Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment (8742 Views)

Minimum Age For A Lecturing Job / Average Age For Msc / Do You Work Well Under Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Echeozo(m): 5:02pm On Apr 22, 2008
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by palmwine(m): 1:06am On Apr 23, 2008
Its neither here nor there. If you get in thru a false age and the coy sees that you are good, I doubt if they will fire you because of the age thing.

And if they ask you tell them someone else filled the form for you. Isn't that what our politians says grin
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by AngelJ3: 10:36am On Apr 23, 2008
pls my brother i would like u to continue putting ur trust on God, He will surely give u a better job, don't ask how and when, He will do it at his own time.

Just ve faith, am a living testimony, He did it 4me he will also do urs.

Cheers! cheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Aboyeji: 1:01pm On Apr 23, 2008
Seek advice from a geniuely man of God about this matter.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Aboyeji: 3:00pm On Apr 23, 2008
What is faith? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (HEB 11:1).

Time is not waiting for any one, ask for God wisdom about this matter. I can't say you should not reduce age or otherwise, but don't let everything turn upside down b/4 you will know what to do. I want you to understand that, you will loose many jobs if you fail to reduce age. We are in computer age. Think fast b/4 everything will late, I pray your time will not pass you bye.

Those people that advised you not to reduce your age have their points and those people that advice you to reduce age really want you to know what's happening in the Labour market.

Friends want to help you, pls help yourself, bible say's heaven help those people whom help themselves. Grab the opportunity you have now.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by richness(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2008
@first poster
i think the guy should spend time developing himself or look at even starting a business
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by degubi(m): 8:41am On Apr 24, 2008
aboyeji bible did not say heaven helps those who help themselves please do not misquote, to the poster if u want to reduce ur age that is ur choice, u alone will face the music.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by fillox: 8:49am On Apr 24, 2008
Homebase, I understand your predicament. This is the plight of millions of Nigerian youths. My advice is that you follow your heart. This is your immediate and conscious Judge. You'll find a way out!!!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by FBS: 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2008
don't lie about anything!!!!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by realdemi(f): 2:19pm On Apr 24, 2008
It's so easy to follow the crowd nowadays. I was in your shoes sometime ago. I strongly believe in telling the truth especially at odd times. I stuck with my conviction and it paid off. Now, i have a job that is truly a stepping stone for greater heights.

Hold on! And whilst waiting, try and improve yourself (learn a skill, enroll for HND etc).And try your hands on any business u can find.!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Meldrick(m): 2:28pm On Apr 24, 2008
God blesses the handwork of a man. As a Christian, he'll surely bless your buisness. I believe you should be led before leaving your buisness because your blessings might be there but if you are bent on getting a job there are jobs for every ages and your age is not exclusive. There are jobs for people in the 30's and it is never given to anyone in the 20's. You know that your DESTINY MIGHT BE DELAYED BUT CANNOT BE DENIED. Have Faith
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Obialor16(m): 3:21pm On Apr 24, 2008
Hi dear,
Please maintain your intergrity.there is practically nothing our God cannot do.sarah had a son at the age of 90.that same God is available today.Jer 32:27 says He is the God of all flesh ,there is no difficulty with Him. I had the same challenge,i told God that if i dont get employed cos of my age,i will rather apply as a full time pastor in my mission but thanks be to God i am in my third job in two years and will be resuming the fourth one in two weeks in a miraculous fahion.my age was never asked in all the interviews i attended.just continue to pray and expect miracles.Prya that He should open youe eyes to other business ventures just in case He does not want you to work.so keep up the good work in God and expect great things.you shall step into the miraculous.GOD bless you
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by tyna1(f): 9:50am On Apr 25, 2008
@poster you mentioned that your business is no longer doing well hence the need for a job.
Have you tried to find a way to make your business more profitable,find out why it failed,i doubt
if you will be satisfied working for someone after being self employed.Most people want to
leave their work for business.Goodluck,your faith will see you through.
@32 years are you married? I am just wondering because you might have little mouths to feed.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by frank316(m): 10:29am On Apr 25, 2008
@poster
I believe most people who advice u here in the name of the Lord, are probably below 27 and have things moving easy for them. this age thing is very sick and very unneccary to me, but belive me if i were you i wont let it bother me.

