed would never be forgotten nor forsaken.
If it ever happens then God is a liar.

I advise you pray and know what God wants of you. If its an employment, then forget your age. It wont be a hinderance

Dem don come again, pastor chike!
na so so preach preach for forums!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Ebonyj(f): 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2008
Homebase, If you really believe in God, then ask him and have faith that you have received it, and you definitely will receive it. You do not have to lie about your age or anything else.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinese Expats Treat Nigerian Employees As Punching Bags - SaharaReporters / Am I The One Killing My Boss Business / Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.