WAIT UPON THE LORD? while this is a good advice, i will also wish them to get feed you while u wait.

it is really difficult to get a job once you are above 27 and you dont have any work experience, infact it is almost impossible, if you like wait for angel Micheal.

more people than you think reduce their age, i dont see it as sin, and it does not change who you are. it does not stop you from serving God. infact once you do it it seizes to become an issue. there is no repacussion, infact even most employees know that most people dont come looking for job with there real age. they just want the number there, after al it does not make much difference, the age obvoiusly will not affect how you work.

Listen if you are good, the country needs you to work for her and the best way is to reduce your age and help your self as well as your country. Good luck
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by frank316(m): 10:47am On Apr 25, 2008
Holy advisers, do you know that getting a job now requires connection? i think that should also be considered as sin, since it makes you not follow the due process, its like going through the window while others are going through the door.

pehaps if the poster needed advice on this, you guys will tell him to wait on the Lord, common, there some issues that God xpects you to know the right choice to make.

he needs a job, please help him do the right thing( reduce his age quickly, and look for connection, without these tow things, i wonder what will happen)
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by luridguy(m): 2:06pm On Apr 25, 2008
@ frank their are different kinds of connection,knowing someone who can put in a good word for you and help in any other way is not bad

@poster if you know you will not be at peace if you lie about your age then don't do it stick to what you believe in
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by frank316(m): 2:43pm On Apr 25, 2008
@luridguy
reducing your age can be your only connection
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by jintujinta(m): 4:59pm On Apr 25, 2008
Well, since you have to work, i think if you have to do it, pls do it. But in doing it, please mind how you cut your age o. So you wont be starting primary school at the age of two. The truth is that employers believe in bringing in new blood but i believe that age does not really matter. So do what you have to do to get your job afterall , all those players are doing it and becoming millionaires.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by tomX1(m): 5:56pm On Apr 25, 2008
I am 32yrs old now, a university drop out and I presently don't have any certificate of any kind (not even a birth certificate). I run my own bussiness from home and I am making good money. Every now and againg I do go for interview in companies ( I am talking about oil & gas / Civil engineering firms) and I let them know my age and educational status first off. I show them what I can do and let them know the terms under which I am willing to work (I ussualy like to work freelance so that I will have time for other things - besides I don't like to get tied down).  At the end of the interviews I end up with a job and a nice pay pack and work flexible conditions compared to regular staff. The least amount I've negotiated for is actualy #1,200 per hour and you know what that boils down per month (multiply by 160).
If you are are skilled and good enough to deliver the goods then things like age and certificate (or lack of it) will not realy hold you down. Maintain your integrity no matter what you do.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 25, 2008
whil i didn't have to do it, i know a lot of people who incidentally are great professionals who did just that.

consider the nigerian situation - you finish school at 17/18 -
you then spend 2-3 years fighting JAMB.

you enter school at 20. add 2 years (miniumu) of ASUU strikes etal, a skewed school calendar, and you come out at 27. then depending on the vagaries of NYSC, if your name goes in the right batch, you put in another year. so you're 28 yeras old. largely through no fault of your own, you are at least two years above the minumum gae of some really cool companies. so what do you do?

i know a lot of guys in a top accounting firm that as an entry level age of 26. they did what they had to do, and today, they're high flying professionals. those guys who keep harping on prayer proably want you to become a pastor - at least the religion industry does not have an 'entry level' age.

@ poster, do what you have to do, but also be prepared to face the consequences.in truth, most employers dont give two about forging age( unless they are on a downsizing binge) - just don't do something really crooked like forging your degree. now that is a NONO
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by BTT(m): 9:21am On Apr 28, 2008
When I was lookin 4 a job, I felt there was no point downsizing my age. I was 27.

ALL my highflying cousins advised I cut my age. One outrightly told me "wa pe" (Meaning 'you will obviously delay in futility' in Yoruba). Another specifically re-did my resume to his choice age for me before pushing d cv 2 his connections.

Funny enough, none of their efforts, I mean serious efforts yielded as little as an invitation to write a test. All the calls I had were where I personally submitted my resume with my real age.

Today, I am happily on a job that I applied for with my real age and without ANY connection but God's.

So Poster, the choice is yours, but my advise is BE WHO YOU ARE AND BE PROUD YOU ARE. Of course except u consider urself a failure!
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by bigben3: 10:15am On Apr 29, 2008
, what does it profit a man who gained the whole world but loose his soul? you've got to listen to your heart cool
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by desgiezd(m): 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2008
Irrespective of your age, the job that God has destined for you will surely come to you. Do not alter your age in any way. I'll rather you offend men and be on the right side with God. Remember, no one, I repeat, no one goes into business with God and comes out a failure. My brother, let God be God in your life and He will do it but at His own time. I know someone who has attained the post of a branch manager in one of the old generation banks before some discrepancies were discovered in his age. He was advised to resign his appointment. It is the blessings of God that maketh rich without adding sorrows to it. Hold thou fast to thy faith and God shall strengthen thou.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by markfizz: 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2008
Bruva be guided by ur consience,
Know that there is no such thing as middle btw rite or wrong,
the action u must take must either be rite or wrong,
or do u believe the END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS?
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by hahaha2(m): 2:48pm On Apr 30, 2008
TO Homebase
If i were in an employer of labour and someone came into my office looking for a job, 32 yr old,OND holder, and zero job experience. The first que i ask the guy is "WHAT WERE You DOIN ALL THE WHILE" no certifications, no extra degree, no nothing, that clearly shows a distinct lack of ambition on the guys part, no matter how much he wants the job or how fast he thinks he can learn on the job, i wont give him the job.

But if on the other hand i see a 32yr old,OND holder, zero job experience, but a truck load a certifications to buffer the zero experience factor, and he can prove to me that those certifications were no fluke, then i will be willing to give this second candidate a chance over the first. "just my view"

So Bottom line put yourself in a position were someone can actually help you, do a course, do something, anything u can to better your resume.

"Success or failure in business is not down to how much u rise and fall, but how long u last"
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by kambo(m): 3:03pm On May 06, 2008
hello, hope u'll still read feedbacks.
ur 32, wow!! ur fellow job seekers are like 22 10 year difference it looks long and the temptation to 'drop down' some notches is there. but u can't see the future, non of those
pressuring u to lie can see the future. even the fear u fear hints on what isnt yet real but
i know the 'Bible' u believe in 'says' God can 'see' or is 'holds' the future,so if the One who can alter the future says 'dont lie' who would u obey?
typical testimonies may go like, ' i was tempted to reduce my age , i didnt then divinely i got a ,plum job, after speaking in tongues all night etc', well things don't work that way.
u may be on the street for the next ,God forbid, 5 years because u refuse to 'reduce' ur age. but if u believe in God its not in church it will be proved it's in the real world , in situations like this. so its up to u to show who or what really u believe in.
if God is real,u'll fail if u lie else u have nothing to lose. if u don't reduce ur age and things
turn out well for u in the end,ur story will change a lot of lives and encourage others who
would hitherto have lied to stick to their convictions. u see ur actions affects a whole lot of
others , so play the game right .
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by ujahcash(m): 4:57pm On May 07, 2008
Please at no time should lower our age. If a job is requiring an age range to me it should be against the law but in Nigeria and some other countries it is not, but if they have placed an age range and you are above such: the best thing would be that you search within yourself for what you can offer to this country and beyond - become that enterprise you have always wanted to be. An adversity like this, would bring the best innovative idea out. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by donmayor(m): 8:04pm On May 07, 2008
No dull yourself, age is a number. If you dont want to reduce, then don't bother applying for certain jobs especially entry level bank jobs.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Akintoso: 10:29am On May 08, 2008
There is only one way to bring JOY to the soul, PEACE to the mind, BEAUTY to the life, FULFILLMENT to the career and BEST to the end. It is no other way than to accept and do the WILL of GOD. TRUTH and HONESTY are cores in the will of GOD ALMIGHTY.
Remember, GOD knows where HE is taking you to. Do not change the will of GOD for your life. HE WILL SURELY PROVIDE THE BEST FOR YOU, EVEN AT YOUR AGE. Be expectant. HE is by your side. Do not fail this test of FAITH. Refuse to compromise.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by Akintoso: 10:41am On May 08, 2008
Look! never lost hope, becos if u do, it will bring u to a draft end, understand. Always have faith in the LORD OUR GOD, he has the keys of our LIFE in his hand, Keep it up, u will get it one day, [no b by age b d tin,na watin u carry 4 ur haed na e matter]
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by tundetolu: 12:09pm On May 08, 2008
hello mr! DONT REDUCE YOUR AGE FOR NOTHING, cos no matter what happen the company that you are applying to will get to know the truth someday.
and the fact remains that as a christian when you start lieing, you will want to cover that lie with another, andyet another. until you discover you dont know who you are again.
Re: Under Pressure To Reduce My Age For Employment by tundetolu: 12:12pm On May 08, 2008
degubi, God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinese Expats Treat Nigerian Employees As Punching Bags - SaharaReporters / Am I The One Killing My Boss Business / Mental Health Issues In The Workplace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.